Options

*** Columbia, SC Fanviews Here 4/21/16 ***

Comments

• Options
    MS657977MS657977 Atlanta Posts: 10
    Hello PJ people. I just joined and wanted to post some pictures, but I don't see any others. Is that simply Not Done here? I don't want be "that guy."

Greenville was my first PJ show, for some reason I cannot possibly fathom the stupidity of right now, and I didn't think it could get any better until Columbia. One of the best shows I've ever seen and I have been to hundreds of shows. I wish I had arranged to see more this tour. Next time. Unless I can finagle Boston.
  • Options
    mandarine65mandarine65 Posts: 133

ComeToTX said:

I didn't have a problem with people booing a little. I've said on here how I thought canceling was wrong. I thought there were some people by us in GA taking it a little too far. People flicking off the band and yelling "fuck you Eddie" is too far, imo.

Totally agree, I personally didnt have a problem with them cancelling the raleigh show(although I was pissed at first because I didnt know if I was going to make it to Columbia or not). I totally understand being upset but flicking the band off and screaming and swearing at them kinda put me down for a minute... until they started playing again. For the most part the crowd energy was awesome though
    Agreed. Seriously people yelling Bullsh&@# at Eddie when he was explaining their decision really got me angry. First of all you decided to go to the show so either shut the F. up or stand by your opinion and don't go to the show, show some integrity like the band does. Second of all, you are lucky enough to actually see them live (and I assume these guys probably saw more than one show during the tour) so why the F. are you complaining, many Raleigh fans did not have that chance! I've complained on various stuff on this site but this has become ridiculous!
  • Options
    KR151056KR151056 Posts: 16

From what I could tell the merch line was not nearly as organized as the other shows I was at...Jax and Gville. Also, the entrance and exit from that arena is a unorganized cluster F.

Agreed! G'ville was amazingly organized. Loved that their venue staff managed the line up toward the merch van, were selling food and alcoholic/non-alcoholic beverages.
  • Options
    KM206988KM206988 Denver, CO Posts: 28
    Please post photos here: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/253490/columbia-sc-photos#latest

Can't wait to see all the great shots!
    Sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky _.. a human being that was given to fly _..
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,774
    It was fantastic, from beginning to end. Getting SOH after not hearing it live for years was "the" highlight for me personally. I can honestly say I was rocking and singing along to every song. And Rise is my fave from ITW, so that was awesome too. As far as setlists go, for shows I've attended, I'll put it up there w/Spectrum 09 Friday set. Certainly made the Raleigh cancellation less painful.

Immortality, Crown, Oceans, I Got Shit, it was phenomenal. Thanks PJ for putting it all out there and giving the fans an evening we'll never forget.
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,455
    SOFH! (Sleight Of Fucking Hand) Drops the mic...........
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,086
    I didn't read through all of this, but did anyone notice Ed and Jeff getting confused when Stone started Alive? They went with it. Stone was then talking to the guys while playing Alive and apologizing and laughing.

Saw a setlist posted today and it looked like Columbia was suppose to get Sonic reducer before alive (or instead of) and It's stone's fault we didn't ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options

ComeToTX said:

I didn't have a problem with people booing a little. I've said on here how I thought canceling was wrong. I thought there were some people by us in GA taking it a little too far. People flicking off the band and yelling "fuck you Eddie" is too far, imo.

Totally agree, I personally didnt have a problem with them cancelling the raleigh show(although I was pissed at first because I didnt know if I was going to make it to Columbia or not). I totally understand being upset but flicking the band off and screaming and swearing at them kinda put me down for a minute... until they started playing again. For the most part the crowd energy was awesome though
    Agreed. Seriously people yelling Bullsh&@# at Eddie when he was explaining their decision really got me angry. First of all you decided to go to the show so either shut the F. up or stand by your opinion and don't go to the show, show some integrity like the band does. Second of all, you are lucky enough to actually see them live (and I assume these guys probably saw more than one show during the tour) so why the F. are you complaining, many Raleigh fans did not have that chance! I've complained on various stuff on this site but this has become ridiculous!
    Really? This surprised you? I bet it didn't surprise them. And it's a rock show, both the band and the audience get to participate.

That said, while I think they made the wrong choice in Raleigh I wouldn't boo them. They made a decision that while sucked for the fans, had noble intentions.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options

It was fantastic, from beginning to end. Getting SOH after not hearing it live for years was "the" highlight for me personally. I can honestly say I was rocking and singing along to every song. And Rise is my fave from ITW, so that was awesome too. As far as setlists go, for shows I've attended, I'll put it up there w/Spectrum 09 Friday set. Certainly made the Raleigh cancellation less painful.

