Edit: Mayor Rob Ford admits to smoking crack

Comments

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847
    dignin said:

I'm not sure whom this Ford person is but here in the US we had a mayor Barry get CAUGHT on film for smoking crack and the people STILL re elected him...

He was kinda like the Trump of the north....with serious addiction issues. And Rob Ford was also caught smoking crack on film...twice.
    Marion Barry was the Trump of the north?
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303

dignin said:

I'm not sure whom this Ford person is but here in the US we had a mayor Barry get CAUGHT on film for smoking crack and the people STILL re elected him...

He was kinda like the Trump of the north....with serious addiction issues. And Rob Ford was also caught smoking crack on film...twice.
    Marion Barry was the Trump of the north?
    I thought it was pretty clear we are talking about Ford.
  • BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

^^ Lol!
    And I've done coke too. So?
    When you are talking about a politician who is in office and has a crack problem, I'd say that only an idiot wouldn't care about that.
    But at any rate, the drug use isn't the only thing I've been talking about and isn't even my main focus. But nevertheless... a crack addict. In office. Come on. Raise your standards just a bit. We should expect more of the people who are running the show.

Then you'll be disappointed more often than not when it comes to politicians. How many politicians are slamming back booze on a nightly basis. Amazing how our society decides what substance is worse than others. And when it comes to electing politicians our society has no standards...here in Canada federally and provincially we elect either the liberals or conservative more times than not...yeah they've done such terrific job.
    Yes indeed I am disappointed more often than not when it comes to politicians. That is an understatement. I feel like a politician who is actually simply a decent human being an absolute phenomenon. And that means what? That because politicians are generally scum, I should be cool with politicians being corrupt, lying crack addict scum? Or, if it makes you feel better to mention it foe the sake of equality, i should be cool with corrupt, lying, alcoholic scum, as the case may be?
    I'm not saying we have to settle, but would it have hurt to elect the NDP federally in the last general election.
    Oh, haha, I did not realize that that was what you were getting at.
    Yes, well, I have always been an NDPer, but I did vote liberal in the last election. I felt like shit was getting crazy with Harper, and it was a strategic vote for me, and many others. And I actually think it was and is the best thing for Canada right now. Mulcair simply didn't have what Canada needed at this time. The country needed a PM like Trudeau at this particular point IMO. Badly. I feel like the national psyche was hitting a weird low. If the wonderful Jack Layton had lived, he is who we would have needed... or actually, he likely would have won in the previous election and we wouldn't have had to be worrying about it anyhow. I wish.
    All in all, I think Trudeau is doing a good job. There are obviously concerns that people have about the budget, fairly so, but one must admit that, even if they don't like the spending plan, the Libs are at least being reasonably as open and straightforward as they can about it. Meanwhile, some movement and much more focused discussion is happening on a more social level (refugees, gender equality, Aboriginal issues, Canada/US relations, euthanasia, legalization of marijuana, government transparency, climate change, etc etc, as well as that optimistic vibe that everyone is paying attention to), which, after a decade of Harper, is like a breath of fresh air.
    Trudeau's spending addiction will hurt more then Ford's crack addiction but it appears you'll be getting too high off of it to notice.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited March 2016
    I am not sure what that is supposed to mean (the me getting too high to notice part). I think i'll write it off as a dumb, meaningless comment. That does, however, remind me of the huge amount of tax revenue that legalized weed will bring. What a great idea!

I do understand that you are a fiscal conservative. I am not.
    I wonder if you would have been one when the public works plan during the depression was conceived during the depression in the US?
    I think that investing in infrastructure and creating more economic diversity is a legitimate concept. I don't know if it will end up working in the long run, nor if it will be something to blame any future instability on. We'll see. But it seems like a better idea than putting all our eggs in one basket and creating an over-reliance on our oil industry.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:

I am not sure what that is supposed to mean (the me getting too high to notice part). I think i'll write it off as a dumb, meaningless comment. That does, however, remind me of the huge amount of tax revenue that legalized weed will bring. What a great idea!

I wonder if you would have been one when the public works plan during the depression was conceived during the depression in the US?
    I think that investing in infrastructure and creating more economic diversity is a legitimate concept. I don't know if it will end up working in the long run, nor if it will be something to blame any future instability on. We'll see. But it seems like a better idea than putting all our eggs in one basket and creating an over-reliance on our oil industry.

