How About a Pearl Jam Obscure Fact Repository

Comments

• This thread kept me up for hours. Every bit of new information (for me at least) makes me google it and from that I end up in a swirl of links.
    :hang_loose:
    2005 Rio de Janeiro, Brazil | Apoteose December 4th 2011 Rio de Janeiro, Brazil | Apoteose November 6th 2013 São Paulo, Brazil | Lollapalooza March 31st
  • Just read the entire thread. Wonderful.

Big thanks to Pleatherman. Thought I knew it all about PJ. No way. Some really great, unique stuff here.

Best thread on the board and a reminder this can still be a good place devoted to what matters: PJ and music.
  • TheGhostTheGhost Posts: 534
    love this thread! Glad it's back. Currently scanning my brain for trivia....
    Your light made us stars
  • This thread is awesome.
  • MMPoochMMPooch New Jersey Posts: 67

Just read the entire thread. Wonderful.

Big thanks to Pleatherman. Thought I knew it all about PJ. No way. Some really great, unique stuff here.

Best thread on the board and a reminder this can still be a good place devoted to what matters: PJ and music.

+1

What a great thread, I've had so much fun reading the whole thing tonight and learned some neat trivia too! Thanks so much for sharing all your info!
  • pearl jam had an australian tour pretty much locked away in 1994 but the deal couldn't get over the line. they had dates booked at the hordern pavillion and festival hall which would have been insane shows.
    Yeh I've seen Pearl Jam, too. But I can't remember the dates.
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Awesome thread bump. :)
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    edited February 2015
    i'll admit i didn't know most of these, awesome thread.

Only one i can think of (and i started a thread about it) was that Matt Cameron drummed on the Prodigy "Fat of the Land" album. Although it's been suggested they sampled his drumming (which would make sense). Would still love to know what songs they used though.
    Matt Cameron of Soundgarden and later Pearl Jam, who is falsely credited as "Mark" in the liner notes, is also understood to have contributed samples to the album, though it is not clear where.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fat_of_the_Land

http://www.mtv.com/news/1427521/prodigy-delays-tour-may-get-help-from-soundgarden-drummer/

Post edited by eeriepadave on
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    Gmoney said:

"If I want to make a song based on sound effects from the movie Mars Attacks, I can do that." - E.V.

Eddie Vedder may have written some of the catchiest Pearl Jam songs to date, but an experimental streak runs through his past work, as well. One example, an aural collage created with nothing more than pocket change. The unmistakeable sound of coins reverberating off the ground chime melodiously without a hint of the cacophonous clamor easily rendered from the small metallic objects. Recorded during the Binaural sessions, a segment of it sparsely fuses into 'Of the Girl' as an added touch. On its own, the coin medley is a few minutes long and even has a title. It's called 'Change.'

Someone also told me that in 'Of the Girl' there is a hidden reference to the band being "high" in the studio. At the 4:45 mark you can hear someone take a deep inhale and at 4:51 a voice mumbles "marijuana"
    yeah this was was my favorite so far, pretty interesting
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    I think its 'one more time' referencing wanting to do another take.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • BlredyellowBlredyellow Posts: 843
    Exactly. It's "one more time?" References doing another take of song while recording. PJ would never be that obvious of a pot/drug band, because that would be pretty lame.
  • primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,294

At the PJ20 museum, a lyric sheet entitled "I Won't" was on display with the following note- "a song to be released someday."

I don't remember seeing this. Anybody have a picture of this?
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Well, I dunno. At one of the shows I saw in 06 or 08, I don't recall which one at the moment... Ed changed the lyric in Given to Fly to "made it to the ocean, smoked a joint in a tree." And last year in Cincinnati he told a story centered around his joint being bogarted. A lot more obvious than a split second utterance on an album track that can barely be heard. :wink:
  • pleathermanpleatherman Posts: 470
    edited March 2015
    Thanks for taking the time to go through this unruly thread! I certainly enjoy reading everyone's contributions. There are still mysteries to be solved, like the potential band names Stone trademarked (e.g. Pee Boy, He, and Butterhorn) for everything from sound recordings to stickers
    https://trademarks.justia.com/owners/gossard-stone-831436/
    Or the video project from 1993 credited to Mark Pellington that took the form of Eddie wandering the streets disguised in a fly mask, as seen in PJ 20.

At the PJ20 museum, a lyric sheet entitled "I Won't" was on display with the following note- "a song to be released someday."

