Options

Does anybody agree with me and Ed on this?

I just watched the full interview with Steve Gleason (a must-see, if you haven't). Ed says here what he has often expressed in one way or another -- that he's embarrassed about his behavior in the early years. He says something like this in the Gleason interview: "I wish I had known more in the first couple years... maintained a little more dignity in the early period."

Now I don't judge anyone based on their youthful attitudes and lord knows I have regrets too. But I *am* a bit pissed that these guys were indeed so "testosterone driven" (also Ed's phrase) in the early years, because testosterone overflow has never been something I admired, least of all aesthetically, and as a result I didn't like the band then. I thought they were (way) overrated, I more or less wrote them off except as a casual listener, and it took a long time for me to pay attention again. Then when I did, whoa! This rather monodimensional and crude band with their leader who had seemed to me, frankly, like an asshole, had become intelligent, versatile, profound, with beautiful songs; and their singer somehow had morphed into one of the most impressively present, insightful, loving, and even wise people I'd ever come across. Not only that, but he is one of those rare individuals who, through his ability to make an arena feel intimate, can transmit these qualities to thousands of us at a time, often bringing out the best in us too.

So in one way, Ed, I wish you hadn't been such a shithead too, because then I would have started seeing PJ live about 8 years sooner. But then again, without that early period, we would have missed out on the most remarkable part: your astonishing metamorphosis. As a psychotherapist I help people come to terms with the darkest parts of themselves and navigate their hardest times, for a living. (I specialize in work with victims of prolonged childhood sexual abuse, one of whom told me just yesterday it was a curse that her perpetrator got to be dead while she has to go on living, "it's not fair that I'm still alive." No one has transformed the lyric for her yet. I'm trying to help her get there.) In any case, I know first- (and second-) hand the tremendous courage it takes to engage fully in that process of self-exploration and healing, and to come out so much better on the other side. You somehow did that publicly. You are an extraordinary human being.

So the part I'm asking if anyone agrees with, is that this band is astronomically better now than they were in 1992. I can't say when they fully matured, but like a fine red wine, they now have the layers and nuances that develop only over long years, and they are now headed by a musician who is exemplary not just for his intensity, but for maintaining intensity while developing breadth, modulation, self-awareness, and an extraordinary generosity of spirit.

I find it hard to believe when people say Ten is their favorite album. Boring. Very happy I was at the No Code show. If the universe is feeling kind to me I'll be at Vitalogy whenever that happens. That was the beginning, and the growth has never stopped, all the way through Lightning Bolt. So many people say "Pearl Jam got me through my youth." Nirvana got me through my youth, but that's not so impressive. It's not hard to do adolescent rage. Pearl Jam has gotten me through my 30s and 40s, and there is much less intelligently written material in any medium that resonates with those years. They are an inspiration to me to continue to cultivate my talents, while not trying to remain what none of us can any longer be.

As Andy Rooney say to the 20-something in PJ20: "Stop, you're breaking my heart. I would gladly relieve you of some of your burden by exchanging my age for yours." Even with real agony, it's much less complicated to be 20. As you go on, you have more agony, more disappointments, inevitable and tremendous losses. What's hardest of all is to figure out how to go from youth to something even better. Thank you, Eddie.

Comments

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    I understand your perspective here OP (fellow therapist here). The 92-95 era is my favorite though - I loved the band's raw expression, coming of age. I didn't always understand as a teenager during that time period why Ed was so angry, even appearing downright unhappy. I loved the energy, almost near chaos of the shows....like the band could completely implode. A highly combustible combination of music and rage.....Is the band better now than then? As musicians and humans, yes. No question.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    edited August 2016

I understand your perspective here OP (fellow therapist here). The 92-95 era is my favorite though - I loved the band's raw expression, coming of age. I didn't always understand as a teenager during that time period why Ed was so angry, even appearing downright unhappy. I loved the energy, almost near chaos of the shows....like the band could completely implode. A highly combustible combination of music and rage.....Is the band better now than then? As musicians and humans, yes. No question.

Possibly felt pressure to act/look/come off like his peers?? Just taking a guess..we used to wonder if Eddie was up to the same habits as layne and Kurt...

Looking back as young rock stars they seem like angels to me..but yes they had that fire like you mentioned that was so intense.

Post edited by Wma31394 on
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,197
    i don't think it's fair to chide someone's choice as their favorite album as "boring". Music is a personal thing. different songs have different meanings to different people. there are so many variables on why a song connects. it could just be a place in time, or connected to a person. it's hard to say why someone latches onto a group, album , or song.

as for Ten itself. To me this album has changed a lot in my eyes as i've gotten older. When it came out i was in my early 20s and i loved the aggression of the songs. loved the hard charging emotion and spirit those songs were performed with. Today, while the songs are the same, I get different emotions from songs like Alive, Black and Release. to me those songs connect AGAIN but differently than they did in the early 1990s. I mean hearing Ed's talk before Release in Philly during the Ten show then playing the song was just chilling. Probably one of my favorite Ed's talks "you can't go over it, under it, or around it, you have to get through it" - just typing that out here gave me chills. So while Ten was awesome in 1991-1993 to me it is still awesome, just in a new and different way. And isn't that what something classic should be able do. grow and mature along with you?
  • Options
    ladydocNYCladydocNYC Posts: 635
    I probably don't really appreciate how much the songs have grown. I know it's true, because everyone says it (as in the reference I made to Alive story), and maybe the fact that I like some of those songs now that I didn't like in the early 90s is itself an attestation. They had matured too, by the time I got back into Pearl Jam. I am just so blown away (probably in part because of my profession and fascination with such things) by how much character it takes to have that longevity and how much it brings to the music and the whole experience. I feel like it's undercelebrated in this culture that glorifies youth, and maybe wrongly, I feel like it's underappreciated by people whose favorite period was the early years.
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    Currently..Better people..better musicians..better setlists..better venues..(Not better merch)

1994-1998 better concert experience
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Thought-provoking post, thank you.

Music, to me, is intensely personal in meaning - both by notes and lyrics, and how each are presented (and accepted). Also depends on where one is in life.

It can be so intimate.

pjhawks, your mention of Ed's words reminds me much of Puscifer's Simultaneous - maybe he got it from Maynard?

"Find a way through, around, or over"

I would hope people mature over time and in their own way, maybe still have enough oomph to rally against the shit in this world, but knowing which battles are worth the energy and time to fight.

I do love Ten, but found the path of No Code to Yield more...me. Then again, I didn't know of them till 1999.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143

I probably don't really appreciate how much the songs have grown. I know it's true, because everyone says it (as in the reference I made to Alive story), and maybe the fact that I like some of those songs now that I didn't like in the early 90s is itself an attestation. They had matured too, by the time I got back into Pearl Jam. I am just so blown away (probably in part because of my profession and fascination with such things) by how much character it takes to have that longevity and how much it brings to the music and the whole experience. I feel like it's undercelebrated in this culture that glorifies youth, and maybe wrongly, I feel like it's underappreciated by people whose favorite period was the early years.

I appreciate it - and my favorite era still stands as those earlier years.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Yeah so maybe I'm wrong in anything I said or implied about other fans. It wasn't my intention to judge or criticize, I mainly meant to be contrasting my own point of view, and drawing attention to something I find inspiring about this band.
    hedonist said:

I would hope people mature over time and in their own way, maybe still have enough oomph to rally against the shit in this world, but knowing which battles are worth the energy and time to fight.

As you get older, it takes more oomph. And good judgment (which battles to fight). I just want to applaud them for finding those strengths.

I cracked up at msg when Ed said to the guy in the audience who was turning 26, "shit's about to get real." Damn straight.

• Options

Yeah so maybe I'm wrong in anything I said or implied about other fans. It wasn't my intention to judge or criticize, I mainly meant to be contrasting my own point of view, and drawing attention to something I find inspiring about this band.

hedonist said:

As you get older, it takes more oomph. And good judgment (which battles to fight). I just want to applaud them for finding those strengths.

I cracked up at msg when Ed said to the guy in the audience who was turning 26, "shit's about to get real." Damn straight.

I still feel that at 51 =)

It never ends!

• Options
    scornlanderscornlander Colorado Posts: 98
    edited August 2016
    Post edited by scornlander on
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    I'm not sure I ever thought Ed was an asshole. Tortured, for sure. But never an asshole. You could hear his heart through his songs, even the early ones.

That's what drew me to the band from the first note. You could tell this was a person that felt the whole world outside of himself.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    I believe you about hearing his heart through his songs. Wish I'd been able to hear it then. Cuz I missed a hell of a lot. I just felt a little tiny bit vindicated by the fact that when Gleason asked him what he wished he'd been better at over the years (and Gleason had in mind musically, it seemed), Ed replied with reference to his behavior. Made me think maybe I wasn't *just* blind. (Although I must have been a little blind.) And made me want to compliment him on his journey, in regard to character, and "dignity." Concepts not enough people care about.
  • Options
    And I don't mean that as an implicit swipe at any fans!!! I just mean, in the world today, IMHO.
  • Options
    theebradnesstheebradness Quincy, IL originally from Weymouth, MA Posts: 278
    edited August 2016
    I often wonder if Eddie and the boys would be different today if they hadn't been embraced by rock's elders, ie Neil Young, the Ramones, the Doors, the Who. Maybe seeing how those guys operate helped them get their heads straight for the long haul of being full time rock stars.
    Lollapalooza 1992 Mansfield MA
    STL 2014
    Wrigley Aug 20th 2016
    St Louis 2022

I'm a lucky man to count on both hands the ones I love.
  • Options
    pljampljam Posts: 387
    ALL THOSE YESTERDAY'S are merely part of the apprenticeship of who we are today (if we want to learn) only advancing us to learn more tomorrow .
    Never met a qualified human
    OP a good read
  • Options
    Thanks! I felt kind of self-conscious about posting so I really appreciate that!
  • Options
    PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,293
    While I agree with the comments that the band has grown as people and as musicians, I have to say that I sometimes miss the anger and raw emotion. In my opinion, the band has not put out a good hard-rocker or fast-paced song in a while.
  • Options
    EnterThanmanEnterThanman London, ON Posts: 1,057
    I can appreciate the perspective, but I don't agree at all. Those early days were raw and exciting, and full of genuine passion that was tangible in the performances. Had they come out of the gates as some composed professionals, I'm not sure I would have gravitated to them to the same extent that I did. The vulnerability is what made those shows so good. Ed says testosterone driven, but it never came across that way to me, just passionate. I wouldn't want to change anything about those early days. At the same time, the way they have evolved over the last 25 years has been commendable, and had they stayed the people they were at the start, that may have worn thin as well.
    The member formerly known as Scratched Vinyl
  • Options
    I think the full context of the Ed quote in question is "testosterone-driven" but not in a meat head sort of way.

The way Ed describes the early days, it was a like a wild animal being let out of its cage after a lifetime of captivity.

Though Ed might be sheepish of those days -- as most of us are sheepish of our early 20s in retrospect -- I certainly don't hold it against him.
  • Options
    PJ-Cubs said:

While I agree with the comments that the band has grown as people and as musicians, I have to say that I sometimes miss the anger and raw emotion. In my opinion, the band has not put out a good hard-rocker or fast-paced song in a while.

A) They're in their 50s. Nothing more ridiculous than a 50-year-old trying to hold on to their 20s. Evolve or die.

B) That said, Mind Your Manners kind of fucking rocks.
  • Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,770

I can appreciate the perspective, but I don't agree at all. Those early days were raw and exciting, and full of genuine passion that was tangible in the performances. Had they come out of the gates as some composed professionals, I'm not sure I would have gravitated to them to the same extent that I did. The vulnerability is what made those shows so good. Ed says testosterone driven, but it never came across that way to me, just passionate. I wouldn't want to change anything about those early days. At the same time, the way they have evolved over the last 25 years has been commendable, and had they stayed the people they were at the start, that may have worn thin as well.

Their energy and angst syncs well with a lot of us... over time we all needed to grow up and gain perspective. Part of what makes this band relevant to a lot of us is that we're growing in some capacity together, and each album release ties a little of that evolution into our lives. I'm sure I'm not the only one who sees critical moments in my life somehow related to a new song or album over the past 25 years.
  • Options

PJ-Cubs said:

They're in their 50s. Nothing more ridiculous than a 50-year-old trying to hold on to their 20s. Evolve or die.

