*** New York, NY Fanviews Here 5/1/16 ***

Comments

• PA79340PA79340 Posts: 1
    Great show, but the later part was ruined for us. I wish Ed had reminded the fans to take care of one another like he usually does. Some idiot threw a full beer from an upper level that hit my wife on the head during Crown of Thorns. Luckily she is ok and the bump faded, but you'd think Pearl Jam fans would understand the importance of taking care of one another and making attending a concert safe.
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    Alcohol ruins concerts for people. Simple. There always someone who just can't handle it or goes overboard and ends up ruining other people's night. Its ridiculous
  • NK10452NK10452 Posts: 29
    Questions for the folks in GA (the pit):

1. How early did it fill up?
    2. How easy/hard was it to move around?
    3. How easy/hard was it go leave to grab beers and return?

Gracias, amigos. Sounds like last night was great -- looking forward to seeing many of you tonight.
    I'm still alive
  • KartsKarts Posts: 115
    edited May 2016
    First set was good
    Second set average at best
    Third set shit and predictable

Last night would rank near the bottom of my 50+ concerts over the years. They are playing great but PJ for me meant a lot more than musical skill. The passion is gone. They aren't even touring behind albums anymore - and after hearing the last two - that may be a good thing.

The reality is they're just in a different headspace to me these days and I can't fault them for being older and family men now. I still hold on to every lyric with the same intensity as Eddie 10-15 years ago. It means a lot to me and I can't relate to where they are now, dad rockers performing to reminisce about what was, not about what is.

And finally, play Avocado you pussies. I love that fucking album, third for me after Yield and Vs. They were so passionate about it when it came out and it showed on stage. To just ignore it entirely a decade (exactly today) later is criminal.
    Post edited by Karts on
  • shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,765
    nicknyr15 said:

Black solo was otherworldly.

YES!!!! Mike McCready is fucking insane.

I can not process what happened last night yet. I made it into the pit after trying so long to get there to be with my brother. I'm so happy to have been there with him and so happy that somebody else got my seat bc of that. This show was another one that will try to top all of the others. I've decided to just stop the ranking in my head and just enjoy the moment. Who knows how many more we get??

Thank you Pearl Jam for bringing fun and so much more into my life!
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
    Karts said:

First set was good

Reality is last night would rank near the bottom of my 50+ concerts over the years. They are playing great but PJ for me meant a lot more than musical skill. The passion is gone. They aren't even touring behind albums anymore - and after hearing the last two - that may be a good thing.

The reality is they're just in a different headspace to me these days and I can't fault them for being older and family men now. I still hold on to every lyric with the same intensity as Eddie 10-15 years ago. It means a lot to me and I can't relate to where they are now, dad rockers performing to reminisce about what was, not about what is.

And finally, play Avocado you pussies. I love that fucking album, third for me after Yield and Vs. They were so passionate about it when it came out and it showed on stage. To just ignore it entirely a decade (exactly today) later is criminal.

Really? Wow. I thought the first encore was the best of the tour. Everyone has diff opinions.
  • chimpatchimpat Posts: 589
    First thing I want to thank the Tenclub for some amazing seats. I was just next to the stage (on Stone's side) about 25 rows up. My wife and I used to go to a lot of shows together but having two young kids makes it difficult. When I won tix in the tenclub lottery I told her that we're getting a sitter and going to this one together, we had an absolute blast.

Some highlights:
    Loved the energy of the opening of the show. Great start.
    Release in the middle of the set was unexpected and really cool
    Off He Goes & Footsteps are both top 10 PJ songs for me so it was cool hearing them in the encore
    Why Go. In my opinion one of the best live PJ songs. Love that tune.
    I Got Shit. Never gets old, could hear it every show.

Great show, great energy from the band and crowd. Looking forward to round 2 tonight.
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

Fantastic show and the 20th show for me. I was in 105. The sound in the Garden is so good. My favorite show I've been to since my last show in the Garden in 2010. Shows on the east coast are just at a different level than west coast shows IMO. There were many times I could barely hear myself singing. I thought the crowd was great and the set was really good.

I kinda laughed when Taking to the Streets started, but Ed sounded amazing on it. By the end I was loving it. And Chloe/Crown was perfect. Sounded amazing.

Very thankful to be in the building. Awesome meeting shetellsherself, InLukinsFridge, Branscop, and Tempo_n_groove. Again, thank you all for your help. There's no better way to celebrate a birthday.

So glad you enjoyed!!! Great to meet you too! That was a close one!
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    nicknyr15 said:

mcgruff10 said:

nicknyr15 said:

Following this tour has me fuckin wiped out. Especially that I had to work the day after every show (besides Hampton).
    Do I have anything left for tonight?
    Does pj have any more tricks up their sleeves ?
    Can MSG bring it AGAIN tonight?

