Comments

• JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    Autumn in New England. Heaven on Earth.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,488
    edited August 2016
    I just hate the end of tour feeling.
  • D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,765
    with them playing Angel, Of the earth and Santa Cruz recently could a Lost Dogs 2 be in the works? Just throwing it out there. They wouldn't have to tour for this
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....???? 
  • tschavtschav Posts: 2,759
    Soundgarden and side projects seem most likely. Short festival tour next summer in Europe.

Keeping expectations low, but really hoping Eddie comes through Chicago for a solo show.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    tschav said:

Soundgarden and side projects seem most likely. Short festival tour next summer in Europe.

Keeping expectations low, but really hoping Eddie comes through Chicago for a solo show.

Good point - Soundgarden next year would be awesome! Would love them to release a new LP.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • MK88178MK88178 Chicago Posts: 483
    2 months off then TOTD
  • ryph raphryph raph Posts: 887
    Ed goes home and cuts his lawn because he has been away from home for 2 weeks.
    10-26-91 Cleveland
    4-2-92
    7-29-92
    5-4-95 Hovercraft / Cleveland
    8-26-98
    4-25-03
    5-20-06
    8-21-08 E.V. Chicago
    10-31-09 Philadelphia
    5-09-10 Cleveland
    5-10-10 Buffalo
    6-26-11 E.V. Detroit
    10-11-13 Pittsburgh
    10-12-13 Buffalo
    10-29-13 Charlottesville
    4-18-16 Hampton
    8-22-16 Chicago

• BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,840
    ryph raph said:

Ed goes home and cuts his lawn because he has been away from home for 2 weeks.

His mail box will be overflowing, dog shit all over the lawn, the fridge will be empty and his fireman pole will need a polish.
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,740
    I had a lot of thoughts, talking with my touring buddies after Monday nights show, about how much longer we'll still be able to do this sort of thing with this band. How much more life does this band have left?

Obviously, the recent shows have been on fire. I can say -- honesty, no bullshitting -- this is the best I've seen them play. They don't seem like a bunch of 50-year-old dudes up there.

But they are.

I've been thinking a lot about: what is Pearl Jam going to look like 10 years from now? What about after that? Do we have a shot at PJ45? These shows, probably more than any other, have made me really realize that our days with this band are numbered. We just don't know the number.

The model here, I suppose, is Bruce. Dude is in his mid-60s and still putting out marathon, high-energy shows the likes of which we saw from Pearl Jam in the ballpark series. However, I don't think Bruce's songs require the kind of vocal stamina that does much of Pearl Jam's catalog. I thought Ed pulled off an incredibly plausible version of Blood at Wrigley. Will he still be able to do that at 65? Are those kind of songs going to go away at some point, just out of necessity? Will they start doing some mellower, acoustic-type tours?

What have other aging hard rock acts done as they've entered their 60s? Ed could probably still play his solo shows for as long as he is alive. What about the rest of the guys?

I just hope they keep playing these kind of shows while they are still able. I hope they have something scheduled, even if it's just 12 to 15 dates, every year from now until eternity. We need to be able to enjoy these guys for as long as we can. Pearl Jam is probably the longest long-term relationship I've ever had, aside from family. I'm not ready for Pearl Jam to be out of my life anytime soon.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171

I had a lot of thoughts, talking with my touring buddies after Monday nights show, about how much longer we'll still be able to do this sort of thing with this band. How much more life does this band have left?

Obviously, the recent shows have been on fire. I can say -- honesty, no bullshitting -- this is the best I've seen them play. They don't seem like a bunch of 50-year-old dudes up there.

But they are.

I've been thinking a lot about: what is Pearl Jam going to look like 10 years from now? What about after that? Do we have a shot at PJ45? These shows, probably more than any other, have made me really realize that our days with this band are numbered. We just don't know the number.

The model here, I suppose, is Bruce. Dude is in his mid-60s and still putting out marathon, high-energy shows the likes of which we saw from Pearl Jam in the ballpark series. However, I don't think Bruce's songs require the kind of vocal stamina that does much of Pearl Jam's catalog. I thought Ed pulled off an incredibly plausible version of Blood at Wrigley. Will he still be able to do that at 65? Are those kind of songs going to go away at some point, just out of necessity? Will they start doing some mellower, acoustic-type tours?

What have other aging hard rock acts done as they've entered their 60s? Ed could probably still play his solo shows for as long as he is alive. What about the rest of the guys?

I just hope they keep playing these kind of shows while they are still able. I hope they have something scheduled, even if it's just 12 to 15 dates, every year from now until eternity. We need to be able to enjoy these guys for as long as we can. Pearl Jam is probably the longest long-term relationship I've ever had, aside from family. I'm not ready for Pearl Jam to be out of my life anytime soon.

this is one of the reasons I made sure to hit Fenway. figured it might be once in a lifetime. i'm almost as old as these guys so not sure how much longer I can do it and god willing how long i will be able to do it. i saw 4 shows this tour: Greenville, 2 Philly and Fenway 2. it was magical. Surpassed the 2003 tour where i did 6 shows. maybe it's just getting older so i appreciate these 'moments' more. I hope to have many more of such moments with PJ but i guess nothing is guaranteed. Hope the guys stay healthy and come back rocking for a long long time. If not though i have memories that will last a life time.
  • phan84phan84 Posts: 48

But they are.

