Ratio of males to females on the PJ Forum

Comments

• rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    I think the fun part is trying to put a face to the words.
  • PJSirenPJSiren Salem, OR Posts: 5,863
    SD48277 said:

It's not just you, Amy. I used to get that a lot.

I will admit I was guilty of thinking you were a dude...I think it was your username though, and I never saw anything from you that screamed I'm a girl...but I know better now...

I have not been mistaken as a dude to my knowledge, but that might be because I had avatars of myself...
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    I hope it's not sexist to say that having Siren in your screen name immediately made me conclude you're a woman. I realize PJ's done a song with that title, lol, but my brain still goes to the mythical ones, lol. Which says more about me than it does you, I think, lol.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
    edited March 2015

I hope it's not sexist to say that having Siren in your screen name immediately made me conclude you're a woman. I realize PJ's done a song with that title, lol, but my brain still goes to the mythical ones, lol. Which says more about me than it does you, I think, lol.

Well, I was playing off the song and the mythical creature when I came up with my username, so don't feel weird for thinking of them...

See my thinking was, the song, plus Eddie loves the ocean and the mythical creatures live in the ocean...
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    Because patriarchy?
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    well, I can't quote so.... "welcome" Darth!
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    PJSiren said:

Well, I was playing off the song and the mythical creature when I came up with my username, so don't feel weird for thinking of them...

See my thinking was, the song, plus Eddie loves the ocean and the mythical creatures live in the ocean...
    It's funny, all this PJSiren talk got me to go back and re-examine the lyrics to the song...and it this twit's opinion (see my quote below, lol) that either meaning of the word can fit (gonna reread it a couple more times right now, lol). Never looked at the song that way before, lol, thanks for twisting my mind in that direction, lol!

And thanks to all for the welcome, it's appreciated!
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022

PJSiren said:

It's funny, all this PJSiren talk got me to go back and re-examine the lyrics to the song...and it this twit's opinion (see my quote below, lol) that either meaning of the word can fit (gonna reread it a couple more times right now, lol). Never looked at the song that way before, lol, thanks for twisting my mind in that direction, lol!

And thanks to all for the welcome, it's appreciated!
    You know I never thought of it that way either...but I see where you're coming from...haha
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    Which one am I?
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434

Which one am I?

Scott, you are a guy.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,144
    There are so many females here who i thought were guys. And i think a guy a girl.
    I miss igotid88
  • MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,483
    So?
    Anybody do hard research?
    The ratio has to be at least 8:1 male.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790

Which one am I?

Neither.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382

Which one am I?

you're that word we can't say anymore.

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive said:

Which one am I?

:nuh_uh: Shhh.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    deadendp said:

imalive said:

Which one am I?

:nuh_uh: Shhh.
    Does it have to do with Ash in a hole?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    A/S/L?
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377

A/S/L?

ASL for that word....

(disclaimer: I realize your name is Dave so this is by no means directed at you or any member of this forum. Have a good day.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbzmLFQeq6Y
  • SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    Hobbes said:

A/S/L?

ASL for that word....

(disclaimer: I realize your name is Dave so this is by no means directed at you or any member of this forum. Have a good day.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbzmLFQeq6Y
    My sign language repertoire is expanding. Thanks, Hobbes.
    ELITIST FUK
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

I've actually had the same experience, except I'm a dude, lol. Not sure what people assume of me based on my sceen name and pic, but in PMs I generally sign with my "real" name, Sandy (short for Alexander), which has led to me being called "a fair lady" in one instance, lol. I do appreciate that both sides can just laugh it off when clarification occurs, lol.
    Going by Sandy I've had to put up with either "That's a girl's name." or "Isn't that (little orphan) Annie's dog?" comments my whole life, and I've also got a last name that lends itself easily to mispronunciation, so I'm pretty used to it by now, lol.
    That said, I don't generally worry about a given poster's gender, and will key in more to what they're saying versus who they are. I suppose if I was on here looking for a date I might look at things a bit differently though, lol.

i know a married couple........one male and one female....both Kelly's.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I think it more stems from people assuming that posting on an online forum is more of a male-dominated activity. at least I used to assume that.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I think it more stems from people assuming that posting on an online forum is more of a male-dominated activity. at least I used to assume that.

It depends on the subject...
    Tattooed Dissident!
    PJSiren said:

It depends on the subject...
    well, for sure. if it's a breastfeeding forum, then it's obviously going to be mostly women. I mean online forums overall in general. I would guess it's probably 80/20, which explains why most people would just assume, without seeing pics or proper names, that someone is male.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    Thats why pm are for :D
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527

By my old name everyone assumed I was a guy (drinkbigredinstead) but I guess now because my picture is a bit more feminine I don't get that as much.

Lmao!! That was YOU!!?? Yeah.. I thought that you were a guy!! Lol I get mistaken for a guy all the time.. That's why I started using a pic of myself to disuade that from happening..
    PJ_Soul said:

Yes, people just assume I'm a guy until they somehow find out otherwise. I think it's just a default assumption for a lot of people, although a few have said that I actually specifically come off as a dude.... I'm not sure how I feel about that. I guess fine.

Somehow I always thought of you as female..
    edited August 2015

It may have been my bad, I tried editing what I was quoting to just keep the relevant bit, I guess from now on I'll just leave the whole thing in place, lol.
    Glad to be here, I've spent most of my fandom more or less in isolation, having only know a couple people I'd describe as fans, it's nice to feel more a part of the PJ community, I have to say.

Welcome!! Ps you have s stupendous sense of humor, which is instantly made obvious by your username.. Glad you made it here.
    edited August 2015
    Ok
    Since we're on this subject...I'm going to be brave/ brutally honest. I'm not sure how many of you were still here back then., or even if Kat and Sea paid enough attention to 'me' back then enough to remember this..but... In 1995-98.. I went through a really rely difficult time in my life, where I swore up and down I wanted to be a man. ( many many fucked up reasons played into that..but we won't go there.. Bottom line?? I thought I could be a better man than most men when it ce to treating women with respect.) so I used here and the Sony boards as a 'test site' for 'getting it down to a science' ... But I just told everyone here and on Sony that I was s guy named Jed. ( don't ask.. But I still LOVE my 'guy name' which was Jeddediah Allen. I always figured I'd ise that if I ever had a boy child.

Confusingly enough, this was allll under the same username of Whispering Hands!! So I often wonder if that era plays part in people assuming I'm make??
    Post edited by whispering hands on
    My friend, auto correct strikes again! Male. MALE! ;)

Wasn't around then. Couldn't tell you. I can tell you that while I've always known that lolobug was a guy, the name doesn't sound very guy like. (Sorry, Logan. A childhood nickname-- I know.)
    deadendp said:

My friend, auto correct strikes again! Male. MALE! ;)

Wasn't around then. Couldn't tell you. I can tell you that while I've always known that lolobug was a guy, the name doesn't sound very guy like. (Sorry, Logan. A childhood nickname-- I know.)

Lmao!! Lolo was there for all that!! He was on the Sony boards then too. Not sure if he ever knew THIS. Though.