*** San Diego Fanviews Here 11/21/13 ***

Comments

• UNREAL!!! i'm not an english major so i don't even have the verbiage to articulate how amazing that show was!!! i was front row in front of mike "holy shit that guy is even more amazing than i thought" mccready. you gain a new perspective when you're that close! i got a mike pick, and ed gave me some wine, but i showed him my red sox hat, and he went and got me a tambourine. however, he did take my hat (fair trade i guess, hats come and go, tambourines are once in a lifetime). i'm actually looking for a guy on here (he had a tan, long sleeve shirt on and short hair) he was about 2 people behind me and diagonally away. after my hat-for-tambourine exchange this guy tapped my girlfriend on the shoulder and said "i got it!!" while pointing to his phone. not sure if it was a video or a picture, but i would love to somehow track this guy down. i'm gonna make a separate post about it specifically, but if he happens to read this, please contact me! or if anyone has any information about it (maybe you were with said person or something), please let me know….i feel like i'm on unsolved mysteries. yes, i did think to ask him for is info after the show, but he bolted (pun intended) immediately and i couldn't pick him out of the sea of people.

all the personal stuff aside, the band was on fire last nite and genuinely were having a good time. not sure if it was the family there, or their love for SD with their previous time spent here in their younger years or just the perfect storm of all that stuff, but it was a great night with amazing energy from all that were there…..that venue is awesome, there is not a bad seat in the house!!!
  • Fantastic show! Wife and I (Dan and Natasha) were second row in front of Jeff, right where Mike fell on the crowd playing "Alive."

Hoping to some fellow 10C members can help me locate someone we were on the floor with all night. Her name is Rosa and she's from San Diego (thanks again for the wine!) Anyways, wanted to get in touch with her about the LA shows. Not sure if she's a regular around here, but we were hanging with her and John (tall!!!) from Newport Beach (maybe he posts on here?)

Rosa, if you see this, will you shoot me an email <!-- e --><a href="mailto:danpenksa@yahoo.com">danpenksa@yahoo.com</a><!-- e --> or post/message on here, or if anyone can put us in contact, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks, and see you all tomorrow.
  • jodiemjodiem Posts: 133
    I don't really know where to start with summing up last night.. I get quite overwhelmed at the shows cos of the awe of seeing them... so I might ramble a bit here! :)

Highlights:
    Light Years
    Given to Fly
    In my Tree
    Porch
    Rearview Mirror and Even Flow were EPIC! Mike was incredible
    Black
    Do the Evolution
    In Hiding

I loved seeing Eddie pass the bottle to his Mum
    The guys looked like they were having the time of their lives, they were awesome!
    The Philippine thing was a great touch... And from someone who is from the Southern Hemisphere we feel particularly saddened by it.. But the dedication was lovely and touching

On the train now to LA.. Another 7 to go... I can't friggin wait!
    Coming all the way from Sydney for these shows, last night was just the perfect opener!

PS. Behind the stage seats rock!
    1995: Perth
    2006: Sydney x 2
    2009: Philly, Sydney
    2013: San Diego, LA1 & 2, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Vancouver, Seattle

EV Solo - Canberra, Newcastle, Sydney x 2
  • Three hours and twenty four minutes...that had to be experienced. It cannot be explained.
    Epic night! 7 songs to end the second encore with Baba, YLB, and Rockin... Wow!
    Warfield Theater - May 15, 1992, Greek Theatre - Oct 31, 1993, Merriweather Post Pavilion - Sep 24, 1996 Merriweather Post Pavilion -Sep 18, 1998, RFK Stadium - Jun 14, 1998, Shoreline Amphitheatre - Oct 31, 2000, MGM Grand - Jun 06, 2003, Bill Graham Civic Auditorium -Jul 16, 2006, Bill Graham Civic Auditorium - Jul 18, 2006, Zellerbach Hall April 07, 2008 (EV) Gibson Amphitheater - Sep 30, 2009, Gibson Amphitheater - Oct 01, 2009 Aloha Stadium - Dec 09, 2006, Outside Lands Festival - Aug 28, 2009 Copley Symphony Hall - July 05, 2011 (EV)
  • stickfig13 wrote:
    djhzehayes wrote:
    That was my seventh show and while I think Wrigley this summer could have been better, the rain kind of derailed it for a little while. This was far and away the best because of the atmosphere. It struck me just how much the band loves what they do.
    They're grown up little kids. We should all be so lucky to have a job like that where you absolutely get a kick out of what you do.
    Ed's three song-ending jumps, McCready singing lyrics into the camera when there wasnt a microphone within 10 feet. The sheer joy on the face of Matt Cameron, who I didn't realize grew up here as well, when his son joined them on stage. Ed singing to his mom. Light Years for Ryan. Rob from the Philippines. They even ripped the local paper for being pompous, which is as accurate as it gets.
    But the thing that impressed me most, beyond the atmosphere and set list, was how the house lights were on for a full 25 minutes and they just kept going. I didn't think they'd ever stop. Was perfect in every single way.

