Options

Hampton Horrible

Comments

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,786

You guys, it's ok for a show to be subpar. Last night just wasn't good for many of us.

I've seen Pearl Jam 17 times and this was probably the worst (though Camden '06 and the extended "Last Kiss" with the convicts was pretty bad).

Here are some reasons why it was a weak show:
    1.) Ed was sloppy. He fucked up "Sleeping By Myself" a LOT. They restarted it twice because he fucked up AND forgot the lyrics. I'm positive he hit some wrong chords on Habit and at least one other song. I've watched all 5 prior shows this tour on Periscope and this was the sloppiest.

2.) The set list wasn't good. I'm not saying a greatest hits show is bad, but the pacing didn't work. "Long Road" is an awesome song, but it felt weird midset. Following it with "Wishlist" killed all momentum. Then "Sirens" followed and really brought the show to a halt.

3.) Some songs just don't work live. "Habit" is one of my favorites on album. Live, it sucks (the same applies to my favorite song "Evacation" which of course wasn't played). "Sleeping By Myself" isn't good live either. Add that to the weak set list pacing and you've got a dead crowd. Go back and watch Ed desperately trying to get the crowd going during "Sad" and "Lightning Bolt." It was the opposite of Charlottesville '13.

4.) The Raleigh timing upset a lot of people. I saw a few near fights break out over fans arguing about the cancellation. It put a damper on the mood. People booed when Ed JOKED about it. It was just a mess of a situation.

To be clear, there were some cool moments and even a bad Pearl Jam show is better than most concerts! The audible to "In My Tree" revived the show, and the band really gave it their all in the 2nd encore. I don't mean to upset anyone who had a fun time in my hometown last night; I'm just expressing how many of us felt.

I hear ya but for me the fuck up on SBM was hilarious and the way he handled it was pure class. I think that moment lightened up the mood and brought some humor to the situation. To each his own. When you rotate over 100 songs, mistakes will happen.
  • Options
    TamaDrummer91TamaDrummer91 VA Posts: 1,289

Just purely looking at the set list it seems like it was an awesome show and night

I was there and it was. Some people on here really are making little to no logical sense in arguing their opinions. Judging a show by what's on paper and not being there is just silly. I was in the top of the arena and it sounded awesome. I could literally separate each instrument in the mix. Ed's voice was loud and clear, plus his vocals were amazing. That setlist was wonderful to me. A perfect mix of hits and several rarities/semi rarities. It flowed marvelously too. The band really looked like they were enjoying themselves and the crowd. The crowd was decent, not awesome, but not bad from my pov. There was a lot energy in the arena, especially from Ed. Plus, I'm sorry, this was not a sloppy show (aside from the charming moment of joking around with SBM). Shows that many consider top notch like Cville 13 or Leeds 14 are more sloppy.

Point I'm making, many of us are guilty of it, but we are often overthinking a lot of what we receive at almost guaranteed wonderful concerts. Hampton 16 sure was that, it was a wonderful rocknroll show with a band in good spirits, nice setlist, quite lengthy performance, and just all around great imo.
    2008: Bonnaroo
    2010: Bristow
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Charlottesville, Charlotte
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Greenville, Hampton, Raleigh (cancelled), Columbia, Lexington

For your bootleg review needs or recommendations- http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,103
    edited April 2016
    mrussel1 said:

EarlWelsh said:

I think the problem here is....what the fuck is a Hampton, Virginia?

It's part of Hampton Roads VA... You know the metro area that has 1.7MM people compared to 258k in Buffalo.
    Oh, so people live there. Cool. You forgot to mention it's 10x the size of Buffalo.
    Post edited by EarlWelsh on
  • Options
    HopperHopper Posts: 203
    Ed fucking up lyrics is always a highlight...not a low light, particularly when he stops to fix it...it was great haha. He has hundreds of song lyrics in his head to decipher, play guitar and do it in front of thousands of people...haha...cut him some slack...people would bitch if they played the same sets night after night, and now awesome sets are boring...WOW. I thought last night's set list was GREAT...

I thought the crowd was pretty hot most of the night...there are always going to be the duds who you wonder why they are there, but it was pretty loud in there...
    "To be the man, you gotta beat the man! WOOOOOOOOO!!"
  • Options
    brookelilybrookelily Bethel Park, PA Posts: 235
    I don't know, I thought Sleeping By Myself was sublime at Cincy 2014
    8/16/92
    9/24/96, 9/28/96
    8/25/98, 9/18/98
    9/5/00
    4/26/03
    6/23/06
    10/28/09
    10/11/13, 10/12/13
    10/1/14
    9/2/18, 9/4/18
    9/18/21
  • Options
    Hawk123Hawk123 Posts: 2,002
    3 hours and 15 minutes, solid setlist, that sounds horrible...
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    JM44800 said:

js87130 said:

I've never been more disappointed in a show in 20yrs.

troll gonna keep on trollin'.
    Troll gonna keep on keepin on
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,786

Just purely looking at the set list it seems like it was an awesome show and night

I was there and it was. Some people on here really are making little to no logical sense in arguing their opinions. Judging a show by what's on paper and not being there is just silly. I was in the top of the arena and it sounded awesome. I could literally separate each instrument in the mix. Ed's voice was loud and clear, plus his vocals were amazing. That setlist was wonderful to me. A perfect mix of hits and several rarities/semi rarities. It flowed marvelously too. The band really looked like they were enjoying themselves and the crowd. The crowd was decent, not awesome, but not bad from my pov. There was a lot energy in the arena, especially from Ed. Plus, I'm sorry, this was not a sloppy show (aside from the charming moment of joking around with SBM). Shows that many consider top notch like Cville 13 or Leeds 14 are more sloppy.

Point I'm making, many of us are guilty of it, but we are often overthinking a lot of what we receive at almost guaranteed wonderful concerts. Hampton 16 sure was that, it was a wonderful rocknroll show with a band in good spirits, nice setlist, quite lengthy performance, and just all around great imo.
    This was my experience as well. I thought it was awesome. So many highlights.
  • Options
    Yoeddy1Yoeddy1 Boise, Idaho Posts: 103
    The naysayers are on crack! This was a fantastic setlist full of some of their best songs. I, personally don't like the shows that get watered down with a lot of covers and obscure titles that bring the energy level down. I was at Denver 2014, which was an unbelievable show, but I remember "Of the Earth" and "Setting Forth" and some of the less popular "Lightning Bolt" tracks took the crowd down a notch. I know it's subjective. The hits and B-Sides tracks always create fire.

Jason
    Restless soul...enjoy your youth!
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,166
    Not the worst setlist I've seen. Quite a few songs in the encore I'd like to hear. I imagine the cancellation impact both the bands/fans. I would guess moral and moods weren't at an all time high at the show. It would definitely impact the outcome.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    Zod said:

Not the worst setlist I've seen. Quite a few songs in the encore I'd like to hear. I imagine the cancellation impact both the bands/fans. I would guess moral and moods weren't at an all time high at the show. It would definitely impact the outcome.

First, we should have all been mentally prepared for this. I was. So when it came out, I figured we had to light it up tonight to make up. It didn't bring me down for the show. I thought it was great. Loved the arena. I was 12 heads back in the center and didn't have any sound issues. Lines were short, concourse was big,. I have zero complaints.
  • Options
    Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    on the bright side, I think Columbia will be an awesome show maybe one of the best of the tour
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,756
    I have been following this board since 2013 which I know is not that long but there is a something that really annoys me with these fanview threads. Why does it bother people so much that someone didn't like a show that much? Did you love it? Great! That is what we all want when we go to a show. Saying that though you are not going to convince the disappointed people that it was better then they thought it was and they are not going to convince you that it was an average/shit show.(Is there even such a think with this band?) Also if you weren't at the show why are you arguing with people if it was bad or not? You can only read so much into a setlist and even using Periscope only gives us part of the picture.

