Any of you attend Woodstock '99??

Yellow BedwetterYellow Bedwetter NYC Posts: 2,832
edited May 2007 in Other Music
Who did you see and what do you "remember"?

I've been watching youtube clips all day of KoRn, RHCP, Offspring
2005: Borgata 2, Philly
2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
2012: Made in America
2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
2015: Global Citizens
2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DavanitaDavanita Posts: 854
    i haven't been there, obviously, but i have the soundtrack and it's pretty wicked.
    Jon Stewart: "[about Russia's new president]...Dmitri Medevvvevv.... Dmitri Meh..... Dmitri M.! Or... as George W. Bush would probably pronounce it... Eddie Vedder."
  • DavanitaDavanita Posts: 854
    17 on disc one and 16 on disc two :)
    Jon Stewart: "[about Russia's new president]...Dmitri Medevvvevv.... Dmitri Meh..... Dmitri M.! Or... as George W. Bush would probably pronounce it... Eddie Vedder."
    I was there..... Arrived on the Thursday morning before from St. Louis. They hadn't opened the grouds yet so the highway was at a dead stop for 15 miles. Got out on my car and took pics of the highway each way. People were playing hackie sack and smokin weed on the highway.... CRAZY!!!

Got in on thursday, and walked 3 miles to the front gate from where we parked. It ended up being 100+ degrees the whole weekend. Picked our camping spot and set up.... Hung out all night and they had some locals playing all Thursday.

Friday morning, James Brown opened up one of the 2 main stages and from there it was insanity.... The most amazing experience of my life.... I remember the tension in the crowd as everyone waited for the first heavy band (Korn) on Friday night.... Running up to the crowd, people shooting off fireworks everywhere, and then they start Blind. I've never been so scared as when they kicked in to the first heavy part and that wave of people hit... UNBELIEVEABLE!!! Watch the performance of Blind, you can see the wave...

The next night on Saturday, the headliners were (in order) Limp Bizkit, Rage, and Metallica. I remember the last person before Limp was Alanis, and everyone was booing her. The whole vibe was getting fucking violent and dark fast.... Limp came on, and the place went fucking insane. Specifically, during "Break Stuff" when Fred did his whole speech "Take out all your anger at this fucking festival now.... The heat, the no water, the camping, DO IT NOW" or whatever he said and then they hit the "Give me something to break" shit.... Insane vibe.... After them was Rage, they were delayed playing by like 2 hours, the crowd was super pissed by the time they came on. After that was Metallica, and they just delivered.... After Metallica ended about 1:30am, we were walking back to the campground and we hit some mud, I put my girlfriend over my shoulder, and walked through calf high mud... Got to the end of the mud and realized that all the fucks going crazy had over turned all the Johnny on the Spots and the field turned into a field of human shit. I remember washing my legs with 100's of others in the hand washing station, people were all "What the fuck man" and we are all "YOU WANNA GET THE SHIT OFF OUR LEGS?!?!?!" Also, by friday night the Johnny on the spot service people had quit, so all the johnnys had a shit piss tampon mountain coming out of all the toilet holes. And on Saturday to conserve costs, they cut off the drinking water for 2 hours from 12-2pm... This was during 105 degree weather.... All the showers were open shower areas divided by sex, and guys would climb up the girls shower area's and hang on the roof and look in..... It was just getting more insane and more insane. Plus the prices were RIDICULOUS for 1999. It was 6 dollars for an 8 ounce bottle of water, 10 dollars for a hand rolled tortilla.

By sunday after sleeping in a pool of my own sweat for 3 days, we decided it was enough and started to head home. Got a hotel in Weedsport NY and watched the riot on TV... Can't say I was suprised at all..... Still, I prayed for a woodstock 2004, and still pray for one anytime in my lifetime. I would DEFINATELY GO AGAIN, I would just be more prepared. CRAZY TIMES!
    and love, what a different life had I not had this love with you.
  • Yellow BedwetterYellow Bedwetter NYC Posts: 2,832
    that is an awesome reply
  • NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,295
    riots and $8 bottles of water...the spirit of the origional lives on...
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • lephtylephty Posts: 770
    awesome times...

worst memory.. holding in #2 for 4 days... i was not about to use those "facilities"

best memory... going totally nuts when RHCP came out and played FIRE!

