Options

*** New York, NY Fanviews Here 5/1/16 ***

Comments

• Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    My vote for show of the tour thus far..loved that first set as many of you have mentioned. With the exception of release it looks pretty basic just a solid all around batch of songs..a perfect blend!!
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    dkast85dkast85 NYC area Posts: 99
    sn141415 said:

I have to agree with AlaG. I sat in 10c country at the 2 philly shows and the crowd was awsome. Tonight I was in 224 and the it was lamest bunch i have ever seen at a show. The 1st 5 rows sat through the entire 1st encore. Surrounded by people that woke up for Jeremy, then went to back to sleep. Thankfully they left after the 1st encore. It sucks that people that did not seem to want to be at show took tickets away from real fans that wanted to be there but could not get in the building.

That said the band was great tonight, especially Mike during Black. One of the best performances of that song I have seen. The sound was also a huge improvement over philly, it was nice and clear rather than the muddy sound at the wells fargo center.

Looking forward to msg 2 and sitting in the lower bowl.

This happens often at PJ. PJ has a ton of casual fans. They are interesting because they are/were a radio band but their big fans are passionate like an underground band nobody has ever heard of. So when there is a mix of people hoping to hear four or five songs mixed with PJ superfans it can be an interesting clash.
    @DaveKast
    "Memory is the only paradise from which we cannot be driven." - Jean P. Richter
    Phoenix 2013, LA 1 2013, Ft. Lauderdale 2016, Miami 2016, Philly 1 2016, MSG 1 2016, MSG 2 2016, Fenway 2 2016.
  • Options
    LB233944LB233944 Posts: 12
    As you can see, I don't post often, and it's taken me a couple of days to process, and now I'd like to share my thoughts about my time in New York. I'm such a lucky person, I have a wonderful husband of almost 34 years, two great sons, and a lovely daughter-in-law. They have indulged my passion for the band and to varying degrees, are fans and concert attendees. My oldest son, Andy, is as infected as me, and is my favorite concert buddy. We both won lottery tickets for night one, and thanks to Chris from New Jersey, we were able to trade one pair for night two, so it was on! Coming to New York City from Boulder (I know, a lucky girl) was terrific. Two full days of playing tourist, running into the shit show of a Donald Trump sighting on 5th avenue (just my opinion), finding kind helpful locals willing to help us navigate the city was just the beginning.
    Spending Sunday on line for GA and meeting such great people, Abul, Manny, Kimmy and the super sweet couple from Holland made the time fly by. On the rail Stone's side, and who doesn't love Stone, checking out a-listers who were really into the show, and then finally, Andy tossing his Montana Griz hat (he's a UM grad) to Jeff, seeing him say "for me", and "hey it fits" is something I'll never forget! Having Jeff return the hat with a sweatband folded into it was such a treat. Now, cut to Monday and being in 119, it was amazing - I've never been in a more energized place. Seeing Abul on the mike during Evenflow was outstanding. So much fun to make these connections with people from all over. Thank you Pearl Jam for being the soundtrack to our family. Thank you 10 Club for the random drawing. Thanks to Andy, my sweet boy for indulging his mom with what was truly a bucket list event for us. Thanks to you for letting me wax on about this. Bring on Telluride and Wrigley! Can't wait!
    Laura
    Bouldermom
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    LB233944 said:

As you can see, I don't post often, and it's taken me a couple of days to process, and now I'd like to share my thoughts about my time in New York. I'm such a lucky person, I have a wonderful husband of almost 34 years, two great sons, and a lovely daughter-in-law. They have indulged my passion for the band and to varying degrees, are fans and concert attendees. My oldest son, Andy, is as infected as me, and is my favorite concert buddy. We both won lottery tickets for night one, and thanks to Chris from New Jersey, we were able to trade one pair for night two, so it was on! Coming to New York City from Boulder (I know, a lucky girl) was terrific. Two full days of playing tourist, running into the shit show of a Donald Trump sighting on 5th avenue (just my opinion), finding kind helpful locals willing to help us navigate the city was just the beginning.
    Spending Sunday on line for GA and meeting such great people, Abul, Manny, Kimmy and the super sweet couple from Holland made the time fly by. On the rail Stone's side, and who doesn't love Stone, checking out a-listers who were really into the show, and then finally, Andy tossing his Montana Griz hat (he's a UM grad) to Jeff, seeing him say "for me", and "hey it fits" is something I'll never forget! Having Jeff return the hat with a sweatband folded into it was such a treat. Now, cut to Monday and being in 119, it was amazing - I've never been in a more energized place. Seeing Abul on the mike during Evenflow was outstanding. So much fun to make these connections with people from all over. Thank you Pearl Jam for being the soundtrack to our family. Thank you 10 Club for the random drawing. Thanks to Andy, my sweet boy for indulging his mom with what was truly a bucket list event for us. Thanks to you for letting me wax on about this. Bring on Telluride and Wrigley! Can't wait!
    Laura

