*** Columbia, SC Fanviews Here 4/21/16 ***

Comments

• KR151056KR151056 Posts: 16

People don't have to love everything Pearl Jam does, and I'm of the opinion that the Raleigh cancellation was a bad idea, from a political activism standpoint. ......

So the only time you can voice an opinion at a Pearl Jam concert is only if you agree with what they are saying? If you disagree, stay silent?

Wait, stay silent? They flat out "booed" all their fans with tickets to Raleigh by cancelling the concert. PJ has how many social media accounts? How many forums? If they had included the fans in their Raleigh decision making by utilizing any of these platforms, I bet the outcome would have been a kick ass rock show with Ed using the stage as a political pulpit.
  • pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,648

Ed vocals were off the chart tonight!

Actually it sounded as if he had a little cold or something. You could tell he was struggling early on in Oceans when he dropped the octave in the chorus. With that being said, he really came through with a clutch performance that is hard to believe given the circumstances. He did the same in Memphis 2014. He never stops trying or giving it his all and it shows. He may have missed a few notes or words here or there but most people couldn't care less because the energy and emotion and determination and power outweigh the technical side by a country mile. He also held some notes really well from time to time. I was impressed with his effort last night.
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    that looks like one hell of a show on paper.
  • hsohihsohi Posts: 1,033

jjheel13 said:

Whew what a blast Greenville-Hampton-Columbia was. Had to compare a full album show to the others but I think Greenville was the best then Columbia then Hampton. However, I thought Hampton was pretty damn good.

I woke up Monday morning with a 103 degree fever which the doctor soon confirmed to be the flu. I've solidered on the last few days with one of the worst illnesses I've ever had.

But that couldn't stop me from seeing the best band in the world!

Thanks guys

Were you fever-free for 24 hours before the show? Hope so, for the sake of the people around you. Just saying . . .
    Especially after what happened to Prince.... Flu....dying
    London Ontario 2013, Buffalo New York 2013, Lincoln Nebraska 2014, Quebec City 2016
  • hadfiiwhadfiiw Posts: 188
    EXCELLENT show! Always loved Low Light near the beginning of a show that is going to start slow. Elderly Woman brings it up just enough for the place to skyrocket during Animal. The Animal, MYM, DTE combo worked really really well IMO. Got to hear some great hits and got to hear some great rare songs. Awesome set.

We were sitting on Stone’s side with everybody to the right of us being non-10 club seats/members with everybody to the left being 10 club. Made sense as once you got a bit farther to the right of us, it was going to be a bad viewing angle. But most of the non-10 club people around us where there for the hits so we had some lull in audience perception at points (sitting down during Marker and Infallible and during most of the encore). Eh, it happens.

Speaking of sitting down, dumb question time. During the band sit-down portion of the show (Rise, Slight Of Hand, Footsteps) should we sit down too if we have seats?

Sounds was MUCH better then Hampton but I feel that Matt’s bass drum is way too loud. During one of the earlier songs (can’t remember which one) I could not hear Mike’s solo at all over Matt’s bass.

I left the show satisfied and exhausted - the true signs of a great show (for me anyway).

PS - Once again, thanks to everybody in the merch line for a great way to pass the time. Love meeting new people and chatting about PJ.
    - ian | www.lukin.com

96 - Charlotte / Charleston
    98 - Atlanta
    00 - Charlotte / Greensboro / Atlanta
    03 - Raleigh / Charlotte / Mountain View / San Diego / Bristow
    04 - Asheville
    05 - Philadelphia
    06 - Washington, DC / Las Vegas / San Diego
    08 - Virginia Beach / Washington DC
    09 - Philadelphia (28th)
    11 - East Troy (3rd) / East Troy (4th)
    13 - Charlottesville / Charlotte
    14 - Memphis
    16 - Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Boston (5th)
    18 - Boston (2nd) / Boston (4th)
    20 - NashvilleBaltimore
    22 - Nashville / Baltimore

• markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    edited April 2016
    hadfiiw said:

Speaking of sitting down, dumb question time. During the band sit-down portion of the show (Rise, Slight Of Hand, Footsteps) should we sit down too if we have seats?

I didn't sit down for it, neither did most of the people in my section. I don't think it's a big deal either way. Just depends on how you're feeling and if you can handle standing the whole time imo.

My wife sat down for parts of the show, but she's not a hardcore fan. She goes with me to hear the hits and enjoys seeing me have fun. Plus, I will go with her when her favorite is playing close by.
    Post edited by markymark550 on
  • Red MosquitoRed Mosquito Charlotte, NC Posts: 68
    My favorite parts of this absolutely spectacular performance from Pearl Jam last night.