Yes! that was really my main point. That they have gone from a familiar if extreme youthful and limited range of emotions, to an intelligent, compelling evolution. Ed in particular, with all he had to overcome. May we all do so well. How many examples do we have in popular of how to resist trying to hold on to our 20s, and actually fricking figuring out how to do this trip through phases of life?
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,720
    I agree, ladydoc. The first time I saw Pearl Jam was the night they played "Alive" on SNL. I appreciated their energy and enthusiasm and liked the song but the whole bare-chested, red faced, strutting like dudes thing got old really fast for me and, like you, I pretty much ignored them for several years. But during their middle period, when "Yield", "No Code" and "Riot Act" and "Self Titled" came out, I took notice again. They became serious about their art as well as their energy. I keep waiting for this band to come out with something that for me works on this level. That middle period is what makes this band for me. The early stuff and the last couple of records hold little interest for me. I still like the energy of the band and seeing them live in Missoula in 2012 ranks among the best live performances I've ever seen and that includes seeing Hendrix twice, "Who Sell Out" era The Who, "Reckoning" era REM and other excellent shows. What I've liked the most about PJ is when they have mixed that high level energy with more mature song craft.

And none of this is meant to dismiss any of their work. I don't believe in putting down any artistic work. Whatever doesn't work for me I ignore and am fine with it working for others.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,162
    edited August 2016
    Not really. I was in my mid teens when PJ got big. I loved that era of the band. The band is is about 11 or 12 years older than me but I've always felt they've aged at a similar rate to me. Thus I've appreciated their entire career. They had a lot of piss and vinegar in their youth, I loved it :) Wouldn't have it any other way.
    Post edited by Zod on
  • Options
    "Bare-chested, red-faced strutting like dudes thing" .... lol

People out here acting like Ed was frickin Glenn Danzig or something.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,720

"Bare-chested, red-faced strutting like dudes thing" .... lol

People out here acting like Ed was frickin Glenn Danzig or something.

:lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    You are way over analyzing. It's music, entertainment. He wasn't abusive nor harming anyone. For you to call him a shithead is arrogant on your part. Just listen to the music and stop being so pompous.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    Could write quite a bit in response however I'll leave it at this...

If the road you followed brought you to here, of what use was the road?
    4/6/94, 4/10/94, 4/11/94
    9/26/96, 9/28/96, 10/2/96
    6/14/98, 9/13/98, 9/15/98, 9/16/98
    8/3/00, 8/29/00, 8/30/00
    7/2/03, 7/3/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03
    9/28/04, 9/29/04
    5/24/06, 5/25/06
    6/28/08, 6/30/08, 8/1/08, 8/2/08
    5/17/10
    10/15/13, 10/16/13
    8/5/16, 8/7/16
    9/4/18, 9/4/18
  • Options

Maybe because it's a lovely and buzzed Friday evening here for me, but reading your post (great question, by the way), my first thought was the line from Heaven & Earth (pretty sure I'm butchering it a bit) - "The road to nirvana is tricky and steep, but if you only walk on sunny days, you'll never reach your destination."

I think walking that road is the destination, at least for me. Learn to get through, maybe even triumph over, the stormy days.

Then revel in those with sunshine.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

Maybe because it's a lovely and buzzed Friday evening here for me, but reading your post (great question, by the way), my first thought was the line from Heaven & Earth (pretty sure I'm butchering it a bit) - "The road to nirvana is tricky and steep, but if you only walk on sunny days, you'll never reach your destination."

I think walking that road is the destination, at least for me. Learn to get through, maybe even triumph over, the stormy days.

Then revel in those with sunshine.
    This is great hedonist!!!! Seriously
    4/6/94, 4/10/94, 4/11/94
    9/26/96, 9/28/96, 10/2/96
    6/14/98, 9/13/98, 9/15/98, 9/16/98
    8/3/00, 8/29/00, 8/30/00
    7/2/03, 7/3/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03
    9/28/04, 9/29/04
    5/24/06, 5/25/06
    6/28/08, 6/30/08, 8/1/08, 8/2/08
    5/17/10
    10/15/13, 10/16/13