I don't remember seeing this. Anybody have a picture of this?
    Post edited by pleatherman on
  • primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,294
    The band had a release date and 10 song track listing set for a new album in November 1995. Saw it in a magazine in august 1995. Songs included "Brain Of JFK" "Tommy Who" "I Got Shit" "Lukin" "All Night". Speculation is that "Tommy Who" is actually either "Who You Are" or "Black Red Yellow". If I remember correctly I believe both "Open Road" and "Long Road" were also on there. Wish I had kept that magazine!!
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
    Apparently Sweet Lew was written about an awkward meeting with his Rock n' Jock coach Kareem Abdul-Jabbar at the second annual Rock n Jock B-Ball Jam in 1992
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    edited April 2016
    "Tame the Beasts"
    A spoken word performance by Eddie Vedder. Directed by Mark Pellington

Way back in 1993, during a MTV interview, Eddie alluded to this collaboration with Pellington following their work together on 'Jeremy.' Turns out to be a nice creative outlet for Ed's deranged mask phase.

Paul Devlin, the editor of the project, provides some brief background on the video.
    "Director Mark Pellington, walked into my edit suite at Chromavision one day with a bunch of surreal B&W footage, and a wild spoken word piece written and performed by Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam. The task was to create some interstitial content for the big screen at the Lollapalooza shows. After a few hours of editing improv, this is what we came up with"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJTgPQhIj5Q&feature=player_detailpage

https://youtube.com/watch?v=NJTgPQhIj5Q

*Also briefly mentioned in your Vs. & Vitalogy Super-Deluxe composition notebook.
  • MonkeyDan72MonkeyDan72 Posts: 676
    Boom uses Hawaiian sea turtle eggs as a curl activator.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    edited April 2016

Well, I dunno. At one of the shows I saw in 06 or 08, I don't recall which one at the moment... Ed changed the lyric in Given to Fly to "made it to the ocean, smoked a joint in a tree." And last year in Cincinnati he told a story centered around his joint being bogarted. A lot more obvious than a split second utterance on an album track that can barely be heard. :wink:

Columbus 2010
    "Made it to Columbus had a joint in a tree"

Cincy '14 Bogart story was just awesome, the Mick Jagger story, and the Stone joke...his humor was right on that night!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,031

"Tame the Beasts"

Way back in 1993, during a MTV interview, Eddie alluded to this collaboration with Pellington following their work together on 'Jeremy.' Turns out to be a nice creative outlet for Ed's deranged mask phase.

Paul Devlin, the editor of the project, provides some brief background on the video.
    "Director Mark Pellington, walked into my edit suite at Chromavision one day with a bunch of surreal B&W footage, and a wild spoken word piece written and performed by Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam. The task was to create some interstitial content for the big screen at the Lollapalooza shows. After a few hours of editing improv, this is what we came up with"

*Also briefly mentioned in your Vs. & Vitalogy Super-Deluxe composition notebook.

This is awesome. I can't believe I've never seen this before!

From 1993
    "FATHERFUCKER"
    by Eddie Vedder

To me, this almost shares a certain sentiment to some words he wrote twenty years later in "My Father's Son." Similar to the "Momma-Son" trilogy, personal experience spins out into a fiction all its own.
    edited April 2016
    The (other) inspiration for the song 'Angel.'

The well-known and documented lyrical origins for 'Angel' derive from a 19th c. poem by William Watson entitled "Eloping Angels." The most thorough article on the subject can be found here:
    twofeetthick.com/2009/12/08/fan-club-single-3-like-an-angel-part-1/

However, the freedom of creative license allows multiple sources to filter into lyrical content.
    For example, the second verse of 'Jeremy' is largely based on Eddie's personal experience as described below:

"I actually knew somebody in junior high school, in San Diego, California, that did the same thing, just about, didn't take his life but ended up shooting up an oceanography room. I remember being in the halls and hearing it and I had actually had altercations with this kid in the past. I was kind of a rebellious fifth-grader and I think we got in fights and stuff. So it's a bit about this kid named Jeremy and it's also a bit about a kid named Brian that I knew"

'Angel' is another song supplemented by an actual event in Eddie's life. The following is a newspaper excerpt from 1991.

