Options

TOP 3 P J SONGS of ALL-TIME & Why !

123457»

Comments

• Options
    leekstokieleekstokie Stoke-on-Trent - UK Posts: 901
    1 - Black (A masterpiece and the song that began my Pearl Jam obsession)

2 - Release (Lyrically perfect and just blows me away live)

3 - Alive (As many have said on this forum, it still sounds as good now as it did when it was first released. An absolute anthem when played live)
    PJ
    2012 - Manchester 1 - 20/6 
    2014 - Amsterdam 1 - 16/6, Amsterdam 2 - 17/6, Milan - 20/6, Leeds - 08/07, Milton Keynes - 11/07
    2015 - Bogota - 25/11
    2016 - Philly 1 - 28/04, Philly 2 - 29/04, NYC 1 - 01/05, NYC 2 - 02/05
    2018 - LDN 1 - 18/06, Krakow - 03/07, Berlin - 05/07, Madrid - 12/07, LDN 2 - 17/07, Missoula 13/08
    2022 - LA 1 - 06/05, LA2 - 07/05, Berlin - 21/06, Frankfurt 28/07, London 1 - 08/07, London 2 - 09/07, Budapest - 12/07, Krakow 14/07, Amsterdam 2 - 25/07, NYC Apollo - 10/09, NYC MSG - 11/09, OKC - 20/09, Denver - 22/09.
    2023 - St Paul 2 - 03/09, Chicago 1 - 05/09, Chicago 2 - 07/09

EV
    2012 - Manchester - 28/07/12, 2017 - Amsterdam - 29/05/17, 2019 -Amsterdam - 09/06/2019, Madrid - 22/06/2019
  • Options
    3.Release- Eddie's amazing on this one the powerful voice with a vulnerability, it's an emotional experience every time
    2.elderly woman-always reminds me of old friends I haven't seen in a long time and the happiness it brings to see
    them,also renewal of self maybe ,hearts and thoughts they fade away
    1.Animal-1,2,3,4,5 against 1
    The future's paved....with better days
  • Options
    Versus13Versus13 Vancouver, BC Posts: 191
    edited March 2014
    #1: BLACK
    Simply beautiful. Brilliant musically and lyrically. Filled with pure expression. Not to mention We Belong Together gives me the chills! When ever I go to play piano this is pretty much the first song I think of.

#2: BREATH
    A flawlessly put together song that motivates me every time I hear it. The intro is one of my favourites! See it all! Oh see the worrrrrrrrrllllllld!

#3: SIRENS
    My favourite on LB! Brilliant live, I wish I was more familiar with it when I saw them play it in Pittsburgh! What a song! Composed in the perfect key
    Pittsburgh, PA 10/11/13
    Detroit, MI 10/16/14
    Tampa, FL 4/11/16
    Jacksonville, FL 4/13/16
    Toronto, ON 5/12/16
    Chicago, IL 8/22/16
    Chicago, IL 8/18/18
    Chicago, IL 8/20/18
    Boston, MA 9/4/18
    Ottawa, ON 9/3/22
    Hamilton, ON 9/6/22
    Toronto, ON 9/8/22
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    edited April 2014
    3. Alive - The song that started it all. An absolute masterpiece right from the opening riff. Ed's lyrics remind us that no matter what challenges we face in life while discovering ourselves and who we are, that living through those difficult times is what actually makes us. What doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger!

2. Dissident - Another musical masterpiece. I love how it punches you in the gut with the opening riff, takes you back down to earth, and builds you back up again. The lyrics have always reminded me of a woman finally letting go of a bad relationship, but still holding on emotionally. She feels guilt or remorse even though she knows she is better off. To me, it really showcases the nurturing manner of women, and how they often feel victim for doing the right thing because of societal pressures. That's what really gets me with this song - the dichotomy of music and lyrics. A tune that builds you up, but tells a sort of tragic story.

1. In Hiding - Because sometimes you just need to close yourself off from the evils of the world, recalibrate your mind and body, and get back out there and focus on the good! Don't beat yourself up over things you can't control. Just be the best person you can be. Whatever helps you accomplish that, don't feel bad about it. If it means being a recluse for a few days, so be it. I can totally relate to that.

Man, Stone writes some really good fucking tunes!
    Post edited by HesCalledDyer on
  • Options
    djdanpainedjdanpaine Auckland Posts: 2
    In no particular order:
    1. Last Exit - This is their best album opener.
    2. Dissident - I love the bridge at 2.10 - 2.35 where Abruzzesse is really spare with his drumming and the guitars just hum and float in the vacuum.
    3. In My Tree - It was so different at the time for PJ, Jacks drumming and some of my fave Ed lyrics.

Special mentions 'Hail, Hail', 'Strangest Tribe', 'Wash', 'Black', 'LBC'
  • Options
    Treyert14Treyert14 Louisiana Posts: 924

1. W.M.A.

2. Untitled

3. Blood

I like all these songs equally but above all the others. Blood has such a cool funky riff on guitar and i like wmf and untitled cause i'm a drummer and they both have really interesting drum beats. Give them a listen!

I love W.M.A!! \m/
  • Options
    Treyert14Treyert14 Louisiana Posts: 924
    Jeremy- Because it was the first Pearl Jam song I had ever liked and it's what got me into them.
    Severed Hand- because I live the groove of that song!
    Rear view mirror- because I delt with the same thing with a relationship i was in and I can really relate to it.
  • Options
    veredcnveredcn Tel Aviv Posts: 43
    3) Jeremy - for the story
    2) Release- for the lyrics and cathartic feeling
    1) Given to fly - for music and lyrics
    Amsterdam 16.6.2014 Amsterdam 17.6.2014 Berlin 26.6.2014
  • Options
    PJSirenPJSiren Salem, OR Posts: 5,863
    Corduroy ~ To me that song is about realizing strength and courage in yourself that you didn't know you had, and in a time in my life when I needed it, it really spoke to me.

