Options

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE PEARL JAM FAN CROWDFUND CAMPAIGN LAUNCHES NEW WEBSITE

Comments

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,928
    callen said:

JimmyV said:

Bottom line, 10C has not shut his thread down, and Pearl Jam has not said NO to this yet.

While it is true that Pearl Jam has not, to our knowledge, said no to this, at least two previous incarnations of this thread have in fact been shutdown.

Jimmy but not due to thread topic.
    Do we know that for sure? There was bickering certainly but was it that much worse than any other thread? (It may have been. I dropped in and out so I may have missed some nastiness.)

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Brane_of_JFKBrane_of_JFK Maryland Posts: 1,900

Don't you all have better things to do with your time than rip Dan for this? I'm going to go out on a limb and say that none of you know him personally. He's a great guy. He's not trying to rip anyone off. Quite frankly, he has bigger balls than any of you posting this. I know I wouldn't want to open myself up to the kind of reaction that he's gotten. Cheers to him for wading thru this shit storm and keeping to his mission.

It's cool that you all have voiced your opinions or dissatisfaction with what he's trying to do. It's cool that you all speak for the band or think you know what they want. Bottom line, 10C has not shut his thread down, and Pearl Jam has not said NO to this yet.

Instead of ripping a really cool guy, either jump on board and support him, or leave him alone. There's enough negativity floating around that no one needs this. If you don't support him, you've voiced it already, and drop it. Move on.

Frankly, I don't think the majority of people "ripping on him" are doing so because of the actual idea to crowdfund a PJ show. They're ripping on him because of SEVERAL shady things he's done thus far including not seemingly having any kind of plan outside raising the funds, changing the goal several times, CC mishap and basically ripping Wishlist himself. You can't just jump into this and make it up as you go along...
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,570
    edited November 2014
    But I like to talk about shit. Other people do too. Let us have our conversation.

I'm sure Dan is a very nice guy. That actually has nothing to do with it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682

Don't you all have better things to do with your time than rip Dan for this? I'm going to go out on a limb and say that none of you know him personally. He's a great guy. He's not trying to rip anyone off. Quite frankly, he has bigger balls than any of you posting this. I know I wouldn't want to open myself up to the kind of reaction that he's gotten. Cheers to him for wading thru this shit storm and keeping to his mission.

It's cool that you all have voiced your opinions or dissatisfaction with what he's trying to do. It's cool that you all speak for the band or think you know what they want. Bottom line, 10C has not shut his thread down, and Pearl Jam has not said NO to this yet.

Instead of ripping a really cool guy, either jump on board and support him, or leave him alone. There's enough negativity floating around that no one needs this. If you don't support him, you've voiced it already, and drop it. Move on.

Frankly, I don't think the majority of people "ripping on him" are doing so because of the actual idea to crowdfund a PJ show. They're ripping on him because of SEVERAL shady things he's done thus far including not seemingly having any kind of plan outside raising the funds, changing the goal several times, CC mishap and basically ripping Wishlist himself. You can't just jump into this and make it up as you go along...
    Exactly
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    JimmyV said:

callen said:

JimmyV said:

Bottom line, 10C has not shut his thread down, and Pearl Jam has not said NO to this yet.

While it is true that Pearl Jam has not, to our knowledge, said no to this, at least two previous incarnations of this thread have in fact been shutdown.

Jimmy but not due to thread topic.
    Do we know that for sure? There was bickering certainly but was it that much worse than any other thread? (It may have been. I dropped in and out so I may have missed some nastiness.)

Hey don't know for sure but this threads been allowed to continue and no reference when shut down.

Just my thoughts but band may be tickled at this effort.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    I guess it was a good lesson to learn that any one of us can be quoted in the newspaper at anytime! :-))

• Options
    callen said:

callen said:

callen said:

Hahahaha!! I love you Shep!! ;-) no pussy footing around THAT subject!

