Options

Yield Vinyl old v new comparrison

Comments

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    I'm also glad that people are getting these reissues! Its not like you're getting some crap bootleg - so newbs, enjoy these records & audiophile/nerds, relax - the OPs are still awesome!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,655
    edited September 2016

I'm also glad that people are getting these reissues! Its not like you're getting some crap bootleg - so newbs, enjoy these records & audiophile/nerds, relax - the OPs are still awesome!

Exactly. Both copies are good, I was just really impressed with the reissue and you can't beat it for the money, especially if you don't own an original copy on vinyl already. I just wanted to note the differences I heard while doing a comparison. Remember one thing that most people seem to let fly out the window a lot too- we all have different ears and hear things slightly differently and we are all listening in different rooms with different equipment. My original copy will remain in my collection but will be played much less now because its more valuable and the new copy sounds really good. Its really a win win.
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • Options
    lotsalemonlotsalemon Boston Posts: 2,734

When I get my reissues the originals are being sealed away until that day arrives when they need to be set free again.

This.
    Or just buy a second copy of the reissues and store the originals in a vault!
    Mansfield 06.28.2008 | Boston 05.17.2010 | Boston 06.19.2011 EV solo | Wrigley Field 07.19.2013 | Worcester 10.15.2013 | Worcester 10.16.2013 | Hartford 10.25.2013
    Vancouver 12.04.2013 | Seattle 12.06.2013 | Memphis 10.14.2014 | Quebec City 05.05.2016 | Ottawa 05.08.2016 | Toronto 05.11.2016 | Boston 08.05.2016 | Boston 08.07.2016 | Amsterdam 06.12.2018 | Boston 09.02.2018 | Boston 09.04.2018

• Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    I'm hearing that there seems to be warping issues with the No Code reissue from a lot of people.
    Anyone hear this or can attest?
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    My Yield copy has a slight warp but doesn't effect anything.
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    The warping is Stone's fault. He wants the A/C at the warehouse kept at 88.

You would think he would want it at 58 so he could break out the turtleneck's again. Oh well
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951

I'm hearing that there seems to be warping issues with the No Code reissue from a lot of people.
    Anyone hear this or can attest?

I have head that, and it is suggested that it has to do with the packaging
  • Options
    here's a thread I created at another forum/message board about the re-issues - it's worth the time to read.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/pearl-jam-to-re-issue-no-code-and-yield-on-vinyl.537613/
  • Options
    Hmmm, looks like we may see a line forming here soon to return warped No Code records.
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148

here's a thread I created at another forum/message board about the re-issues - it's worth the time to read.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/pearl-jam-to-re-issue-no-code-and-yield-on-vinyl.537613/

Thanks for this, buck. I'm only a few pages in and thankful you linked it. If only I didn't have a fantasy draft right now I'd finish it.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options

I love reading other forums where they make fun of our board.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Vinyl Collective yes, Hoffman no.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,720

I love reading other forums where they make fun of our board.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Good read tho, seems like the audiophile club thinks both suck but yield should be an upgrayedd. Also a lot of no codes are pressed off center supposedly :(
  • Options
    It's hard being an audiophile and a Pearl Jam fan. ;)
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631

It's hard being an audiophile and a Pearl Jam fan. ;)

Truest statement I've heard. I'm consistently underwhelmed by the quality of the pressings.

And Steve Hoffman is a great place to get good information on vinyl. Before I attempt to upgrade any vinyl from a previous press or a cd, I research there.
  • Options
    Interesting to see someone on SHF said that the tmr pressing sucked. I've been the jerkoff unimpressed with it over here lol, nice to have a buddy over there :)
  • Options

Interesting to see someone on SHF said that the tmr pressing sucked. I've been the jerkoff unimpressed with it over here lol, nice to have a buddy over there :)

:lol:
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    I'll wait until I get my copies to do my own comparison but not surprised to see some of the comments on other boards. I wasnt expecting a miraculous reissue with unbelievable sound, I kind of expected a lateral shift in quality but hoped for a minor to moderate improvement.
    I'll see what my ears think whenever my copies arrive.
  • Options

Love this. Thanks buck. I had been watching and enjoying this thread but obviously didn't know you started it. The Hoffman audio forums in general are such a time sink for me. I can get lost in there for hours.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    edited September 2016

