Options

Jerusalem Post/Ben Red Completely Off Base In Criticism of Eddie and Pearl Jam

Comments

• Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124

JimmyV said:

I understand, but I'm glad its on the main page. More eyes to see it and voices to weigh in.

Why can't it be on the main page of AMT instead?
    Because it is about Eddie's speech. That's a Porch topic. People who just want to talk about Israel/Palestine in general should move their comments to AMT as per my suggestion in the very first post.
  • Options

how is one thread "flooding the porch"?

Since AMT has 4 threads already it seems like this is a hot topic among that crowd.
    The porch becomes diluted when the overspill from that crowd comes on.

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,884
    If the discussion is related to Eddie and what he said, the thread should stay on the Porch. If it becomes another Israeli/Palestinian thread it should go to AMT.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    Eddie's speech is essentially the plot to Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,152
    Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder's Anti-War Rant Causes Offense In Israel

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/07/14/eddie-vedder-pearl-jam-israel_n_5584893.html

Eddie Vedder didn't specifically name a country but many are inferring it was Israel during a speech near the homestretch of a Pearl Jam gig Friday night in Britain. The Jerusalem Post reports that in the YouTube clip the band was performing "Daughter" when Vedder launched into his speech.

"No more war, no more war,” Vedder sings about three minutes and forty seconds into the clip which the audience at the Milton Keynes National Bowl repeats. "So what the f--k? What the f--k?" Vedder says. “We can have this many people having a peaceful time. We can have modern technology. We can reach our friends. They know what they're thinking before they're thinking it. The advertisers know what we're thinking before we’re thinking it. We have technology – all this in our hands.

"But at the same time that something this positive is happening, at the same f---king time, not even that far away...f---ing dropping bombs on each other. And I get, if war is the last resort, if they're coming on your soil I could get it, I get it, you don't wanna be in that situation. But I swear to f--king god, there's some people out there who are looking for a reason to kill," the famed American rocker said. "They're looking for a reason to go across borders and take over land that doesn't belong to them and they should get the f---k out, and mind their own f--king business. Everyone wants the same goddamn thing."

Vedder then went into things people everywhere want: have lives, have children. work, eat, love, draw a painting, listening to music, procreate and love.

"Everyone's the f---king same, so why are people at war? Stop the f---king s--t now! Now! Now! Now! We don't want to give them our money. They don't get our taxes to drop bombs on children. Now! No more! Now!” The singer then broke into Edwin Starr's signature "War" with the crowd singing along before ending the song on his knees.

The Jerusalem Post article added Israeli fans of the band have voiced their criticism of Vedder's comments, including Israeli disc jockey Ben Red of Israel radio station 88FM who earlier helped launch a campaign in early 2013 to bring Pearl Jam to play in the country.

"Eddie Vedder, your true face is finally being revealed," Red wrote on his Facebook page on Saturday afternoon (July 12). "You are invited not to come here. I personally do not want to see you, and I will erase the Facebook page calling on bringing (Pearl Jam) to Israel, but not before I expose who you really are."

Vedder's comments also resulted in a flurry of arguments in the comments area of the band's Facebook page between fans.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

how is one thread "flooding the porch"?

Since AMT has 4 threads already it seems like this is a hot topic among that crowd.
    The porch becomes diluted when the overspill from that crowd comes on.

That crowd? Overspill?

Oy.

Many of "that crowd" cruise and participate in other parts of this entire site.

The nerve of us, I know!
    ;)

Discussion's been mostly cool on the thread. How about leave it to the mods if there's a need to move this monster? Seems so far so good.

And BS, thank you for the laugh!
  • Options
    melissachunmelissachun Posts: 107
    When I visit this thread, I just keep hearing Eddie singing (in the most caring yet frustrated tone):
    And fuck me if I say something you don't wanna hear, fuck me
    And fuck if you only hear what you wanna hear
    Fuck me if I care,... but I'm not leaving here
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,154
    I dont get this repeat whole move the thread. to AMT forum .there are mods here and its their call what to do...like its HUGE problem not to read or ignore the thread..if someone dont care at topic dont open the thread...we are having a conversation about what the front man of the band on stage said ...his statement could be about war,about politics,about the wine,about bicycles or about kiwi the bird...
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,531

I dont get this repeat whole move the thread. to AMT forum .there are mods here and its their call what to do...like its HUGE problem not to read or ignore the thread..if someone dont care at topic dont open the thread...we are having a conversation about what the front man of the band on stage said ...his statement could be about war,about politics,about the wine,about bicycles or about kiwi the bird...

Those other topics should be in All Encompassing Trip ;)
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525

It's sad that some people's first thoughts are "move it to AMT". There is a bigger picture here - War and that it should stop - but instead you have people moaning about the placement of a thread in a forum. Bigger things going on people.

2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,154
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/neil-young-and-crazy-horse-cancel-tel-aviv-concert-20140713

Neil Young and Crazy Horse have canceled their upcoming concert in Tel Aviv over security concerns as the military situation in Israel escalates. The single show scheduled for the country was set to take place on July 17th in Hayarkon Park.
    20 Insanely Great Neil Young Songs Only Hardcore Fans Know

"It is with heavy hearts and deep sadness that we must cancel our one and only Israeli concert due to tensions which have rendered the event unsafe at this time," a representative for Young said in a statement. "We'll miss the opportunity to play for our fans and look forward to playing in Israel and Palestine in peace."

Though Young had faced pressure from activists and musicians, including Roger Waters, to boycott Israel because of its treatment of Palestinians, a police spokesman told Reuters that the show had been canceled by police "in order not to put people in Gaza rocket range at unnecessary risk." Some 30,000 people had purchased tickets to the show, which would have marked Young's first performance in Israel since the 1990s.