Several people have made some great points regarding this band doing things.
    POINT ONE: while everyone in the band has major weight in on things, Ed says yes or no. And he is very stubborn, I've trained MULES that gave easier in the end, than what it must be like to get that man to sway on a decided topic!
    POINT TWO: yeah they do two week runs at a stretch these days, cause they are not assholes to their families.. And quite frankly, they have earned that right. Get over it, we had our chance to go see 100 shows a year in 2000-2006, or whatever, I missed all that due to obligation to MY family( stupid mom! Jk mom!).
    POINT THREE: these guys do shit tons for us as fans, that no where NEAR half the other bands on this planet will do for THEIR fans; whom are probably just as greedy and asinine as we are as a whole! But unlike PJ, they don't give a fuck! ( note not every PJ is a greedy fuck.. Some if us get that the band owes us nothing, and are happy for what we do get.. But that seems to be diminishing).
    POINT FOUR: as I stated before, I don't think this guy is doing any harm in trying to do this; however many people are correct in pointing out that once accomplished idiots from around the globe will be launching campaigns.. And that will get ultra stupid, where as this whole debacle is only ridiculous. This guy is not an asshole, just an asshat for thinking this can be done without planning, preparation, proper recourse, or even a fucking CLUE, as to what he's doing. I laugh everytime I think of this thing, cause there's no way this is happening by Oct. of next year!! And definitely not for the mere 500,000 raised if raised at all. I DO commend your effort Dan.. You're fighting a stupid battle really hard.. Imagine what you could do with something that was possible! You're like a human Pit Bull! And, for the most part, that's good.. But most Pit Bulls that latch onto the wrong thing end up getting killed.. And figuratively, that's where I see this going. Sorry but it's the honest to God's truth. You have no fuckjng clue what you're doing.. And you prove that with every single statement. If you had some real and actual help, from people that work in these fields, you might pull this off.. Maybe hire a real promoter?? A real fielding agent?? Cause your foot work here is very sloppy, like sucker mud, or New Mexican Red Mud.. All over the place and dangerous. Sorry but that is the reality. But your tenacity is commendable.

Agree with most of this, though when it comes to trying to get answers to questions his tenacity (i.e. ability to ignore said questions) is as irritating as it is impressive
    MYbe because no matter what he would say there would be a computer expert with nothing better to do than criticize more. 10 club has to ignore some of the inquiries cause it gets out of hand.

Is this what it's like to be on Facebook. Arghhhh
    What has the Ten Club got to do with this? Are you comparing the two???
    No, comparing reactions of ten members to anything on this board. Negativity. Stickers again, not enough copies , not enough tour dates, etc etc. Dude that's attempting this has fortitude to want to open himself up like this.

I see. So we're back to the party line that says any questions relating to this campaign are to be brushed aside as mere 'negativity', not worthy of being addressed
    Hardly.

So your in Ireland, if all your concerns were answered to your satisfaction would donate, buy airline tickets hotel and attend?
    And to answer this question (wouldn't want you thinking I was ignoring it!), it's possible. I was just over in America for the recent tour. Kinda hard to say when you have know idea when it will be, but I don't think my questions should be discounted just cos i'm Irish!
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388

Agree not perfect but heck when PJ does things there are fk ups. It's a chance no doubt. Your taking a chance but the ripping just appears typical human negative behavior.

10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,570
    JimmyV said:

I guess it was a good lesson to learn that any one of us can be quoted in the newspaper at anytime! :-))

Yeah, that's for sure. It never occurred to me that such a thing would ever happen, lol. Makes you think about what you say around here!
    :))
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    JimmyV said:

Shouldn't you have to sign a waiver for that? ;)
  • Options
    callen said:

Agree not perfect but heck when PJ does things there are fk ups. It's a chance no doubt. Your taking a chance but the ripping just appears typical human negative behavior.

Of course, but you've failed to acknowledge the blatantly obvious (and preventable) mistakes he's made. Again, from the outside looking in, it appears he's just raising money for this to happen. Does he actually think that handing over a check to PJ will get them to play there?? He has danced around and ignored perfectly legitimate questions (asked both on here and FB) like a crafty politician, and deleted anyone who questioned anything on the FB page.

I'm sorry, but that is the opposite way you want to handle a situation like this, especially when you're dealing with insane PJ fans ;)
  • Options
    Some of us are digital and others analog, but we are all always on the record!

• Options

callen said:

Of course, but you've failed to acknowledge the blatantly obvious (and preventable) mistakes he's made. Again, from the outside looking in, it appears he's just raising money for this to happen. Does he actually think that handing over a check to PJ will get them to play there?? He has danced around and ignored perfectly legitimate questions (asked both on here and FB) like a crafty politician, and deleted anyone who questioned anything on the FB page.

I'm sorry, but that is the opposite way you want to handle a situation like this, especially when you're dealing with insane PJ fans ;)
    ^^this here, exactly what i'm saying
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    edited November 2014
    And the $1,000 mystery...

You are asking people for money pledges here. You gotta have/should have answers. Probably would have helped to get some more fans to rally to start the cause and brainstorm. The unilateral way this was put forth as an effort in the name of "the fans" is certainly going to invite a lot of scrutiny and ridicule. It is not surprising. Would be better executed if it was just "Pearl Jam, please play X city or town.... 15,000 people have pledged $150 with $25 going to X charity whether or not you play... so pretty please at a venue and time of your choosing"

While some people are being a bit caustic about it. Everyone bringing forth concerns aren't just "haters" or negative.

I am sure Dan is a good dude and fan. That is a completely matter from the campaign.
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options

callen said:

We don't delete things. First night we were attacked end of story.
    " In New York as they say how the f*** ya doin'?" -Ed MSG 1 03

--
    MSG 1 '98 - MSG 1+2 '03 - Reading,PA '04 - Borgata 1 '05 - Continental Arena 1+2 '06 - Lollapalooza Chicago,IL '07-MSG 1+2 08, Mansfield 1 08, Beacon Theatre 08. MSG 1 10,PJ20 Alpine Valley, Atlanta 2012, Brooklyn 1+2 2013, Hartford 2013, Seattle 2013, Memphis 2014
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    edited November 2014
    PJ_Soul said:

I just have to say it: haven't most larger concert venues that are older than 50 years old or so hosted all those bands? It's not actually a point of interest to people that The Who and Hendrix and The Beatles played there. They played all over the place. All over the country and all over the world. They all played where I live too. It doesn't make the old venue with no bathrooms that happens to be a stone's throw away from your house any more appealing to people. IMHO.

Also, doesn't PJ charge $500K to play a private show, which this will be? Not sure how your goal of $500K+ is going to be enough. I guess just hoping that PJ will give you a good deal?

This is exactly what I was thinking. I've never paid any attention to this venue in the past. I bet the Who has played a lot of the places that PJ has played since. The organizers could just admit they picked it because it's close to where they live, would that make everyone happy? It's not a big deal. The curfew seems like the bigger deal, unless it's going to be a festival type atmosphere and PJ takes the stage at 6:45.

I thought the band got $2 Million for playing the Oracle thing a couple years ago...? Granted that was a corporate party and this is "for the fans" and the world and all that. But I don't think you can get Pearl Jam & their crew out of bed for $500K much less all the way to Queens. The thing that bugs me is this is basically a New York show and they ALWAYS play NY. Hell, 2013 and 2014 back to back even. The Foo Fighters thing was different because if I recall they hadn't played that area in forever, or maybe ever? It would be the same as crowdfunding for a Philly show or Chicago, or anywhere else they play constantly.

Also the Foo Fighters do random, cool stuff such as playing in someone's garage when Wasting Light came out. I don't see PJ doing that, or anything similar to that. They have away a ticket to a 90 person charity show, but they didn't come play in the contest winner's garage. You know?
    Post edited by High Fidelity 2000 on
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    I don't live nearby anymore.

--
    MSG 1 '98 - MSG 1+2 '03 - Reading,PA '04 - Borgata 1 '05 - Continental Arena 1+2 '06 - Lollapalooza Chicago,IL '07-MSG 1+2 08, Mansfield 1 08, Beacon Theatre 08. MSG 1 10,PJ20 Alpine Valley, Atlanta 2012, Brooklyn 1+2 2013, Hartford 2013, Seattle 2013, Memphis 2014
  • Options

I don't live nearby anymore.

You don't live in New York? Just asking.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

• Options

callen said:

So dozens of people are lying saying they asked questions and were removed from the FB page??
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,717

callen said:

So dozens of people are lying saying they asked questions and were removed from the FB page??
    Attacked ???