Pretty straight forward...getting high off the spending. It is a pretty classic example of throwing around money on issues because it makes us feel good...makes us feel like good citizens...like we're doing something right and just. The problem is throwing money around solves nothing, the high is fleeting, the problems continue, so we need to spend more to keep feeling good about ourselves. Addicted to spending.
    BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Pretty straight forward...getting high off the spending. It is a pretty classic example of throwing around money on issues because it makes us feel good...makes us feel like good citizens...like we're doing something right and just. The problem is throwing money around solves nothing, the high is fleeting, the problems continue, so we need to spend more to keep feeling good about ourselves. Addicted to spending.
    I already knew what you meant (and disagree). I was only talking about not understanding the stupid cheap shot you took.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Went to the Leaf game last night. There was a nice tribute to Rob Ford followed by a warm ovation from the crowd. All around me people were only speaking positively about him. Those who don't live in Toronto will never comprehend how well liked the Mayor was.
    BS44325 said:

Went to the Leaf game last night. There was a nice tribute to Rob Ford followed by a warm ovation from the crowd. All around me people were only speaking positively about him. Those who don't live in Toronto will never comprehend how well liked the Mayor was.

All that tells me is that, as usual, people are huge hypocrites in the face of death.
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Remember they are leaf fans after all...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • lukin2006 said:

Beaten down, tired, and suckers for punishment.

And not very good looking as well.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    lukin2006 said:

Haha
  • dignin said:

lukin2006 said:

Haha
    Ok, that's just mean. He's dead and can't defend.

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

dignin said:

lukin2006 said:

Haha
    Ok, that's just mean. He's dead and can't defend.

Hahahahhaha isn't that rich! How many RIP threads have you trolled with your special brand of shitting on the dead? At least 2 that I can remember.
    Your antics here are so juvenile, it is hard to believe you have kids of your own.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    lukin2006 said:

the future looks bright dude ...
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    polaris_x said:

lukin2006 said:

the future looks bright dude ...
    I kid, nowhere but up to go now.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

polaris_x said:

Rest in peace, Rob, he fought his cancer bravely, but I feel we also need to acknowledge that, by all reports he did overcome his addiction issues, which is an accomplishment in itself. Granted, it took time for him to own up to them and face his addictions (which is typical of most addicts), but since he checked himself into rehab, there've been zero stories about any sort of relapse.

I always supported his policies, but admit that his "antics" became less and less defensible over time. I was proud of him, though, that when he finally faced his demons he overcame them, only to be given the sucker punch of the cancer diagnosis.

Again, all sympathy to his family and friends, as well as Ford Nation.

i don't think there is anything to prove he overcame any addictions ... this is a guy who entered a very public weight loss challenge with his brother and was busted for going to kfc in the middle of the night ... his demons were very strong ...

this is not meant to kick him down only that he doesn't really deserve anymore praise for stuff he didn't really do ...
    I'm curious as to your sources, beyond his pre-rehab behaviour.

I'm sorry, but living in Toronto, I can't help but believe that if he'd returned to his drug-using ways there would have been reports or (more likely) some more hidden camera video surface of that behaviour.

I'm not sure that those who don't live in this city realize the local media treatment of our former mayor, but for me it was at times disgusting (especially the "warrior princess episode). Given that history, I have to believe that, as I said, if he fallen off the wagon we would've been sure to know.

As someone trying to quit cigarettes, I know well how strong addictions can be, but also know they can be beaten.

I also think part of my problem here is people commenting in this thread, calling someone a fuckhead on the very day that person died, without a hint of compassion for the man.
    This is the very deep hatred that liberals always carry and show whenever they want. They refuse to believe that their inner core is vile hate against someone who does not act like them. Knock a liberal when they're dead and watch out! Racist!
    wow, nice generalizing and completely baseless statement.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    edited April 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

All that tells me is that, as usual, people are huge hypocrites in the face of death.
    exactly. a winnipeg writer said it best:

Bury Rob Ford, but don't praise him:

https://t.co/fu5GK7Oibx
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

No thank you Winnipeg writer. I have spent many a day in your downtown core...maybe you should get a handle on your own civic governance before you criticize ours.
    BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

No thank you Winnipeg writer. I have spent many a day in your downtown core...maybe you should get a handle on your own civic governance before you criticize ours.
    That makes no sense. A politician didn't write the article.
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

What's the problem with praising the man? As long as his faults are also acknowledged, what's the issue? It's the absolutes on both sides that make people into caricatures, as I see it.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
    PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

It makes perfect sense. This writer is saying that we can't praise a mayor who aside from his major personal problems actually ran the city quite well. That's why people here love him. I get that he is trying to boost his local readership by slagging our ex-mayor...after all the greatest Winnipeg past-time is slagging on Toronto right up until one moves here...but he really should look inward before acting all high and mighty.
    BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

It makes perfect sense. This writer is saying that we can't praise a mayor who aside from his major personal problems actually ran the city quite well. That's why people here love him. I get that he is trying to boost his local readership by slagging our ex-mayor...after all the greatest Winnipeg past-time is slagging on Toronto right up until one moves here...but he really should look inward before acting all high and mighty.
    A very, very small minority of people in TO loved him. "Ford Nation". God, so pathetic. Most Torontonians hated his guts for the same reason we're all slagging him, and found him to be a major embarrassment to the city, which he was.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

i think i've been reasonably objective since his death ... i defended him when someone called him corrupt ... but at the same time ... he did not run the city well ... council took all power from him and he became a side show doing late night talk shows in the US ... remember, this was a mayor that wouldn't let anyone see his calendar because he was blocking it off to get drunk in parking lots ...

i get that his loyal followers think he was great ... but let's not rewrite history here ... he was a horrible mayor who was in way over his head ...
  • BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

I think you've got an inflated sense of your hometown. It's hardly reputed as impressive for a number of reasons. Nobody is envious.