Vedder's intensity about this life and uncertainty about whether anything follows it comes through as he tells how he came up with the idea for a new song he's working on, about "being an angel and how upsetting it would be."
    He said he had seen the post-punk band Fugazi play for a small group of people in the Mojave Desert one night, and afterward he noticed a flashlight beam going up a nearby mountain. He decided to chase it.
    "I'm tripping and flying over bushes, but I'm running to catch this beam of light going up. I finally catch up to this stranger one-third of the way up the mountain. We became friends and reveled in the fact that we were up there and how beautiful it was.
    "I think he was the one who said it -that he felt like an angel. We were looking down on this, and that lasted for about two minutes, and then I wanted to be back down there."
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474

"Tame the Beasts"

Very cool obscurity. :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • DB15740DB15740 Westfield MA Posts: 70
    Great thread! Thanks for sharing some truly great PJ lore!
    Springfield MA 4/6/94; Hartford CT 9/13/98; Saratoga Springs NY 8/27/00;
    Albany NY 4/29/03; Mansfield MA 7/2/03; Mansfield MA 7/11/03; Boston MA 9/28/04;
    Hartford CT 5/13/06; Hartford CT 6/27/08; Hartford CT 5/15/10; Worcester MA 10/16/13; Hartford CT 10/25/13;
    Fenway I 8/5/16; Fenway II 8/7/16; Fenway I  9/2/18; Fenway II  9/4/18
  • UndrakanUndrakan Donostia - San Sebastian Posts: 113
    edited April 2016
    Thanks everyone for this thread, amazing! Special thanks to Pleatherman!
    BinFrog said:
    Great version. I still want to know who he mentions too!
    Post edited by Undrakan on
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    I'd send you a card if it were a bomb. That is quite the statement.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
    edited February 2022
    The first Pearl Jam T-shirt is sooo old....

they had only come up with half the band name at that point.

While Mookie Blaylock continued on tour with Alice in Chains during the early months of 1991, their yet to be recorded debut album was already marked for a summer release. Clearly, the need to dump the temporary moniker of 'Mookie Blaylock' was on the band's mind. During a particular concert on 2/11/91, Eddie comments about the inevitable showdown with Mookie's lawyers. He also shares the news they will be changing their name soon. As he jokingly suggests Nuclear Love Frogs as a replacement, Lo and Behold, in giant letters, Eddie's t-shirt adorns the word 'PEARL'!
    Quite possibly, it is a one of a kind shirt made by Jeff. It shares the same letter design as Ament's note found in the Alive promo EP shown below.

The absence of the word "Jam" from the shirt is unsurprising since this occurred almost 2 weeks prior to the legendary Neil Young/ Sonic Youth show when Jeff said he first suggested the latter half of 'Pearl Jam' to his bandmates.
    Even as they are still being introduced on stage as Mookie Blaylock, Vedder's shirt indicates that the transition into Pearl Jam is well under way. In the video, there are plenty of blink and you'll miss it moments. I suggest watching a 30 second clip beginning at 9:50. The shirt definitely backs up Jeff's claim in a 2006 interview, while describing the band's name origin, that "everybody loved 'pearl'." Now, the real mystery is the writing below 'Pearl' on the shirt. Partially thanks to a singer that can't stand still, apart from a few letters, it remains indecipherable to me. Unless my eyes are playing tricks on me, I think it almost begins with a "ja" and ends with "nz". Followed by a space and Roman numeral for 1? That's likely wrong, so if anyone can read it, please share.

And while we are on the subject, Krusen performs with Pearl drums.

Update 2/22

Light Years video

Some Pearl Jam videos have never been released, both long form (3/1/03 Yokohama, Japan) and short ('You Are' or the Rocky Schenck directed 'Even Flow'). There are also ones that, for one reason or another, stalled out (Martin Scorsese was contacted to work with the band in '93).

Fitting neither of those categories, the video for 'Light Years' remains a true anomaly. The promotional clip was actually released, yet somehow fell thru the cracks. Although it predates the release of TB2000, it was produced, presumably, using the same methods, shot live in Greensboro N.C. on 08/06/00.

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,869
    PJ_Soul said:

majleap3 said:

MIke didn't enjoy Corduroy in 2001 :)

DA: Here's a question. What's the worst Pearl Jam song?

MM: Oh, wow. What do I not like of ours that we play? Maybe some odd song that we don't ever play called "Bugs." I get a little tired of playing "Corduroy," but don't tell Eddie that because he'll get pissed. We play that almost every night.

More proof that EV knows exactly what he's doing when he writes the setlists. Corduroy kills it with the crowd at every show, and the fans never get sick of it. It's one of their best live songs, so should be played frequently.
    I think McCready knows that too...
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,869

Interviewer: (Is Pearl Jam) learning the Neil Young songbook?

Young: We won’t do any of the old ones... The way it’ll work is they’ll do Eddie’s songs and then they’ll do my songs. Sometimes I sing some of Eddie’s songs, and sometimes he sings on my songs. There’s a long way that it could develop.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"