scariest memory.. going back to our tents.. our tent neighbors came back a bit later and were like "guys there are riot police throwing tear gas... friend and i look at eachother like "hey should we go?".. so we look out at the parking lot and everyone and there mother was leaving at 2am. screw that.. we waited till the morning, nobody was around, cleaned the ashes off car and left with no traffic problems and a night of sleep:)

first thing i did when i got home... go to the bathroom
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    I remember it was everything Woodstock '69 wasn't... Didn't it get burned down by rap/metal nu-metal people???
  • mensanemensane Posts: 912
    i was there. my sister and i drove up from north carolina. we didnt know that you could bring so much in with you (food, ect) so we spent a fortune. we finally got our tent set up at 1am on thursday night. we were up at like 7-mainly because it was too freakng hot to be in the tent any longer. i had a backpack that we filled with 6 bottles of water that be brought in. i carried it all weekend. when they were empty, we refilled them. luckily we had just filled them when the water was cut off.

friday was pretty fun. the field still looked green. everyone was in a good mood. we had also brought these water guns that we shot people with between shows. friday night, my sister wanted to go in the pit during the offspring and then we would meet up and head to the other stage for george clinton. i spent most of korn's set looking for her. i will never forget the way the crowd moved during their set...insane. i never found her so i hung around for bush's set. (i walked back to the tent and she was asleep inside).

saturday was not as fun. it was like having a concert on a landfill. they had stopped emptying the trash and the toilets were nasty. and it was sooo hot. they were showing movies inside of this hangar. it was the only place to get out of the sun. you had to find a piece of cardboard box and carry it in with you so you could have something to sit on (the floor was covered with trash, so basically you sat on the box on top of trash). by the end of the night, i was exhausted. after rage we limped back to the tent.

sunday morning, we woke up and my sister freaked out. she said my face was burned. i grabbed a mirror and looked. it was covered in blisters. we went to the first aid tent and they gave me cold compresses. it was strongly advised that i not spend any more time in the sun. i was hurting so we left. i had booked a hotel for sunday night in rome months in advance (i figured we would go there after the last show that night). we camped out in the lobby for 4 hours until our room was ready. then we showered and went to have a real dinner. we came back to the room and my eyelids were starting to swell shut. when i woke up monday morning, one was completely closed and the other was very close. i had to go to an urgent care office and pay $200 to get a prednizone shot to open my eyes and a special cream for the sun poisoning on my face.

i am glad i went. i am very glad my sister was with me. i learned two things....

i hate mud......and.....sunscreen has an expiration date.
  • Atomic PunkAtomic Punk Posts: 2,941
    I did not go to Woodstock '99, I went to the one in '94.
    I do have the entire pay-per-view of the whole thing on video tape. It is on like 10 or 11 6-hour tapes. The best part was that since there was more than one stage, whatever they did not show live they filmed and showed overnight so all the bands were on it.

I can remember thinking how it did not look like a lot of fun in 1999. I had a blast in 1994 though...
  • PorchsitterPorchsitter Loganville, GA Posts: 1,069
    Dickens said it best: "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times."

Best of Times: Willie Nelson on Sunday morning. To me, this was the highlight and the antithesis of what became of the whole event itself. People were sitting on the grass, standing around, there wasn't a pit for a change. It was a great way to begin the day considering what would happen later.

Other highlights: RHCP set, Rage's set, the 14-hour car ride back home, the rain that came during Metallica's set, Korn, George Clinton, the Roots.

Worst of Times: $4 water. 90 degree weather. The cancellations, most notably Al Green and Aerosmith. Sweating inside a tent. Not taking a shower for four days (there was a foot of "standing water" in the showers). Getting back to my campsite after the Chili Peppers set and freaking out because I could not find my tent (people I went with saw what was going on with tents being thrown in fires and dragged all of our tents to the parking lots...thank God). Watching the fires from the parking lot.

Overall, it was not the best concert experience of my life, and I realized that I am not a big fan of festival shows.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    I was there, it was a 6 hour drive or so from were i live in pa. we rented a van that fit like 8 of us. We bought a party ball and drank the whole way there,which was a mistake. I remember waitn hours it seemed to get into the parking lot. Once we got there people were partyin every where outside. I remember walkn in woodstock with a ballon(nitrus) in my mouth. We stayed at the mainstage pretty much the whole event which was fucking insane. Sugar ray was supposed to be the opener but backed out and james brown got the call instead. We were right next to the stage for james brown but couldnt take the mosh pit probably the only 1 of his career. Seen KORN for the 1st of 10 times amazing band live. Remember rage burning the american flag on stage which didn't go over very well. Meatallica came out for which seemed like 5 encores sat night. Bizkit tore the place down literally. Got lost gettn back after the fatboyslim rave sat night and ended up takn me 4 hrs to find my tent which fuckn blew,the weed and nitrus and alchol had nuthin to do with it i tell my self. All in all what a fuckn crazy trip. If they ever have another i will bring an extra ounce.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642
    I was there. I was 14 and I hitchhiked from Niagara Falls. I wish I was older now that I think of it. I also got heat stroke.