I guess we'll see

I'm the same way. I am freaking tired as hell at work right now. I'm about to teach the Kennedy assassination to 8th graders all day. It's gonna be a long one.
    Rough dude. You going tonight?
    Yeah I think so. I just hit the wall lol
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • KP_McMinnKP_McMinn West Philadelphia born and raised Posts: 748
    Karts said:

First set was good

Last night would rank near the bottom of my 50+ concerts over the years. They are playing great but PJ for me meant a lot more than musical skill. The passion is gone. They aren't even touring behind albums anymore - and after hearing the last two - that may be a good thing.

good post. Its unfortunately accurate.
    Sorry for the repost -- just trying to do my homework before gametime.

Gracias, amigos. Sounds like last night was great -- looking forward to seeing many of you tonight.
    I'm still alive
  • nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    NK10452 said:

Sorry for the repost -- just trying to do my homework before gametime.

if you got there at 745 youd have been 10-15th row ish and anytime after you could have plenty of room in the back come and go as you please without much struggle

'98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1

anyone able to make out what song they scratched last night ?
    was this the first political endorsement of the 2016 elections?
    nycrats said:

anyone able to make out what song they scratched last night ?
    Life wasted. And they forgot to pencil in Whipping after taking it to the streets
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    nycrats said:

was this the first political endorsement of the 2016 elections?

I think so..even though Ed said he feels the bern I'm pretty sure his tax bracket supports Hilary.
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Air23Air23 Roma Posts: 1,351
    edited May 2016
    Karts said:

First set was good

Well, it is undeniable they are family men. It is also undeniable that there is an abuse of the word "Epic". Now every new show is "epic". However, in the last few years they were still able to play very good shows with "passion".
    Post edited by Air23 on
  • AlaGAlaG Brookline, MA Posts: 863
    on2legs said:

AlaG said:

I'll preface this by saying I know a lot of people didn't make it in the building, and I'm incredibly grateful to have been one of those who did. That being said, this is #3 for me this year.

The crowds at Philly 1 and 2 seemed to have sooo much more energy than the crowd tonight, aside from perhaps the "greatest hits" type songs. This may be entirely too subjective. Had a seat in 213, where there were I kid you not 40 or so people directly in front of me who sat through the entire show. Had 10C for both Philly shows.

Setlist was awesome though. Really stoked to hear Go, Rats, Down, Whipping, The End. Got Release last show but always down to hear it two nights in a row. And like I said, all the mainstays sounded fantastic tonight, particularly Black and Alive. Not a fan of Crown of Thorns being in such heavy rotation these days but the accompanying solo tonight was fantastic.

Crawling in bed right now to get some rest for tomorrow. Think my lukewarm opinion of tonight relative to the Philly shows might also be influenced by how absolutely drained I am from following this tour. Averaging about 4 hours of sleep/night the past few days.

While this show ranks near the bottom for me, it's still better than any other non-PJ show I've ever been to. I've had so much fun following this band this year that I'm playing with the idea of selling my MSG Radiohead tickets to go to one more Pearl Jam show instead.

I went to an amazing concert at Madison Square Garden tonight.

What concert did you see?
    Also saw an amazing concert last night. I was just expecting a little more excitement in my section. I guess this is what happens when StubHub renders tickets unattainable for most big fans.
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,378
    edited May 2016
    I was at the show with 3 people seeing PJ for the first time. All 3 said it was the best concert period they ever saw. Not surprising, of course, but they didn't stop talking about it the whole way home. They all wanted to ditch work today and come back tonight.

Taking It To The Streets was awesome. I smiled ear to ear through that whole thing. :smiley: Also loved hearing I Got Id and In Hiding. Can't get enough of those two. I was in the 200 level and there was great energy in my section. And it looked like the whole place was going wild. The only time I saw people sit was during The End. I just think people were spent and needed a little break. The rest of the show everyone near me was on their feet.

See everyone tonight. Gonna be a blast :smiley:
    Post edited by on2legs on
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Who I AmWho I Am Posts: 644
    KP_McMinn said:

Karts said:

First set was good

good post. Its unfortunately accurate.