Pearl Jam has a huge catalogue that allows for people to love this band for so many different reasons. Whats good for you may not be good for me and vice versa. If someone has been to 20 shows and thought one was average/bad to that sucks for them and only them. Maybe they are too picky/hard to impress or the show was just ok. Who cares you loved the show and their opinion should have zero influence on any of your fun. Enjoy the next show and stop worrying what everyone else thinks to validate your opinion!
  • Options
    63schoefflin63schoefflin Posts: 2,581
    People here just want to justify to themselves that the show they were at was one of the best, lol. I've been to many shows that I expected to great and I have no problem saying it was forgettable if it really was. The great ones stand the test of time, the others just kind of fall by the wayside.
    '08- Camden 1-2   '09- Chicago 2; Spectrum 1-4
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
    '14- Denver   '16- Philly 1-2; MSG 2
    '17- Pilgrimage Music Fest (Eddie)
    '18- Fenway
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108

it's funny what a pearl jam fan considers an average set compared to all other bands' fans on the planet. my second favourite band plays barely a 90 minute set, and plays nearly the same set from show to show. so yeah, I'd say most of PJ's sets are above average to me. LOL

It's all about where you set the bar.

The show was solid with some great moments for sure. The crowd was pretty terrible with some moments of greatness as well!!

Overall it was a good set. For those that went to Greenville I will say there were too many repeats. It was long and the bad gave a lot of energy though....so a fucking fantastic concert compared to many, but just a good Pearl jam show.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    sheri zonasheri zona Makai Side Posts: 356
    To me, PJ on their worst day is still one of the best shows on the planet. Could always be worse..I sat through a Justin Bieber show my 13 year old step-daughter wanted to see a few weeks ago. I am still waking up with cold sweats....
    in an underwater nation...near chinamans hat
  • Options
    moses562moses562 Posts: 1,382
    I went to Greenville, met Mike, and I still drooled a little at this setlist.
    "A man has the right to be as big as he feels it in him to be." Ken Kesey
  • Options

People here just want to justify to themselves that the show they were at was one of the best, lol. I've been to many shows that I expected to great and I have no problem saying it was forgettable if it really was. The great ones stand the test of time, the others just kind of fall by the wayside.

Your assumption here is that the show actually wasn't good, but the people who loved it only want to justify it; rather than the people who didn't like it were 'wrong', or more likely, it's a difference of opinion.
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,756
    mrussel1 said:

Your assumption here is that the show actually wasn't good, but the people who loved it only want to justify it; rather than the people who didn't like it were 'wrong', or more likely, it's a difference of opinion.
    I do not think he is talking about this show in particular. He is right people come here to justify there views and if someone posts something that isn't aligned with theirs then there is drama.
  • Options
    js87130 said:

I've never been more disappointed in a show in 20yrs.

Then stay home next time. Did you go to see Yanni by accident?

1992-8-18 Lollapalooza, Raleigh NC
    2012-11-24 Jacksonville FL, Eddie solo tour
    2012-11-25 Jacksonville FL, Eddie solo tour
    2013-10-27 Baltimore MD
    2013-10-29 Charlottesville VA
    2013-10-30 Charlotte NC
    2013=making up for lost time

[/img]
  • Options
    Yoeddy1Yoeddy1 Boise, Idaho Posts: 103
    Uh Habit...I would have been out of my mind! I can't believe how dead this floor is. Bums me out. Just turn the sound down...it's pretty bad.

http://youtu.be/SbRF-ZW6nU8

Jason
    Restless soul...enjoy your youth!
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    mrussel1 said:

Yeah the reality is, if you were there, whatever you thought of the show.... You are correct!
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,359
    You just can't please some people. Looks like a spectacular set.
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,735
    PJNB said:

I have been following this board since 2013 which I know is not that long but there is a something that really annoys me with these fanview threads. Why does it bother people so much that someone didn't like a show that much? Did you love it? Great! That is what we all want when we go to a show. Saying that though you are not going to convince the disappointed people that it was better then they thought it was and they are not going to convince you that it was an average/shit show.(Is there even such a think with this band?) Also if you weren't at the show why are you arguing with people if it was bad or not? You can only read so much into a setlist and even using Periscope only gives us part of the picture.

