Options

Pearl Jam Cancels 4/20 Raleigh, NC Concert in Opposition to HB2; Official Band Statement

Comments

• Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,713
    The issue is trending on BBC here in the Uk today, albeit no mention of the cancellations of much note of the NC position other than a brief reference

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-36085314
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    edited April 2016
    Their power is in their music. That's their superpower. Without it (with all due respect) they are just guys.

They helped free the wm3 by playing the long game. Persistence, spreading awareness at their shows, raising money, and also staying engaged with those falsely imprisoned.

Pulling anchor and cancelling grabs a secondary headline for a couple days but it goes away. This law isn't getting reversed today because of this. Cancelling doesnt change any minds or raise money for a cause. It just silences. This law was already national news. The disappointment (and monitary loss) of their fans far outweighs the difference that this move makes over other, less cancelly methods. Like has been mentioned. This law was walking the green mile the second it was "passed"

It hurts their somewhat like minded fans, a generally liberal urban area, complete with higher education institutions. The Carolina Hurricanes missing the playoffs has a much worse economic impact. I'm sure those in North Carolina who are for this law are watching fox news and happy that pearl Jam was "scared off". It's a 'victory' when your state is rejected by the 'libs'.

Use their music to create the good. Pull a Foo fighters or something. Pull up a flat bed with amps into the state capital, plug in the amps, dress in drag, and play ridiculous and loud music in front of the state building... know your rights, life wasted, etc. If they get arrested and spend the night in jail.... that is unifying to the cause and courageous. They couldn't play the show and that would create huge news. The video would go viral and create way more buzz.
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728

Do you know the law that was passed? How it was passed and why? I'm a NC resident, and I'm aware the law will be repealed during the next mini session of the legislation in 6 weeks/I believe that's when it is. Just wondering if others outside NC really know? Apparently PJ didn't know the amount of pressure the government is under already for the deception they caused with this bill passage. (every heavy hitting educational system/UNC and Duke to name a few, corporation, political group/legislation, Labor groups, textile group, technology groups and the majority of the communities have voiced their displeasure and want to over turn this law. It'll happen in 6 weeks).

And then people around here will say "See! Pearl Jam made this happen."
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    jdopjjdopj Posts: 649
    MayDay10 said:

Their power is in their music. That's their superpower. Without it (with all due respect) they are just guys.

They helped free the wm3 by playing the long game. Persistence, spreading awareness at their shows, raising money, and also staying engaged with those falsely imprisoned.

Pulling anchor and cancelling grabs a secondary headline for a couple days but it goes away. This law isn't getting reversed today because of this. Cancelling doesnt change any minds or raise money for a cause. It just silences. This law was already national news.

It hurts their somewhat like minded fans, a generally liberal urban area, complete with higher education institutions. The Carolina Hurricanes missing the playoffs has a much worse economic impact. I'm sure those in North Carolina who are for this law are watching fox news and happy that pearl Jam was "scared off". It's a 'victory' when your state is rejected by the 'libs'.

Use their music to create the good. Pull a Foo fighters or something. Pull up a flat bed with amps into the state capital, plug in the amps, dress in drag, and play ridiculous and loud music in front of the state building... know your rights, life wasted, etc. If they get arrested and spend the night in jail.... that is unifying to the cause and courageous. They couldn't play the show and that would create huge news. The video would go viral and create way more buzz.

This exactly
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

Pulling anchor and cancelling grabs a secondary headline for a couple days but it goes away. This law isn't getting reversed today because of this. Cancelling doesnt change any minds or raise money for a cause. It just silences. This law was already national news. The disappointment (and monitary loss) of their fans far outweighs the difference that this move makes over other, less cancelly methods. Like has been mentioned. This law was walking the green mile the second it was "passed"

They probably don't fancy spending time in jail to be fair
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    well one night in jail pales in comparison to a group of people who are being oppressed.

(tongue in cheek, but that is exactly what people are doing to us on this board and the facebook groups who agree with Pearl Jam AND disagree with their handling of this. I dont appreciate my character being discarded like that).

Really though, I can think of a dozen ways to handle this better and more effective than they did. That was just one example. I doubt they would get thrown in jail for that, but if they did... on the day of the show.... it would be MAJOR. Worst case is they would have a very humorous, and viral video that would generate a ton of clicks and they could also show it just before the show to rile everyone up... much more than cancelling.