I forgot about that Union Tribune comment. I was wondering if they would mention the terrible review the Tribune gave them for Lightning Bolt. There was not even a mention of the show in the paper yesterday.

That just goes to show the Union Tribune has no clue about great music and a band that will stand the test of time, keeps getting better and plays their music - not some commercial bullshit X Factor-American Idol crap that is unlistenable... PJ made created their own following and fans like us know what quality music and scene to be a part of... I followed the Dead for 10 years and have seen hundreds of other bands and shows over the years... No band compares to Eddie and the boys! Off to LA!
    Warfield Theater - May 15, 1992, Greek Theatre - Oct 31, 1993, Merriweather Post Pavilion - Sep 24, 1996 Merriweather Post Pavilion -Sep 18, 1998, RFK Stadium - Jun 14, 1998, Shoreline Amphitheatre - Oct 31, 2000, MGM Grand - Jun 06, 2003, Bill Graham Civic Auditorium -Jul 16, 2006, Bill Graham Civic Auditorium - Jul 18, 2006, Zellerbach Hall April 07, 2008 (EV) Gibson Amphitheater - Sep 30, 2009, Gibson Amphitheater - Oct 01, 2009 Aloha Stadium - Dec 09, 2006, Outside Lands Festival - Aug 28, 2009 Copley Symphony Hall - July 05, 2011 (EV)
  • Over 3 hours Ben Harper last Saturday, over 3 hours Pearl Jam yesterday... Amazing show, amazing people around...AND I got a wonderful Ukulele at the Fundraisers party! I feel so blessed!!

Went to Ben Harper as well. No disrespect, but Eddie crushed it at Symphony Hall and PJ blew our mods last night. Ben has his place in rock n roll history, but PJ leads the pack... All good, love music!
  • hvrsqhvrsq Las Vegas Posts: 49
    First off thank you San Diego and thank you Pearl Jam! Awesome, awesome show! So much energy from everyone! Drove in from Vegas and arrived real early. No traffic issues for me! Unfortunately had to leave early too :cry: missed Alive, Baba, YL, and RITFW. Had to be back in Vegas for a 5:30 am surgery! Being up for 36 hours straight, minus the anesthesia, was well worth it! Hardest thing I've ever done was to leave that concert early. Please, those of you who may have recorded the last 4 songs, PLEASE SHARE!
    if nothing is everything......
    I'll have it all!
  • djklambakedjklambake PHX, AZ Posts: 2,510
    Best show of the tour.

Period.

Nothingman has always been my favorite song ever.

Ever.

Second song...man...that was such a treat...

Everyone's already detailed the cool shit that happened last night... I'm just so tired right now from driving back from SD to PHX today...So worth the exhaustion :-)

Just made me wish I could have continued on to LA and Oakland...but alas...I'll just live vicariously through the rest of the lucky ones. Gonna take a lot to top SD, though (in my honest opinion)
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/4/12 - (Eddie Vedder) Phoenix, AZ
    11/1/13 - New Orleans, LA
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
    8/22/16 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley 2)
  • Really great show. Really LONG show. I was wiped out by the end of it. Then to top it off there was a wreck on I-8 on the way back to the hotel that added an extra hour to the evening/morning. My wife and I traveled from AZ so it made for a long 2 day stretch after the epic Phoenix show. These were only my 6th and 7th shows ever (missed the Avacodo and Backspacer tours).

Loved hearing Tremor Christ, Army Reserve, Severed Hand, Insignificance and All Night, and I was really surprised how much I enjoyed Speed of Sound live because it is not a favorite.