--This was my 36th show, and every version of every song last night seemed to be the best I've ever heard. Ed's voice sounds as powerful and clear as ever.

--Immortality, Light Years and Marker In The Sand really shined. Immortality especially. McCready's solo and the final jam were out of this world. MITS was played really fast and edgy, with Ed hanging off his mic stand and just demanding your attention during the song.

--Ed playing the harmonica during Footsteps. I mean, how incredible is that moment?

--Rise!!!

--The energy of the crowd. The Raleigh cancellation seemed to ramp up the anticipation for last night. You could feel it when the wave broke out in the arena prior to the lights going out. ... And the band delivered the goods. Holy cow.

--Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorns. I was watching the JumboTron which was showing close ups of fans in the front row ... the joy in people's faces was beautiful to see.

--Ed's overall performance on stage for 3+ hours was nothing short of spectacular. He left it all out there. The vibe I got from the band was that they were trying to give their fans who were disappointed in missing Raleigh a little something extra. They delivered. The fans and band alike seemed pleased to be back out there having fun again. I am still buzzing from this show.
  • mcrokmcrok Posts: 628
    edited April 2016
    yea

Post edited by mcrok on
    96 - Ft Lauderdale
    98 - ATL; WPB I & II
    00 - WPB I & II
    03 - Boston I; Detroit I & II
    04 - Boston VFC I & II
    05 - Borgata II
    08 - WPB; NY MSG I & II
    10 - CLE
    12 - Music Midtown; EV Jax II; EV Orlando I&II
    13 - BWI; CVille; CLT
    14 - Memphis
    16 - Jax; Gville; Cola; Fenway II
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489

I don't think there is anything wrong with being booed. You can't cancel on 15,000 people and the next night expect everyone to love you. If you want everyone to have a voice you can't expect that every voice will agree with you. Pearl Jam gets nothing but cheers for them 99% of the time. They have been the boss (maybe not at home) for almost all of their adult lives. They spend their off days in Hawaii and building skate parks. They can handle a little criticism.

People don't have to love everything Pearl Jam does, and I'm of the opinion that the Raleigh cancellation was a bad idea, from a political activism standpoint. But it's just rude to boo people -- any people -- on a stage. It's a really vulnerable place to be, no matter how many shows you have under your belt. Here was Eddie trying to apologize, and instead of forgiveness, he got a fuck you. I don't like that.
    Is it really an apology if you would do the same thing under the same circumstances? I don't really get much from that apology otherwise.
  • Mignelli14Mignelli14 Posts: 626
    The band is red hot right now holy cow. Any setlist with Chloe/Crown in there is A okay for me. Nice gestures for Prince as well
  • wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    edited April 2016
    Agree with the MC comment earlier..the guy is so under rated..hes playing his ass off every show..
    The line about Prince leaving 3 songs in the floor of the shower was great.
    Post edited by wndowpayne on
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    And screw you all for that setlist you got..gezzzus..
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• jeffwalshjeffwalsh Posts: 169
    dogtown said:

So with195xxx they put me on the floor five rows back behind GA. Went to check my usual 10 club spot and what did I find? People who bought $30 tickets on stubhub two hours prior, or on Ticketmaster this afternoon. So general market seats beat out ten club now? Should we all just buy tickets online day of show?

The problem with that logic is you wouldn't know if you were going to get in until an hour or two before showtime, since one imagines those seats were listed for above face value and reduced very late in the game. Also, many arenas have certain blocks of seats reserved for season pass holders to its sporting events, etc., so many of those seats are not available for public sale. But nothing stopping a season pass holder from buying it and reselling it, although in this case it didn't pan out for them.
  • 59fender59fender Statesville NC Posts: 46
    My 5th PJ show, and the 2nd time I got Oceans as a opener, and again with the venue being not so close the the ocean! (My 1st time was Columbus OH 2010) I would have to bet that they guys were spending some time at SC a beach for this southern leg. Light Years, I Got Shit, Life Wasted, Slight of Hand, Footsteps, All Those Yesterdays, Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorns, we're all new ones for me. The slow burn opener for this show did give it a different vibe than Gville.

Some hiccups during the show, I think Boom had some equipment issues during Infalliable. Mike forgot where he was in the song for Ledbetter, and missed pretty much the entire solo. He did kill it in Gville tho! Not exactly sure the tease Mike and Boom did before Chloe was Purple rain, couldnt really tell what it was, will have to take another listen when the boot comes out. Mike did tease the intro for Purple Rain at the end of Ledbetter, the key change from E to F, and then back to E, made it sound a little strange. But it was still very cool for him to pay homage to such an incredible musician.

Prince will be missed. Eddie mentioned something about Prince earlier in the night before Light Years, that songs just ran out of him, like water runs off of you in the shower. And that Prince would have 3 new songs everytime he took a shower.