The fact that a large chunk of Toronto residents have no values and endorsed this guy says something about the people there too.

Your crack smoking, gangster affiliated mayor was a known drug addict who very likely had something to do with the murder of someone set to expose him. At a very minimum... he was a clown- a buffoon that was deservedly the subject of multiple jokes.

You couldn't have found anyone even slightly better to be the mayor of your city? Pickings were that slim?

Regardless... he is worthy of criticism.
    PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

A very, very small minority of people in TO loved him. "Ford Nation". God, so pathetic. Most Torontonians hated his guts for the same reason we're all slagging him, and found him to be a major embarrassment to the city, which he was.
    Spoken by the person from Vancouver

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

I think you've got an inflated sense of your hometown. It's hardly reputed as impressive for a number of reasons. Nobody is envious.

The fact that a large chunk of Toronto residents have no values and endorsed this guy says something about the people there too.

Your crack smoking, gangster affiliated mayor was a known drug addict who very likely had something to do with the murder of someone set to expose him. At a very minimum... he was a clown- a buffoon that was deservedly the subject of multiple jokes.

You couldn't have found anyone even slightly better to be the mayor of your city? Pickings were that slim?

I've got an appropriately inflated sense of my hometown. The growth here over the last ten years is nothing short of astounding. It is now the third largest city in North America and in terms of how it is run, quality of living, employment opportunities, the arts etc. I would put it at or above any other North American and/or world city of similar size. There are just no if's, and's, or butt's about it...this place is the shit and that's why people are moving here in droves from around the world. Now is this Rob Ford's doing? Of course not. But Ford was one of those Mayor's who didn't believe bloated city budgets was the answer to everything. He held the line on government spending, he privatized services such as garbage collection, and he moved the ball forward on transit. Was he a buffoon all at the same time? Absolutely but buffoonery is just aesthetics. I will take a small government buffoon who recognizes that it is the citizens who make a city great over a smooth talking big government progressive who thinks that he/she knows better then it's people. Big cities don't turn into Chicago/Detroit by accident.
    BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

Spoken by the person from Vancouver
    That also makes no sense. It's not even in context.
    Oh wait, I get it. You're one of "those" people. The ones who live in Toronto and can never resist some dumb pissing contest over what city is better, lol.
    FYI, no one else does that.
    edited April 2016
    BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

I've got an appropriately inflated sense of my hometown. The growth here over the last ten years is nothing short of astounding. It is now the third largest city in North America and in terms of how it is run, quality of living, employment opportunities, the arts etc. I would put it at or above any other North American and/or world city of similar size. There are just no if's, and's, or butt's about it...this place is the shit and that's why people are moving here in droves from around the world. Now is this Rob Ford's doing? Of course not. But Ford was one of those Mayor's who didn't believe bloated city budgets was the answer to everything. He held the line on government spending, he privatized services such as garbage collection, and he moved the ball forward on transit. Was he a buffoon all at the same time? Absolutely but buffoonery is just aesthetics. I will take a small government buffoon who recognizes that it is the citizens who make a city great over a smooth talking big government progressive who thinks that he/she knows better then it's people. Big cities don't turn into Chicago/Detroit by accident.
    And he was addicted to crack, had weird little drug dealers running his errands, just couldn't seem to stop doing drugs on camera, and possibly had a man murdered in order to cover up his own bad behaviour. He was also almost constantly under scrutiny for civil corruption.
    He had absolutely nothing to do with with making Toronto great (which is a matter of opinion - I am personally neutral). On the contrary. He actually harmed the city's reputation, and contributed nothing to all the things you are saying are great about it.
  • BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

I said my bit. You said yours. We can agree to disagree.
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    Just curious, based on some of the comments here it seems Rob Ford's stay in rehab (as opposed to wellness centres, where the Liberals go for substance abuse issues) accomplished nothing, and some seem to think he was smoking crack in his hospital bed (yes, I know, hyperbole).
    So, who actually believes Ford's rehab program was successful, and if not, please provide some rationale for your stance. It might also be helpful for people to indicate where they're posting from, since the reporting on the former mayor was quite skewed, with some unaware of his battle against cancer (yet salacious details of the scandals are well-known).
    As a resident of Toronto, I cannot believe that if there had been a post-rehab relapse that it would have gone unreported. Outside Toronto, it seems Ford's mayoralty was covered as a joke, but the media atmosphere during those days was toxic, as much the media's fault as Ford's.

As a joke in poor taste, I'd say many here would have no problem delivering some incredibly uncomfortable and inappropriate eulogies, which I find comically sad.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022