Billy Joel

Comments

• Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560

Hey Billy, head on up to New England.....

Seriously. Hartford is dying for a show. I believe he has the record for most sold out shows at the Civic Center.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Newch91 said:

Seriously. Hartford is dying for a show. I believe he has the record for most sold out shows at the Civic Center.
    I do wonder if you guys are out of luck (hopefully not). If you were MSG wouldn't you set a reasonable radius around the Garden that he would not perform during the monthly shows? And if you were Billy, why would you not take that as part of the deal? If you notice all the announced shows are well outside what anyone would consider a reasonable distance to the Garden.

I could see this happening, though, but not announced until all initial 12 months' shows are sold out. Also, the Civic Center used to be under MSG's purview. Is it anymore? If it is, you probably have a better chance.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.

Newch91 said:

I do wonder if you guys are out of luck (hopefully not). If you were MSG wouldn't you set a reasonable radius around the Garden that he would not perform during the monthly shows? And if you were Billy, why would you not take that as part of the deal? If you notice all the announced shows are well outside what anyone would consider a reasonable distance to the Garden.

I could see this happening, though, but not announced until all initial 12 months' shows are sold out. Also, the Civic Center used to be under MSG's purview. Is it anymore? If it is, you probably have a better chance.
    I mean, it's not a bad drive to NYC; 1.5 - 2 hours from Waterbury depending on traffic. It would just be convenient to drive 30 minutes instead of 1.5 - 2 hours. I still have hope that he will. Like you said, maybe wait and see if all 12 shows at the Garden are sold out and then maybe he'll announce a show at the Civic Center.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Newch91 said:

Newch91 said:

I mean, it's not a bad drive to NYC; 1.5 - 2 hours from Waterbury depending on traffic. It would just be convenient to drive 30 minutes instead of 1.5 - 2 hours. I still have hope that he will. Like you said, maybe wait and see if all 12 shows at the Garden are sold out and then maybe he'll announce a show at the Civic Center.
    Yeah, but after the show, you'd have something to do rather than just drive home 30 minutes. :))
    http://www.billyjoel.com/news/billy-joel-matter-trust-bridge-russia-documentary-film-premiere-showtime-january-31

'BILLY JOEL: A MATTER OF TRUST - THE BRIDGE TO RUSSIA' DOCUMENTARY FILM TO PREMIERE ON SHOWTIME JANUARY 31

Twenty-six years ago, Billy Joel took his family, his music and his concert show to the former Soviet Union. This feature-length documentary film looks back at the triumphs and difficulties encountered in creating the first fully staged rock 'n' roll show in the USSR. Directed by Emmy®-winning documentarian, Jim Brown.

Tune in Friday, January 31 at 9 p.m. ET/PT to watch Billy Joel: A Matter Of Trust - The Bridge To Russia premiere on Showtime.

The documentary will be available on Showtime Anytime beginning January 31 and Showtime On Demand beginning February 1.
    The film also will re-air on the following dates ET/PT:

Fri, Jan 31, 10:30 PM - SHOWTIME
    Sat, Feb 01, 5:00 PM - SHOWTIME
    Sun, Feb 02, 8:00 PM - SHOWTIME SHOWCASE
    Mon, Feb 03, 11:30 PM - SHOWTIME
    Tue, Feb 04, 8:30 PM - SHO 2
    Thu, Feb 06, 9:30 PM - SHOWTIME
    Sat, Feb 08, 7:15 AM - SHOWTIME SHOWCASE
    Sat, Feb 08, 7:00 PM - SHOWTIME SHOWCASE
    Tue, Feb 11, 7:00 PM - SHOWTIME
    Sat, Feb 15, 6:00 AM - SHO 2
    Sun, Feb 16, 2:30 PM - SHOWTIME SHOWCASE
    Sun, Feb 23, 11:00 AM - SHOWTIME
    Mon, Feb 24, 7:30 PM - SHO 2
  • jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    Newch91 said:

http://www.billyjoel.com/news/billy-joel-matter-trust-bridge-russia-documentary-film-premiere-showtime-january-31

'BILLY JOEL: A MATTER OF TRUST - THE BRIDGE TO RUSSIA' DOCUMENTARY FILM TO PREMIERE ON SHOWTIME JANUARY 31

In honor of that, I have a decent copy of Kohuept on vinyl (minor skip on Mulberry Street) and I'll include a copy of An Innocent Man (again, minor skip on Keeping the Faith) that I'll send someone for free. Quote this post here in the thread and then send me a PM with your address.

• thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    jamburger said:

Newch91 said:

In honor of that, I have a decent copy of Kohuept on vinyl (minor skip on Mulberry Street) and I'll include a copy of An Innocent Man (again, minor skip on Keeping the Faith) that I'll send someone for free. Quote this post here in the thread and then send me a PM with your address.

Hey, I can always use some free Joel! :D Thanks!
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • Billy Joel at Wrigley in July.

2014 is shaping up to be the year of Billy Joel.
  • Save MeSave Me Posts: 147
    Rumors of a Fenway show as well.

For anyone who hasn't seen the Matter Of Trust doc it's well worth it. I don't know if casual fans know or remember how big and important those shows were at the time. And Billy was never more into any shows than those. I believe they were the only time he ever crowd surfed. My favorite is when he threw over his keyboard in a rage when they wouldn't stop lighting the audience. He turned that quiet, repressed crowd into a jungle. It was amazing. And we got the song Leningrad out of it.
    "The Wild is chasing after me. Hot on my trail won't leave me alone. All I can see is your blood right in front of me, and I can't kill The Wild." Me
  • Opening show of the franchise in 4 days!!!! Can't wait.