Sorry you missed Philly 2.....you two pussies...LOL!
    02MAY2003 - State College, PA
    08JUL2003 - New York, NY (L@TG)
    14JUL2003 - Holmdel, NJ
    01OCT2004 - Reading, PA
    01OCT2005 - Atlantic City, NJ
    03OCT2005 - Philadelphia, PA
    27MAY2006 - Camden, NJ
    01JUN2006 - East Rutherford, NJ
    03JUN2006 - East Rutherford, NJ
    30SEP2009 - Universal City, CA
    09OCT2009 - San Diego, CA
    06JUL2011 - Long Beach, CA (EV)
    19JUL2013 - Wrigley Field, IL
    21OCT2013 - Philadelphia, PA
    22OCT2013 - Philadelphia, PA
    27OCT2013 - Baltimore, MD
    29APR2016 - Philadelphia, PA (TEN)
    05AUG2016 - Fenway Park, MA
    07AUG2016 - Fenway Park, MA
    27AUG2016 - Dana Point, CA (Ohana)
    18AUG2018 - Wrigley Field, IL
    20AUG2018 - Wrigley Field, IL
    18SEP2021 - Asbury Park, NJ
    14SEP2022 - Camden, NJ

Air23 said:

Karts said:

First set was good

Well, it is undeniable they are family men. It is also undeniable that there is an abuse of the word "Epic". Now every new show is "epic". However, in the last few years they were still able to play very good shows with "passion". This 2016 is different, it seems just a cash-grab.
    Everyone has opinions about setlists and so forth but cash grab? Why because they haven't played strangest tribe, or bugs or some other shit song that should never be played. Sorry but 30-34 songs, 3 hours plus, leaving everything on that stage is not a cash grab. SOOOOO many bands phone it in every night. Tool has toured numerous times without releasing a new album in 10 years. That's a cash grab. I just can't agree with that statement.
  • ladydocNYCladydocNYC Posts: 635

Dercheef said:

The show was great, the setlist was great and especially Mike was on fire tonight (probably more than I have ever seen him, his solo during Black was out of this world).
    But I have one problem with this show: The band (or volume) was simply too loud. Imo it was atleast 10% to 20% louder than in Philly and the last 4 MSG shows. The problem with that is, it pretty much drowned out the crowd and took a lot of the crowd energy. I hope they correct this for tomorrows show.
    And during RITFW I was convinced that it was Dhani Harrison on stage. Looks like I was wrong.

Funny you say that; I thought it was Harrison too. No one I talked too seemed to even notice him ... whoever he was.
    I thought it was Mike's son.

Everyone has opinions about setlists and so forth but cash grab? Why because they haven't played strangest tribe, or bugs or some other shit song that should never be played. Sorry but 30-34 songs, 3 hours plus, leaving everything on that stage is not a cash grab. SOOOOO many bands phone it in every night. Tool has toured numerous times without releasing a new album in 10 years. That's a cash grab. I just can't agree with that statement.

CO-SIGN. Some of these posts smell very trollish.
    I'm still alive
  • KartsKarts Posts: 115
    nicknyr15 said:

Air23 said:

Karts said:

First set was good

Well, it is undeniable they are family men. It is also undeniable that there is an abuse of the word "Epic". Now every new show is "epic". However, in the last few years they were still able to play very good shows with "passion". This 2016 is different, it seems just a cash-grab.
    Yeah I don't agree it is purely a cash grab, and even if it is, they certainly put in a lot of effort into every show. But there's no feeling or emotion at all, independent of how many bsides they decide to throw in. I would take any two hour set from 03 or even 06 over last night.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    Cant believe the naysayers. . Ive seen lots of PJ, and I think last night was the best since Philly 3 2009.
    narnia said:

mcgruff10 said:

by the way, mccready is on a new level. he is INSANE!!!!! the dude is playing is ass off.

This!
    The whole band just keeps getting better and better. AMAZING show, I can't find words to describe what it was like to be there.

BEST. BAND. EVER!
    Agreed. I was in GA and thought the energy of the Garden as electric and frenetic as always. I love that place!
    Mike was truly taking it to places outside this universe. He was stupendous.
    Stone looked like he was having more fun than I've ever seen him. I think it may have been for the cameras. They were filming the whole thing and there was definitely some preening for the cameras.
    It's always interesting to me the vibe in New York, brings out a very different side of Ed's personality. Sorta like he's on his "best" behavior stepping into this very big spotlight. At times I would almost call him slick.
    My favorite quote of the night by Ed was to the guy having his 26th birthday.... "shit's about to get real."
    Karts said:

nicknyr15 said:

Air23 said:

Karts said:

First set was good

Yeah I don't agree it is purely a cash grab, and even if it is, they certainly put in a lot of effort into every show. But there's no feeling or emotion at all, independent of how many bsides they decide to throw in. I would take any two hour set from 03 or even 06 over last night.
    All good if that's how you feel. But the $$$ they get from these shows is earned with a capital E.
    nicknyr15 said:

Karts said:

nicknyr15 said:

Air23 said:

Karts said:

First set was good

All good if that's how you feel. But the $$$ they get from these shows is earned with a capital E.
    And a capital ARNED in bold
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    9/26/15 New York City
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden

nicknyr15 said:

Karts said:

nicknyr15 said:

Air23 said:

Karts said:

First set was good

And a capital ARNED in bold
    Fa real