Options

To the guy who discreetly asked if he could smoke weed....

2»

Comments

• Options
    Will.I.AmWill.I.Am Posts: 17
    edited October 2014

It is a concert after all. It sounds to me like he was just giving you a heads up. Kind of like hey dude, you probably need to take your kid on a piss break. Cuz I'm about to spark up.

I agree with you though, pretty classless.

I was 11 when I went to PJ20 and a lady in front of us told my mom she should take me to the bathroom because she was going to smoke a joint. Why should I have to leave? I was there to see Pearl Jam, not the bathroom because some lady was uncomfortable smoking near me. Maybe she should take a piss break.
    Post edited by Will.I.Am on
  • Options
    sheckyshecky San Francisco Posts: 1,441
    You are definitely very knowledgeable on this subject and very well spoken as well.
    I do however disagree with your statement: "The negative effects of marijuana are very subtle and therefore harder to quantify...less to be concerned with as well."
    And my disagreement is from a psychological point of view, not medical.
    I think it's well known that chronic use of pot can have a very negative effect on a person's ambition and quest for achievement , especially when a person begins use at a very young age.
    To me, that's very concerning and I think it would be to our society as well.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,559
    I'm not sure I see the correlation between someone having a quick hoot at a concert near a teenager and the psycho-socio affects of chronic marijuana use.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,191
    Will.I.Am said:

It is a concert after all. It sounds to me like he was just giving you a heads up. Kind of like hey dude, you probably need to take your kid on a piss break. Cuz I'm about to spark up.

I was 11 when I went to PJ20 and a lady in front of us told my mom she should take me to the bathroom because she was going to smoke a joint. Why should I have to leave? I was there to see Pearl Jam, not the bathroom because some lady was uncomfortable smoking near me. Maybe she should take a piss break.
    "More open pissers and open shitters over here" -Alpine Valley Restroom Attendant

and sorry to the guy in the ATL whose bowl I dropped back in 2000....
    but you passed it to me with that sucker blazing hot and with the wrong end.
    give a brother a heads up first. thanks

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    Black73Black73 Posts: 1,018
    Will.I.Am said:

I agree with you, young man. I have taken my sons to a handful of PJ shows, and don't mind if people want to smoke around us. I have talked with both boys about what they are going to see (and smell), so it was a great opportunity to educate them on the topic. I do mind, however, when people are uncomfortable and ask others to sacrifice on their behalf so they can smoke during the show. As the OP mentioned, if the smoker asks, we are good with that...and we'll have another conversation after the show about people minding their manners.
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810

Slow day on the Porch. Sheesh! Haha!!

=))
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,229
    While I don't really "ask" for people's permission around me to light up at a show I do survey my surroundings to see who's around me before I spark up. If there aren't any kids around I generally just give everyone a heads up that I'll be burning one down. If kids are around I either wait until they're out of sight or I just take a quick bathroom break myself.
  • Options
    Black73Black73 Posts: 1,018

While I don't really "ask" for people's permission around me to light up at a show I do survey my surroundings to see who's around me before I spark up. If there aren't any kids around I generally just give everyone a heads up that I'll be burning one down. If kids are around I either wait until they're out of sight or I just take a quick bathroom break myself.

Either way, it's cool. My sons and I know what we're in for: an awesome performance and a little left-handed smoke! Considerate smokers are appreciated...it's the folks that ask the kids to leave that puzzle me.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    rgambs said:

shecky said:

I was referring to the potential effect of pot smoke on a 14-year old's still developing brain.
    The OP stated that the very considerate pot smoker was standing directly behind him & his son.

Again, the amount of secondhand pot smoke a person experiences in an arena is trivial, and the detriment to a "still developing brain" is negligible. Daily use of deodorant exposes a 14 year old to worse toxins, and in greater amounts!
    :D:D

Great perspective gambs.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    edited October 2014
    Marijuana was made a schedule one because Richard Nixon didn't want our troops coming home from Vietnam "addicted" to it like they were with heroin. It really didn't have anything to do with scientific evidence.
  • Options
    Will.I.Am said:

I didn't say you did have to go to the bathroom because someone was getting high.
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,879
    Philly 2009. I'm 23 years old at the time and I go to night 4 with my mom. The guy next to me offers me pot. I say no. He offers me again a few songs later. I again say no thanks. Finally, the third time he asks, I point and say "that's my mom". I guess he didn't catch what I meant by that because he nods his head like he understands me, then proceeds to lean over me and offer my mom pot as well. Dude, I was not telling you my mom wanted some! hahaha
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options

Philly 2009. I'm 23 years old at the time and I go to night 4 with my mom. The guy next to me offers me pot. I say no. He offers me again a few songs later. I again say no thanks. Finally, the third time he asks, I point and say "that's my mom". I guess he didn't catch what I meant by that because he nods his head like he understands me, then proceeds to lean over me and offer my mom pot as well. Dude, I was not telling you my mom wanted some! hahaha

Maybe he thought he heard you say "dude, ask my mom!"
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    callen said:

rgambs said:

shecky said:

I was referring to the potential effect of pot smoke on a 14-year old's still developing brain.
    The OP stated that the very considerate pot smoker was standing directly behind him & his son.

Again, the amount of secondhand pot smoke a person experiences in an arena is trivial, and the detriment to a "still developing brain" is negligible. Daily use of deodorant exposes a 14 year old to worse toxins, and in greater amounts!
    :D:D

Great perspective gambs.
    Another option is to vapourize at concerts. A positive byproduct is that most people are curious about why my 'smoking' apparatus has an LCD display, and I can happily explain to them about how my device will provide them with over 80% THC, instead of over 80% impurities such as carbon (since the activation temperature of THC is far lower than combustion, much of the THC becomes combustion byproducts before reaching your system - hence, smoking is a fairly inefficient and unhealthy way to get high). Sometimes you just want that unhealthy burning up sensation that a good joint or hit from the bong will give you, but other times it's a great way to go.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options

Yep. And it made an awkward situation so much worse haha.
    severed hand thirteen

• Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    Smoke weed everyday.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957

I've got to know, if you weren't there with your mom you would've smoked that shit, right? :))
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938

Granted I don't know your mother, but maybe she wanted some!

All throughout high school, my room overlooked my parents' balcony. I'd wait until their lights went off so that I knew it was safe to get high. It wasn't until a few years later that I found out my dad was going out onto the balcony, waiting until my bedroom light was off so he knew it was safe to get high. Now we smoke joints together on the balcony.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,559
    Pretty sure my mom wouldn't care if I smoked some weed in front of her at a concert. She knows I'm an adult!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,438

Funniest thing I've read all year. Thats a great story!
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,307

If I'm at an indoor concert I always ask if it's ok to light up to everyone around me before I do , if anyone objects I abide by their wish ..

JOSE!
    Yes :)
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,302
    happy halloween
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    I usually just have my small glass one hitter and don't exhale..I get super ripped and no one around me smells anything..except for the occasional uncontrollable exhale when you try and hold it in and you can't and snots come pouring out of your nose...lol
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    edited October 2014
    Wma31394 said:

I usually just have my small glass one hitter and don't exhale..I get super ripped and no one around me smells anything..except for the occasional uncontrollable exhale when you try and hold it in and you can't and snots come pouring out of your nose...lol

=)) I think I've seen you at shows before =))
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,717

brilliant
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,739
    shecky said:

You are definitely very knowledgeable on this subject and very well spoken as well.
    I do however disagree with your statement: "The negative effects of marijuana are very subtle and therefore harder to quantify...less to be concerned with as well."
    And my disagreement is from a psychological point of view, not medical.
    I think it's well known that chronic use of pot can have a very negative effect on a person's ambition and quest for achievement , especially when a person begins use at a very young age.
    To me, that's very concerning and I think it would be to our society as well.

This is bullshit, I know many people who have been toking since they were teenagers and continue to this day. Educated, employed, productive members of society and their communities.
    This statement is as uninformed as the decision to classify pot as a schedule one in the US was.
    If people are lazy or unambitious(which can also be two different things) that is in their character not their pot use.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options

I've got to know, if you weren't there with your mom you would've smoked that shit, right? :))
    I plead the fifth hahaha
    benjs said:

Granted I don't know your mother, but maybe she wanted some!

All throughout high school, my room overlooked my parents' balcony. I'd wait until their lights went off so that I knew it was safe to get high. It wasn't until a few years later that I found out my dad was going out onto the balcony, waiting until my bedroom light was off so he knew it was safe to get high. Now we smoke joints together on the balcony.
    Hmmm not that I know of..... but you never know!
    on2legs said:

Funniest thing I've read all year. Thats a great story!
    I don't know why I waited 5 years to post that
    severed hand thirteen

• Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    shecky said:

rgambs said:

shecky said:

And again, I'm not referring to toxins in the pot smoke - I'm referring to the active ingredient, THC.
    Admittedly, I'm not a doctor so I can't confirm or dispute your claim that "the detriment to a still developing brain is negligible" but we really don't know that yet.
    And if it's an "all ages allowed" concert, than a 14-year old has a right to be there without being exposed to second hand pot smoke.
    After all, no matter what one's stance is on pot, it is illegal to smoke it (or cigs) in a public place.
    Let's look out for our next generation.

If you sign up to attend a rock show, specifically a PJ show where at the least the lead singer is very vocal about his support for pot, you should expect to see drunk people and smell weed. You are not obligated to partake in either, but if you don't want to smell weed, dont go to a rock concert. I remember smelling pot at shows years before I ever tried smoking... Didnt bother me then, definitely doesn't bother me now.
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    You guys need more shows to go to.
    www.cluthelee.com