My bet is your still winning coolest mom of the year awards!! Great story glad you had fun!
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    Kanye EastKanye East Posts: 781
    nicknyr15 said:

Karts said:

nicknyr15 said:

Air23 said:

Karts said:

First set was good
    Second set average at best
    Third set shit and predictable

Last night would rank near the bottom of my 50+ concerts over the years. They are playing great but PJ for me meant a lot more than musical skill. The passion is gone. They aren't even touring behind albums anymore - and after hearing the last two - that may be a good thing.

The reality is they're just in a different headspace to me these days and I can't fault them for being older and family men now. I still hold on to every lyric with the same intensity as Eddie 10-15 years ago. It means a lot to me and I can't relate to where they are now, dad rockers performing to reminisce about what was, not about what is.

And finally, play Avocado you pussies. I love that fucking album, third for me after Yield and Vs. They were so passionate about it when it came out and it showed on stage. To just ignore it entirely a decade (exactly today) later is criminal.

Well, it is undeniable they are family men. It is also undeniable that there is an abuse of the word "Epic". Now every new show is "epic". However, in the last few years they were still able to play very good shows with "passion". This 2016 is different, it seems just a cash-grab.
    Everyone has opinions about setlists and so forth but cash grab? Why because they haven't played strangest tribe, or bugs or some other shit song that should never be played. Sorry but 30-34 songs, 3 hours plus, leaving everything on that stage is not a cash grab. SOOOOO many bands phone it in every night. Tool has toured numerous times without releasing a new album in 10 years. That's a cash grab. I just can't agree with that statement.
    Yeah I don't agree it is purely a cash grab, and even if it is, they certainly put in a lot of effort into every show. But there's no feeling or emotion at all, independent of how many bsides they decide to throw in. I would take any two hour set from 03 or even 06 over last night.
    All good if that's how you feel. But the $$$ they get from these shows is earned with a capital E.
    If they really wanted to make it a cash grab, they would charge more for the better seats, but they don't. I don't know of any other band that charges the same anoint for every ticket. You go see Neil or Bruce, and you're paying $200+'per ticket in the lower level
    DC-9/24/96
    Philly-8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/3/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16
    Jones Beach-8/25/00
    PSU-5/3/03
    Irvine-6/2/03
    San Diego-6/5/03
    Hershey-7/12/03
    Reading-10/1/04
    The Gorge-9/1/05
    Vancouver-9/2/05
    AC-9/30/05
    E. Rutherford, NJ-6/1/06,6/3/06
    Bonnaroo-6/14/08
    VA Beach-6/17/08
    MSG-5/20/10,5/21/10
    Baltimore 10/27/13
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    Looking for someone
    I was in the daytime merch line with a couple. They were in front of me. We got to the merch booth and it was a cluster-f. Especially in our lines. The sides were cruising through customers and one woman was doing 2-3 lines in the middle at a snails pace. I got the the front and got the last poster on the clip. The folks next to me were next in line in the next line and got shut out. Trying to reach out to them and make it right. Shouldn't have taken the poster. Was just so excited and anxious. I realized it before I went back through security but couldn't find the couple.
  • Options
    WASTIDWASTID Posts: 150
    Somewhat strange to hear even one person that was disappointed with this gig!

Travelling from the North East of the UK to see Pearl Jam at MSG was a major bucket list item of mine and I was amazed when I was lucky enough to get seated tickets through the 10c. I was slightly worried that it wouldn't live up to my expectations and still don't think it really hit me that this shit was real until I finally got to my seat inside the Garden.

Only other time I have taken seats was to a gig in Manchester when I was second row close to Mike. Was I disappointed with Section 108 and the back of the section Row with the "corporates" right behind me? Not in the slightest - I was in MADISON SQUARE GARDEN!

Go was a great opener to get things going and then after MYM, Corduroy, Hail Hail, Given to Fly I was not surprised that they slowed things down with Lowlight and Release, but then it was boom we're off again with Even Flow and it seemed by the time that we got to Rearviewmirror that they had rocked through the whole 3 hours..... but we were nowhere near the end yet and I was sweating like a Marathon runner from jumping up and down and singing along solidly through the whole lot and plenty others around me were the same (including the corp section behind)

Set 2 was amazing. Loved the way they slowed things down for a little while and some killer versions of top songs such as Footsteps, Chloe/Crown, Unthought, and bang we get a bit of Whipping!!!!

The end of the gigs does tend to generally include Alive and then a Led, a RITFW or a Baba, but hey do I give a shit if they want to stick to these songs as closers to let everyone know its over until they next time?

It was my tenth time seeing the full band (also seen Eddie solo once) and did they fail to live up to my expectations for MSG? No. They killed it. The crowd around me were 90% into the whole thing from start to finish (few people in the row in front were more interested in their boozing and talking it seemed but hey thats their loss).

The End, Future Days, Rats, Whipping were all firsts for me, and loads of other songs were only second times for me as well (Off He Goes, Crown, Footsteps, Wishlist, I Got Shit).

It was well worth the short "flying" visit and the very expensive weekend in NYC to see them once again. A brilliant night and a brilliant performance. Loved it.

Wembley Arena, London, England 05-30-2000
    Astoria, London, England 04-20-2006
    Wembley Arena, London, England 06-18-2007
    MEN Arena, Manchester, England 08-17-2009
    Hyde Park, London, England 06-25-2010
    MEN Arena, Manchester, UK 06-20-2012
    Apollo, Manchester, UK 07-28-2012 (Ed Solo)
    San Siro, Milano, Italia 06-20-2014
    FD Arena, Leeds 07-08-2014
    National Bowl, Milton Keynes 07-11-2014
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    ceska said:

glad i see this photo..so many of my friends,of my people i travel and rock out in a show are in this photo
    thanks

Thank you Dimitris, and you are welcome! I'm glad you liked the picture. It reminds me of the time Ed changed Yellow Ledbetter to "We're all friends here, and we're about to leave for home, oh yeah-uh-huh-yeah-hayyy."

-Rob
    i made it my cover foto on facebook,,thanks!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,804

ceska said:

glad i see this photo..so many of my friends,of my people i travel and rock out in a show are in this photo
    thanks

Thank you Dimitris, and you are welcome! I'm glad you liked the picture. It reminds me of the time Ed changed Yellow Ledbetter to "We're all friends here, and we're about to leave for home, oh yeah-uh-huh-yeah-hayyy."

-Rob
    *Speedy puts his thumb to his nose and wiggles his fingers*

Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158

ceska said:

thanks

-Rob

hahahahahaahhaha
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,889

ceska said:

thanks

-Rob

best story ever.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Lets see.

I got RATS!!! ( Always tell people this is the ONE song I hope to get at any show)
    In Hiding
    Footsteps
    Crown Of Thorns
    Unthought Known ( I include this this because I just LOVE this song)
    I Got ID
    Off He Goes
    Whipping
    Release
    Hail Hail

If Mr. Vedder had asked me before the show to make a setlist. Every fucking one of these songs would have been on my list.
    Throw in 7 songs off of 10 (arguably the GREATEST album written by any band, along with VS)

I couldn't have been happier.
    MSG 1 was pure bliss as far as I am concerned.

• Options
    scornlanderscornlander Colorado Posts: 98
    edited May 2016
    That 'Go' opener with the Vs. intro was killer. I am normally a fan of the slow openers but wow this was awesome. I like the way they just kind of meander on stage with the lights on and then... BAM!
    Post edited by scornlander on
  • Options
    Indifference is the ideal closer for back-to-back shows
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

What time did you get in line for GA for MSG 2?
    What number person were you in line? Roughly?
  • Options
    edited May 2016

MayDay10 said:

I left right as Indifference finished up. Got out of the arena at a brisk pace. I was 12th person in line. First 4 people or so arrived early that day, 2 dudes from Alaska arrived at 8PM... I think one or 2 guys left before Indifference, and a few during.

The funny thing is.... there was maybe 22 people in line within 5-10 minutes of the end of the show...

There was maybe 22 people in line at about 6-8 AM.
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

MayDay10 said:

I left right as Indifference finished up. Got out of the arena at a brisk pace. I was 12th person in line. First 4 people or so arrived early that day, 2 dudes from Alaska arrived at 8PM... I think one or 2 guys left before Indifference, and a few during.