Pearl jam fans have been good soldiers for them throughout their careers. Many of us supported Nader (which history shows as a horrific boo-boo), we Voted for Change, we freed the West Memphis 3 (I own 2 different shirts and contributed), all the Wishlist stuff, Team Gleason, we support Yellow Ribbon because Eddie said it was cool, etc. Its kind of a slap in the face that the band would 'use' us like this... Cancelling the show accomplishes next to nothing for the cause. What it does do is ruin vacations, costs fans (who agree with you) money and an experience they cherish and have been looking forward to for a long time.

• Options
    JP LosmanJP Losman Raleigh Posts: 149
    But something like that would require real effort and dedication to the cause, something that I now think PJ is not entirely genuine about but rather grandstanding.

I will forever love their music. I doubt I will cancel my tenclub as I've invested 16 years of it even though its harder and harder for me to see them. But when/if I'm at my next show, and Eddie is rambling on some politics, I used to respect and appreciate those comments. Now I will be one of the many fans who thinks (maybe even shouts but I'm not that aggressive), shut up and just play. Nobody cares what you think, you hypocrite. My wife has dedicated her life and career to fighting social injustice in NC. I am involved too and make many sacrifices. Don't cheapen our efforts by pretending you care as much and that you truly thought this was the best way to make a difference. Sure, this is a statement but you could have done so much more. Now, you are just a hypocrite for playing all the states and countries with bad laws. Indiana has had worse laws on the books. It borders Chicago. Cancelling Chicago would make a way bigger difference for bringing awareness to their laws. Oh, and Chicago has a huge problem with gun violence and discrimination. Both of these issues that a lot of their white fans are not passionate about so cancelling a Chicago show to show support for those causes and to ask the local voters to step their game up would make a much bigger impact than PJ cancelling here because of HB2. By cancelling Chicago, you truly could be game changers as activists. All my friends who live there agree that would be a monster statement. But of course PJ would never do that. It would hurt their PR image too much.

• Options
    I guess though that they note that they are role models to a good many people, and getting yourself thrown in jail regardless of your belief system, is never too clever.

but absolutely - I see your point
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,540
    edited April 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

ComeToTX said:

PJ_Soul said:

I think the cause they are standing up for in the way they see fit far outweighs any inconvenience felt by fans. And i doubt it was a rash decision.

I'm sure it wasn't. That's why people are pissed. There was no reason to wait so long.

And since they did I'm boarding a plane to Raleigh right now.
    I would bet money that there was indeed a reason to wait so long.
    Have a good flight!
    I am sure you would bet money since money isn't important apparently.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited April 2016

choop said:

99.9% of the fan base have no idea what it would be like to be transgendered and needing to use a public bathroom. The overwhelming amount of Pearl Jam fans are white men, who don't know what it's like to be discriminated against.

This is true. But I gotta admit to being kinda confused on this whole issue. You note how awkward it must be to be transgendered and have to use a public restroom. I agree it must be. But wasn't the intent of this law to designate which bathroom to use? So that transgendered people don't have to wonder which one they should use or which one might offend people.Again, I'm of the understanding that this was the lawmakers intent. I don't think there was any malice behind it. But again, I'm not complete sure about all aspects of the issue.
    I really like that you looked at this from a different angle, one I hadn't even considered. Kudos to you. Very interesting opinion at the least
    Well I just feel that no lawmaker, even the dumbest among them, is going to discriminate just for the sake of discriminating. Especially in today's PC culture. So I feel the lawmakers were probably acting in good faith...but just without much sensitivity or discretion
    LAw makers acting in good Faith!?!?!?!?!?!? Really. Forget about understanding how discriminating the law is and the ignorance that drove it but.......
    Post edited by callen on
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    I'm from Belgium. Living in Raleigh,NC now. This is the 3rd time that I had tickets for a cancelled show. Back in '92 I was going to Rock Werchter where they cancelled due to exhaustion. In 2000 they cancelled Rock Werchter due to people getting killed at their Roskilde show, which, of course I totally understand. Now I've been living in Raleigh for over a year now, and this stupid HB2 makes them cancel again.... I just want to see my favorite band play. I applaud them for standing up for what is right, but please, if you want to stand up for equal rights, there are 29 states in the US that have similar laws. A lot of countries have even worse human rights! and that hasn't always stopped you from playing there. I am part of the LGBT community and again, thank you for speaking out. Unfortunately, governor McCrory and his buddies don't care. I read a lot of messages from people who've lost a lot of money due to the late cancellation. Personally I have shed a tear or two but am willing to swallow that for the greater good. All I ask for you to be consistent, and right now, I feel like you are not...
  • Options
    bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    I'm surprised they choose boycot and cancellation, instead of playing there and speaking their mind. Boycot has proven to be a blunt tool when it comes to making a change.
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
  • Options
    JF657419JF657419 Posts: 12
    PJ_Soul said:

I have a feeling the vast majority of people wagging their fingers at those who are pissed off would be singing a much different tune if they lost out on $500+ of their hard earned money because PJ decided to make a last minute political statement.