Pearl Jam has a huge catalogue that allows for people to love this band for so many different reasons. Whats good for you may not be good for me and vice versa. If someone has been to 20 shows and thought one was average/bad to that sucks for them and only them. Maybe they are too picky/hard to impress or the show was just ok. Who cares you loved the show and their opinion should have zero influence on any of your fun. Enjoy the next show and stop worrying what everyone else thinks to validate your opinion!

It's not that someone didn't love it. It's that someone was so self absorbed that posting this opinion in the already existing fanview/setlist threads wasn't enough for them. They had to come on the board and town crier it out. Especially on a day when a lot of people learned they don't get even one show. Douchey behaviour. Have some respect for your fellow fans even if you didn't enjoy the show. That's my problem with it, I was just trying to say it nicer earlier.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    Bdog10Bdog10 Boca Posts: 471
    I think we're all still chasing 7-8-03
    "I want to go...but I don't want to go alone...With you I could never feel alone..."

Randall's Island 96 and haven't stopped since...
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

I guess the only complaint I would have about last night is that you could tell a lot of people had Raleigh on their mind, as the shock factor was still there by the time the show started

Great setlist though

I tried watching on periscope... but was just not in the mood and shut it off pretty quickly... which is odd and not a feeling I would have expected.

With that said.... looking at the set list, it isnt/wasnt my kind of show. Lots of valleys and few peaks IMO. Some pretty long stretches that would have been too much of a slowdown. Encores had nothing really special.
    Thats why people are just not that into the shows this tour. Ed used to make good setlists that build to climax, with a lot of sing alongs. He doesn't set the mood anymore and breaks the mood with songs 90% of the people don't wanna hear. Long Road needs to be played first in a set...it sets the mood just like hard to imagine, Wash, and of course release!
  • Options
    SM192077SM192077 Niagara Posts: 3
    Worst show I have seen since 1994 !!!
  • Options
    PJ1973PJ1973 Winston-Salem, NC Posts: 402
    I always like the slow opener too. But I thought coming out hard with Why Go, MYM and Corduroy worked. I felt the tension in the GA starting outside after the cancellation. Hitting the ground full steam felt like the 'release' that was needed.
  • Options
    chitownp76chitownp76 Posts: 1,438
    Think of how many people cannot see any shows this year, and people complain about this one? Set looked awesome to me. I would take it any day! Sure the crowd was off, but you are at a PJ show that youve been waiting for for how long?? My guess is the people complaining have gone to the FL shows or are going to multiple shows.
    2014: Moline, IL
    2015: EV Solo (Metro Chicago)
    2016: Philadelphia PA 1, Philadelphia PA 2, New York City NY- MSG 1, EV Solo (Metro Chicago), Boston MA Fenway 1, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2017: EV Ohana Fest (Dana Point, CA), EV/Pete Townshend Quadrophenia Rosemont, IL
    2018: Seattle WA 1, Seattle WA 2, Missoula MT, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2, Boston MA Fenway 1, Boston MA Fenway 2
    2019: EV Tempe, AZ
    2020: PPD
    2022: EV & Earthlings Chicago 1 & 2, Phoenix AZ, Camden NJ, Nashville TN, St. Louis MO
    2023: EV Tempe, AZ, St Paul, MN 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2024: Noblesville, IN, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
  • Options

Think of how many people cannot see any shows this year, and people complain about this one? Set looked awesome to me. I would take it any day! Sure the crowd was off, but you are at a PJ show that youve been waiting for for how long?? My guess is the people complaining have gone to the FL shows or are going to multiple shows.

I was at the south Florida shows, Greenville and Hampton. I didn't think the crowd was off. It was loud. Many songs I could not hear Ed. It's all about your immediate section I think. I had a lame section in Greenville so I thought the crowd was meh. Others seem to think it was great.