Options

Pearl Jam Mailed It In On Monday Night

Comments

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    KP_McMinn said:

It surprises me that phrases such as, "empirically incorrect" and "no way in hell" that PJ may be just as, if not more popular now, than they were in the 90's?? Again, if you look back, and really think about it, they were only really SUPER popular for a short time (3-4 years). 96 no code, a lot of fans became uninterested and went another direction (not me) that is a fact (check record sales). Moreover, they just sold out PHILLY 2 nights, MSG 2 nights, Wrigley and Fenway 2 nights each, in like 4 minutes, correct? You cannot sit there with a straight face and say that PJ is not just as, if not more popular now, then the mid to late 90's.
    Further to your point of, "kids in their 20's aren't going to see PJ". Where did you find that statistic? Was that just an observation from the shows you just went to? From the 3 shows i just saw, there were plenty of the younger generation.

Yes from the 3 shows that I went to I really didn't see many young kids in their 20's. Sure you had the occasional 7-14 year old with their parents but the vast majority of the people sitting in my sections and in the hallways (correct usage of word?) at all three shows were probably 35 years of age and up.
    And like I said, you cannot compare the popularity of pj in the mid 90's to now. They were literally on the front of time magazine! Ten sold more than 10 million and vs. sold almost a million in a week! There is no way pj can even come close to that now.

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007

jdopj said:

I don't think that someone commenting on bssically ignoring No Code through Avocado is saying the band owes them something
    There are soooo many excellent songs being missed here. Songs that cemented our dedication to the band, when alot of people were bailing.
    They have to play some hits for sure. Would just like a taste of the middle albums
    This is a healthy discussion, no need for everyone to get defensive

The term used "mailed it in" isn't a critique of the setlist, it is a direct attack and questioning of the band's resolve to put on a good show for their fans!!!

This is where the "healthy discussion" ends!!

I am questioning the setlist, yes. I'm questioning the effort, yes. I think that's fair.
    The OP From page one
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,196
    KP_McMinn said:

It surprises me that phrases such as, "empirically incorrect" and "no way in hell" that PJ may be just as, if not more popular now, than they were in the 90's?? Again, if you look back, and really think about it, they were only really SUPER popular for a short time (3-4 years). 96 no code, a lot of fans became uninterested and went another direction (not me) that is a fact (check record sales). Moreover, they just sold out PHILLY 2 nights, MSG 2 nights, Wrigley and Fenway 2 nights each, in like 4 minutes, correct? You cannot sit there with a straight face and say that PJ is not just as, if not more popular now, then the mid to late 90's.
    Further to your point of, "kids in their 20's aren't going to see PJ". Where did you find that statistic? Was that just an observation from the shows you just went to? From the 3 shows i just saw, there were plenty of the younger generation.

I get what you are saying but it's a different type of popularity. after Ten and Vs. they were, especially Ed, mainstream your mom knows who they are type of stars (well ok mostly Ed). Ed was almost at a Taylor Swift or Bieber level or popularity for a short period of time which is understandable when your fan base is young as well. plus their genre of music was the mainstream. Everyone into music knew Ten and Vs. because they were played constantly. thus why they pulled back from the mainstream and went through a bit of a lull as far as popularity.

today their popularity is based on their reputation for being a great live band. they have become a 'must-see' live rock and roll band. they've morphed into the dare-i-say-it legendary status as a band. the well oiled veterans whose reputation is as high as it has ever been even with the other legends still in the game. they've reached that level that only a select number of groups ever get to get to. those groups that can out arenas when and wherever they play regardless of their current album. doesn't mean the fan base all knows Lightning Bolt though.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Agree with pjhawks, selling out most of their shows on a relatively short tour to the bots in an incredibly short time period does not add up to being as popular as they were when everyone was talking about them --- old/young/whomever -- in the Ten/Vs/Vitalogy years. It does mean that there is a very rabid fan base that still wants to see them.

Feel like this is sort of an off track discussion though --- complain about the setlists all you like, I saw both PHL and both MSG shows and had a blast. I would agree that I would have liked a few less repeats but I had an amazing time and the band brought the energy every night. So happy to have had the chance to enjoy all of those songs that I heard with great crowds each night.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,495
    I don't think PJ is nearly as popular as they were in the '90s. They have a tremendous cult following, and major metropolitan areas sell out in minutes, but how many shows outside of Toronto, NYC, Philly, Boston or Chicago sold out in minutes?

As someone else noted, PJ was a household name in the '90s. I personally know several Red Sox season ticket holders who couldn't believe the demand for PJ @ Fenway.