I have a feeling that most people are more self-aware than that.
    I have a feeling you will defend anything this band does.

Self-aware? Man, people really love the environment, snapping up those Priuses. Wait, gas is much cheaper now, let's look at the F-150 instead i.e. money is important to everyone; some are just in denial.

• Options
    jfayiii said:

PJ_Soul said:

I have a feeling the vast majority of people wagging their fingers at those who are pissed off would be singing a much different tune if they lost out on $500+ of their hard earned money because PJ decided to make a last minute political statement.

I have a feeling that most people are more self-aware than that.
    I have a feeling you will defend anything this band does.

Self-aware? Man, people really love the environment, snapping up those Priuses. Wait, gas is much cheaper now, let's look at the F-150 instead i.e. money is important to everyone; some are just in denial.

My eyes read F5.
    SALTS
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

ComeToTX said:

PJ_Soul said:

I think the cause they are standing up for in the way they see fit far outweighs any inconvenience felt by fans. And i doubt it was a rash decision.

I'm sure it wasn't. That's why people are pissed. There was no reason to wait so long.

Have a good flight!
    You might win that bet.

In the other thread... it was expressed that, contractually speaking, cancelling prior to 48 hours would have been expensive for the band- within 48 hours offers the band an opportunity to cancel without forfeiting extra cash (the reason was given and I don't care to try and offer it- it seemed reasonable).

I'm waiting to hear if this is true or not. If this is the reason Bruce and PJ waited so bloody long to cancel... then that would be the shits: serious inconsideration for the fan base.

I hope it's not true. Seriously.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    bgirl59bgirl59 Tucson AZ Posts: 888

bgirl59 said:

bgirl59 said:

Dear Tenclub members, here's a friendly reminder, don't take Pearl Jam for granted, when you do, shit happens

Who exactly was "taking Pearl Jam for granted"? The Tenclub members, the vast majority of whom did not vote for this law or these politicians?

I think the band is taking its fans for granted more so than those fans are taking the band for granted.
    If you purchased a nonrefundable airline ticket that you can't use ever, to fly there for a Pearl Jam show and nothing else, you took something for granted.
    Not really. Not at all actually. You entered into an agreement.

Taking PJ for granted would be electing to not see PJ because you think you can see them some other time.
    Peace, when I enter my credit card info on Pearl Jam's website, I do it to support them, to help them keep making the music that has gotten me through some of the worst times in my life, and has given me joy for so many years, and I know 3 months from then, I may not see the show for one reason or another, I could be broke, they could cancel, I just try not to anything for granted. Please let's agree to disagree, thanks.
    PEARL JAM in 2024! Dark Matter and MORE ! THANK YOU!!   
    Peace Love & Pearl Jam forever!!
  • Options
    bgirl59 said:

bgirl59 said:

bgirl59 said:

Dear Tenclub members, here's a friendly reminder, don't take Pearl Jam for granted, when you do, shit happens

Who exactly was "taking Pearl Jam for granted"? The Tenclub members, the vast majority of whom did not vote for this law or these politicians?

I think the band is taking its fans for granted more so than those fans are taking the band for granted.
    If you purchased a nonrefundable airline ticket that you can't use ever, to fly there for a Pearl Jam show and nothing else, you took something for granted.
    Not really. Not at all actually. You entered into an agreement.

Taking PJ for granted would be electing to not see PJ because you think you can see them some other time.
    Peace, when I enter my credit card info on Pearl Jam's website, I do it to support them, to help them keep making the music that has gotten me through some of the worst times in my life, and has given me joy for so many years, and I know 3 months from then, I may not see the show for one reason or another, I could be broke, they could cancel, I just try not to anything for granted. Please let's agree to disagree, thanks.
    We can do that.

