Good News

Comments

• g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    GOOD NEWS, Brian I thought you were going to say something like FINALLY in California the state got its much needed rain. Here in Palm Beach FL we could use some as Big Lake Okeechobee is residing but my orchid collection is thriving though. Smiles.

Looking for more good news...

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    g under p said:

GOOD NEWS, Brian I thought you were going to say something like FINALLY in California the state got its much needed rain. Here in Palm Beach FL we could use some as Big Lake Okeechobee is residing but my orchid collection is thriving though. Smiles.

Looking for more good news...

Peace

Oh how I wish, g! We may get a little rain up in the high country but very unlikely here. The concern there is that means just as much of a chance of lightning starting a fire.

Cool story about Raju, Kat! Love them elephants!

Nice story up there in B.C. too, oftenreading!

Always good to read a little good news!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    This is a pretty amazing and unusual story. Well done humans.

Stranded orca saved by volunteers who kept it cool for hours until high tide

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/stranded-orca-saved-by-volunteers-who-kept-it-cool-for-hours-until-high-tide-1.3164728
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Took me a few to find this thread, but worth it.

So much bad and sad shit on the news this morning; this made me smile.

http://www.kcra.com/news/cancelled-wedding-ends-with-meal-offered-to-homeless/35906354
  • rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Nice
  • KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    Kat said:
    I was a waiter once and if that man sat in my section I would've taken care of him the in very same way. Even give up tables to complete that man's meal. I believe when one is willing to give of themselves to others, it comes back or returns to one in the uniquest of ways sometimes never knowing it has.

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

g under p said:

Kat said:
    I was a waiter once and if that man sat in my section I would've taken care of him the in very same way. Even give up tables to complete that man's meal. I believe when one is willing to give of themselves to others, it comes back or returns to one in the uniquest of ways sometimes never knowing it has.

Peace

Awesome! I love reading news like this. Thanks Kat and g!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

Good on you, g. :) I love coming across those kinds of articles. Here's a different kind of good news.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/price-sticker-removal_us_571a995be4b0d912d5feb4ca
    Kat said:

Good on you, g. :) I love coming across those kinds of articles. Here's a different kind of good news.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/price-sticker-removal_us_571a995be4b0d912d5feb4ca

That a good trick, Kat! If you're like me and full of hot air you can even simply breath heavily on a sticker to loosen it.

I used to use lighter fluid on records and books which works great but that stuff is toxic! I switched to Citrasolv which works really well and is non-toxic. The only catch is to watch for porous surfaces. Citrasolv tends to soak into more porous paper and sometimes leaves a very slight stain (but rarely). And it smells nice!

• EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,103
    Good personal news. My wife gave birth to twin girls last week and they rule.
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Kat said:
    Shelter dogs and hummingbirds are some of my favorite things. Love this story!
    EarlWelsh said:

Congrats on the new additions to the family, Earl! I'm sure you'll get to sleep through the night some time before 2017, so hang in there!
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    That's the great thing about dogs. Poor hummingbird wouldn't last two minutes around one of our kitties.

Congratulations, Earl!
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    hedonist said:

That's the great thing about dogs. Poor hummingbird wouldn't last two minutes around one of our kitties.

Congratulations, Earl!

Hahaha, I think my dog Jack would swallow it whole like a cartoon bird in a Warner Bros film!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    rgambs said:

hedonist said:

Congratulations, Earl!

Hahaha, I think my dog Jack would swallow it whole like a cartoon bird in a Warner Bros film!
    I should've clarified "some" dogs =)
  • EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,103
    Thanks Jeff and hedo!
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    edited May 2016
    EarlWelsh said:

Congratulations EarlWelsh :joy:
    Mistreated lions being saved by Animal Defence International.
    33 lions being saved from really bad conditions on circuses in Peru and Colombia, transported to wildlife in Africa.
    http://bbc.com/news/world-africa-36157483
    I think it's so great that more and more countries are forbidding the use of animals on circuses, it's a very good trend :)
    Post edited by Annafalk on
    Ducks are pretty badass. Smart, too. Intuitive.

My good news? No bad news. Simple, beautifully so.

I'm breathing, alive, smiling, loved (just giving it away too - though judiciously; shit ain't cheap!), and at the moment in no pain.

And been digging on some sweet dog rescue good news stories this evening.
    ^^^ Sounds like a mellow evening, Hedo. Nice.

I used to work at this community college that had a park across the street with a pond and lots of ducks. Just sitting there watching them was always so calming. And it's cool how them come swooping down, skimming on the water surface to land.

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I saw some fresh little ducklings off the dock yesterday on our first trip out on the boat for the year.
    I stopped to watch them and MamaDuck told me to "move along dickbag" with appropriate vigor.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123

hedonist said:

Seen this before but happened upon it again.
    http://www.littlethings.com/dogs-in-a-photo-booth/

AND IT WORKS!

And "pfffffththth" goes Peter the Australian Shepherd to the camera.

Thanks for posting; those are fun.

That dog (second picture) looks like the flying dragon from the never ending story.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
    OMG so cute! That dad's sleeping, isn't he? I swear he's grabbing a nap....can't say I'd blame him. haha. I can't even imagine having six kids.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/parents-adorably-recreate-photo-with-sextuplets-six-years-later_us_575aea23e4b00f97fba8234a?cps=gravity_2246_-3761857398581163330

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited June 2016
    ^^ That is very cute - insanely beautiful babies and parents.
    I wonder how many times dad got pooped and peed on for the first photo shoot? :lol:
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Honestly, I'm not a fan on these re-creating of photos. Why? Leave the original beauty as is. Just seems forced otherwise, at least to me.

All the shit going down these days, been searching out truly positive stories/observances, trying to contribute my own as well. No fanfare or views or going viral needed either. Doing alright with this.

People have been kind way before the internet's exposure. May it continue to be that way.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    I think the photo recreation thing is just a bit of fun. It's interesting to see the changes to people over time when putting them into a past context. I think it is meant to be a bit jarring, and simply funny for the folks doing it. :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata