***Petition: PJ, Please Play A Tragically Hip Song In Ottawa***

HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
edited January 2020 in The Porch
cover a Tragically Hip song. Fifty Mission Cap would do it.

edited 5/25/16 for recent news about Tragically Hip's frontman Gord Downie, who was diagnosed with brain cancer in December 2015. They are releasing their new record in early June, and will embark on their farewell tour over the summer, playing 11 Canadian dates. It would be incredible if PJ would play a one-off Hip tune in tribute. Any Canadian audience would go nuts.

edited Jan 17/20: changed the name of this thread. I totally understand how unlikely this is (and if it does happen, how it's more likely in Toronto), and also how polarizing the Hip can be to some, so please, no need for posts about how they suck or how PJ don't know who the hip is (they do). This is a positive thread about a wish that would probably make a lot of attendees at the show very happy. So, let's do this!
Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• guitar101guitar101 Sutton, ON Posts: 397
    This would be seriously awesome.
    2005-9-12 London, ON
    2006-5-09 Toronto
    2007-8-03 (ed w/ ben harper) chicago / 2007-8-05 chicago
    2008-8-12 (ed solo) toronto
    2009-10-08 (ed solo) Albany
    2011-9-11 Toronto / 2011-9-12 Toronto
    2013-7-16 London, ON / 2013-7-19 Chicago / 2013-10-12 Buffalo
    2016-5-11 Toronto, On / 2016-5-13 Toronto, On
    or invite Hugh Dillon up for Sonic Reducer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1ktHwH5xtE
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959

This right here is the stuff dreams are made of. That would be fantastic.

I actually sort of hope that one doesn't happen. I'd be so incredibly bummed that I missed out on my musical worlds colliding I wouldn't be able to speak.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    Or play Black and Alive in the 2nd encore
  • Hawk123Hawk123 Posts: 1,977
    Red Lukin said:

Really? Just going around trolling different threads. What would you prefer in the 2nd encore?
  • KP_McMinnKP_McMinn West Philadelphia born and raised Posts: 748
    Red Lukin said:

:lol::clap:
  • KP_McMinnKP_McMinn West Philadelphia born and raised Posts: 748
    guitar101 said:

This would be seriously awesome.

:i_dunno:
  • uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959

I actually sort of hope that one doesn't happen. I'd be so incredibly bummed that I missed out on my musical worlds colliding I wouldn't be able to speak.
    Next time they play in Winnipeg, then. I want to visit some provinces I haven't yet seen anyway.
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    I'd thought about requesting Bobcaygeon, I guess mainly for the "That night in Toronto" line, lol. It would fit nicely in the acoustic start to the encores too, lol.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022

Next time they play in Winnipeg, then. I want to visit some provinces I haven't yet seen anyway.
    well, Hugh doesn't live in Winnipeg! He lives in Toronto (to my knowledge). my head would explode.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    Yyz or something rocking from rush would be awesome
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,449
    I must be the only person in this country that can't stand the Hip, never listened to the Hip, and hopes to God this band never covers the Hip...with all due respect.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • kk277412kk277412 Posts: 45
    Hip Hip Hip!! What a great treat that would be!
  • 100% agree
    50 mission cap,
    nice
  • 100 Pacer said:

I must be the only person in this country that can't stand the Hip, never listened to the Hip, and hopes to God this band never covers the Hip...with all due respect.

I like the hip but i don't think pj covering them would be good at all. Imo it would be a huge disservice
  • 100 Pacer said:

I like the hip but i don't think pj covering them would be good at all. Imo it would be a huge disservice
    It would put the Hip back on the map again and push them into that market they haven't tapped yet. The Hip never did "make it" - kind of like lost dogs.
  • kk277412kk277412 Posts: 45
    That's what makes the hip great! I'm from buffalo seen them over 50 times from LA all the way up to Kingston! Small venues great sets! Them not making it makes it special for us hip heads IMO
  • northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,728
    100 Pacer said:

Nope I'm with you. I keep trying but everything in me just goes 'nononononono turn it off'. You sir have fine tastes.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,103
    A cover of Nautical Disaster would be cool.
  • 100 Pacer said:

Nope I'm with you. I keep trying but everything in me just goes 'nononononono turn it off'. You sir have fine tastes.
    What?
    Rival is as good as any hip song.
  • northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,728

100 Pacer said:

What?
    Rival is as good as any hip song.
    There are no good Hip songs, don't be dumb. Therefore it is an irrelevant comparison. Rival kicks ass.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • 100 Pacer said:

It would put the Hip back on the map again and push them into that market they haven't tapped yet. The Hip never did "make it" - kind of like lost dogs.
    I mean more in terms of sound. Very distinct voice for gord downie
  • ^^^
    Very distinct for sure.
    A lot of distinct bands/voices have wanted EV to cover them.
    Why not the Hip?
  • cheney50mccheney50mc Posts: 217
    That song title is part of my username - so ya - I'd be ok with that for sure.
  • foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    bad idea
    I'm not the biggest hip fan by any means. and I understand people not liking them. I'd much rather they cover the Headstones. but I think the ACC centre's roof would blow off if they played a hip song. especially a song that mentions the Leafs. Just my opinion.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 823
    100 Pacer said:

You monster.
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022

100 Pacer said:

they are a polarizing band, for sure. kinda like the ones on this website...... :wink:
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD