Pearl Jam limited edition chrome Pono Player

Comments

• darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,465
    Say it ain't so, Uncle Neil. Unofficial bootlegs? Really?
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,314

Say it ain't so, Uncle Neil. Unofficial bootlegs? Really?

I'm pretty shocked all those are up in the Pono store. And yet, they haven't released any new upgrades to the Ten, Vs, Vitalogy & Lightning Bolt albums .. in 192kHz 24Bit.

Doubt we will ever get a Pearl Jam album in the Pono store in glorious 192kHz 24Bit.
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,314
    https://www.facebook.com/PonobyNeilYoung/photos/a.727630220604014.1073741825.471854269514945/1072437579456608/?type=3&theater

Aloha! We are pleased to announce that the PonoMusic store is now live in Canada! We'll be bringing you the best selection of High Resolution music with new releases and new reissues each week. Additionally the PonoPlayer is now available for purchase at London Drugs stores throughout Canada, as well as Amazon.ca and Bay Bloor Radio. Thanks for being part of the PonoMusic team! #ponocanada #ponomusic
    www.ponomusic.com

(Neil making the announcement on stage at the press conference in Vancouver today)

That's great! Now, how about some Pearl Jam 24Bit 192kHz Flacs? Pretty please? :)

• evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,102
    Pono stinks ray finkle minks. This thread is now closed.

This shockingly brilliant message brought to you by overly flossed teeth.
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    evsgjamm said:

Bwhaha!! Dude, your posts. Haha!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    evsgjamm said:

Love me some Ray Finkle
  • KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,434
    MedozK said:

evsgjamm said:

Love me some Ray Finkle
    Straight cut fingernail clipper?
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Just saw Neil's official Canadian Pono launch press conference on today's morning news. It actually surprised me that it hit the local TV news.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,204
    i like my pono.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    AndySlash said:

i like my pono.

I don't have one, but I still don't really understand what all the complaining is about....
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • link93link93 Posts: 403
    I like mine as well.
    I love mine. I'm thinking about buying another one. Just waiting to see when a gen 2 version will be out.
  • Fixer13Fixer13 Posts: 192
    Oh man, the negativity that's in this town sucks.... image

And, for those that actually like Pono, Fry's is have a good deal right now (half price). I actually still like my Pono and listen to it every day. Balanced cables w/good headphones really make a difference.
    "How do afford your rock 'n roll lifestyle?"- Cake
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    I would like to hear someone's review of Pearl Jam's studio albums released through the Pono store? Is it worth the money to buy the music again? If so, why? Compare and contrast the the mediums of release. I.E the vinyl version of Vitalogy has the best overall sound for that release. For example does the bass line on Why go sound much fuller in hi-Rez compared to CD? Just curious, as I have not taken the plunge into high resolution digital music.
  • JB128716JB128716 Posts: 2,064
    I believe I have a pretty good ear (trained musician, etc...)

I honestly believe once you get to 320kps, you're good.

Also, I'm not 100% sure a lot of PJ's catalog was recorded on tape. So if the flac file is taken from a digital recording or a digital master, it really defeats the whole point.

I believe that's why we don't see that many 192 Flac files and if we do, they are the pre-90's recordings.

I've tried to have my high quality Flac files (Neil Young's Harvest) and I'll downgrade then to a 320 MP3. I'll take people in my car and hit shuffle. Most people can't tell the difference and if they can it's typically in the cymbals.
    92 - Orlando
    03 - Tampa
    08 - Tampa
    12 - DeLuna Fest, EV Orlando 1 & 2, EV Ft Lauderdale 1 & 2
    13 - Wrigley!!! ,Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford, OKC, Seattle
    14 - Leeds, Milton Keynes, St Louis
    16 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 & 2
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited December 2015
    JB128716 said:

Also, I'm not 100% sure a lot of PJ's catalog was recorded on tape. So if the flac file is taken from a digital recording or a digital master, it really defeats the whole point.

I believe that's why we don't see that many 192 Flac files and if we do, they are the pre-90's recordings.

This is why I only spend $ on music when it's pressed to vinyl & taken from true analog sources, unless it is pearl jam bootleg or the occasional cd... and with the vinyl im getting a 320 mp3 included 95% of the time... I also still believe in owning a physical product when I pay $ so digital media is not for me personally... otherwise I just hit Spotify or any other of the million free outlets

Still surprised Neil went digital, even if it is hi res

JB128716 said:

I've tried to have my high quality Flac files (Neil Young's Harvest) and I'll downgrade then to a 320 MP3. I'll take people in my car and hit shuffle. Most people can't tell the difference and if they can it's typically in the cymbals.

Nothing less than 320 is what I do now - what I really like are vinyl rips. :glasses:
    JB128716 said:

Have you tried the Revealer function on the Pono? I have shiiitty ears and can hear the difference
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    edited December 2015
    I doubt i would notice a difference.

Maybe some people can which is great but i always think back to when the pono lost to an iphone and other mp3 players in blind tests. (Done by Yahoo Tech)

the test was with HQ mp3's, headphones (a pretty good model but not TOP notch), and earbuds so not totally expert fielded but enough for me.
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,012
    How do I play my Pono in the car?

What kind of cable do you need? I tried once and couldn't figure it out
    do you have an aux input?
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,012

Yes next to my USB port... I tried an RCA aux cable
    Didn't work for some reason
    CROJAM95 said:

Yes next to my USB port... I tried an RCA aux cable
    Didn't work for some reason
    Should work if you plug into Ponos headphone output. Try a different auxiliary cable
  • rafierafie Posts: 2,160
    Anyone else notice that the transfer rate to the internal memory card is horrible? I just bought an external 128 GB card and uploaded a bunch of music there with no problem but when i upload stuff to the internal memory card it keeps getting stuck and crawls at a rate of 355/KBs.
    I also stopped using the pono music world program - kept crashing.
    Still can't believe I met Mike Mccready at the Guggenheim and got a pic with him!!!!!

2010: 9/7/10 - Bilbao
    2012: 26-27/6/12 - Amsterdam ~~ 29/6/12 - Werchter ~~ 4-5/7/12 - Berlin
    2014: 25/6/14 - Vienna ~~ 26/6/14 - Berlin
    Do not have a Pono - but do you have the latest and greatest firmware software update? Sometimes that can fix bugs.
  • rafierafie Posts: 2,160

Do not have a Pono - but do you have the latest and greatest firmware software update? Sometimes that can fix bugs.

What update are you referring to?
    Still can't believe I met Mike Mccready at the Guggenheim and got a pic with him!!!!!

2010: 9/7/10 - Bilbao
    2012: 26-27/6/12 - Amsterdam ~~ 29/6/12 - Werchter ~~ 4-5/7/12 - Berlin
    2014: 25/6/14 - Vienna ~~ 26/6/14 - Berlin
    Oh - dunno - but I am sure they update software just like a iPod or iPhone - but that's just me guessing
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    How does this actually compare to something like I'm rocking now a FIo X3 ii?
  • jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,815
    rafie said:

A new update notice was sent out from Pono earlier today. It states the update should be downloaded by 1/1/16 (short notice?? :confused: ) Haven't tried it yet but could possibly resolve some kinks
  • hsohihsohi Posts: 1,033
    rafie said:

They just announced one.
    London Ontario 2013, Buffalo New York 2013, Lincoln Nebraska 2014, Quebec City 2016