The funny thing is.... there was maybe 22 people in line within 5-10 minutes of the end of the show...

There was maybe 22 people in line at about 6-8 AM.
    Well, then I guess I met you.

I walked up to all of you, and told you that you were all fucking nuts!
    Then I said God Bless I hope you have a great time.
    hahahaha
  • Options
    Nja987Nja987 New York, New York Posts: 20
    Still riding the high from this night. Can't believe I got to hear Footsteps/Hail, Hail/Whipping/Chloe Dancer... just to name a few
    A little late to the game -
    2016 - 05/01, 08/05, 08/07, 08/20, 08/22
  • Options
    jh292584jh292584 Posts: 14

Amazing even though I was in the most boring section in the building.

Karts said:

First set was good
    Second set average at best
    Third set shit and predictable

Last night would rank near the bottom of my 50+ concerts over the years. They are playing great but PJ for me meant a lot more than musical skill. The passion is gone. They aren't even touring behind albums anymore - and after hearing the last two - that may be a good thing.

The reality is they're just in a different headspace to me these days and I can't fault them for being older and family men now. I still hold on to every lyric with the same intensity as Eddie 10-15 years ago. It means a lot to me and I can't relate to where they are now, dad rockers performing to reminisce about what was, not about what is.

And finally, play Avocado you pussies. I love that fucking album, third for me after Yield and Vs. They were so passionate about it when it came out and it showed on stage. To just ignore it entirely a decade (exactly today) later is criminal.

Ok thanks. Anyway last night was awesome and this band is awesome.

Get_Right said:

Cant believe the naysayers. . Ive seen lots of PJ, and I think last night was the best since Philly 3 2009.

Agreed

Reading some of these comments, I'm glad I don't come around here often or am around fellow members who nitpick. I had a stubhub seat and was next to some dude and his gf and they were so into the show and very cool. You people who complain should be grateful this band is still around and still has all original members and still are good. Look at how much of a joke Van Halen or Aerosmith or Kiss are? You wanna talk predictably go see them. So what if the encore 2 is predictable, enjoy or just don't go. You people sound like the douche on my train ride who said it was average and wasn't as good as Hartford 2012 and he also complained they were too political.
    Good post. Believe it or not, there are people there who like to hear the more well-known songs with the other stuff they play.
    Yup and that's why the band does that, show after show. If people don't wanna hear the hits cause they've heard them enough times, go take a piss break or go get merch.
  • Options
    jh292584jh292584 Posts: 14
    Totally disagree. Great concert! Stop all the complaining. Geeze. Can't make everyone happy. Like a grouchy old man. Just enjoy the show. There is a lot of worse things going on in this world than to complain about something like this. If you don't like it go see Taylor Swift in concert instead. Then you will realize what your missing and how talented and entertaining this band is...
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,778
    LB233944 said:

Laura

Nice read, happy for you.
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,778
    merlin401 said:

I don't need rarities to enjoy a show.
    I don't give a rats ass what the people in my section are doing during the show. If they want to sit? I could care less. If they want to jump and act like fools? I could care less. As long as they are not vomiting on me(And yes I will share an MSG vomiting story with everyone, maybe tomorrow).

That show last night at MSG was FUCKING TREMENDOUS!
    PERIOD!
    I sang, I danced, I laughed, I giggled, I shed a tear.
    I shared this show with a dear friend. We had the fucking times of our lives.

EPIC!
    EPIC I SAY!

Great attitude, but I will say this: if everyone around you is sitting and you want to rock out, it really does take something away from the energy of the show. If its just 1 or 2 randoms sitting, who cares. But I've been at shows where the entire sections sits and someone yells at me for blocking the view. It is a pretty big buzzkill. Almost all the Pearl Jam shows I've been to though have had really good to great crowds. The only exception was the lawn in the Gorge which was dead. Sometimes people sit for the first few songs of the 1st encore up top, and that is fine because the band is sitting too and its really slow melodic stuff.
    I had tix to Raleigh and Columbia. We all know what happened w/Raleigh, but I can honestly say, at Columbia, once band hit the stage, I was in my own world, didn't notice one person around me or how they were reacting. Just loved it from first second to the last. Honest to God, really couldn't tell you about anyone around me.

