Options

Yield Vinyl old v new comparrison

13»

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,678

I think Soundgarden has their own merch and management. Management for sure. Merch most likely. Vinyl sourced from analog tapes just means that they didn't go back to a Umatic or digital safety which would almost certainly have been post mastering or analog tapes didn't exist and they went to DATs (back in the old days) or currently took from digital files (Pro Tools, Digital Performer, Logic, etc.)
    All of Pearl Jam's re-issues were sourced from the analog tapes as were any albums that were mixed to analog tape. All this means though is that they went back to the analog tapes for remastering. We know Yield and No Code came from the analog tapes because they created 192k files and the albums have been/are marketed as being remastered. The question that some people are asking is did they use the analog tapes to directly cut the masters or did mastering create a digital file that was used to cut vinyl. I would guess that in this modern age the mastering engineer captured the analog tapes with high end convertors and processing. Created 192k or 96k files and handed them off to whomever was cutting the vinyl. Still sourced from the analog tapes but vinyl possibly cut from digital files. The real question, the only that matters to me is, do they sound good? We will find out soon. No Code is a pretty long album so their were compromises to volume and dynamic range but those were the same compromises they had to make when it was originally pressed. So if the CD of Yield and No Code sound noticeably worse or better so will they vinyl. If they sound pretty similar. So will the vinyl.

This is all true. The Dave Matthews experience is a great example of it. Under the table was released on vinyl but cut from the digital, 24 bit source. It sounds nice and clean, but I cannot hear a difference between the cd and the vinyl. Makes me disappointed that I bought it. I mean it's a nice package, but still. Crash, on the other hand, was specifically pressed from the analog and it sounds a world apart from the cd. It is a thing of beauty (if you got the black, not the splash). Off topic but I'm really hoping that the Crowded streets release next year is analog too. I will line up for that masterpiece.
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    mrussel1 said:

I think Soundgarden has their own merch and management. Management for sure. Merch most likely. Vinyl sourced from analog tapes just means that they didn't go back to a Umatic or digital safety which would almost certainly have been post mastering or analog tapes didn't exist and they went to DATs (back in the old days) or currently took from digital files (Pro Tools, Digital Performer, Logic, etc.)
    All of Pearl Jam's re-issues were sourced from the analog tapes as were any albums that were mixed to analog tape. All this means though is that they went back to the analog tapes for remastering. We know Yield and No Code came from the analog tapes because they created 192k files and the albums have been/are marketed as being remastered. The question that some people are asking is did they use the analog tapes to directly cut the masters or did mastering create a digital file that was used to cut vinyl. I would guess that in this modern age the mastering engineer captured the analog tapes with high end convertors and processing. Created 192k or 96k files and handed them off to whomever was cutting the vinyl. Still sourced from the analog tapes but vinyl possibly cut from digital files. The real question, the only that matters to me is, do they sound good? We will find out soon. No Code is a pretty long album so their were compromises to volume and dynamic range but those were the same compromises they had to make when it was originally pressed. So if the CD of Yield and No Code sound noticeably worse or better so will they vinyl. If they sound pretty similar. So will the vinyl.

This is all true. The Dave Matthews experience is a great example of it. Under the table was released on vinyl but cut from the digital, 24 bit source. It sounds nice and clean, but I cannot hear a difference between the cd and the vinyl. Makes me disappointed that I bought it. I mean it's a nice package, but still. Crash, on the other hand, was specifically pressed from the analog and it sounds a world apart from the cd. It is a thing of beauty (if you got the black, not the splash). Off topic but I'm really hoping that the Crowded streets release next year is analog too. I will line up for that masterpiece.
    Yes, Crash was superbly done AAA.
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    I will resist you, not going to listen to you, you can't talk me into buying a Dave Matthews record.........
  • Options

I will resist you, not going to listen to you, you can't talk me into buying a Dave Matthews record.........

Crash can stand its ground with any record from the 90's. And it's one of the best releases I have on vinyl. It's up there with Neil Young at Massey Hall.
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    This Yield LP sounds really good. I only have the CD to compare it to, but dammmmn.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    Sirens4Sirens4 Posts: 575
    Both reissue s sound fantastic! Way better then the previous reissue s! And i have to say the singles sound way better then the original, single s I purchased 20 years ago!!
    Springfield 94 hartford 96,98,06,08 xl center 2010,2013 boston 06,2010 mansfield ma 1998,2000,2003,2008
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,149
    mrussel1 said:

Crash can stand its ground with any record from the 90's. And it's one of the best releases I have on vinyl. It's up there with Neil Young at Massey Hall.
    Yep- I love Massey hall, I think you actually spurred me to buy it lol... I ordered crash in July still waiting to get it from soundstage. Can't wait, it's one of the highest rated presses out there from what I've read.

Not surprised anymore when waiting for vinyl anymore lol it's the MO.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    pjpitt89pjpitt89 Posts: 1,821

mrussel1 said:

Yep- I love Massey hall, I think you actually spurred me to buy it lol... I ordered crash in July still waiting to get it from soundstage. Can't wait, it's one of the highest rated presses out there from what I've read.

Not surprised anymore when waiting for vinyl anymore lol it's the MO.
    Massey Hall (and most all of NY's newer releases) are two of my best sounding vinyl. I do have the splatter version of Crash, and even though most peopole had issues mine sounds great. Side B has a slight swooshing, but compared to what some others have reported, mine is minimal. It hardly noticed.
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/28/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 8/7/08 (EV), 6/12/09 (EV), 10/27/09, 10/28/09,10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 6/15/11 (EV), 9/2/12, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/7/16, 11/4/16 (TOTD), 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/24/21 (EV&Earthlings), 9/26/21, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022
  • Options
    Here's a video of some dork talking about the packaging for the new reissues - :)
    https://youtu.be/5T-ioCuyTXE
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144

Here's a video of some dork talking about the packaging for the new reissues - :)
    https://youtu.be/5T-ioCuyTXE

Nice kitchen!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    My parents are out of town for the weekend :lol:
  • Options

>

Nice kitchen!

I saw that guy in the pit in Miami I think... next to some kid with a tambourine. Same joker? 2:35:45

https://youtu.be/sJedu1zHEHk?t=15545
  • Options
    spotted :)