America's Gun Violence

Comments

• fifefife Posts: 3,327
    quick question: Should people convicted of a crime be allowed to buy a gun?

I was thinking about that when i read about guns being used for protection.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121

Jason P, what did you ever do to run afoul of President Obama? Breathe?
    Peace.

I schooled him in Super Tecmo Bowl.
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487

Peace.

See that's the funny part, it's not just him, it's ALL of them.

Seriously before saying that the pending legislation isn't out there, do some research.
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    fife said:

If they served their time, yes.

• callencallen Posts: 6,388
    We have our realities and sometimes it's best to just avoid differing opinions. More comforting.

Why I admire all those on the train, we're much the same on attitude. As long as
    unsung said:

fife said:

Any crime? Robbery? Murder? Violent felonies?
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    Jason P said:

:-$

That's for just in case the Pulaski Wombats ever win the Stanley Cup.

Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,481
    unsung said:

Peace.

Seriously before saying that the pending legislation isn't out there, do some research.
    Boo!

All of who?

Seriously, please enumerate which Constitutional rights you've lost and what "pending" legislation you're so ever so fearful of. You do own a gun, correct?

Peace.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,412
    edited June 2014
    unsung said:

fife said:

I can think of a widow and her fatherless newborn who might disagree with you. Particularly one who so carelessly handled a weapon that under current law he was not legally able to have.

to quote the article posted earlier

"A musician, teacher and new father is dead after a stray bullet pierced the wall of his Florida home on Tuesday and struck him in the back of the head. The Panama City News Herald reported that 33-year-old Justin Ayers and his wife were welcoming their 3-day-old baby home from the hospital with relatives when Justin was killed.

The bullet came from the house next door, where 62-year-old Charles Edward Shisler picked up a .9 mm pistol by the trigger, causing it to discharge. When sheriff’s deputies arrived, they found Shisler standing on his porch, although he initially was “belligerent” and uncooperative.

“The damn gun doesn’t usually shoot,” said Shisler, according to his arrest report. “You have to squeeze the hell out of the trigger to shoot it.”

A blood test taken more than four hours after the shooting found that Shisler had a blood alcohol level of .079. The legal limit for driving in Florida is .08.

Shisler told deputies he had tried to pick up the gun by its trigger. After the gunshot, he said, he hastily tried to hide the weapon under his mattress.

Deputies arrested Shisler and charged him with manslaughter and for being a convicted felon in possession of a handgun. He had a previous felony weapons conviction from 2006, according to the Herald News.

Ayers was a guitar teacher at D&H Music in Panama City and toured throughout the panhandle with his band the Ayers. As of Wednesday, the medical examiner announced that an autopsy will be conducted on Ayers’ body to determine the cause of the death and that forensic examiners are treating the two houses as a crime scene."

from a website detailing Florida law

Purchase and Possession:
    No state permit is required to possess or purchase a rifle, shotgun or handgun.

It is unlawful for:

!!!!!!!! any convicted felon to have in his or her possession any firearm or to carry a concealed weapon unless his civil rights have been restored.!!!!!!!!!!!

???????? The following persons to own, possess or use any firearm - drug addicts, alcoholics, mental incompetents, and vagrants.?????????

For persons to have in their care, custody, possession, or control any firearm or ammunition if the person has been issued a final injunction that is currently in force and effect, restraining that person from committing acts of domestic violence.

To sell, give, barter, lend or transfer a firearm or other weapon other than an ordinary pocketknife to a minor less than the age of 18 without his parent’s permission, or to any person of unsound mind.

Any dealer to sell or transfer any firearm, pistol, Springfield rifle or other repeating rifle to a minor.

A minor less than 18 years of age to possess a firearm, other than an unloaded firearm at his home, unless engaged in lawful activities.

No licensed gun dealer, manufacturer or importer shall sell or deliver any firearm to another person until he has obtained a completed form from the potential buyer or transferee and received approval from the Department of Law Enforcement by means of a toll-free telephone call.

The Department of Law Enforcement shall destroy records of approval and non-approval within 48 hours after its response.

Exempt from the instant check are licensed dealers, manufacturers, importers, collectors, persons with a concealed carrying license, law enforcement, correctional and correctional probation officers.

Excluding weekends and legal holidays, there is a three-day waiting period to purchase a handgun from a retail establishment. Exempt from the waiting period are concealed weapons permit holders and those trading in another handgun.

so the question to be answered is , was this guys civil rights restored after his previous felony conviction related to guns ?

For curiosity sake , how does the state determine alcoholic or drug addict? whats the criteria? Or vagrant for that matter?
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    A. U. G. T

Godfather.

Okay. i guess there are a lot more rational, logical 6 to 13 year old girls out there than I thought there were.

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    A.U.G.T.?
    American's ugly gun toter?
    Ammo user's government treaty?
    Automatic uber gun trooper?

Or did you mean the Latvian word, "augt"?

You lost me, G.F.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

unsung said:

Peace.

Boo!

All of who?

Seriously, please enumerate which Constitutional rights you've lost and what "pending" legislation you're so ever so fearful of. You do own a gun, correct?