They don't have an overly rigorous touring schedule. They played 25 shows this year and 10 the year before. If they kept it up around 25 shows a year (even split into two short tours) that certainly seems plausible. There are plenty of older rock bands that still tour in later years, although some become simply a shadow of themselves, which pretty much sucks and is counterproductive. Even bands like The Who, Paul Mccartney, Rolling Stones - I'd rather not see PJ become like that. Yes, they still put on good shows, but they are basically cookie cutter shows and playing the exact same show every night - you only really need to see them once every couple of years.

Part of the greatness of PJ is that they do change it up, and every show is worth hearing. But there are other examples like the Grateful Dead guys that do a tour or two a year, change there setlist up each night, and by all accounts still play great shows. That is the model I'd more like to see them follow. I mean in 10 years from now Blood and Leash might not have the same energy level as they do now, but I can easily see them still putting on great shows.
  • jp307677jp307677 Boston Posts: 415
    I see an Ed solo tour. I know it's been since 2013, but I don't think a new album anytime soon.
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    No love for the west coast, eh?
  • Secretly put aside some money in anticipation for the Fall 2017 tour. Buy a van. Make sure my kids are ready to join me on the next summer tour by flooding them with PJ music every time we're in the car. Make sure my wife has no other choice than to join us on said summer tour.

Montreal 98, 00, 03, 05, 11
    Toronto 03, 06, 11
    Ottawa 05, 11
    Quebec 05; Saratoga 00; Boston 04; Toledo 04
    Albany 06; Honolulu 06; Hartford 08
    Costa Rica 11
    London (Ont.), Hartford 13
    Quebec, Fenway 1 + 2 16; London 18
    EV Montreal (2), Berkeley II, Albany, Boston, London (UK)

• cahoonjcahoonj Virginia Posts: 2
    JojoRice said:

What's next??

College football!!! Go Dawgs!!

Go Gators! Leg Humpers!!
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,873
    cahoonj said:

JojoRice said:

What's next??

Go Gators! Leg Humpers!!
    Piss on a Gator!
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • igotid_8igotid_8 Cleveland, Ohio Posts: 497
    A bunch of shows in Cleveland once when they are announced as a member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Hey, a kid can dream, can't he?
    2000 Columbus, Pittsburgh
    2003 Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Columbus
    2004 Toledo
    2005 Hamilton, Pittsburgh
    2006 Cleveland, Auburn Hills, Pittsburgh
    2009 Chicago
    2010 Cleveland
    2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 Detroit
    2016 Tampa, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2018 Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2022 Hamilton
    2023 Chicago 1, Chicago 2, Austin 1, Austin 2
  • cahoonjcahoonj Virginia Posts: 2
    JojoRice said:

cahoonj said:

JojoRice said:

What's next??

Go Gators! Leg Humpers!!
    Piss on a Gator!
    Haha! Love it! Can't wait for this season to start.
  • samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    Would loooove to see them on the West Coast :)

I'd also love another EV solo tour. And a new DVD!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • crober72crober72 Bartlett, IL Posts: 74
    Maybe I'm just thinking small, but my immediate thoughts turned to the official bootlegs for the Wrigley shows. I've been to 7 shows total including these two shows at Wrigley, but two were PJ20 and another Wrigley in '13. I enjoy all the bootlegs I have, but my first show (Chicago 8/24/09 and Moline) are far and away my favorites having been in attendance. The two Wrigley shows are something I'd like to be able to relive. I know I can find audience recordings if I look for them, but really like the quality of the official boots.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Would really love a new album. I wish they weren't so far and few between.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • JB198244JB198244 Western NY Posts: 47
    I heard they're gonna do a 16 stop "small town" backyard tour.......
  • djklambakedjklambake PHX, AZ Posts: 2,510
    Spring West Coast tour (including Vegas) surrounding Coachella Dates
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/4/12 - (Eddie Vedder) Phoenix, AZ
    11/1/13 - New Orleans, LA
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
    8/22/16 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley 2)
  • myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    Some West Coast love?
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,664
    just hoping for a decent run in europe and a return to the Leeds arena. Two night stay this time .....i know its more likely going to be london but a man can dream right? Leeds arena kicks the ass of the 02. There isnt currently an arena in the uk that can compare to it
  • deftonesdeftones Athens, Greece Posts: 2,444
    It will be 3 years. Europe please. I've never been to Italy yet, maybe a small 4-5 shows Italy tour?
    ATHENS / 30-9-2006, MANCHESTER / 20-6-2012, MANCHESTER / 21-6-2012, AMSTERDAM / 16-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 17-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 12-6-2018, AMSTERDAM / 13-6-2018, PRAGUE / 1-7-2018, KRAKOW / 3-7-2018, BERLIN / 5-7-2018
    hard to believe its been 3 years to be honest

i cant wait to see them back out here
    Just an observation but the 2016 boots sound so good. I was happy with the 2014 ones until I heard this years
  • dottlesdottles Posts: 9,136
    I would love to see them back in Europe next year, and I hope that seeing so many other artists playing over here has reassured them about the safety concerns.
    Maybe a London date (yes I am biased but it is still six hours from me) followed by mid/southern Germany, Italy, Croatia, Spain etc would be good. If it has to be festivals then so be it, but it would be great to see them mix them with some of their own shows or do festivals such as Pukkelpop in Belgium rather than Rock Werchter.
    2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
    2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 
  • WhywhyzedWhywhyzed Posts: 270
    I hope someday to get to an Ed solo show......