This^^^
  • Options
    TO AP:

PEARL JAM FOREST HILLS CROWDFUND HAS REACHED $50K
    IN LESS THAN TWO WEEKS

NEWS RELEASE
    November 19, 2014
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

QUEENS, N.Y.— In under two weeks the Pearl Jam Forest Hills Crowdfund has reached $50,641 in pledges from fans worldwide.
    The idea came from the recent successful crowdfund by Foo Fighters fans. What makes this campaign distinct is in its motto: “Forest Hills: Where Music History Happens.” These crowdfunders want the concert held at the historic Forest Hills Stadium where rock legends such as: The Who, the Beatles, and Jimi Hendrix have graced its stage.
    Currently the raise goal is a soft target of $100,000, but they hope to reach $500,000 plus in attempts to sweeten the deal for the band. “If we stop at $100,000, and turn that over to the band,” Dan Sheffer, the founder of the movement said, “Then after you pay the stadium, security, permits and so on, what’s left for Pearl Jam? We want to make sure they are taken care of as they have done so much for us fans for the last 25 years.”
    Credit cards are not charged until the goal is reached. If the band declines, all cards are never charged. Tilt, the crowdfunding vendor, is where participants can pledge $80, which equals a ticket to the show or a pledge $1,000, which is four tickets plus a “mystery” box of Pearl Jam gear. Some fans are so committed to the efforts that they donating their own memorabilia to contribute to the PJ Special Donor box.
    These crowdfunders are not just diehard Pearl Jam fans, but they are a fusion of longtime friends, family and volunteers who are devoted to adding to the musical history of Forest Hills. Interviews have already been given to CW 11, DNAInfo, Queens Courier and 1010WINS.
    " In New York as they say how the f*** ya doin'?" -Ed MSG 1 03

--
    MSG 1 '98 - MSG 1+2 '03 - Reading,PA '04 - Borgata 1 '05 - Continental Arena 1+2 '06 - Lollapalooza Chicago,IL '07-MSG 1+2 08, Mansfield 1 08, Beacon Theatre 08. MSG 1 10,PJ20 Alpine Valley, Atlanta 2012, Brooklyn 1+2 2013, Hartford 2013, Seattle 2013, Memphis 2014
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    edited November 2014
    I just have to say it: haven't most larger concert venues that are older than 50 years old or so hosted all those bands? It's not actually a point of interest to people that The Who and Hendrix and The Beatles played there. They played all over the place. All over the country and all over the world. They all played where I live too. It doesn't make the old venue with no bathrooms that happens to be a stone's throw away from your house any more appealing to people. IMHO.

Also, doesn't PJ charge $500K to play a private show, which this will be? Not sure how your goal of $500K+ is going to be enough. I guess just hoping that PJ will give you a good deal?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    That is a good point. Just because something has been around a while doesn't make it the best choice. For the band, for the fans, for the crew, for the world.
    (I think I am going to say that after every remotely applicable statement for a few days.)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,625
    PJ_Soul said:

Also, doesn't PJ charge $500K to play a private show, which this will be? Not sure how your goal of $500K+ is going to be enough. I guess just hoping that PJ will give you a good deal?

I'm sure PJ will give them a good deal. After all it will cost virtually nothing to drive the stage setup, lighting rig, crew and everything else thats involved with putting on a concert, 3000 miles across country for one show.
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• Options
    Speaking as a local resident that has seen concerts at forest hills hope it works out just a quick ride on lirr to a residential area Da kid pledged hope it happens if not it was def giving it a good effort
    Let's Go Yanks!
    96)Randalls Island I,II
    98)NJ,MSG I,II
    00) Virginia Beach Jones Beach I,II,III Saratoga Springs Seattle I
    03)Nassau Camden I MSG I,II NJ
    04)Boston I,II Reading
    05)Montreal Ottawa Toronto Borgata I,II Philly
    06) Irving plaza Albany Hartford Camden I,II NJ I,II LA I,II Gorge I,II
    07)Lolla
    08)Roo Camden I,II MSG I,II Hartford Beacon
    09)Chicago I,II Philly II,III,IV
    10)Hartford Newark MSG I,II
    11)PJ20 I,II
    13)Wrigley Brooklyn I,II Hartford
    14)Moline,milwaukee
    15)Central Park
    16)MSG I,II
    17)Wrigley I,II
    18)Wrigley I,II
    22)MSG,Camden
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

For the band, for the fans, for the crew, for the world.
    (I think I am going to say that after every remotely applicable statement for a few days.)

:D

Also, to the OP - there's a typo in your release in case you have time to correct it!

• Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
    is it weird that I am starting to feel bad for these guys?

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    i just donated .01...

which is bigger than the % chance of this happening
  • Options
    lolobugg said:

:-?

:-B

(no verbosity for me today!)
  • Options
    nocode85nocode85 Posts: 133
    Alright, I'm gonna go ahead and go against the grain here and support these guys. Sure, it might be a long shot. It might not happen. But can you really fault these guys for TRYING something? This is a huge undertaking and if it works, awesome. If not, so what? Everyone gets their money back and life goes on. We'll catch them on the next tour. I think the venue looks cool and I've never been to NYC, would love to make this the reason for my first visit! I say: good luck!
    St. Louis '00, St. Louis '03, St. Louis '04, Chicago '06, LA '06, Chicago '07, D.C. '08, Chicago '09, St. Louis '10, East Troy '11(1), East Troy '11(2), Atlanta '12, Chicago '13, Oklahoma City '13, St. Louis '14, Moline '14, Milwaukee '14, Lexington '16, Chicago '16, Chicago '16
  • Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    nocode85 said:

Alright, I'm gonna go ahead and go against the grain here and support these guys. Sure, it might be a long shot. It might not happen. But can you really fault these guys for TRYING something? This is a huge undertaking and if it works, awesome. If not, so what? Everyone gets their money back and life goes on. We'll catch them on the next tour. I think the venue looks cool and I've never been to NYC, would love to make this the reason for my first visit! I say: good luck!

I don't have a problem with the idea. Passion for PJ is always cool. It's more about their attitude and the shit they say that's comical to me.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,540
    I still think it is unnecessary and a waste of time, but I can't judge what a waste of time is after all the merch lines I stood in. I'm done talking about it. If they can get it done then good for them and the fans that go.
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    lolobugg said:

So when do we donate logan? U know we're gonna end up going if this happens, so we mite as well give them our $$$$. =))
  • Options
    badbrains said:

lolobugg said:

So when do we donate logan? U know we're gonna end up going if this happens, so we mite as well give them our $$$$. =))
    www.pearljamforesthills.com

Click pledge on the menu bar!

Thanks to all for their support and at least hearing us out. We have a lot of info on the site.

" In New York as they say how the f*** ya doin'?" -Ed MSG 1 03

--
    MSG 1 '98 - MSG 1+2 '03 - Reading,PA '04 - Borgata 1 '05 - Continental Arena 1+2 '06 - Lollapalooza Chicago,IL '07-MSG 1+2 08, Mansfield 1 08, Beacon Theatre 08. MSG 1 10,PJ20 Alpine Valley, Atlanta 2012, Brooklyn 1+2 2013, Hartford 2013, Seattle 2013, Memphis 2014
  • Options
    10pm is the time I go to sleep on a work night, not the curfew for a pearl jam concert. Lol
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    edited November 2014
    nocode85 said:

It never hurts to try.... but good execution is kind of key.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    nocode85 said:

Honestly, it's too much, too soon. They just finished a series of tours in which they really, REALLY went all out for the fans. They go their ways to rest and be with their families and boom, more demands by the fans...Asking them to play a questionable venue 10 miles from a venue they played twice in this touring cycle. When is enough enough? Wouldn't this be more fitting in 2015, after they have had at least 1 entire month off the road, and in a location which isn't SURE to be on their next touring cycle? It's just asking too much Blood from guys who bleed for us by choice.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Can we all please stop with the "let the band rest" remarks? We're talking about a band that DOESNT have to tour for 17 months straight to promote an album. They play 2 weeks at a time people. NOT to many bands get that luxury.
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    badbrains said:

Can we all please stop with the "let the band rest" remarks? We're talking about a band that DOESNT have to tour for 17 months straight to promote an album. They play 2 weeks at a time people. NOT to many bands get that luxury.

This and quite frankly if the band wants to rest they will! It's funny that there is a thought out there that the band would do something if they didn't want to.

Being "in demand" is what being a successful band is all about. We need to stop worrying that it puts too much pressure on them. They're big boys. It's far more complimentary than it is some sort of vexing problem.

