Options

Women being shamed to vote for Hillary

Comments

• Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    And maybe I missed it but do t recall black sports stars "shaming" blacks Into voting for Obama. So please refresh my memory.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    usamamasan1usamamasan1 Posts: 4,695
    why someone would vote for another based on the lack of a Y chromosome is wild

it's seems to me like some sort of affirmative action. which i am against.
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772

Like paying someone less for the same work if they lack the Y chromosome? Yep, it's insane.

Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    family responsibilities and job choice have a little to do with that too, ya heard?
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    Oh FFS
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    Kat said:

Like paying someone less for the same work if they lack the Y chromosome? Yep, it's insane.

hahahaha :)
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Cal,for the record Dan-O is not a rascist.Neither am I.Not even close.

I just don't fall into the overly PC thing.its stupid.
    You know what,we are all different.I celebrate those differences,Laugh at the stereotype stuff,and am not afraid to make fun of my own heritage and personal flaws.Its all good.But to be afraid to discuss the out in the open differences in culture and life is just stupid.

Inner city black culture is way different then the affluent white subburb life.You know that?Are we not allowed to notice these differences without being rascist ?
  • Options
    callen said:

rr165892 said:

Cal,your letting your white guilt crowd your judgement.Sheesh,did you really read what I said.
    As Gambsy pointed out I was not stating a personal position,I was commenting on the similarities between the shaming women for Hillary and the Black communities pimping Obama in the last 2 elections.
    You validated what Dan-O said by commenting in the negative.It just goes to show you,that even commenting on differences in race,sex and gender in today's overly sensitive PC climate and people think you wear a white hood.crazy shit.

It's turned in to a pattern in your replies on race and your support of racist comments by your buddy. And did he come through to reinforce his position. It's a dark side RR.
    My comments may have a lot to do with my disdain for the rascist BLM movement.Not individuals of color.The divisive nature of that cause and the public distraction it has become.And if your thinking that my responses in the cop threads are rascist,get over it.I don't like criminals of any color.You don't get a pass for acting like a thug asshole just because of your skin color.My opinions are formed from others actions,not their skin tone.
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    To be honest, I found the entire Gloria Steinem interview awkward on several levels, and while I only heard the Madeleine Albright snippet in an NPR piece, I found the "special place in hell" comment over-the-top. I get what she meant, but as a second generation feminist, I've been tired for a long time with a certain group of women trying to define womanhood for everybody else. In my view, one of the biggest contributors to our fractious society today is the identity politics played by all parties, whether you're identifying by race, gender, religion, income, name it. Yes, I do lean left -- far left on some issues, centrist on others -- but I'm sick to death of every single issue being viewed through a "lens." If we continue to approach problems with such narrow views, and insist each and every time that race or gender or income predetermines what we think, say, or do -- we are fucking doomed as a nation.
  • Options
    muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013
    rgambs said:

muskydan said:

rr165892 said:

This is no different than during the last 2 elections when some Black leaders,celebrities and sport stars came out and said "all black people should vote for Obama".Shaming them if not.
    Forget issues and politics.Votes should be based on who represents your interests the best.Hiw bad would it sound if I said I'm only voting for a White Male,because he's white.Stupidity.

Stop it rr, that be Racist!! I got to say watching the Hildabeast in the coming months is going to be very enjoyable on many levels for Republicans. I can't wait till they indict that lying bitch.
    Always keeping it classy lol
    Well there is nothing classy about that C.... To think some of you would even consider her a leader
    callen said:

muskydan said:

rr165892 said:

This is no different than during the last 2 elections when some Black leaders,celebrities and sport stars came out and said "all black people should vote for Obama".Shaming them if not.
    Forget issues and politics.Votes should be based on who represents your interests the best.Hiw bad would it sound if I said I'm only voting for a White Male,because he's white.Stupidity.

Stop it rr, that be Racist!! I got to say watching the Hildabeast in the coming months is going to be very enjoyable on many levels for Republicans. I can't wait till they indict that lying bitch.
    Your post was even more racist than RR's. And your probably proud of that. Sad.
    Not really, perhaps proud knowing that you know I am right deep down. You libbies crack me up.
    You know, white guilt is curable...all you have to do is open your eyes.
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    edited February 2016
    Kat said:

Free said:

I digress getting off topic.

Kat,, how do you feel about Hillary's camp using shame to gain other women voters? Does it not bother you?