Immortality, Crown, Oceans, I Got Shit, it was phenomenal. Thanks PJ for putting it all out there and giving the fans an evening we'll never forget.

It was a terrific setlist. Masterfully crafted and executed. So Good. I honestly can't decide if I preferred Greenville or Columbia. Hampton was certainly a distant 3rd.

The bad was on fire these shows. And the crowds in SC were terrific. I got shit was amazing and I finally saw oceans. Just amazing energy from the band
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,556
    got in line for merch at 3:20 and got a poster right around 4. no issues with merch line.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    Thanks Pearl Jam for fulfilling a long held dream of mine to hear Oceans live. It was everything I'd hoped for and, honestly, I could have gone home right then. Naturally I did not and instead was treated to a number of songs I'd not heard/seen live previously and an outstanding version of Chloe Dancer/Crown Of Thorns. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Saw Greenville,Hampton and Columbia and had tickets for Raleigh (my home town). All the shows were great but I'd put Greenville on top (Vs !!!) followed very, very closely by Coulmbia and then Hampton. The cancellation of Raleigh was a heartbreak for me but in the big picture it was, I feel, the right thing to do.

The band has neversounded better and genuinely look to be enjoying the shows, the crowds and each other. To those who are attending upcoming shows you are in for a treat. You're in for a great ride. To quote Samuel L. Jackson in Jurassic Park: "Hold onto your butts..."
    Raleigh, NC., 8/31/98, Charlotte, NC., 8/4/00, Greensboro, NC., 8/6/00, Mountain View, CA., 10/31/00, Raleigh, NC., 4/15/03, Charlotte, NC., 4/16/03, Mountain View, CA., 10/25/03, Asheville, NC., 10/6/04, Philadelphia, PA., 10/3/05, Washington D.C, 5/30/06, Virginia Beach, VA., 6/17/07, Philadelphia, PA., 10/28/09, Charlottesville, VA., 10/29/13, Charlotte, NC., 10/30/13, Memphis, TN., 10/14/14, Greenville, SC., 4/16/16, Hampton, VA., 4/19/16, Raleigh, NC., 4/20/16, Columbia, SC., 4/21/16, Boston, MA., 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18 & 9/4/18., Nashville, TN., 4/2/20., Nashville, TN., 9/16/22.

EV Solo - Washington, D.C., 8/17/08, Atlanta, GA., 6/24/09, Orlando, FL., 11/27/12.
  • Options
    mcrokmcrok Posts: 628

I didn't read through all of this, but did anyone notice Ed and Jeff getting confused when Stone started Alive? They went with it. Stone was then talking to the guys while playing Alive and apologizing and laughing.

Saw a setlist posted today and it looked like Columbia was suppose to get Sonic reducer before alive (or instead of) and It's stone's fault we didn't ;)

I noticed this as well...Sonic Reducer would have been really nice right there too
    96 - Ft Lauderdale
    98 - ATL; WPB I & II
    00 - WPB I & II
    03 - Boston I; Detroit I & II
    04 - Boston VFC I & II
    05 - Borgata II
    08 - WPB; NY MSG I & II
    10 - CLE
    12 - Music Midtown; EV Jax II; EV Orlando I&II
    13 - BWI; CVille; CLT
    14 - Memphis
    16 - Jax; Gville; Cola; Fenway II
  • Options
    CobberCobber Posts: 4
    I went to both the Greenville and Columbia shows and would have to say that this was the most intense, emotionally uplifting and physically draining 6 hours of entertainment that I have ever had!

Front row floor seating in Greenville where I got to give Ed a hand during "Leash" and an awesome time in the pit in Columbia. Two fantastic set lists and rocking crowds.

Rather than argue which was better, I'm taking it all in as a whole because it could not have been a better experience.

Thanks for creating a lifetime memory for me and my son!
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,691
    Not much mention of yesterday's in the reviews

How was that'?
  • Options
    WashedWashed Posts: 736
    pdalowsky said:

How was that'?

Surprised this one doesn't get more love - I thought it played wonderfully live and was one of the highlights of the show (along with my first Crown of Thorns!).
    this city is so filthy, like my mind in ways
  • Options
    MS657977MS657977 Atlanta Posts: 10
    Someone started a pictures thread, so I put some of mine in there.
    http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/253490/columbia-sc-photos#latest
  • Options
    stevedsteved Posts: 651
    pdalowsky said:

How was that'?

Yesterday's was performed extremely tightly.. Ed motioned to the band to keep it slow.. It was played at a nice slow tempo.. Mike played the solo in key that back in 98 Stone would play.. Overall very strong performance!!!