I've said this a few times already so I will be quiet about it now. Promise!
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    edited November 2014
    I believe people are looking at it from the standpoint that us fans are a collective mass. This thing claims to be the voice of the fans and is urging the band to do this show for the good of us, their crew and "The World". That doesnt really speak for all of us and the majority of us dont want to sound like an entitled bunch and/or ungrateful. This guy I believe said in the past that once they get to $100K they will contact band management and "demand" an answer.

Of course the band will do or not do "what they want". I hope though that they catch wind of this and if they dont have any intentions on doing this, they put out a statement and quash it ASAP.

And if they do one, these things are going to pop up like weeds and some folks will be scammed
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    Me, I'm not worried for them - why would I be? They're big boys and not the delicate flowers mentioned earlier.

(well, maybe Boom is)

I just try to put myself in their shoes. "Do this, play here, sing this song".

Fuck me in my brain!
  • Options
    Red Mosquito75Red Mosquito75 Moline IL Posts: 1,034
    edited November 2014
    This sounded like a good idea. Now it has just gotten silly. We are fans not promoters. There should be no malice from anyone concerning what the guy is doing. It is fun to watch how it all unfolds. Not sure why wishlist would have wanted to do it either.
    This is Not For You
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    I'll be curious to see what peoples reaction is when Wishlist announce their own campaign for the Gorge show. Will people treat that the same as this one?
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    the part that gets me too, is right now 13 people have done the $1000 option (for what reason I have no clue)... which amounts to over 25% of the whole fund...

So how are these people going to all get $1K of pearl jam "goodies" to make them whole and from where? They get "goodies", wont the $ to acquire the "goodies" come out of the concert fund to provide to the band to put on the show, leaving them short? Is the organizer going to front the $13K?
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options

I'll be curious to see what peoples reaction is when Wishlist announce their own campaign for the Gorge show. Will people treat that the same as this one?

It depends. If it is well thought out and organized, with a nice flavor of being charitable (as opposed to greedily wanting a backyard show across the country for $80 a ticket)
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,921
    MayDay10 said:

the part that gets me too, is right now 13 people have done the $1000 option (for what reason I have no clue)... which amounts to over 25% of the whole fund...

So how are these people going to all get $1K of pearl jam "goodies" to make them whole and from where? They get "goodies", wont the $ to acquire the "goodies" come out of the pot to provide to the band to put on the show, leaving them short?

It seems that way, doesn't it?

Also, while we keep hearing this is based of the Foo Fighters in Richmond model, that campaign avoided "goodies" altogether. All anyone got was a certain number of tickets based on the size monetary size of their contribution.

https://www.foofightersrichmond.com/help-bring-the-foo-fighters-back-to-richmond-virginia

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    shepshep Houston Posts: 5,647
    badbrains said:

thank god I'm not the only one saying this...

You want to look at a band that needs rest... ask QOTSA how they feel about their tour post the like clockwork release.... that just ended over 18 months later.... or ask the black keys how they feel at the end of their turn blue world tour...

frankly PJ has it easy for a touring band that "apparently"wants to please it's fans...

no sympathy for them there...

I work 50+ hours a week, 50 weeks of the year... at a job where i can't "have a drink if I wanted one"... ppppppppppppppppffffffffffffffffttttttttttttttttttttttttttt.....
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    shep said:

badbrains said:

You want to look at a band that needs rest... ask QOTSA how they feel about their tour post the like clockwork release.... that just ended over 18 months later.... or ask the black keys how they feel at the end of their turn blue world tour...

frankly PJ has it easy for a touring band that "apparently"wants to please it's fans...

I work 50+ hours a week, 50 weeks of the year... at a job where i can't "have a drink if I wanted one"... ppppppppppppppppffffffffffffffffttttttttttttttttttttttttttt.....
    @-)
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
    shep said:

badbrains said:

QOTSA- agree
    but fuck the Black Keys
    saw them in 2002 or 2003- two albums out at the time. played 1 hour 15 minutes
    saw them again in 2004 or 2005- three albums out played for barely an hour
    for some reason saw them again around 2006/2007- fuckers played for an hour.

never saw them again or have the desire to buy anymore of their shit.
    hardly a hardworking band

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

This discussion has been closed.