At this point, after a lifetime of hoping for gender equality and doing as much as I could for progress in that area, I care more about seeing a woman president before I die. That will be for ALL women. Now finally, there's a woman who is qualified and can stand toe-to-toe with world leaders. Young women didn't have to experience what came before them, the fights and struggles and now some forces try to push women backwards, can you believe? The women working for Hillary, many of whom have been working a lifetime for gender equality, did not intend to personally insult young women. I've heard that young women expect to have a woman president in their lifetime. Maybe it won't happen because of those aforementioned forces. Right now we have a woman running for office who is experienced...and she has my vote. Have a beautiful evening.
    You didn't answer the question.

how do you feel about Hillary's camp using shame to gain other women voters? Does it not bother you?

If you watch the Albright video? Hillary is cheering her on...

From your post, it sounds like you just care that a woman holds that office regardless of policy. If any policy.
    Post edited by Free on
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,717
    Interesting question: "how do you feel about Hillary's camp using shame to gain other women voters? Does it not bother you?"

I don't feel qualified to answer that question directly but I can share an observation. A woman I know very well and am close to, who has been in close regard to the feminist movement since the early 70's, and who is a long-time democrat and progressive told me she wants to vote for Hillary but doesn't feel right about doing so. She would love for us to have a strong woman as president but expresses strong distrust of Clinton. She is uncomfortable with Clinton's strong corporate ties. But I think she will vote for Clinton at least partly out of feeling like a turn coat if she doesn't vote for Clinton. I also think she wishes she could feel right about simply voting the candidate she feels is most qualified and I do believe she believes that to be Bernie Sanders.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    brianlux said:

Interesting question: "how do you feel about Hillary's camp using shame to gain other women voters? Does it not bother you?"

I don't feel qualified to answer that question directly but I can share an observation. A woman I know very well and am close to, who has been in close regard to the feminist movement since the early 70's, and who is a long-time democrat and progressive told me she wants to vote for Hillary but doesn't feel right about doing so. She would love for us to have a strong woman as president but expresses strong distrust of Clinton. She is uncomfortable with Clinton's strong corporate ties. But I think she will vote for Clinton at least partly out of feeling like a turn coat if she doesn't vote for Clinton. I also think she wishes she could feel right about simply voting the candidate she feels is most qualified and I do believe she believes that to be Bernie Sanders.

I think both Steinem and Albright eluded to a generational divide among female voters in this election. I don't disagree with that notion. I think they implied that younger female voters aren't supporting Hillary because they're ignorant of their predecessors struggle. I'm of the opinion that expecting everyone with a vajayjay to support the same candidate based on that struggle is insulting to those who laid the groundwork. Women have made huge sacrifices and forced society to make great strides toward gender equality, and I do not think they did so with the expectation that I'd settle for Hillary when Bernie is clearly the better candidate. Not because he lacks a vajajay, but because he lacks the corporate ties that Hillary has, because he lacks the flip-floppy record she has, and because we need to go further left that Hillary could/would take us.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    Turns out Madeline was not so all bright.

• Options
    ldent42 said:

brianlux said:

I think both Steinem and Albright eluded to a generational divide among female voters in this election. I don't disagree with that notion. I think they implied that younger female voters aren't supporting Hillary because they're ignorant of their predecessors struggle. I'm of the opinion that expecting everyone with a vajayjay to support the same candidate based on that struggle is insulting to those who laid the groundwork. Women have made huge sacrifices and forced society to make great strides toward gender equality, and I do not think they did so with the expectation that I'd settle for Hillary when Bernie is clearly the better candidate. Not because he lacks a vajajay, but because he lacks the corporate ties that Hillary has, because he lacks the flip-floppy record she has, and because we need to go further left that Hillary could/would take us.
    Great post, Ident.

What you're saying is echoed in this from the Times article:

"In numerous remarks on social media over the weekend, female supporters of Mr. Sanders accused both women of undermining feminism.

“Shame on Gloria Steinem and Madeleine Albright for implying that we as women should be voting for a candidate based solely on gender,” Zoe Trimboli, a 23-year-old from Vermont who supports Mr. Sanders and describes herself as a feminist, wrote on Facebook. “I can tell you that shaming me and essentially calling me misinformed and stupid is NOT the way to win my vote.”

What a difficult bind for many women this must be. I would find the choices difficult. I'm not a woman so I'm not sure of this but my hunch is that if I were a female version of me (that's an interesting thought) I would hold out hope for another presidential race with a woman who's ideas more closely match my own beliefs. But then I don't have any interest at all in voting for anyone so tied in corporately, be it man or woman.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Great posts guys, well articulated.
    brianlux said:

I showed my wife this post to get her input. Of course, she would love to see a woman as president. But it's got to be a woman that she agrees with the policies of. She said why does your friend feel like she is obligated to vote a woman? Do you feel obligated to go for a man because your man? Or do we vote for who we feel would make the best president. Why is that question getting lost on people??