:))
  • Options
    They were removed the first night and we apologized profusely for that. They even joined our group again and got their own questions answered. They need to start letting it go I'm sorry. If we lost you we lost you, now let us move on.

--
  • Options

They were removed the first night and we apologized profusely for that. They even joined our group again and got their own questions answered. They need to start letting it go I'm sorry. If we lost you we lost you, now let us move on.

Understood, but no explanation has been given (that I've seen) as to why they were removed and the questions went unanswered...
  • Options
    BCBABCBA Utah with the mailman Posts: 220
    edited November 2014
    I have a question.

What is going to be the $1000 in goodies? I see you were in an article promising "rare vinyl and posters". Do you have any examples of a package that would go to a $1000 pledge? Do you have these items on hand? If not, is there a definite source lined up for free rare vinyl/posters?
  • Options
    BCBA said:

I have a question.

What is going to be the $1000 in goodies? I see you were in an article promising "rare vinyl and posters". Do you have any examples of a package that would go to a $1000 pledge? Do you have these items on hand? If not, is there a definite source lined up for free rare vinyl/posters?

Just try to minimize the EV postcard shirts and it shouldn't be too bad... :)

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Thats what I keep saying. A big difference between having some Bennys, Lost Dogs, Binaurals, Avocados, PJ20 Billboards, etc... vs providing 30 "common" T-shirts or 40 Lightning Bolt CDs. I would think people might be very upset (if they are even allowed to be upset after pledging $ with so little info) if they are disappointed.
    Also still curious as to what/who is going to fund >$10,000 worth of "rare" merch at this point of the campaign only at $50K. If the campaign grows to the requisite amounts, Im sure there will be a tab much, much greater than the $10K.

As far as I know, there havent been any answers to that stuff.
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527

Understood, but no explanation has been given (that I've seen) as to why they were removed and the questions went unanswered...

I say keep being honest, do some SERIOUS research, cause this is a major undertaking, have professional help on the ready, and start looking into all your permits,etcetera, NOW, because those things can take forever!! I actually feel like helping you guys now, but you'd have to take this much more seriously. You're dealing with people's personal financial info.. And that can have serious serious repercussions! Like I said, your tenacity is commendable. And your balls must weigh 20lbsapeice if you can withstand all this insanity. I might even talk to some friends about this.. But only if you agree to do this shit on point! There'sa ton of legal issues you have to look at.
    Most notably the CC debacle. PM me if you would like some advice.
  • Options
    I gave $ for 2 tickets , hope it happens ! I Really can't believe people put so much energy and thought into pointing out every fault and mistake instead of maybe trying to help out .
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
    kb272930 said:

I gave $ for 2 tickets , hope it happens ! I Really can't believe people put so much energy and thought into pointing out every fault and mistake instead of maybe trying to help out .

Its the typical after tour shit. People are broke and bored and looking for something to throw their time and energies into.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    kb272930 said:

I Really can't believe people put so much energy and thought into pointing out every fault and mistake instead of maybe trying to help out .

Having people point out holes and shortcomings and not ignoring/dismissing criticism as "being negative" is the best way to improve.

I run a fantasy football keeper league. It has been 11 years and the rules have had holes/work-arounds, etc exposed and we alter the thing pretty much yearly. Now it is nearly an airtight system because everyone collectively looking at all the angles.

You put something like this out and ask people to put up money, you should have as few holes in the bow as possible.
  • Options

I say keep being honest, do some SERIOUS research, cause this is a major undertaking, have professional help on the ready, and start looking into all your permits,etcetera, NOW, because those things can take forever!! I actually feel like helping you guys now, but you'd have to take this much more seriously. You're dealing with people's personal financial info.. And that can have serious serious repercussions! Like I said, your tenacity is commendable. And your balls must weigh 20lbsapeice if you can withstand all this insanity. I might even talk to some friends about this.. But only if you agree to do this shit on point! There'sa ton of legal issues you have to look at.
    Most notably the CC debacle. PM me if you would like some advice.
    We don't have people's credit card info, our vendor does and they have done successful campaigns for the likes of Microsoft, Foo Fighters etc. We are as serious as can be and who's to say we aren't doing this stuff now? There are things we can't talk about, we are not being deceptive that's just the way it is. People assume way too much about everything.

--
This discussion has been closed.