Daughter ~ I grew up without my dad around and this song just fits how I felt about that, and how I still feel to this day sometimes...first time I heard this song, I cried, and still, sometimes, I feel the tears threaten...

Black ~ Got me through my first broken heart, my second...my third...lets say until I met my husband, I dated a long line of, well, losers...who used me, abused me, and trampled on my heart...
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    1. Present Tense - Unlike any other song I've heard ever. Amazing lyrics, live Mike's guitar sounds incredible, that jam and the calm ending.

2. Release - because of my dear Dad

3. Given To Fly - Euphoric and orgasmic
    Happy up here in my tree
  • Options
    marilormarilor St Etienne, France Posts: 618
    It's a tough one here, so...after lots of reflections....:

1 Rearviewmirror : as the author of this thread said (and i quote him...or her) :
    "Rearview Mirror
    :Similar- amazing combination of energy, vocals, guitars..tempo...building of the tempo...soul ,pain and indignant relief pours out of this!
    For me, a song of a bad relationship, being with someone who takes advantage of you, maybe you were in love and too blind to see for awhile..
    but your day of clarity came,,,...and you move on, hopefully doing so with your passion for life intact!! This song rips, and it does so in such an affirmative, empowering way--!! Unparalleled!"

I feel exactly the same about it...all has been said

2. Black : beautiful music, beautiful and lyrics : very intense

So tough...

3. Indifference, in hiding, all or none, nothing as it seems could be here ! just choose !
    "We were but stones, ...Your light made us stars"
  • Options
    joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,210
    I dont have a top 3. All their songs are unique in their own way. Thats really unfair to ask.
  • Options
    DreamyDanDreamyDan netherlands/belgium Posts: 83
    nice thread to dive into this forum...
    but jeez, to pick three....{there's a gap in my PJ knowledge, due to baby-bunker years and a stupid conviction that i'd outgrown That Kind Of Music... how wrong was i?!}

so, three songs, at the moment...

* porch - i love the angry power that it exudes, and the words are wonderful to sing along to... {actually, the whole of Ten would qualify really...} reminds me of a time i long wished to forget, but not anymore...

* rear view mirror - it only recently struck me how much i love this song... and it ties in with a break-up phase i'm in right now...

* release - because it touches something raw, and because it appeared to me in a dream i had a while ago, in which Eddie helped me to move away from a certain person i should've moved away from a long time ago... and Release was playing.... totally weird, but incredibly poignant at the same time...

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    BLACK :BEST SONG IN THE HISTORY OF MUSIC
    ALIVE:THE LYRICS SAYS IT ALL
    NOTHING AS IT SEEMS : COS GOD SENTS ME AWAY AND DOESNT FEEL LIKE HOME...IM A LITTLE OUT
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    steeler4lifesteeler4life Philadelphia area Posts: 405
    Only 3 songs :/

1. Release
    2. Indifference
    3. Lukin (Fast or slow version)

Honorable Mentions: Yellow Ledbetter, Go, State of Love and Trust, Why Go, Alive, Even Flow, RVM, Porch, I Got Id, Present Tense, Hold On, Let Me Sleep, Brain of J, Black, Corduroy, Evolution, Love Boat Captain
    Philly 10/21/13 Seattle 12/06/13 "No Code" 10/17/14
  • Options
    crisr25crisr25 Rotterdam Posts: 27
    Changes everytime, but right now:
    1. Love Boat Captain
    2. Insignificance
    3. Inside Job

... and Off he Goes, Present Tense, Grievance, Hard to Imagine, In Hiding, Hail Hail, Cropduster, Sleight of Hand, RVM, Immortality, Last Exit, Hold On, Man of the Hour, I Got Shit, Nothingman and many many more :-)
    Arnhem 2006, Barcelona 2006, Nijmegen 2007, Rotterdam 2009, Nijmegen 2010, Werchter 2010, Amsterdam 2012 (I), Amsterdam 2012 (II), Berlin 2012 (I), Berlin 2012 (II), Amsterdam 2012 (EV solo), Amsterdam 2014 (I), Amsterdam 2014 (II), Vienna 2014, Werchter 2014, Amsterdam 2017 (EV solo I), Amsterdam 2017 (EV solo II), Amsterdam 2018 (I), Amsterdam 2018 (II), Landgraaf (Pinkpop Festival) 2018, Prague 2018, Barcelona 2018, Amsterdam 2019 (EV solo), Barcelona 2019 (EV solo), Amsterdam 2021 (I), Amsterdam 2021 (II), Werchter 2021, Copenhagen 2021, Krakow 2021, Prague 2021.
  • Options
    steeler4lifesteeler4life Philadelphia area Posts: 405
    crisr25 said:

Changes everytime, but right now:
    1. Love Boat Captain
    2. Insignificance
    3. Inside Job

... and Off he Goes, Present Tense, Grievance, Hard to Imagine, In Hiding, Hail Hail, Cropduster, Sleight of Hand, RVM, Immortality, Last Exit, Hold On, Man of the Hour, I Got Shit, Nothingman and many many more :-)

I forgot about Inside Job. Solid choices. Solid.
    Philly 10/21/13 Seattle 12/06/13 "No Code" 10/17/14