Overall I think I liked the Phoenix show better, just thought the setlist was better throughout. Although I will say I thought the crowd in San Diego was better.
  • mind blown. completely. and i still have the next three shows to go.

i was right in front of mike. i got some awesome pictures of him (and 5 picks!) and good pics of everybody else, even stone. during "porch," not only did i take the best pic i think i've ever taken - anywhere, anytime - but i briefly touched his guitar as well.

i did miss out on a tambourine (i was two people to the right of bellzdeep, who posted about his experience in this thread; the two people to the right of me also got tambourines, but i missed out), and i lost my ticket, probably during one of the many times i was jumping up and down.

but ... WOW. breaking out the rarities with "all night" pretty early, then "tremor christ" (the first vitalogy song i connected to) two songs later. "army reserve" was a pleasant treat, and "light years" was awesome as well. then "sleight of hand," "speed of sound ... hell, the entire first encore, capped by possibly my favorite in-concert song, "rearviewmirror." the strobes while they are thrashing through the outro is stunning.

and then "leaving here" in the second encore. "baba o'reilly" (my friend is gonna kill me; she still hasn't seen that live). and just when you thought they were done after "yellow ledbetter," here comes "rockin' in the free world."

finishing at 11:53 or so. WOW. three hours and 23 minutes (or thereabouts). WOW.

can i stand another GA on saturday in l.a.? i'm sure gonna try.
    wrigley 2 08-22-16
    wrigley 1 08-20-16
    jacksonville 04-13-16
    tampa 04-11-16
    miami 04-09-16
    fort lauderdale 04-08-16
    denver 10-22-14
    oakland 11-26-13
    los angeles 11-24-13
    los angeles 11-23-13
    san diego 11-21-13
    glendale (phoenix) 11-19-13
    san diego 10-09-09
    universal city 10-07-09
    universal city 10-06-09
    san diego 07-07-06
    san diego 11-07-95
  • I can't say much about last night that hasn't already been said. You really had to be there to truly get how great it was. Thank you to the Ten Club for the GA tickets which got me to a terrific position in the pit.

Here are a few short video clips that I took last night:

Alive: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RQtHcencUY

All Night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgIA-As_p00

Black: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXUDAoxuLVM

Even Flow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHtdlg77kKE

Light Years: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92rWlhLt89E

Porch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9W4uOE7DrU

Tremor Christ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5aXFEGFijs

Yellow Ledbetter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dWdL1qJIu0
  • Wow...12th show, and first time on the floor or anywhere that close. AMAZING.

Highlights for me (songs I've never seen before)...

Nothingman
    Army Reserve (1st time played in over 3 years)
    Speed of Sound (4th time ever played)
    The 6 LB tracks, including the SBM debut!
    All Night (how true!)
    Leaving Here

Other Notes...

A shout out to my new friends from McGregor's (a good time!)...Christian, Jerry, Kevin & Steve! And what's up neighbor John from 4S!

The GA Only line was enforced (they made you turn around if you got in a different line...probably because the venue was steep, so they wanted to keep one line going down to the floor as organized and safe as possible).

Got in the GA line a little after the 6:30 door opening, went to the bathroom, got a beer, and got about 10-15 feet away on the right by Stone (BEHIND YOU BIG 6'8" GUY!!! :D ). Hung out for about two hours to maintain my position...but not sure if it was worth it, as anywhere on the floor was primo I'd say. Actually, I'm glad I did, because it sounded like the traffic was bad, so I didn't have to stress at least.

BRAVO!!!

P.S. Matt's son is a spitting image of the younger son from Weeds! Good job up there!

Dave... Had a great time too!
    Any plans for pre-show. I was thinking about going to "The Lab" it's a great gastropub not to far from the arena, close enough to walk.
    -Christian
    120XXX
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Heading to LA to join you all on the floor again. Looking for one extra GA for a third person in our group. Please let me know if you have one! We'll be at the venue shortly in line for a good spot and can make sure we meet up in whatever manner is convenient for you

702-205-4688 Dan
    Thanks!
  • tcadd94tcadd94 North Jersey Posts: 611
    UNREAL
    I've been fortunate enough to see Pearl Jam live.

I am hanging in the balance of a perfect finished plan
    Like every sparrow falling, like every grain of sand.
  • WiseMan22 wrote:
    mind blown. completely. and i still have the next three shows to go.

i was right in front of mike. i got some awesome pictures of him (and 5 picks!) and good pics of everybody else, even stone. during "porch," not only did i take the best pic i think i've ever taken - anywhere, anytime - but i briefly touched his guitar as well.