"I didn't even know they were still around" was the response I got when I inquired about their tickets .
  • Options
    NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 823
    pjhawks said:

do Springsteen fans complain that Badlands, Thunder Road, Born to Run and Rosalita are played every show? Look at this tours set lists. those 4 are played pretty much every night - and Bruce and the E Street Band have an even larger catalog of songs and is probably still the greatest rock show on earth. get over it already. PJ is gonna play songs from Ten and VS. every night.

Actually, yes...
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
  • Options
    "Everything being a constant carnival, there is no carnival left." Someone named Victor Hugo wrote that; it describes perfectly how I felt after (and I might be crucified for saying this but it's true) the Vic Theatre show. Then again, even after 39 shows (with PJ40 tonight at the ACC!), the one song I always want to hear and that I'll never tire of hearing ever is "Alive."
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    NWOntario said:

"Everything being a constant carnival, there is no carnival left." Someone named Victor Hugo wrote that; it describes perfectly how I felt after (and I might be crucified for saying this but it's true) the Vic Theatre show. Then again, even after 39 shows (with PJ40 tonight at the ACC!), the one song I always want to hear and that I'll never tire of hearing ever is "Alive."

Shit, man, you are mailing it in as a fan. Don't want to hear Strangest Tribe rather than Alive? Sheesh!

(Just kidding of course - I love Alive and would also love to hear ST. Some people on here just seem to think you are not a real fan unless you want to hear different rarities every night)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options

NWOntario said:

Shit, man, you are mailing it in as a fan. Don't want to hear Strangest Tribe rather than Alive? Sheesh!

(Just kidding of course - I love Alive and would also love to hear ST. Some people on here just seem to think you are not a real fan unless you want to hear different rarities every night)
    There was a time when I felt the powerful need to be "that" fan...and then I had the shocking realization I could love the band's biggest hits and its most obscure songs at the same time. Blew my mind. ;)
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    word
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    jordn6971jordn6971 Posts: 675
    Variety is the spice of life
    "There was a band playing in my head, and I felt like getting high"
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,846

I wasn't there but I don't remember reading the setlists and being very OMG in MSG...

Personally I thought the setlists the first 3-4 shows in Florida seemed great and full of rarities. Then it seemed like they kinda took it easy for a while, like the OP said, lots of old hits. The night in Philly when they DIDN'T play Ten, they played like 70% of it. Then came back the next night and played the whole thing. Personally I would be a lot more impressed with a show where they only played 2-3 songs off Ten than the majority of it. I would love to see a more balanced show with songs from every album instead of the main chunk of it first 3 albums. I get what you're saying OP.

I see what you're saying but I was at both nights and when Ten was being played night 2 no other setlist I ever saw mattered. That was my 21st show, so I'd seen Ten a bunch, and it was still magical.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883

I wasn't there but I don't remember reading the setlists and being very OMG in MSG...

Personally I thought the setlists the first 3-4 shows in Florida seemed great and full of rarities. Then it seemed like they kinda took it easy for a while, like the OP said, lots of old hits. The night in Philly when they DIDN'T play Ten, they played like 70% of it. Then came back the next night and played the whole thing. Personally I would be a lot more impressed with a show where they only played 2-3 songs off Ten than the majority of it. I would love to see a more balanced show with songs from every album instead of the main chunk of it first 3 albums. I get what you're saying OP.

I see what you're saying but I was at both nights and when Ten was being played night 2 no other setlist I ever saw mattered. That was my 21st show, so I'd seen Ten a bunch, and it was still magical.
    even with 12 repeats the night before?! you lie! ;)
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,846
    mcgruff10 said:

even with 12 repeats the night before?! you lie! ;)
    I swear! lol

It was also a friday night and I may have consumed a lot of alcohol :lol:
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,733
    edited May 2016
    Truth bomb: https://youtu.be/-5dmClnmNXc?t=294
    Edit: Crap, STILL can't link to a specific part of the timeline. Seek to 4:55 (after the Laid comment, but I think that illustrates an important point as welll...)
    Post edited by DeLukin on
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    fuckin stale set lists... thanks for nothing Toronto!!
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    SputNickSputNick Posts: 104
    After seeing the setlists tonight (Toronto 1) and in Quebec City:
    Yes they definitely mailed in the setlist of MSG2!
    Binaural > Vs > No Code > Yield = Riot Act > Vitalogy > Ten > Pearl Jam > Dark Matter > Gigaton > Lightning Bolt > Backspacer
  • Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,493
    I can't stand that threads like this make it 13 pages

They didn't mail it in. End of story.
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,429

I can't stand that threads like this make it 13 pages

They didn't mail it in. End of story.