Don't it make you smile. :).
  • Options
    fl4tdrivenfl4tdriven Moscow, PA Posts: 332
    edited May 2016
    MayDay10 said:

Looking for someone
    I was in the daytime merch line with a couple. They were in front of me. We got to the merch booth and it was a cluster-f. Especially in our lines. The sides were cruising through customers and one woman was doing 2-3 lines in the middle at a snails pace. I got the the front and got the last poster on the clip. The folks next to me were next in line in the next line and got shut out. Trying to reach out to them and make it right. Shouldn't have taken the poster. Was just so excited and anxious. I realized it before I went back through security but couldn't find the couple.

You were the dude that gave me the piece of gum in line, right? ;) I'm glad you got the poster, man! It was just the luck of the draw! We ended up going to the other merch stands and were able to get our poster.

However, good on you for reaching out and it was nice talking to you for the short while we were in line. :)
    Philly 10/21/13 - MSG 5/1/16 - Fenway 8/5/16 - TOTD 11/4/16
  • Options

MayDay10 said:

Looking for someone

You were the dude that gave me the piece of gum in line, right? ;) I'm glad you got the poster, man! It was just the luck of the draw! We ended up going to the other merch stands and were able to get our poster.

However, good on you for reaching out and it was nice talking to you for the short while we were in line. :)
    That's great! I'm glad! Right when I walked away it hit me that I had YOUR poster by all rights. I ran over to the other side and saw they had a huge stack. Was looking for you guys but you got lost in the shuffle. I tried reaching out in a different thread when I got back to my hotel room.

Another funny thing is the guy(s) (the one with the beard and the army jacket) who allowed me to go before him in that wave were walking out happy and fed with posters. We really picked a bad spot in line there.

Well, it was nice hanging out for a bit! Glad we got a great show (and a great poster).
  • Options
    kevinbeetlekevinbeetle Posts: 358
    MayDay10 said:

MayDay10 said:

Looking for someone

That's great! I'm glad! Right when I walked away it hit me that I had YOUR poster by all rights. I ran over to the other side and saw they had a huge stack. Was looking for you guys but you got lost in the shuffle. I tried reaching out in a different thread when I got back to my hotel room.

Another funny thing is the guy(s) (the one with the beard and the army jacket) who allowed me to go before him in that wave were walking out happy and fed with posters. We really picked a bad spot in line there.

Well, it was nice hanging out for a bit! Glad we got a great show (and a great poster).
    Well, if you're looking to give the poster to someone else, I'd be happy to take it off your hands :) I got shut out.
  • Options
    crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,418
    mcgruff10 said:

and to the asshole wearing yellow who stole the tambourine from the lady ....Karma is a bitch you fucking douche!
    and who stands in front of a guy who is in a wheelchair?
    by the way, mccready is on a new level. he is INSANE!!!!! the dude is playing is ass off.

Pretty sure Eddie threw the tambourine to the guy wearing yellow because of the sign he was holding he just can't catch to save his life. Just like everyone else, if the guy /gal was pointed out like that, they should get tambourine even if they fumbled. I think it was one of those that just looked bad from afar
  • Options
    nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348

mcgruff10 said:

and to the asshole wearing yellow who stole the tambourine from the lady ....Karma is a bitch you fucking douche!
    by the way, mccready is on a new level. he is INSANE!!!!! the dude is playing is ass off.

Pretty sure Eddie threw the tambourine to the guy wearing yellow because of the sign he was holding he just can't catch to save his life. Just like everyone else, if the guy /gal was pointed out like that, they should get tambourine even if they fumbled. I think it was one of those that just looked bad from afar
    why do people care SO much about a tambourine? you know the only reason i look out for one? because it looks like it would be fun to catch as a sport.. then i would turn around ad give it to a kid, but thats if it was thrown right at me.. if the dude points at someone and says "you- yes you.. ready?" and 11 people try to grab it for themselves thats weak sauce
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,889

mcgruff10 said:

no he was yelling at the guy in yellow to give it to the girl next to him. Ed then yelled at him while he was running back up the steps to his real seat.
    the tambourine obsession is crazy!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    scornlanderscornlander Colorado Posts: 98
    Yeah I kind of think it's time for the tambourine thing to stop. It's taken on a life of it's own in a not-so-good way.
  • Options
    I kind of agree. It's nice. I would love to get one.... but being up close for the first time ever, I was kind of hoping he wouldn't pick me. Didn't want to deal with all sorts of people trying to snipe it and escaping the arena without armed guards