Please share this "best pic ever" would love to see it
    6/24/95, 11/4/95, 11/7/95, 7/10/98, 7/12/98, 7/13/98, 10/24/00, 10/25/00, 10/27/00, 6/2/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 7/7/06. 7/9/06, 7/10/06
  • Two days later still smiling about the show. :D
  • RBuckley73 wrote:
    Two days later still smiling about the show. :D

Me too!! Still haven't come down from the show. Seeing them again tomorrow, gonna be hard to top SD but still looking forward to it.
    here for the music...
  • *In Hiding (announced that it was Stone's song)
    *Insignificance
    *Army Reserve (searing bass-line)
    *In My Tree
    *Light Years!
    *Sleight Of Hand (about workin in SD and having to wear a clip on tie)
    *Severed Hand ("about responsible drug use -which [Ed] thinks is a real thing")
    *Spin The Black Circle (for his old record store that "got him started")

**cool new intro for Porch (much faster)

Ed did the MOONWALK when he came on for Encore 2.

Rockin' In The Free World closer was definitely not planned (I agree), I thought he did it because Mike did the Star Spangled Banner after Ledbetter for his Dad and friend who were military and "shot down" together and Rockin' went along with the vet theme.
  • DivkaDivka Posts: 196
    Here are my photos from the night - I hope you enjoy :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/afieldinwh ... 985724205/

PS If anyone knows who those kids are, let me know. They asked me to take a pic of them and meant to give me an email address to send it to, but it looks like we all forgot.
    When the stars exploded billions of years ago, they formed everything that is this world. Everything we know is stardust...
  • :geek: All I know is that you, Sand Diego, got Mega blessed the other night....WOW!@!!...what a setlist....All Night...Tremor Christ...Setting Forth....Swallowed Whole...Army motherfuckin' Reserve....Insignifigance...Spin The Black Circle....Light Years...Sleight of Hand...Speed of Sound....Severd Hand...and In My Tree....unfuckinbelievable!
    Give me Pearl Jam or give me death!
  • It's taken me two days to post, but here goes...

This was a 'living room' show. It was like we were in Ed's living room, just the band's closest family and friends and they were jamming until everyone decided it was time to go. From all the discussions of family in the house, to Ed deciding AFTER he messed up SLEEPING BY MYSELF on the uke, to pull it back out to prove he knew it. The way after SIRENS, he grabbed the guitar and decided to try a little sing along with a sweet, soft acoustic backing of the crowd doing the "AAH AAH, OOH OOH,". The way he talked about his mom, and pointed out his new friend from the Phillipines. The way he interacted telling about his out of body experience in New Orleans, and one of his "friends" (someone in the crowd) said he must have been out 'shrooms. It was a dress rehearsal (with brilliant musicianship) for their compatriots...an insight to what they're going to give the 'regular' crowds...and we were there to hang out, interact, and remember what it's like to be with our friends for the last 20+ years. I've seen them some 37 or 38 times and I've never seen them this loose, this comfortable, this engaged. We were their closest friends and family...going nuts to hear TREMOR CHRIST, LIGHT YEARS, SPEED OF SOUND, SLEIGHT OF HAND...screaming the new LIGHTNING BOLT lyrics at the top of our lungs, and they just opened up to us and kept going until we were all exhausted and satiated. I'm missing LA 1--a blasphemy in my life, but I wouldn't be able to give my all on Sunday for LA2 if after a hectic Saturday I went to the show. While the band has the ability to recharge and kill it night after night, alas, I am not so young and vibrant...nor do I know if I will ever see a show like SD 2013 ever again. We were a part of THEIR lives for a night. And I have never felt so included in my life.