Someone says there that the US 1994 pressing of Ten sounds really good. Glad I read that. Because of the 3 year delay on it, I was thinking a European once might be better, but apparently it's the opposite. Good to know. Thanks for posting. :)
    (there are also some VERY interesting comments regarding BoB and his attitude about how vinyl is sourced, and how Eddie may have acknowledged that BoB gave and I guess still gives terrible advice as far as their vinyl goes. Apparently BoB is absolutely stuck on the idea that vinyl should be sourced digitally, to the point where analog files are specifically converted before put on vinyl. :tired_face: Not sure if this is done out of delusion or laziness.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    pjpitt89pjpitt89 Posts: 1,820
    edited September 2016
    I have both of these OG, got the reissues as well. After supposedly arriving 9/3, Yield showed up today. Perfectly flat, dead center pressing. Sounds great, actually surprised at how nice it sounds. My OG has a few pops and static as I bought it second hand, but this reissues is as good if not better overall.

Only gripe is a little seam split on the too of the jacket, just like the 10c ITW pressing. Frustrating, but it happens with shipping some times and since it SOUNDS great, I'm ok with it.

No Code should be here in a day or 2, so I'll update then (if anyone cares lol)

*EDIT - as I continue my first listen I feel like the drums may he a bit too far in the background, especially on In Hiding. Minor complaint, sorry :)
    Post edited by pjpitt89 on
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/28/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 8/7/08 (EV), 6/12/09 (EV), 10/27/09, 10/28/09,10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 6/15/11 (EV), 9/2/12, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/7/16, 11/4/16 (TOTD), 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/24/21 (EV&Earthlings), 9/26/21, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022
  • Options
    I was just wondering if anyone received a hi-res download code or card with their new Yield. I didn't and wondered if I lost it or it fell out. I had a sticker fall out and didn't know.
    "That's part of the curse: If you're gonna play the song, you better play it. I've tried to phone in "Jeremy" a few times, and it's tough. It doesn't work."

EV
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631

I was just wondering if anyone received a hi-res download code or card with their new Yield. I didn't and wondered if I lost it or it fell out. I had a sticker fall out and didn't know.

Negative. I don't think that was supposed to be included. But if you have the CD, you aren't missing out. The high res downloads are nor perceptively better.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Negative. I don't think that was supposed to be included. But if you have the CD, you aren't missing out. The high res downloads are nor perceptively better.
    Perfect. Thx. Have CD. Never heard the original vinyl but this is very good.
    "That's part of the curse: If you're gonna play the song, you better play it. I've tried to phone in "Jeremy" a few times, and it's tough. It doesn't work."

EV
  • Options
    All the talk can make ones head spin. I remember getting sucked into the PONO talk on here once upon a time & felt the same way. If it sounds awesome to you, then it is indeed awesome. No need to second guess or even search for some improvement that ones ears may (probably) never hear.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    So I got an e-mail from Soundgarden this week about two re-issues and in that e-mail it said the reissues were sourced from the analog tapes. We're all wondering how these latest PJ reissues were sourced right? Aren't both bands fan clubs/merch run by the same people?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    yeah
  • Options
    I think Soundgarden has their own merch and management. Management for sure. Merch most likely. Vinyl sourced from analog tapes just means that they didn't go back to a Umatic or digital safety which would almost certainly have been post mastering or analog tapes didn't exist and they went to DATs (back in the old days) or currently took from digital files (Pro Tools, Digital Performer, Logic, etc.)
    All of Pearl Jam's re-issues were sourced from the analog tapes as were any albums that were mixed to analog tape. All this means though is that they went back to the analog tapes for remastering. We know Yield and No Code came from the analog tapes because they created 192k files and the albums have been/are marketed as being remastered. The question that some people are asking is did they use the analog tapes to directly cut the masters or did mastering create a digital file that was used to cut vinyl. I would guess that in this modern age the mastering engineer captured the analog tapes with high end convertors and processing. Created 192k or 96k files and handed them off to whomever was cutting the vinyl. Still sourced from the analog tapes but vinyl possibly cut from digital files. The real question, the only that matters to me is, do they sound good? We will find out soon. No Code is a pretty long album so their were compromises to volume and dynamic range but those were the same compromises they had to make when it was originally pressed. So if the CD of Yield and No Code sound noticeably worse or better so will they vinyl. If they sound pretty similar. So will the vinyl.
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209

So I got an e-mail from Soundgarden this week about two re-issues and in that e-mail it said the reissues were sourced from the analog tapes. We're all wondering how these latest PJ reissues were sourced right? Aren't both bands fan clubs/merch run by the same people?

Sourced from does not mean cut from. The will probably use the best source they have to make the high resolution file from which they cut the vinyl.