I wish the OP would change the Title of this thread(cuz, i think he said he didn't mean they mailed in the performance later in this thread? Maybe, someone wants to go back and re-read the whole thread and find that>LOL)
  • Options
    PhishinPearlsPhishinPearls NYC Posts: 60
    Bump - they played an incredibly pedestrian setlist at the world's most famous arena with arguably the largest gathering of hardcore fans from everywhere where they could have been as estoteric as they wanted.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Everyone thinks that the philly shows were the greatest thing since sliced bread and they had 12 repeats.
    seven songs from ten, corduroy, dte, gtf, rvm and mym.
    that's worse than nyc!!!

That's because they played Ten. Toronto will be quite the opposite I'm thinking. Hell, they didn't even play a single Binaural song and just one Riot song over two nights at MSG.
  • Options
    That's great that Eddie is feeling Ten and feeling the hits, but the bottom line is that some of us are fans because of Ten, some of us are fans because we love the entire catalogue. If you went that night, you saw many repeats from the past few shows, and many hits. When, in the past, they've really made MSG shows special with some special songs. They didn't do that this time. That's a disappointment, and it shows a lack of effort in terms of the setlist - not the effort with which they play their songs.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

PJ is gonna play songs from Ten and VS. every night.

Nobody is saying not to. The debate is playing the same song on a (two night) stand. A few, sure. A handful, OK I'm sure most would be fine with that. Eleven...
  • Options

pjhawks said:

PJ is gonna play songs from Ten and VS. every night.

Nobody is saying not to. The debate is playing the same song on a (two night) stand. A few, sure. A handful, OK I'm sure most would be fine with that. Eleven...
    We got the same two songs from Yield as MSG1. 1 song from No Code. None from Binaural. All or None, which had been played in Philly. None from Avocado. None from Backspacer.

From my count, they played six songs that hadn't been played in Philly or MSG1 - that includes Last Kiss and Sirens.
  • Options

my2hands said:

I don't understand people who research set lists. That's obsessive in a way I do not wish to be. My friends make fun of me for flying away to one or two shows per tour. I tell them that there are fans way wackier than I am but they don't believe me. This thread is my evidence.

So it's cool to fly across the country to a rock concert but it's not cool to check out rock concert setlists?

Got it... lol
    It's okay to check out setlists as a curiosity. To research them as a measure of the concert experience is foreign to me. I can honestly say that when I go to a show, there might be one song I'd like to hear -- because I like the song and it fits my mood. But the day after the show, I could probably only name five songs I remember hearing. I have to check the setlist to see what songs I heard. In the moment, I'm so caught up, I'm not comparing my show to something else. That's my experience and I don't understand the importance of critiquing the band because of the songs they play. Maybe the problem isn't the band.
    To each his own, but Pearl Jam has for a long time been regarded as a band that constantly changes up their setlists every night. It doesn't seem like this is the case in recent years. I get what you're saying about being caught up in the moment of the show, but with this band the 'strength of the setlist' has for many, been a huge part of the live experience.

The last few arena shows I've been to have all probably had 60-70% of the same songs. (Maybe I need to take a break for a couple of years, I'll gladly own up to the role I play in this).

It's been brought up (here or in another thread) that they are starting to feel like a nostalgia act, and I don't think that's an unfair assessment.

They're still the greatest live act out there, but IMO it's ok to compare setlists for this band.
    This guy's got it right.
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,060
    Too many hits at MSG. Binaural in Toronto? Fucking boring. Pearl Jam needs to stop mailing it in.
  • Options

Too many hits at MSG. Binaural in Toronto? Fucking boring. Pearl Jam needs to stop mailing it in.

As i already said - mail it in is being misconstrued - it was regarding a lack of effort regarding their ability and willingness to play different songs in that run in Philly and MSG, not whether or not they're playing with effort.
  • Options

As i already said - mail it in is being misconstrued - it was regarding a lack of effort regarding their ability and willingness to play different songs in that run in Philly and MSG, not whether or not they're playing with effort.
    Yeah their setlists are lame. And too many boring guests like Sting too. Phish is so much better.
  • Options

Yeah their setlists are lame. And too many boring guests like Sting too. Phish is so much better.
    I'm not sure what your point is with all of that. The fact still remains that it was a greatest hits setlist, and I think its healthy to discuss that, especially with a band that has developed a rabid following in incredibly large part due to its setlist variety. If they played the majority of the same songs every night, people wouldn't go to multiple shows.
  • Options
    Sure. Discuss away. I'll step out of this one. I will say I would've loved to be at both MSG shows and couldn't be more jealous of the Toronto set.