Have a good day!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    JF657419JF657419 Posts: 12
    PJ_Soul said:

ComeToTX said:

PJ_Soul said:

Have a good flight!
    So now you're mocking some fans' loss? Nice.
  • Options
    Red Mosquito75Red Mosquito75 Moline IL Posts: 1,034
    Once Bruce cancelled and other artists cancelled it was foregone conclusion that PJ would cancel. Timing was not goods and I would be a little upset if I had tickets but I wouldn't have expected anything else from this band. Sucks for some fans but good for them.
    This is Not For You
  • Options
    athenssmileathenssmile Posts: 147
    Forgive my ignorance here, but isn't there a federal anti-discrimination law that states one can't discriminate based on race, religion, gender, or sexual orientation? So when it comes down to it, this law has no way of surviving because the federal law will supersede it? Or it will be voted out in 6 weeks because legally this law has no leg to stand on? And it will die whether or not PJ played the concert?

well, fuckers, he still stands
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    ^^^ yup.

Feds circuit court just ruled against a Virginia school board trying to do this in a case yesterday
  • Options
    athenssmileathenssmile Posts: 147
    MayDay10 said:

^^^ yup.

Feds circuit court just ruled against a Virginia school board trying to do this in a case yesterday

Thank you. Thought I was losing my mind. (Probably still am, but at least I know I wasn't dreaming that there is a federal law to protect citizens already on the books.)
    well, fuckers, he still stands
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,496
    MayDay10 said:

^^^ yup.

That's the real kicker here..... This law was doomed from the get-go.

PJ didn't have to cancel to force action, the wheels were already in motion. That's why some people think this is a little bit of grandstanding / posturing on behalf of the band.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,540

MayDay10 said:

^^^ yup.

That's the real kicker here..... This law was doomed from the get-go.

PJ didn't have to cancel to force action, the wheels were already in motion. That's why some people think this is a little bit of grandstanding / posturing on behalf of the band.
    Right, there is more than just boycotting to get rid of a stupid law.
  • Options
    Having GA tickets, I am still pretty pissed about it being cancelled. Even more so, YES – IT'S ALREADY IN MOTION TO BE REPEALED. What justice did they really do by cancelling?

And if they really wanted to do the right thing, they would have come, put on a show, spoke about it, donated money to helping fight, had stands all through the arena and outside of it for people to donate and sign up to volunteer and raise awareness.

I appreciate the fact that they want to come back once this is all over, but guys, you missed an opportunity here.
  • Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    #stunningandbrave
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    bluegrace said:

I'm surprised they choose boycot and cancellation, instead of playing there and speaking their mind. Boycot has proven to be a blunt tool when it comes to making a change.

someone see's the forest
  • Options
    jeffwalshjeffwalsh Posts: 169

Having GA tickets, I am still pretty pissed about it being cancelled. Even more so, YES – IT'S ALREADY IN MOTION TO BE REPEALED. What justice did they really do by cancelling?

Many other states are considering adding these laws yet. So when there is pushback in Georgia and business pulling out of areas makes legislators nervous, it stops a lot of those bills from happening. This is bigger than just NC.
  • Options
    JP LosmanJP Losman Raleigh Posts: 149
    If they truly believe in this cause, they will cancel MSG and Philly shows. There is not much of an economic hit by cancelling one PJ show in Raleigh, but the NBA all star game is BIG business. MSG and Philly both also are partners with the NBA, so by cancelling those shows, they are putting pressure on the NBA to go through with moving the All star game instead of just threats. If PJ truly is committed to making a difference and wants a good conscience, then they should do that.

But they won't. Because they aren't really doing this for the cause but for their image. And its not a debate or an opinion that they are hypocrites. Its a fact. Because you play in cities and states and countries with bad laws too but don't boycott, it makes you a hypocrite. Because you aren't going full out and doing everything within your power to overturn HB2 which could be helped by things like cancelling MSG and Philly, you are a hypocrite.

Now you can say its not a big deal and they can choose their battles and I agree with that. Doesn't change the fact they are hypocrites.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,496
    JP Losman said:

If they truly believe in this cause, they will cancel MSG and Philly shows. There is not much of an economic hit by cancelling one PJ show in Raleigh, but the NBA all star game is BIG business. MSG and Philly both also are partners with the NBA, so by cancelling those shows, they are putting pressure on the NBA to go through with moving the All star game instead of just threats. If PJ truly is committed to making a difference and wants a good conscience, then they should do that.

But they won't. Because they aren't really doing this for the cause but for their image. And its not a debate or an opinion that they are hypocrites. Its a fact. Because you play in cities and states and countries with bad laws too but don't boycott, it makes you a hypocrite. Because you aren't going full out and doing everything within your power to overturn HB2 which could be helped by things like cancelling MSG and Philly, you are a hypocrite.

Now you can say its not a big deal and they can choose their battles and I agree with that. Doesn't change the fact they are hypocrites.

Good call, they should cancel the whole tour. Show America you're serious.

It's only a few concerts.

It's only money.