Yeah, I didn't think that it was that good. Looking back now.
    Cock Fight.
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    My husband was there and got so sick from the lack of sanitation stations. He had to be hospitalized when he got back.
    But he still looks back lovingly. He loves those kind of things. He still does the Gathering of the Vibes every year.
    I remember listening to it on the radio.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    i worked it - but only was in the crowd for the RHCP fire fun.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • spearheadspearhead Posts: 600
    One of my best memories was being pretty loaded in the beer garden waiting for the next band to go on, when all of a sudden hundreds of guys about 16 to 19 years old start running from the beer garden and everywhere else, screaming at the top of their lungs..."KORN!!!" "KORN!!!" Apparently they were about to go on...
    My friend and I looked at each other and said "Fuck Korn!" We then proceeded to go to one of the other stages just as George Clinton and the P. Funk Allstars were going on and saw an incredible set that Korn could never have pulled off in a million years...
    I was alone and far away when I heard the band start playing!

...I was always a DeadHead, but when I first heard Winston Rodney, aka the Burning Spear, sing, I became a SpearHead too!
  • Who did you see and what do you "remember"?

Nope but 1994 and fucked up on shrooms...LOL....good times
    Master of Zen
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    thank the lord for coachella.....more civilized!
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    edited December 2022
    Who did you see and what do you "remember"?

i didn't go to any of them, but would have preferred '94 over '99 but '99 had some cool moments

bored now watching some of the clips.
    Did not know Bush replaced Guns N Roses at the last minute and covered Fuckin' Up
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4YWaa8prM0

best mosh pit: Korn- Blind
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQzAKxgBAL8

Forgot Flea played naked, LOL
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKntzyItWbk

RATM burning the flag:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Zb_Ma7fJNw

Limp Bizkit- Break Stuff
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPk7-fCvbao

fun fact: also a young unheard band named Muse played there Pearl Jam Smileys

Post edited by eeriepadave on
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    Every time I read a new story or watch a video I haven't seen of this event, it solidifies that Woodstock '99 probably would have been my worst nightmare haha
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,972
    My girlfriend went - I know her favorite performance was RHCP
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    edited December 2014
    yup was there..... grew up a lot that weekend.. seen and heard shit i never saw before. too many people, no control, expensive food, heat stroke, and scared shitless the last night. seen the hip, dmb rhcp, kid rock, rhcp to name a few big acts.

oh yeah... one more thing...never fucking again
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    I was 16 and remember begging my parents to buy the pay-per-view for me. They did and I watched all weekend thinking how cool it would have been to be there....shows how dumb you are when you're 16...I prob would have died.

That mosh pit during 'Blind' is one of the most insane things I have ever seen. So crazy. I have that version of 'Blind' on my workout playlist...always gets me all fired up. That Bush cover of 'Fuckin' Up' is pretty awesome too.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go get lost for the next couple of hours watching video clips from Woodstock 99 on youtube.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    I was there would never ever attend a shit festival like that again , the only good thing was I came back with all new camping equipment ......
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,204
    samjam wrote: »
    Every time I read a new story or watch a video I haven't seen of this event, it solidifies that Woodstock '99 probably would have been my worst nightmare haha

i've love going to and have been to many festivals, but even i think this one would have broken me.
  • rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    I had a great time. Me and three friends drove up from CT without tix. We were able to get a nice parking spot on someones lawn who had an outdoor shower set up and fire pit. Some locals who were working the gig sold us 4 weekend wrist bands for $100. I remember being on that tarmac in the day when DMB was playing and it was like 110 degrees. By mid-afternoon saturday people had had enuff of the $5 bottles of water and no waterfountains or even enuff outhouses. I remember commandeering an ice cream cart ;) an tossing free ice cream to the poors.
  • ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBC_3UKPFxs

head to 19:19 and let it run...

For a long time I only had the audio of this 1 song and that was my entire Woodstock 99 experience. Just hearing that 1 song, I knew that the whole scene was an out of control zoo. I can't believe it was still daylight. I wanted to go, in retrospect, I am so glad I did not. Like the NFL, it's better on TV. I never even thought of watching on the You Tubes. I'm going to start watching tonight, Rage first. then Bush, then Ice Cube, the RHCPs and then Metallica.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • I was there would never ever attend a shit festival like that again , the only good thing was I came back with all new camping equipment ......

Slightly used camping equipment.........nice :-B

Wasn't there in 99 but had a GREAT time in 95 :)>- . Way too many stories to relay today, but ask me another time & I can rehash them like it was yesterday :-?
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    No brand new people broke into the trailers for the outdoor equipment vendor kids were throwing out brand new tents , sleeping bags everything all in bxs
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    it reminded me of that scene in Taps with chubby Tom Cruise.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppMQ2Jvekfg