Peace.

I really don't want to go and re-hash all of the same stuff again. It's been discussed before, I'm sure you know how to google.

However I will give the Cliff Notes, search on Connecticut and in my home state of Illinois there was legislation last year that would turn a law-abiding person into a felon by charging the person with a felony for EACH magazine owned that was larger than 10 rounds.

Any rational person can see how that is simply ridiculous.
    mickeyrat said:

unsung said:

fife said:

I can think of a widow and her fatherless newborn who might disagree with you. Particularly one who so carelessly handled a weapon that under current law he was not legally able to have.

to quote the article posted earlier

"A musician, teacher and new father is dead after a stray bullet pierced the wall of his Florida home on Tuesday and struck him in the back of the head. The Panama City News Herald reported that 33-year-old Justin Ayers and his wife were welcoming their 3-day-old baby home from the hospital with relatives when Justin was killed.

The bullet came from the house next door, where 62-year-old Charles Edward Shisler picked up a .9 mm pistol by the trigger, causing it to discharge. When sheriff’s deputies arrived, they found Shisler standing on his porch, although he initially was “belligerent” and uncooperative.

“The damn gun doesn’t usually shoot,” said Shisler, according to his arrest report. “You have to squeeze the hell out of the trigger to shoot it.”

A blood test taken more than four hours after the shooting found that Shisler had a blood alcohol level of .079. The legal limit for driving in Florida is .08.

Shisler told deputies he had tried to pick up the gun by its trigger. After the gunshot, he said, he hastily tried to hide the weapon under his mattress.

Deputies arrested Shisler and charged him with manslaughter and for being a convicted felon in possession of a handgun. He had a previous felony weapons conviction from 2006, according to the Herald News.

Ayers was a guitar teacher at D&H Music in Panama City and toured throughout the panhandle with his band the Ayers. As of Wednesday, the medical examiner announced that an autopsy will be conducted on Ayers’ body to determine the cause of the death and that forensic examiners are treating the two houses as a crime scene."

from a website detailing Florida law

Purchase and Possession:
    No state permit is required to possess or purchase a rifle, shotgun or handgun.

It is unlawful for:

!!!!!!!! any convicted felon to have in his or her possession any firearm or to carry a concealed weapon unless his civil rights have been restored.!!!!!!!!!!!

???????? The following persons to own, possess or use any firearm - drug addicts, alcoholics, mental incompetents, and vagrants.?????????

For persons to have in their care, custody, possession, or control any firearm or ammunition if the person has been issued a final injunction that is currently in force and effect, restraining that person from committing acts of domestic violence.

To sell, give, barter, lend or transfer a firearm or other weapon other than an ordinary pocketknife to a minor less than the age of 18 without his parent’s permission, or to any person of unsound mind.

Any dealer to sell or transfer any firearm, pistol, Springfield rifle or other repeating rifle to a minor.

A minor less than 18 years of age to possess a firearm, other than an unloaded firearm at his home, unless engaged in lawful activities.

No licensed gun dealer, manufacturer or importer shall sell or deliver any firearm to another person until he has obtained a completed form from the potential buyer or transferee and received approval from the Department of Law Enforcement by means of a toll-free telephone call.

The Department of Law Enforcement shall destroy records of approval and non-approval within 48 hours after its response.

Exempt from the instant check are licensed dealers, manufacturers, importers, collectors, persons with a concealed carrying license, law enforcement, correctional and correctional probation officers.

Excluding weekends and legal holidays, there is a three-day waiting period to purchase a handgun from a retail establishment. Exempt from the waiting period are concealed weapons permit holders and those trading in another handgun.

so the question to be answered is , was this guys civil rights restored after his previous felony conviction related to guns ?

For curiosity sake , how does the state determine alcoholic or drug addict? whats the criteria? Or vagrant for that matter?

Should someone who has served their time have the right to vote re-instated?

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,412
    edited June 2014
    generally speaking I think yes,they should be afforded the opportunity to participate in the political process. This assumes the have fully completed the sentence handed down by the courts.

as for access to/possession of guns, it depends on the crime they were convicted for. Felonies certainly deserve scrutiny.

I would think that convictions related to violent acts precludes someone from legal ownership/possession. Or where guns were used in the furtherance of illegal acts, such as drug dealing, armed robbery etc.

There ARE other means for protection.
    For the guy in Florida who is an excon from felony gun charges, I should think no, you dont get legal access. And his punishment now should be more severe due to the illegal possession under that states laws. I.E. a death resulting from an illegal act.

What kind of fucking moron picks up a loaded weapon by the trigger? without the safety being on to boot? Some are too fucking stupid to have such a potentially dangerous "tool" at their disposal.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    Clearly that person's lack of training is evident, unfortunately at a great cost.
    brianlux said:

A.U.G.T.?
    American's ugly gun toter?
    Ammo user's government treaty?

another useless gun thread.
    always the same topic and same out-come with the same arguments, we all know where this topic ends up.

Godfather.
    Automatic uber gun trooper?

