Eddie Vedder's Wine Cellar

Comments

• badbrains said:

maybe he drinks Maynard's wine? B-)

I have a bottle from I believe 08. From what I'm hearing, his winery is really kick ass. Heard he's got some great wines. The one I tried in 08 was ok. But I'm sure he's got that shit down. Cadacus sellers.
    I had the Lilith from Caduceus and while it was good it was pretty damn expensive for a blend. He's (Maynard) is definitely heading in the right direction with his wine though.

If you want a really good bang for your buck try Los Vascos Cabernet. $10 a bottle. It's a decent wine for the price.

If you want pricier and tastier try anything from the Howell Mountain region. Kick ass wines.
    Mid range Seghesio and Rodney Strong are good 25-30 bottles.

I love talking wine people!
    Pretty damn expensive for a blend? What does that mean? Only the US makes a virtue of single varietal wines. (Well, maybe Australia as well). That's something that got started when early US producers didn't have any appellation names to use in marketing (e.g. Chateauneuf du Pape, etc.). Most of the rest of the world sees the value in blends.
    Fair point.

It is two type of wine in his blend though.

Totally European way of thinking with blends, Malbecs too. I like the local, single vineyard approach. If you look at Cali's wine region there are definitely better areas that produce better wines. Alexander valley and Howell mountain are two that I love.

Blending can make good things as cognac does this. Which also has areas designated to this and has to be labeled so. Champagne is only made in Champagne too, unless you're Korbel and don't care for such things. lol

I'd have fun discussing wine with you. PM me if you'd like.

• eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    Just remember this. In 'Sideways', Miles goes on the Merlot rant outside the restaurant and completely disses Cabernet Franc during the wine tasting. Guess what grapes are in his most prized wine? The Cheval Blanc Bordeaux? Yup, a blend of Merlot and Cabernet Franc.

• jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484
    Interesting to see how the personal tastes of the boys have developped. Eddie, always being the kind of guy who's against any elitist manners, keeps bringing more and more quality wines during shows while you can see Stone or Jeff having a Heineken or Stella Artois, most of the time. Nothing against red wine btw, I am glad that it is part of the experience. :)

I beg to differ from the posters saying that if you will go for heavy volumes of wine, you dont have to care for quality and take some cheap wine. The stomach pays for it later, in a bad way. I hate to throw up from bad quality wine. :-?
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821

badbrains said:

I have a bottle from I believe 08. From what I'm hearing, his winery is really kick ass. Heard he's got some great wines. The one I tried in 08 was ok. But I'm sure he's got that shit down. Cadacus sellers.
    I had the Lilith from Caduceus and while it was good it was pretty damn expensive for a blend. He's (Maynard) is definitely heading in the right direction with his wine though.

If you want a really good bang for your buck try Los Vascos Cabernet. $10 a bottle. It's a decent wine for the price.

If you want pricier and tastier try anything from the Howell Mountain region. Kick ass wines.

Pretty damn expensive for a blend? What does that mean? Only the US makes a virtue of single varietal wines. (Well, maybe Australia as well). That's something that got started when early US producers didn't have any appellation names to use in marketing (e.g. Chateauneuf du Pape, etc.). Most of the rest of the world sees the value in blends.
    Fair point.

Totally European way of thinking with blends, Malbecs too. I like the local, single vineyard approach. If you look at Cali's wine region there are definitely better areas that produce better wines. Alexander valley and Howell mountain are two that I love.

Blending can make good things as cognac does this. Which also has areas designated to this and has to be labeled so. Champagne is only made in Champagne too, unless you're Korbel and don't care for such things. lol

Champagne is only made in Champagne; anywhere else it's sparkling wine, no matter who makes it or what they call it. Korbel's is Californian sparkling wine. But hey, it doesn't bother me if they try to sneak that past people.

tempo_n_groove, if you like local single vineyard wines, then go for it and enjoy! Californian wines tend to be overpriced in BC, to my mind, so I don't drink many of them.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • badbrains said:

Fair point.

Champagne is only made in Champagne; anywhere else it's sparkling wine, no matter who makes it or what they call it. Korbel's is Californian sparkling wine. But hey, it doesn't bother me if they try to sneak that past people.

tempo_n_groove, if you like local single vineyard wines, then go for it and enjoy! Californian wines tend to be overpriced in BC, to my mind, so I don't drink many of them.
    I did a tour of Korbel and I asked specifically "why do they call it Champagne" and the person told me point blank in front of the rest of the tour "we don't care what the rest of the world says". I laughed my ass off.
  • PorchgirlCOPorchgirlCO Colorado Posts: 1,375

badbrains said:

Fair point.

I did a tour of Korbel and I asked specifically "why do they call it Champagne" and the person told me point blank in front of the rest of the tour "we don't care what the rest of the world says". I laughed my ass off.
    Funny shit! BTW got the sticker yesterday. THANKS!!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...

Orlando 4/24/92 & 8/23/92, Miami 3/28/94, Ft Laud 10/7/96, Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Missoula 9/30/12, EV Jax 11/24/12 & 11/25/12, Chicago (Wrigley) 7/19/13, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Tulsa 10/8/14, Lincoln 10/9/14, Denver 10/22/14, Jacksonville 4/12/16, Greenville 4/16/16, Telluride 7/9/16, Boston (Fenway) 8/5/16 & 8/7/16, Seattle (Safeco) 8/10/18, Boston (Fenway) 9/2/18 & 9/4/18, Dana Point 10/1/21 & 10/2/21, MSG 9/11/22, Denver 9/22/22, Austin 9/18/23 & 9/19/23.

badbrains said:

Fair point.

Ironic that they say they don't care what the rest of the world says, while stealing a name for the sole reason that they care very much what the rest of the world says (about Champagne). If they really didn't care, I think they'd come up with their own name.

Anyone opening a good bottle of something tonight?
  • Got a bottle of Oddero Barolo 2010 on Friday. Never had it before. Think I will give it a long decanting before drinking it around the end of next month. My Christmas treat to myself.
    Hold On
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    Ed definitely used to drink the siduri pinot noir, they used to custom make the bottles for him. I have also seen him drink jordan cabernet.

Got a bottle of Oddero Barolo 2010 on Friday. Never had it before. Think I will give it a long decanting before drinking it around the end of next month. My Christmas treat to myself.

Your 2010 Barolo should be lovely, given the year, but are you sure you want to drink it in 2014? I can certainly understand your impatience (I would be, too), and a Christmas treat is great, but this is really one that you could cellar a long time.
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    TinAnt said:

JH6056 said:

The 'king' of wines. I have seen bottles in our shop for around $50 a bottle. Little pricey for a bottle of red.

$50 a bottle isn't pricey when we are talking wine.
    I beg to differ. Some of the best italian red wine I've had cost me $12 USD. I've had the pricey stuff before too.
    We weren't talking about quality, we were talking about price. I stand by my comment that $50 isn't considered pricey for wine (any wine, but particularly red wine). If you want to talk about quality, that's a different story.
    I think 2-feign-reluctance's point may have been (and I agree if it was) that the whole concept of what's "pricey" and what's not is also relative. I agree with feign: $50 for a bottle of wine IS pricey in my circles. I've gotten around a bit and had the pricier stuff... Trader Joe's shiraz is totally cool with me. I have also drunk from Ed's bottle (I guess back in the days when he gave us the bottle and we gave it back - aaaah the old days when you got PJ cooties right from the source! :) ), and I will agree that it DID taste extra awesome (it was '06, not sure what brand he was drinking then but it was amazing), so I get the idea that some wines really are worth the splurge. But I agree with feign that while I do realize many in the world spend more than $50 on a bottle on a regular basis, for some of us, it IS pricey (and not the norm) to spend anything more than $20 on a bottle of wine. It's all relative.
    Do you hang out under the bridge, standing around a barrel burning 2x4s and pallets? You don't have to keep the paper bag the bottle came in you know....
    I'm pretty sure we're supposed to keep it civil here, so let's just say I find your humor (or, more likely, your serious comment) obnoxious and annoying, and leave it at that. But go for it, if it makes you feel better to try to paint people who don't spend more than $15 on wine as homeless, I hope that's working well for you. Pretty sure actual homeless people are more interesting and fun to hang out with than you so, maybe I shouldn't even say it's obnoxious...
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    My sister is a sommelier, so I have had some pretty good wine over the years, and the best glass I ever had was a $30 or so bottle.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited December 2014
    What I would say is that quality does generally (not always) increase as price increases BUT only to a point, and that point isn't at a very high price. A $6 bottle of wine is unlikely to be very good (unless you are drinking it on a patio in Tuscany along with some local cheese and sausage...), although there's a chance it's good, while a $15 bottle of wine has a better chance of being good. However, once you get above about $40-$50, increasing price has a much stronger correlation with image, marketing, and hype than with quality of the wine.

Edit - my prices are in Canadian $, within BC, which has notoriously high wine prices compared to some other regions.
    Post edited by oftenreading on
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    I'm laughing at that even though I know you're dissing me.

I'm laughing at that even though I know you're dissing me.
    Nah, not having a dig at ya! Just all the thread participants (myself included).
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Might as well find a Sideways clip too...

• You are correct. This wine should age very nicely and will likely improve.
    I have more than one bottle now though, so I will decant one, let it sit for a few hours and then taste. I'll keep the other bottles for the future. Thanks for your advice. I love talking about wine.

Got a bottle of Oddero Barolo 2010 on Friday. Never had it before. Think I will give it a long decanting before drinking it around the end of next month. My Christmas treat to myself.

Your 2010 Barolo should be lovely, given the year, but are you sure you want to drink it in 2014? I can certainly understand your impatience (I would be, too), and a Christmas treat is great, but this is really one that you could cellar a long time.
    Hold On

You are correct. This wine should age very nicely and will likely improve.
    I have more than one bottle now though, so I will decant one, let it sit for a few hours and then taste. I'll keep the other bottles for the future. Thanks for your advice. I love talking about wine.

More than one bottle? You lucky dog! Please let us (me) know what it's like when you open it.
  • ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    Regardless of price, I have never had a taste of ANY red wine that I have found enjoyable. Ever. That shit just rubs me the wrong way. Pour me a cup or glass, I may take a sip but I'm not drinking the whole thing cause that shit's nasty, I don't care what it cost. I'm certainly not putting my mouth on that bottle.
    Just my opinion , but Ed should stop fucking around up there and either stop drinking altogether OR start drinking Stolichnaya. We'll see how many of you fuckers are clamoring for a sip of that.

Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    Don't know that we'd be getting these 3 plus hour marathon shows
    if Ed were knocking back straight vodka on stage!!!
    He'd be pretty wasted by the first encore!!! =))
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• I did try the Rodney Strong Symmetry and it was a fantastic bottle. I may need to start trying more of these blends. My pallet is apparently been missing out...

Looking for suggestions now.

I did try the Rodney Strong Symmetry and it was a fantastic bottle. I may need to start trying more of these blends. My pallet is apparently been missing out...

Any particular part of the world that you're interested in?
  • jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484
    I think the wine dries his mouth and throat and makes his voice sound deeper. I am not sure if vodka will make that effect.
    My experience is wine makes you want to speak smart and intellectually while vodka makes you not care anymore about looking like a fool.
    derbydave said:

Don't know that we'd be getting these 3 plus hour marathon shows
    if Ed were knocking back straight vodka on stage!!!
    He'd be pretty wasted by the first encore!!! =))

What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1

• I did try the Rodney Strong Symmetry and it was a fantastic bottle. I may need to start trying more of these blends. My pallet is apparently been missing out...

Obviously I love California's, Chilean's are good, I've had some really nice Bordeaux's too. I've never went the Pinot noir route yet. Maybe we can try that. :-)

I did try the Rodney Strong Symmetry and it was a fantastic bottle. I may need to start trying more of these blends. My pallet is apparently been missing out...

Obviously I love California's, Chilean's are good, I've had some really nice Bordeaux's too. I've never went the Pinot noir route yet. Maybe we can try that. :-)
    I recently tried a 2009 Domaine Serene Yamhill Cuvee pinot noir from the Willamette Valley that I'd recommend; then you don't have to stray from the US! I Greppi Greppicante Bolgheri is a really tasty and relatively inexpensive Italian (DOC) that I'd recommend checking out. La Stella winery in the Okanagan valley is my favourite of the BC wineries. If you can get it down your way, you might like their Fortissimo, an Italian-style blend, generally of Merlot, Cab Sauv, Cab Franc, and Sangiovese.
    Where's the tequila thread people!?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Bushleaguer666Bushleaguer666 Long Island Posts: 45
    I'm spinning, oh, I'm spinning...from this wine conversation. Who knew wine was so complicated?
    All I know is that last November I went on a wine tasting tour in Tuscany and I had the time of my life. The wine, the meat, the cheese and the freshly pressed olive oil was awesome. Can't wait to do it again.
    Holmdel, NJ; July 14, 2003
    Continental Airlines Arena, NJ; June 1, 2006
    Madison Square Garden; June 24, 2008
    The Prudential Center; May 18, 2010
    Madison Square Garden 2; May 21, 2010
    Barclay Center 2; October 19, 2013
    Charlottesville, VA; October 29, 2013
    Tulsa, OK; October 8, 2014
    Lincoln, NE; October 9, 2014
    Memphis, TN; October 14, 2014
    Global Citizen; September 26, 2015
    Tampa, FL; April 11, 2016
    Madison Square Garden 1; May 1, 2016
    Madison Square Garden 2; May 2, 2016
    Toronto, Canada 2; May 12, 2016
  • mdgsolomdgsolo Posts: 782
    Whoever said that burning 2x4's and pallets under a bridge was not a nice way to enjoy a pleasant box of Pinot is just being mean spirited...

In seriousness though- water-side with friends, fire, and wine sounds pretty damn good to me. I don't care who you are, what season it is, or what your life looks like- the cost of the wine is rather irrelevant and the experience can often elevate taste. Such are the moments that keep you moving forward sometimes when everything else seems impossible- or punctuate a charmed life and elevate it one louder.

Cheers!
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I'd like to turn Ed onto some of our excellent local wines from El Dorado and Amador counties. Ed, if your reading this, buddy, come on down here, I'll be the designated driver and give you a tour. :-)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.