If I had to rank the shows I have attended, I would rank Gville above this show, although for me every show is special in its own way, and it makes it very difficult to rank shows. That's why I love the band, love seeing them live, and will continue to go to shows when I can, where I can.
    edited April 2016
    KR151056 said:

They flat out "booed" all their fans with tickets to Raleigh by cancelling the concert.

As a longtime fan who had a Raleigh ticket who also encouraged the boycott, I can debunk your use of the word "all" as appropriate. I cheered them on here when they did it, and I cheered them from the pit last night when he mentioned cancelling, as did many others.

Post edited by jeffwalsh on
    I think last night was my first time seeing Jeremy live since Lollapalooza 1992?! That seems impossible, though... crazy. Do they really play it that infrequently, or am I just missing it randomly?!
  • retroponyretropony Myrtle Beach SC Posts: 349
    hsohi said:

jjheel13 said:

Whew what a blast Greenville-Hampton-Columbia was. Had to compare a full album show to the others but I think Greenville was the best then Columbia then Hampton. However, I thought Hampton was pretty damn good.

I woke up Monday morning with a 103 degree fever which the doctor soon confirmed to be the flu. I've solidered on the last few days with one of the worst illnesses I've ever had.

Thanks guys

Were you fever-free for 24 hours before the show? Hope so, for the sake of the people around you. Just saying . . .
    Yes........because the "flu" killed Prince..........
    Washington DC 2008
    Charlotte NC 2013
    Greenville SC 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    hsohi said:

jjheel13 said:

Thanks guys

heroin flu....
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,525
    I didn't have a problem with people booing a little. I've said on here how I thought canceling was wrong. I thought there were some people by us in GA taking it a little too far. People flicking off the band and yelling "fuck you Eddie" is too far, imo.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • pierj53pierj53 Posts: 301

Agree with the MC comment earlier..the guy is so under rated..hes playing his ass off every show..
    The line about Prince leaving 3 songs in the floor of the shower was great.

MC is in no way under rated...I read the dude made 46 million between March 15' and March 16' alone! Crazy! Side note, he's worth 146 million, more than Ed and Stonecombined
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,758

People don't have to love everything Pearl Jam does, and I'm of the opinion that the Raleigh cancellation was a bad idea, from a political activism standpoint. But it's just rude to boo people -- any people -- on a stage. It's a really vulnerable place to be, no matter how many shows you have under your belt. Here was Eddie trying to apologize, and instead of forgiveness, he got a fuck you. I don't like that.

So the only time you can voice an opinion at a Pearl Jam concert is only if you agree with what they are saying? If you disagree, stay silent?

My original point was that I wish Ed hadn't brought it up. But he did, to apologize. I'm all about forgiveness. That was my second point.
  • inmyNCinmyNC amongst many Posts: 243
    Quite a few songs that I haven't heard them play live before. The sound was spot on.. People at the show were energized and most of all friendly and respectful. The band has great fans!!! Really thought Ed's statement on the Raleigh cancellation was well said.. I thought it was a fantastic show.. Thanks to the band and my fellow fans for making a great night!!
  • jjheel13jjheel13 Durham, NC Posts: 222
    hsohi said:

jjheel13 said:

Thanks guys

Yeah if you actually believe Prince died of the flu I have a lot of junk to sell ya. I stayed away from people as well as I could.
    Bristow 10
    Boston 10
    Moline 14
    Greenville 16
    Hampton 16
    Columbia 16
  • PJlivePJlive Earth Posts: 469

heroin flu....

LMFAO! Sad but true
    9/1-9/2/2000 - Tweeter Center, Camden, NJ
    4/28/2003 - The Spectrum, Phila, PA
    5/3/2003 - Bryce Jordan Center, State College, PA
    7/5-7/6/2003 - Tweeter Center, Camden, NJ
    7/13/2003 - Hershey Park, Hershey, PA
    10/1/2004 - Sovereign Center, Reading, PA
    9/1/2005 - Gorge, George, WA
    10/03/2005 - Wachovia Center, Phila, PA
    5/27-5/28/2006 - Tweeter Center, Camden, NJ
    6/16/2008 - Columbia, SC
    6/19-6/20/2008 - Tweeter Center, Camden, NJ
    6/24-6/25 - Madison Square Garden
    10/28-10/31/2008 - The Spectrum, Phila, PA
    9/22/2012 - MidTown, Atlanta, GA
    10/21-10/22 - Wells Fargo Center, Phila, PA
    10/30/2013 - Charlotte, NC
    04/21/2016 - Columbia, SC
  • dlymnflddlymnfld CT Posts: 917
    edited April 2016

hsohi said:

jjheel13 said:

