Options

To the guy who discreetly asked if he could smoke weed....

behind us at Milwaukee concert (my 14 year old son was with me)

Classy move. Thanks for doing that. Hope you enjoyed the concert.

Comments

• Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    How very thoughtful. :)
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    What was your answer?
  • Options
    hedonist said:

What was your answer?

"pass it forward please"!?!

• Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    edited October 2014
    It is a concert after all. It sounds to me like he was just giving you a heads up. Kind of like hey dude, you probably need to take your kid on a piss break. Cuz I'm about to spark up.

I agree with you though, pretty classless.
  • Options
    I said no problem. I was not being sarcastic about it. I really thought it was great he asked.
  • Options
    shepshep Houston Posts: 5,648

I said no problem. I was not being sarcastic about it. I really thought it was great he asked.

nice. i would say he was being pretty respectful... i mean he asked. it is a concert after all... might be a little different if he was breaking out lines behind you....
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options

Except when I was a teenager myself, I haven't had kids around me at shows. Have burned one down at each one too.

It is a nice gesture to ask; honestly, I'm not sure I'd have even thought about doing so.

Did your son notice or ask about it? Kind of a good age (not to mention opportunity) to open the door to that conversation if not already done.
  • Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    hedonist said:

Except when I was a teenager myself, I haven't had kids around me at shows. Have burned one down at each one too.

It is a nice gesture to ask; honestly, I'm not sure I'd have even thought about doing so.

Did your son notice or ask about it? Kind of a good age (not to mention opportunity) to open the door to that conversation if not already done.
    this

aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    sheckyshecky San Francisco Posts: 1,441
    That was a classy and thoughtful move - and I wish it would become the norm.
    Not everyone at a concert wants to be or should be inhaling second hand pot smoke - especially a 14 year old kid.
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    ^^ +1
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Slow day on the Porch. Sheesh! Haha!!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Sounds nice to me :)
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661

Lol. I took that the wrong way. Where's the over your head smiley?
  • Options
    Dead Man WalkingDead Man Walking Toronto-ish Posts: 2,761
    edited October 2014
    I was 14 at my first Pearl Jam show. I remember my shirt absolutely reeking of weed the next day. Funny though, I don't remember smelling it during the show.

I think it's great that he asked. Definitely above and beyond considerng the person bringing the 14 year old should know what to expect at a show (not you specifically, just people bringing young teens in general).
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    did your son say, pops you mind if i take a haul??? hehehe j'k

cool move by the guy asking.... hope you and your son had great time at the show.
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,559
    I started smoking weed myself when I was 13, so this is all just a bit odd to me, but that does sound polite of him. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    It's weed. You let your kids watch you drink. Yeah, that was cool and great shout out, but what's the big deal?

If he starts mainlining, you should be warned if you're with your kid.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    shecky said:

Not everyone at a concert wants to be or should be inhaling second hand pot smoke - especially a 14 year old kid.

The food they sell at concession is more harmful than secondhand pot smoke in a huge arena.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,559
    rgambs said:

shecky said:

The food they sell at concession is more harmful than secondhand pot smoke in a huge arena.
    Very true.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    I was referring to the potential effect of pot smoke on a 14-year old's still developing brain.
    The OP stated that the very considerate pot smoker was standing directly behind him & his son.
  • Options

behind us at Milwaukee concert (my 14 year old son was with me)

Classy move. Thanks for doing that. Hope you enjoyed the concert.

My last pay check was $9500 working 12 hours a week online. My sisters friend has been averaging 15k for months now and she works about 20 hours a week. I can't believe how easy it was once I tried it out. This is what I do,
    w­ww.jobsfin.cℴm
    Definitely a hack job.

But just in case it isnt....

Is your sisters friend hot?
    :D

Fake hack.

Fack?

• Options
    shecky said:

I was referring to the potential effect of pot smoke on a 14-year old's still developing brain.
    The OP stated that the very considerate pot smoker was standing directly behind him & his son.

Again, the amount of secondhand pot smoke a person experiences in an arena is trivial, and the detriment to a "still developing brain" is negligible. Daily use of deodorant exposes a 14 year old to worse toxins, and in greater amounts!
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,307
    If I'm at an indoor concert I always ask if it's ok to light up to everyone around me before I do , if anyone objects I abide by their wish ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,302

If I'm at an indoor concert I always ask if it's ok to light up to everyone around me before I do , if anyone objects I abide by their wish ..

JOSE!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    rgambs said:

shecky said:

Again, the amount of secondhand pot smoke a person experiences in an arena is trivial, and the detriment to a "still developing brain" is negligible. Daily use of deodorant exposes a 14 year old to worse toxins, and in greater amounts!
    And again, I'm not referring to toxins in the pot smoke - I'm referring to the active ingredient, THC.
    Admittedly, I'm not a doctor so I can't confirm or dispute your claim that "the detriment to a still developing brain is negligible" but we really don't know that yet.
    And if it's an "all ages allowed" concert, than a 14-year old has a right to be there without being exposed to second hand pot smoke.
    After all, no matter what one's stance is on pot, it is illegal to smoke it (or cigs) in a public place.
    Let's look out for our next generation.

• Options
    I am all for discretion, one doesn't need to smoke at all to enjoy THC in such a setting. That being said, I think we are looking out for our next generation by stopping the spread of misinformation in a topic where the misinformation itself leads to a restriction in research into the positive and negative effects.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

I am all for discretion, one doesn't need to smoke at all to enjoy THC in such a setting. That being said, I think we are looking out for our next generation by stopping the spread of misinformation in a topic where the misinformation itself leads to a restriction in research into the positive and negative effects.

No offense, but I'm not aware of any restrictions on research into the positive and negative effects of THC.
    On the contrary, there probably has been more research done on the effects of THC in the last several years than ever before and that is a very good and valuable thing, IMO.

• Options
    shecky said:

rgambs said:

No offense, but I'm not aware of any restrictions on research into the positive and negative effects of THC.
    On the contrary, there probably has been more research done on the effects of THC in the last several years than ever before and that is a very good and valuable thing, IMO.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/end-the-ban-on-psychoactive-drug-research/

No offense, but you are not very informed on the topic. Marijuana is a schedule 1 drug and the potential medicinal effects have not been studied by the scientific community at large, due to its strict illegality. Marijuana is classed by our government as more dangerous than cocaine, methamphetamines, oxycodone, and fentanyl, among others...all of which are far more dangerous and result in deaths each year, which marijuana has never been confirmed to have done.
  • Options
    Very interesting article you cited, thank you for the link.
    I stand corrected on the research issue.
    I wrongly assumed that since 23 states (including Washington, D.C.) currently have laws allowing the use of medical marijuana it must have been the result of increased research into the effects of marijuana, both positive and negative.
    I may be even more concerned now.

• Options
    shecky said:

Very interesting article you cited, thank you for the link.
    I stand corrected on the research issue.
    I wrongly assumed that since 23 states (including Washington, D.C.) currently have laws allowing the use of medical marijuana it must have been the result of increased research into the effects of marijuana, both positive and negative.
    I may be even more concerned now.

I can see why you would feel that way but some research into medical marijuana states will show it hasn't been measurably detrimental to the states in which it has existed for a decade or so.
    The negative effects are much harder to ascertain than the positive effects, as the positive effects are easily observed and measured. The negative effects of marijuana are very subtle and therefore harder to quantify...less to be concerned with as well. Think of acetaminophen or aspirin,it is difficult to say exactly how dangerous they are, but easy to see what benefits they provide.