I got a setlist and there is no reference to Sonic Reducer that I have seen on any, I could be wrong on other versions..
    1994 - Pensacola, Miami, Atlanta - 1995 - Milwaukee, Milwaukee, New Orleans (Tickets to Phoenix, Las Cruces, Austin, Shows Canceled) - 1996 - Randalls Island, Randalls Island, Charlotte, N.Charleston, Ft. Lauderdale - 1997 - Oakland -1998 - Alpine Valley, Alpine Valley, Chicago, West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach -  2000 - West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach, Phoenix, Las Vegas (10th Anniversary Show)  - 2003 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Atlanta, Nashville, Camden, Camden, MSG, MSG - 2004 - Kissimmee, Fl  -  2006 - Irving Plaza, Albany, Hartford, Denver, Denver, Las Vegas - 2007 - Ed w/ Jack Irons & Flea in LA  - 2008 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Columbia, Camden, Camden, Washington D.C. - 2009 - L.A., San Diego, Philly Spectrum Night 3 & 4  - 2010 - New Orleans, Columbus, Indianapolis, Hartford, MSG, MSG - 2011 - Ed - Hartford, Providence, Boston - 2011 - Alpine Valley X2 (PJ20), Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver - 2012 - Ed - Ft. Lauderdale x2, - 2012 / 2014 Beautiful Daughter "Emily" born 11/07/12. On the bench for 3 years! She's really cute though! - 2015 - Mexico City - 2016 - Ft. Laud, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Greenville, Raleigh, Columbia, Philly 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley Night 1 & 2 - 2016 - MSG, San Francisco, San Francisco, Seattle, Seattle (TOTD) - 2018 - Seattle 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2

• Options
    jordn6971jordn6971 Posts: 675
    edited April 2016
    Are
    pdalowsky said:

How was that'?

Was the highlight of the show. A lot of good reviews for this show but honestly it was the worst I have seen. Mike was off all night and his guitar was too quiet. The death of Prince must have hit him hard. Would have liked more than 10 seconds of purple rain too. Greatest hits show for the most part.
    Post edited by jordn6971 on
    "There was a band playing in my head, and I felt like getting high"
  • Options
    edited April 2016

I booed. You might have heard me on Mikes side 5 rows up haha. And Ed didn't even really apologize. Raleigh was a big F U to the traveling fans. Shows how much they care about us.

Waiting till 48 hrs before was a dick move.

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    jordn6971 said:

I booed. You might have heard me on Mikes side 5 rows up haha. And Ed didn't even really apologize. Raleigh was a big F U to the traveling fans. Shows how much they care about us.

Waiting till 48 hrs before was a dick move.

Boo hoo
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    DId you have flights hotels and rental cars booked that you had to eat the cost of?
  • Options
    edited April 2016

"So the only time you can voice an opinion at a Pearl Jam concert is only if you agree with what they are saying? If you disagree, stay silent?

Wait, stay silent? They flat out "booed" all their fans with tickets to Raleigh by cancelling the concert. PJ has how many social media accounts? How many forums? If they had included the fans in their Raleigh decision making by utilizing any of these platforms, I bet the outcome would have been a kick ass rock show with Ed using the stage as a political pulpit."

Agreed. They band tried to do the right thing but did it in the worst way possible. Really a bad decision. Especially waiting until the last minute. I was boarding my plane when I saw the show was cancelled. If Widespread panic wasn't playing down here as well my trip would have been ruined.
  • Options
    OK I need to stop posting clearly my phone isn't working with this
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    hadfiiw said:

EXCELLENT show! Always loved Low Light near the beginning of a show that is going to start slow. Elderly Woman brings it up just enough for the place to skyrocket during Animal. The Animal, MYM, DTE combo worked really really well IMO. Got to hear some great hits and got to hear some great rare songs. Awesome set.

We were sitting on Stone’s side with everybody to the right of us being non-10 club seats/members with everybody to the left being 10 club. Made sense as once you got a bit farther to the right of us, it was going to be a bad viewing angle. But most of the non-10 club people around us where there for the hits so we had some lull in audience perception at points (sitting down during Marker and Infallible and during most of the encore). Eh, it happens.

Speaking of sitting down, dumb question time. During the band sit-down portion of the show (Rise, Slight Of Hand, Footsteps) should we sit down too if we have seats?

Sounds was MUCH better then Hampton but I feel that Matt’s bass drum is way too loud. During one of the earlier songs (can’t remember which one) I could not hear Mike’s solo at all over Matt’s bass.

I left the show satisfied and exhausted - the true signs of a great show (for me anyway).

PS - Once again, thanks to everybody in the merch line for a great way to pass the time. Love meeting new people and chatting about PJ.

I could barely here Mike all night. They need to crank him up! I love his energy but sometimes I do wish he would spend more time with his hands playin his guitar rather than pointing at everyone and so forth.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    jordn6971 said:

DId you have flights hotels and rental cars booked that you had to eat the cost of?

Hahaha no, those aren't things I use in my world.
    I spent a week in N and S Carolina, saw Greenville and Columbia shows, but had they cancelled I still would have had an amazing week in a beautiful part of the country, and I would have put my agreement with a big statement against bigotry before my disappointment over missing PJ shows.
    Money wasted on travel is not something that happens to the adventurous!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Im lucky i salvaged my trip with three amazing widespread panic concerts. And of course i'm not a fan of the bill in NC either but there were plenty of options besides cancelling the show. I was boarding my plane when I heard the show was cancelled. Either give more notice or play the show and make a statement with donations and positive actions.
  • Options
    tfreaneytfreaney Posts: 26
    I realize it is impossible to please everyone; however, this has to be said: STOP BITCHING! If you are a TRUE Pearl Jam fan, you are happy for ANY opportunity to be in the same building with the band. Who cares if one show is similar to the next? I was at all 4 Florida shows and while I have an opinion on each show, they were all amazing to my boyfriend and I. Met awesome people - some true fans, some idiots and some indifferent - at each show and loved every minute of it all. We'll be at both Philly shows - where I know both will have tons of TRUE fans - and afterward will be left in "PJ withdrawal". Yes, you are entitled to your own opinion, but if you feel the need to complain - stay home and let the rest of us enjoy our time with our favorite band...
    We named our dog Mookie!
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,556
    Yeah, if you're complaining about PJ shows then you've probably been to too many. I feel lucky to have my 19th next week and would be happy with whatever they choose to play.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    pathorsespathorses Posts: 319
    Atlanta 3/94
    Charleston 10/96
    Greenville 4/98
    Charlotte 8/00
    Charlotte 4/03
    Gorge I & II 7/06
    Columbia 6/08
    Jazz Festival 5/10
    Noblesville 5/10
  • Options
    rvmirror67rvmirror67 Posts: 37
    edited April 2016

ComeToTX said:

Totally agree with the lack of respect for the band in Columbia over the Raleigh decision. I personally didnt have a problem with them cancelling the Raleigh show, it was the right thing to do. HB2 is a bullshit law that never should have passed. I totally understand being upset but flicking the band off and screaming and swearing at them kinda put me down for a minute... until they started playing again. For the most part the crowd energy was awesome though

Raleigh is my hometown and I was so stoked to see them at 'home' again, and getting some Raleigh swag - not to mention, my floor seats were insanely great.

That being said, I COMPLETELY stand by their decision not to play, what with the political bigotry and just plain idiocy we've been stuck with for years now...

A lot of us misplaced Raleigh folks who got last minute tickets were behind the stage in Columbia. In front of me was a woman with a huge, 2 sided unpleasant poster she kept flashing and flipping, every time they turned around- which was only towards the start of the show. She and her companion also sat for most of the show, and walked out during Chloe (who does that???).

Anyway, I tried to ignore her & let my anger towards her crappy attitude go, and enjoy the show I'd fought so hard to get to- driving an extra 6 hours, having to get a hotel took a lot out of my pocket, plus rescheduling my work week- after they canceled. I was determined that Hampton was NOT going to be my only show this tour that I could get to feasibly. And I'm so happy I went to Columbia, cause the show was fucking phenomenal. I GOT ID....

So finally, point being- I think that woman's sign influenced how little we were even acknowledged back there. In Hampton they made a point to really include the folks behind the stage. In Columbia, we may as well have not been back there. Seeing PJ live is very personal and powerful to me, and I felt she ruined it for all of us back there behind the stage.

And again, I don't blame the band- the blame lands on that woman and her shitty sign. If you were so angry, why did you come to Columbia??? If you are on here, you know who you are, and you suck- along with all the other bullshit people booing & flicking them off, due to their decision to make a stand against a backdoor sneaky overnight bullshit law.
    You ALL suck. Don't show up next time.

PS thanks for letting me get that off my chest finally, and thank you for all of you who support their decision and don't lay blame.
    Post edited by rvmirror67 on

1992-8-18 Lollapalooza, Raleigh NC
    2012-11-24 Jacksonville FL, Eddie solo tour
    2012-11-25 Jacksonville FL, Eddie solo tour
    2013-10-27 Baltimore MD
    2013-10-29 Charlottesville VA
    2013-10-30 Charlotte NC
    2013=making up for lost time

[/img]