Thanks guys

heroin flu....
    Probably Oxy (from the reports of the Narcan injection a week earlier) plus he had a bad hip but just the same. Sad.
    Post edited by dlymnfld on
    Springfield 4/6/94, Boston 4/6/94, Hartford 10/2/96, New York 9/11/98, Hartford 9/13/98, Mansfield 8/30/00, Boston 9/28/04, Reading 10/1/04, Quebec City 9/20/05, Boston 5/24/06, Hartford 5/13/06, New York 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08 Philadelphia 10/31/09, Hartford 10/15/10,
    Boston 10/17/10, East Troy 9/3/11, East Troy 9/4/11, Missoula 9/30/12, Worcester 10/15/13, Hartford 10/25/13, Charlottesville 10/29/13,
    St. Paul 10/19/14, New York 9/26/15, Quebec City 5/5/16, Boston 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18, Boston 9/4/18, Quebec City 9/1/22, Camden 9/14/22, Oklahoma City 9/20/22 
  • ComeToTX said:

I didn't have a problem with people booing a little. I've said on here how I thought canceling was wrong. I thought there were some people by us in GA taking it a little too far. People flicking off the band and yelling "fuck you Eddie" is too far, imo.

Totally agree, I personally didnt have a problem with them cancelling the raleigh show(although I was pissed at first because I didnt know if I was going to make it to Columbia or not). I totally understand being upset but flicking the band off and screaming and swearing at them kinda put me down for a minute... until they started playing again. For the most part the crowd energy was awesome though
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    This show ...like they all are.... was amazing.
    Crown of Thorns......
    My mind is still blown
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • dpduke69dpduke69 Raleigh, NC Posts: 187
    I knew it was gonna happen when Eddie mentioned Andy. Highlight of the show for me.
    2013: Charlotte
    2016: Greenville Columbia
  • KR151056KR151056 Posts: 16
    MERCH BULLY?!?! Got the kids out the door to school, pups crated and hit the road to Columbia for the show. Was still feeling bummed over the Raleigh cancellation but, cranked PJ on the road trip, and joined fellow fans in merch line...soon the positive energy took over. UNTIL some RUDE INCONSIDERATE JERK simply walked up and jumped into the merch line. This was after he tried to cut in by me, my husband and the 7 people we had been talking to for the 2-1/2+ hrs. we had been standing in line. Outcome? After I confronted him and he became belligerent, I got a merch rep, local cop. Even with more than half the people @ the merch van said he was nowhere in line, he lied to the cop and said he just wanted his merch and would leave (even though he had said he had tixs to the show)...the cop let him to the front of the line and made everyone stand aside while he bought whatever he wanted! Really?

To all those in the merch line in Columbia who didn't get a poster, it was this lying, line cutting tool who was escorted to the front of the line by local cops and PJ merch who robbed you....despite your fellow PJ fans, who stood with you for HOURS, told them he was the outsider. My guess? His Columbia PJ poster was the first to hit eBay.
  • mcrokmcrok Posts: 628
    KR151056 said:

MERCH BULLY?!?! Got the kids out the door to school, pups crated and hit the road to Columbia for the show. Was still feeling bummed over the Raleigh cancellation but, cranked PJ on the road trip, and joined fellow fans in merch line...soon the positive energy took over. UNTIL some RUDE INCONSIDERATE JERK simply walked up and jumped into the merch line. This was after he tried to cut in by me, my husband and the 7 people we had been talking to for the 2-1/2+ hrs. we had been standing in line. Outcome? After I confronted him and he became belligerent, I got a merch rep, local cop. Even with more than half the people @ the merch van said he was nowhere in line, he lied to the cop and said he just wanted his merch and would leave (even though he had said he had tixs to the show)...the cop let him to the front of the line and made everyone stand aside while he bought whatever he wanted! Really?

To all those in the merch line in Columbia who didn't get a poster, it was this lying, line cutting tool who was escorted to the front of the line by local cops and PJ merch who robbed you....despite your fellow PJ fans, who stood with you for HOURS, told them he was the outsider. My guess? His Columbia PJ poster was the first to hit eBay.

From what I could tell the merch line was not nearly as organized as the other shows I was at...Jax and Gville. Also, the entrance and exit from that arena is a unorganized cluster F.
    96 - Ft Lauderdale
    98 - ATL; WPB I & II
    00 - WPB I & II
    03 - Boston I; Detroit I & II
    04 - Boston VFC I & II
    05 - Borgata II
    08 - WPB; NY MSG I & II
    10 - CLE
    12 - Music Midtown; EV Jax II; EV Orlando I&II
    13 - BWI; CVille; CLT
    14 - Memphis
    16 - Jax; Gville; Cola; Fenway II