Young said that he will be making donations to the Louse Tillie Alpert Youth Music Center of Israel and Heartbeat, "two organizations that teach music to Palestinian and Israeli youth simultaneously by enabling them to play music together."

"...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    djklambakedjklambake PHX, AZ Posts: 2,510
    Love.

Just love.

The alternative doesn't make sense.

Just love.
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/4/12 - (Eddie Vedder) Phoenix, AZ
    11/1/13 - New Orleans, LA
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
    8/22/16 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley 2)
  • Options
    The longer this "controversy" goes, the more surprised I am that anyone who loves this band would be surprised by what Eddie said.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    JimmyV said:

The longer this "controversy" goes, the more surprised I am that anyone who loves this band would be surprised by what Eddie said.

Politics and religion. There is a reason you stay away from these topics at work and even with friends/family. You basically know each others' opinions but if you don't talk about them you get along, and when you do talk about them the arguing and hurt feelings start.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    How evil of him
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

How evil of him

I am not sure if you are responding to my comment but I was just giving my answer to why I think people are mad even when they pretty much can guess Eddie's opinion based on history.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    No, I had just read this below and I wasnt very clear.

"I personally do not want to see you, and I will erase the Facebook page calling on bringing (Pearl Jam) to Israel, but not before I expose who you really are."

• Options
    Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    MayDay10 said:

"I personally do not want to see you, and I will erase the Facebook page calling on bringing (Pearl Jam) to Israel, but not before I expose who you really are."

He's the guy who sings Who You (Really) Are?
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    MayDay10 said:

So who is the real eddie vedder?
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,924
    Why not ask the doctor DOCTOR!
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,152
    MayDay10 said:

just to clarify, those are not my words. they were quoted from the article i posted.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options

JimmyV said:

Politics and religion. There is a reason you stay away from these topics at work and even with friends/family. You basically know each others' opinions but if you don't talk about them you get along, and when you do talk about them the arguing and hurt feelings start.
    Agreed. We all know what our drunk uncle and our hippie niece are going to say. When they say it we aren't taken by surprise. I think most of us who follow Pearl Jam know what Eddie Vedder is going to say on the topic of war. He has been saying similar things publicly for 20+ years. Yet many are surprised by this particular outburst.

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,937
    edited July 2014
    badbrains said:

MayDay10 said:

So who is the real eddie vedder?
    Will the real Eddie Vedder please stand up? Yes, you heard me right, sit back down, Mr. Crowe.

Post edited by benjs on
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,122
    Howard Stern ripped Ed today...as well as Dwight Howard, Rihanna....and " that guy" in Pink Floyd ( Roger Waters) who Howard kissed his ass a few months ago when he was on the show.

I love Howard, but his rush to judgement on this issue is a lil off-putting.

The one common theme I see here ( bury this in AMT,etc) and there( certain media outlets condemning opinions without knowing the true essence) is that a some people dont want any light shined upon certain issues...my question is why not? This is FASCISM at its best....you dont like someones opinion....why Vilify them in a way that makes any valid points you might have on a subject become null and void? Your credibility flys out the window...what is Ed's Agenda in this mess?? to see less people loss their lives?

the world is truly insane
  • Options
    Ed is a major shareholder and controlling partner in hugs
  • Options
    aennilaennil Posts: 415
    I'm a little confused. Can someone explain to me why/how US tax money goes to Israel? Eddies said that he doesn't want tax money to go to bombs, and it seems like a lot of people here concludes that means the bombs that Israel are throwing. But why would USA pay for other countries bombs?
    ...sorry, i'm not from the US, so i don't know much about how you guys use your tax money....
  • Options
    aennil said:

I'm a little confused. Can someone explain to me why/how US tax money goes to Israel? Eddies said that he doesn't want tax money to go to bombs, and it seems like a lot of people here concludes that means the bombs that Israel are throwing. But why would USA pay for other countries bombs?
    ...sorry, i'm not from the US, so i don't know much about how you guys use your tax money....

It is truly happening. I'm from the US but I couldn't begin to explain it because I don't remotely understand it. Maybe it made sense after 1967 or in the culture of the Cold War but it certainly doesn't make sense anymore.

• Options
    fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    aennil said:

The US gives Israel over $3 billion a year in military aid.
  • Options
    aennilaennil Posts: 415
    ^^
    thanks "JimmyV" and "fuck"....
    i still don't understand why, but that is a lot of money!
  • Options
    Haven't seen his actual words quoted in awhile so I will repost them here (with a hat tip to @BinFrog). Days later, still not about Israel.
    BinFrog said:

"“What the fuck? We have this many people having a peaceful time, we can have modern technology, we can reach our friends, they know what we’re thinking it. The advertisers know what we’re thinking before we’re thinking it. We have technology, all of this in our hand. But at the same time as something this positive is happening, at the same fucking time, not even that far away, dropping bombs on each other. What the fucking fuck? And I get if war is the last resort, you don’t want to be in that situation. But I swear to fucking God, there are some people out there looking for a reason to kill. They’re looking for a reason to go across borders and take over land that doesn't belong to them. They should get the fuck out, and mind their own fucking business!

He added, “Eat, procreate, draw a painting, make some art, listen to music, fuck some more, have another baby, eat, work, eat, work, love, love, love. Everyone’s the fucking same, so why are people at war? Stop the fucking shit now! Now! Now! We don’t want to give them our money! They don’t get our taxes to drop bombs on children! No! No more!”"

This discussion has been closed.