Also, did she vote for Hillary last time around, when she lost? And does that have any impact on this election?
    Post edited by Free on
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,918
    A complete rejection of these tactics yesterday in New Hampshire.

The win for Bernie Sanders in New Hampshire isn't only enormous in terms of momentum, it undermines the foundation of Hillary Clinton's campaign. NBC News reports 55% of female voters in New Hampshire chose Bernie Sanders, while 44% voted for Clinton. As potentially the first female president, Clinton still lost the women's vote to Sanders.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/h-a-goodman/new-hampshire-women-chose-bernie-sanders_b_9200174.html

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Free said:

Great posts guys, well articulated.

brianlux said:

I showed my wife this post to get her input. Of course, she would love to see a woman as president. But it's got to be a woman that she agrees with the policies of. She said why does your friend feel like she is obligated to vote a woman? Do you feel obligated to go for a man because your man? Or do we vote for who we feel would make the best president. Why is that question getting lost on people??

Also, did she vote for Hillary last time around, when she lost? And does that have any impact on this election?
    My friend is an older supporter of the women's movement and so I suspect she feels some sense of urgency to have a woman as president. That just doesn't seem like a sensible approach. It would make more sense to me to wait for a woman to run for office who is the kind of person she really does want to vote for based on more than just gender. It will happen one day so I think older feminists would do well to promote a candidate that is a better match rather than for someone that really doesn't match well under other criteria.

I'm guessing she voted for Obama last time but not sure.

• Options
    Elizabeth Warren is a woman I know I can get behind.
  • Options
    Free said:

Because this is a family site I will not soil it up with my standard Sophmoric response to the above statement.Your welcome.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,536
    edited February 2016
    If a female president is elected just because she's a woman but doesn't happen to be qualified (I do NOT think Clinton is unqualified, FTR), then that hurts women's rights. Male or female, everyone should be voting for the person whose platform best fits their own views (assuming they are telling the truth that is... in some cases right now that is not the case, and therefore people shouldn't be voting for them even if their so-called platform does fit their views).
    Declarations like Albright's also hurt women's rights. It's shit like that that keeps the MORONS of the world using terms like "feminazis" and thinking that feminists are their enemy. Of course, IDIOTS like that don't really deserve our attention either way, but unfortunately, those DUMBASSES actually still have the ability to influence other DOUCHEBAGS like them. :)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    rr165892 said:

Free said:

Because this is a family site I will not soil it up with my standard Sophmoric response to the above statement.Your welcome.
    I don't recognize any of that on George Carlin's 7 words. Funny.
  • Options
    Free said:

For sure! I would vote for Warren in a heartbeat. At the same time, I'm thankful that at least we do have her in congress where her efforts are huge and her impact is widespread.

• Options
    Hoping to see her as Bernie's running mate.
  • Options
    Free said:

Hoping to see her as Bernie's running mate.

Perfect!

• Options
    edited February 2016
    #ImNotKiddingMaddi trends as Hillary Clinton sends 'desperate' email asking for a dollar after New Hampshire vote

A woman named Maddi has caused nation-wide mirth in the US after posting an email she says she received from Hillary Clinton online.
    In the email, Clinton (or her team) says: "After tonight's results roll in, keep this in mind: most of the country casts their primary ballots by the middle of March.
    "We absolutely, critically need to make sure Hillary comes out on top in the states that lie ahead.
    "I'm not kidding, Maddi, I'm asking you to give $1 right this second".
    imageimage
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,918

#ImNotKiddingMaddi trends as Hillary Clinton sends 'desperate' email asking for a dollar after New Hampshire vote

A woman named Maddi has caused nation-wide mirth in the US after posting an email she says she received from Hillary Clinton online.
    In the email, Clinton (or her team) says: "After tonight's results roll in, keep this in mind: most of the country casts their primary ballots by the middle of March.
    "We absolutely, critically need to make sure Hillary comes out on top in the states that lie ahead.
    "I'm not kidding, Maddi, I'm asking you to give $1 right this second".
    imageimage

Cool story.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    I'm not kidding, Maddi,
  • Options
    Rupert Murdoch - "Hillary speech awful point after point. Eg, better education but against charters, rein in Wall St which she will never do, etc."

regarding her New Hampshire concession speech.
  • Options
    Rupert Murdoch is hardly one to talk.