Good News

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
edited June 2014 in A Moving Train
Why not- let's through some good news around here now and then! I got this thread topic idea from Huffington Post's web page. They have a section called "Good News".

Here's a cool one from today's Huff Post Good News page:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/06/drowning-oregon-teen-rescued-sheriff_n_5461324.html?utm_hp_ref=good-news

Oregon Deputy Risks Own Life, Rescues Teen Drowning In Frigid Water

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — A deputy sheriff on Southern Oregon's coast who spent 45 minutes battling the surf and keeping a teenager's head above water was described as delirious and losing consciousness when rescuers were finally able to pull the two from 50-degree water.

Deputy Terry Brown was hospitalized in critical condition Monday, but he and the 14-year-old from Brookings are expected to recover, Curry County Sheriff John Bishop said.

The boy was in about 3 feet of water at Harris Beach north of Brookings when he got pulled seaward by a strong, rip current into what Bishop said was extremely rough surf.

Brown was among those responding to a 911 call. He stripped to his uniform pants and T-shirt, put on an orange life vest and went after the boy.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Post edited by brianlux on

Comments

• OMGkatwomanOMGkatwoman Posts: 3,230
    Thank You Brianlux for posting this story, many communities are blessed to have those such as this brave deputy. Thanks for starting this thread :)>-
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592

Thank You Brianlux for posting this story, many communities are blessed to have those such as this brave deputy. Thanks for starting this thread :)>-

Thanks, OMGkatwoman- happy to do it! I hope we can keep it good!

:-bd
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

edited June 2014
    When I saw Paul Westerberg on Feb 21, 2005 at the Great American Music Hall in San Francisco- a messy, very memorable train-wreck of a show. Right in the middle of PW and His Only Band playing "Waitress in the Sky" Westerberg cracked up and spewed, "Ha! We sound like a fuckin' Holiday Inn Band!" He laughed with the guys in the band and kept right on playing. Funny as hell.

And that got me to thinking about the former title of the thread here (too much Hallmark Card) and I figure the good news stories will create the inspiration- don't need to mention it. Plus it's the title of a great Edward Abbey book called... Good News.

This is excellent news:

http://www.nrdc.org/media/2014/140610b.asp?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+NRDCPressReleases+(NRDC+Press+Releases)

HidroAysén Cancelled: Chile Rejects Environmental Approval

Chile’s Committee of Ministers, the country’s highest administrative authority, today cancelled the environmental permits for five controversial dams proposed on two of Chilean Patagonia’s wildest rivers, the culmination of an eight-year battle.

“This is the right move and an important step toward putting Chile on track toward a sustainable, clean energy future,” said Amanda Maxwell, Latin America Project Director at the Natural Resources Defense Council. “Patagonia’s rugged and varied wilderness is truly an environmental treasure. These giant dams would have put at risk the wilderness, traditional culture, and local tourism economy of this remarkable region. The country’s future energy needs are better served by building truly sustainable energy: renewables and energy efficiency.”

• Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,476
    Here's some great news. Go to the last page and scroll down to ChellesBells post:

http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/231361/please-help-a-really-good-pj-fan-and-10c-member-it-s-back/p21

Peace.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©

Here's some great news. Go to the last page and scroll down to ChellesBells post:

http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/231361/please-help-a-really-good-pj-fan-and-10c-member-it-s-back/p21

Peace.

Oh man, best news I've heard all day! Really, really, really, really, really, really, really, great news!

:-bd

edited March 2015
    Fail. The dig was on me no one else. Total fail. I'm done here.
    Post edited by brianlux on

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Why can't we just dig on something positive? With no digs? - I'm guessing it was meant as a joke, but this play on obsession and trading it out with another similar term...really not getting it.

You do realize that, and the other stuff in that thread, was insulting to a degree...?

Can we please let this go already, and if not, hit it head on and straightforward?
    I apologize for being insulting. I intended it to be a joke. Assholes should never try to be comedians. I didn't intend to be insulting but obviously I was and that sucks and I'm sorry.

At the same time, I have to say, there's way too much nastiness in general on this wreck of a forum. The bullying, the negativity, the insults. It's shameful and unproductive.

But that doesn't excuse my actions, no way. I'll admit it- I failed.

One, you're not an asshole (I'd say you have the propensity to be, as much as any of us =) )

Two, I don't think this place is a trainwreck (get it??). Shit gets heated, WE get heated. It's OK. It's not bullying. Part and parcel of who we are and how we interact. Can't lose sight of the good stuff either, and I get your intent in having bumped this.
  • whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    That's a great article! Thnx for posting!
  • KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    Kat said:
    That's sweet. I sometimes dress as a princess to boost my own confidence.
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    hedonist said:
    I don't think I could cash the check. Another good one. Keep them coming.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    On personal good news note my cardiac meds haven't affected my sexual performance, carry on that's all I got ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....

On personal good news note my cardiac meds haven't affected my sexual performance, carry on that's all I got ...

Hey man that sounds like great news.
  • muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013
    No more Harry Reid, now if only Pelosi gets the hint it would be the best news....
  • whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    Wish there was a medical advice column in this place.. I know we got doctors and surgeons and shut like that in this fan base, somewhere. I'm having the weirdest of numbness.. And it's not my Nueropathy.. Or, can that spread to your back and legs?? Guess I need to call my doc..
  • chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157

Wish there was a medical advice column in this place.. I know we got doctors and surgeons and shut like that in this fan base, somewhere. I'm having the weirdest of numbness.. And it's not my Nueropathy.. Or, can that spread to your back and legs?? Guess I need to call my doc..

yeah probably a good idea to make an appointment vvith your doctor
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce

jose is doing a demure peacock dance this morning =)

Whispering, numbness is not to be taken lightly - get it checked out!
    If we are sharing personal good news as well. Just found out my tumors are benign. Second time through this, both with the same awesome results. Feels like I'm playing with house money!
  • KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769

If we are sharing personal good news as well. Just found out my tumors are benign. Second time through this, both with the same awesome results. Feels like I'm playing with house money!

That is VERY good news.
    Falling down,...not staying down
    That's FANTASTIC WhatYouTaughtMe! So glad for you!

Thanks, I am ecstatic of course! Here's my favorite kind of story, turning a dark situation around and trying to shine some light onto others.
    http://www.wcsh6.com/story/news/local/2015/03/14/travis-mills-foundation-buys-former-arden-estate/24778599/

Smiling here for you!
  • rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697

Great News.Drinks are on Whatyoutaughtme in the lounge.