If anyone needs a pair for next Monday (Jan 27) hit me up. I may have a spare pair in the 100's across from stage.

Opening show of the franchise in 4 days!!!! Can't wait.

If anyone needs a pair for next Monday (Jan 27) hit me up. I may have a spare pair in the 100's across from stage.

Have fun at MSG!!
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    He announced CBB in Philly today. He's gotta be coming north this summer...you would think...
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Newch91 said:

Opening show of the franchise in 4 days!!!! Can't wait.

Have fun at MSG!!
    Thanks!!! That won't be a problem.
  • What a show last night at MSG.

Summer Higland Falls, All For Leyna (my all time favorite of his), Where's the Orchestra into Allentown, River of Dreams, Blonde Over Blue, Longest Time, Zanzibar, Mulberry Street, The Entertainer.

We were basically going - would be cool if he plays this and bang, he would play it. Orchestra into Allentown is so cool. And while Leyna has become somewhat of a regular this year, Big Man on Mulberry Street made its maiden voyage I believe.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    Kicking myself for forgetting to get tickets to the Wrigley show. Although it sold out in 30 mins so I'm sure it was similar to getting tix to the PJ show at Wrigley.

Awesome that he is doing the residency at MSG. Sounds like it got off to a great start last night.
  • riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892

What a show last night at MSG.

Summer Higland Falls, All For Leyna (my all time favorite of his), Where's the Orchestra into Allentown, River of Dreams, Blonde Over Blue, Longest Time, Zanzibar, Mulberry Street, The Entertainer.

We were basically going - would be cool if he plays this and bang, he would play it. Orchestra into Allentown is so cool. And while Leyna has become somewhat of a regular this year, Big Man on Mulberry Street made its maiden voyage I believe.

Sweet show! Hoping to hear Mulberry St and All for Leyna. Sleeping with TV would be awesome and some additions from Cold Spring Harbor would be great!
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883

What a show last night at MSG.

Good to hear, I'm going Monday
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
    Looks like you got a fun and great show, Edson!
  • Newch91 said:

Looks like you got a fun and great show, Edson!

It was. Can't wait for my next show in April.

And - spoiler alert b/c I'm not sure how often he's been doing this -----

I can't believe I forgot to mention that he played the piano Coda from Layla sequing from Scenes into Piano Man.

The entire show as just one pleasant surprise after another.
  • Mike D88Mike D88 Tampa Posts: 722
    Just saw Billy Joel earlier this month at the sold out Tampa Bay Times Forum. It was a great show, loved the opening with Miami 2017, and there were long renditions of River of Dreams and Scenes From an Italian Restaurant. The older gentleman seated next to me seemed to be tearing up a bit at Allentown, which was a little poignant in its own way.

Billy also kept playing little snippets of the Godfather theme between songs.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574

OH FUCK YES!!!! Tickets will be a bitch but I bet but I will be trying.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • youngster said:

That's awesome. Good luck.

Funny that we make such a big deal of PJ doing 1 stadium show in the States and Billy just rolls a few out with no big deal. No wonder folks look at us sideways.

youngster said:

That's awesome. Good luck.

Funny that we make such a big deal of PJ doing 1 stadium show in the States and Billy just rolls a few out with no big deal. No wonder folks look at us sideways.
    He's probably selling out these stadiums like Bruce and McCartney do.
    Wow! I really loved the doc. Billy is the man! Looking forward to watching this again with my dad tomorrow.

Also, Christie in the '80s (and today). :-bd
  • thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    What time is it on tomorrow?
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
    thefixer9 said:

What time is it on tomorrow?

Rest of the air dates listed on his site:

Sat, Feb 01, 5:00 PM - SHOWTIME
    Sun, Feb 02, 8:00 PM - SHOWTIME SHOWCASE
    Tue, Feb 04, 8:30 PM - SHO 2
    Thu, Feb 06, 8:30 PM - SHOWTIME
    Sat, Feb 08, 7:15 AM - SHOWTIME SHOWCASE
    Sat, Feb 08, 7:00 PM - SHOWTIME SHOWCASE
    Tue, Feb 11, 7:00 PM - SHOWTIME
    Sat, Feb 15, 6:00 AM - SHO 2
    Sun, Feb 16, 2:30 PM - SHOWTIME SHOWCASE
    Sun, Feb 23, 11:00 AM - SHOWTIME
    Mon, Feb 24, 7:30 PM - SHO 2
    Wed, Feb 26, 11:00 PM - SHOWTIME
  • Save MeSave Me Posts: 147
    He did Captain Jack for the 1st time this tour at this past Monday's MSG show, which I've been dying to hear. Also This Is The Time. Anyone going to the Raleigh show this Sunday night? I have tickets to fly down from NY but with the impending snow coming our way I'm not sure if I'm going to go.
    "The Wild is chasing after me. Hot on my trail won't leave me alone. All I can see is your blood right in front of me, and I can't kill The Wild." Me
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,148
    A Matter Of Trust The Bridge To Russia: The Deluxe Edition (2CD/Blu-ray)
    http://amzn.to/1hRaM7y
    I miss igotid88
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,148
    I miss igotid88