Or did you mean the Latvian word, "augt"?

You lost me, G.F.

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    unsung said:
    Right....no one believes that stricter gun control will result in zero mass shootings. The issue is why do we have such loose gun control and let's at least make it as difficult as possible to commit such a crime.

Ok, I'm being serious and totally non sarcastic.

Given that this guy states that their proposals would not have prevented mass shootings, and given that these murderers already broke dozens of laws prior to murder, what would you do to stop this?
    unsung said:

Given that this guy states that their proposals would not have prevented mass shootings, and given that these murderers already broke dozens of laws prior to murder, what would you do to stop this?

actually he said that "many" of the mass shootings would not have been prevented...

If it were up to me there would be a ban on assault weapons, bans on high capacity clips, requirements for licensing (similar to driver's licenses....license issued once gun safety and use test was passed), stricter limitations on ownership related to mental health issues, prior gun violence charges, etc. Stricter laws related to selling weapons.....

Of course that won't stop killings...but an organized society has to at least create hurdles to make it more difficult.

• unsung said:

Hmmm. Interesting. Where do they get those guns then? Obviously the state border crossings are failing to do their jobs adequately.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    The higher control there is on a primary market would create a black market at higher levels.

Who here believes that Chicago gang bangers buy their guns at gun stores or gun shows?

unsung said:

actually he said that "many" of the mass shootings would not have been prevented...

If it were up to me there would be a ban on assault weapons, bans on high capacity clips, requirements for licensing (similar to driver's licenses....license issued once gun safety and use test was passed), stricter limitations on ownership related to mental health issues, prior gun violence charges, etc. Stricter laws related to selling weapons.....

Of course that won't stop killings...but an organized society has to at least create hurdles to make it more difficult.

What would you do that wouldn't infringe on people who are not breaking laws? Most of those would limit the law-abiding. Plus he already stated that bans on those would not have prevented these shootings.

What would be done to prevent these shootings?

I already have a license and training, no mental health issues, no criminal charges, I undergo frequent background checks for my employment. Have you ever bought a firearm? What stricter selling laws would you want?
    unsung said:

unsung said:

What would you do that wouldn't infringe on people who are not breaking laws? Most of those would limit the law-abiding. Plus he already stated that bans on those would not have prevented these shootings.

I already have a license and training, no mental health issues, no criminal charges, I undergo frequent background checks for my employment. Have you ever bought a firearm? What stricter selling laws would you want?
    I don't care if it infringes on them. They don't need assault rifles and I don't care if they want them. I'm sure there are some people that would like to have a rocket launcher but they aren't allowed to purchase them.

Yes I have a handgun...I also have a lifetime permit to carry it concealed. A permit is different than a license. A license (in my definition) demonstrates a certain level of education and training. I got a permit without doing anything other than getting fingerprinted.

ban weapons and legalize drugs ? :))

Godfather.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121

unsung said:

unsung said:

I don't care if it infringes on them. They don't need assault rifles and I don't care if they want them. I'm sure there are some people that would like to have a rocket launcher but they aren't allowed to purchase them.

Yes I have a handgun...I also have a lifetime permit to carry it concealed. A permit is different than a license. A license (in my definition) demonstrates a certain level of education and training. I got a permit without doing anything other than getting fingerprinted.

It's not that easy to get a permit. You also have to fill out a 5 minute application online and send a few money-orders. That seems like a logical and safe system for allowing people to pack heat.

unsung said:

unsung said:

I don't care if it infringes on them.

Enough said. There's no reasoning with someone so extreme.
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    Here we again in my state, this from the Chicago Tribune....

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-80571554/

TALLAHASSEE Fla. (Reuters) - Florida Governor Rick Scott signed a law on Friday that builds on the state's controversial "stand your ground"€ self-defense rules by allowing citizens to brandish weapons and fire warning shots to ward off attackers.

The warning shot law was inspired in part by the public outcry over the case of a woman sentenced to a 20-year prison term under the state's sentencing guidelines because she fired a gun at her abusive husband, who was not injured.

"Self-defense is not a crime. It's a constitutional right," said Marion Hammer, the National Rifle Association's lead lobbyist in Florida. "Prosecutors have been violating the rights of Florida citizens and this law will stop that."

The case of Marissa Alexander, who was convicted in 2012 of three counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, ignited protests from supporters who contrasted her treatment with that of George Zimmerman, who was acquitted on self-defense grounds last year in the shooting death of a black, unarmed teenager, Trayvon Martin.

Under Florida's 2005 "stand your ground" law, people who use deadly force to defend themselves - rather than retreating to avoid confrontation - can be immune from prosecution if they have a reasonable fear of serious injury.

The new law's changes to "stand your ground" received little discussion when the bill passed. Some gun rights supporters have recently raised concerns that the confusing language could actually weaken self-defense protections.

Anticipating the new law, a judge recently postponed a retrial for Alexander, whose conviction was overturned on appeal. The law still allows prosecutors to bring charges if they doubt a self-defense claim.
    Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

This discussion has been closed.