Thank you, PJ.
  • First time on GA, waited 2 1/2 hours in GA line, met some awesome PJ fans, waited another 2 hours for PJ which was ok since we landed front and center on the rail in front of EV!!!! From the time the show started until the last song, PJ played with more passion, energy and sole than ever. How they can go all out for 3 and a half hours is extra terrestrial! Eddie sliced his right hand in the very beginning which just seemed to add to his rage and emotion. It is so cool to how much the band truly loved their fans. Eddie asked some folks to settle down during spin the black circle, concerned about other fans well being, exchanging his bottles of wine for fans signs, hats, and country flags. Thanks to all the GA folks for being so cool and authentic, great to meet everyone! Hope you guys made it to LA tonight. Event poster was rad, set list was insane! Love that Eddie added Tremor Christ when he did, Porch was just insane, rear view, spin, baba, even flow, sleeping by myself, setting forth, man it was all good, can't wait for the bootleg! 48 hours later and still enjoying the PJ afterglow!!! Thank you PJ!
    First time on GA, waited 2 1/2 hours in GA line, met some awesome PJ fans, waited another 2 hours for PJ which was ok since we landed front and center on the rail in front of EV!!!! From the time the show started until the last song, PJ played with more passion, energy and sole than ever. How they can go all out for 3 and a half hours is extra terrestrial! Eddie sliced his right hand in the very beginning which just seemed to add to his rage and emotion. It is so cool to how much the band truly loved their fans. Eddie asked some folks to settle down during spin the black circle, concerned about other fans well being, exchanging his bottles of wine for fans signs, hats, and country flags. Thanks to all the GA folks for being so cool and authentic, great to meet everyone! Hope you guys made it to LA tonight. Event poster was rad, set list was insane! Love that Eddie added Tremor Christ when he did, Porch was just insane, rear view, spin, baba, even flow, sleeping by myself, setting forth, man it was all good, can't wait for the bootleg! 48 hours later and still enjoying the PJ afterglow!!! Thank you PJ!
    one of the best 1st post ever!!! :clap::clap::clap:
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • EnvoyEnvoy Posts: 14
    A monumental evening.

I'm a bit hesitant to post, but there's a real purpose. I was Matt's drum teacher, and in the stands I experienced the show with the nicest couple next to me. The guy was a longtime fan, been to lots of shows, and I had to jet out quickly at the end. We never got a chance to hang, and I didn't want him to think I had dissed him. If he's on the board, and he'll knew who he is, just PM me.

I realized I needed to reach out when I viewed the vid I took during "Evenflow", and as Matt is getting into his solo, the guy is yelling "There's your boy!" Loved it.

Are these PJ guys a different species, or what? It is hard to imagine a more hard-working, more giving, or more dedicated group of people, sharing their music and spirit. Astonishing, and gives me hope.

Jon Szanto
    Leading a life of noisy desperation, for a rather long time.
    Envoy wrote:
    A monumental evening.

I'm a bit hesitant to post, but there's a real purpose. I was Matt's drum teacher, and in the stands I experienced the show with the nicest couple next to me. The guy was a longtime fan, been to lots of shows, and I had to jet out quickly at the end. We never got a chance to hang, and I didn't want him to think I had dissed him. If he's on the board, and he'll knew who he is, just PM me.

I realized I needed to reach out when I viewed the vid I took during "Evenflow", and as Matt is getting into his solo, the guy is yelling "There's your boy!" Loved it.

Are these PJ guys a different species, or what? It is hard to imagine a more hard-working, more giving, or more dedicated group of people, sharing their music and spirit. Astonishing, and gives me hope.

Jon Szanto
    thank u for this post
  • djklambakedjklambake PHX, AZ Posts: 2,510
    Envoy wrote:
    A monumental evening.

Jon Szanto

Mr. Szanto... so glad you were in attendance that night... and thank you for posting this :)
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/4/12 - (Eddie Vedder) Phoenix, AZ
    11/1/13 - New Orleans, LA
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
    8/22/16 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley 2)
  • This might not be an appropriate FANVIEW, but it will be like my attempt at a love letter to the band!
    I have been reliving this show since the night ended, hoping to conjure up some amount of eloquence to do Pearl Jam justice. I have only been attending PJ concerts since 2000 which makes me not an old or new fan but happily in the middle. Unfortunately, this was only my 10th show . . . I wish I had a lower PJ fan club number and more concerts on my belt . . . but with this show, I could not have wished for more. I am so glad I got to experience San Diego 2013 in GA with so many fellow TEN CLUBBERS with more band accolades than myself.

Pearl Jam, I cannot appropriately put into words how thankful I am for all of the time you have spent with us, away from your families. Over the years, your music has evolved, and as it changes I continue to become more solidified in my pride as a 10 club member. Calling it a club, doesn't do Pearl Jam justice as your music and your reach is more like a movement and a way of life. How can we, your followers, only just be fan club members? 11/21/2013 was an honor as you shared so much of your family with us. It was also an evening where the lines blurred . . . and all of us in attendance became one big family. I have felt the energy of your music within myself for years, but 11/21/2013 was an opportunity to feel what you give to your music and to us and I felt it to the core. I was emotionally and physically exhausted two hours in, yet you all had another hour and a half of TRANSCENDENCE left . . . HOW IS THAT FUCKING POSSIBLE????

All of this this makes sense but no sense at all, but trust me, I send the band as much gratitude as I can muster, knowing that you deserve so much more. The opportunity to connect so strongly with five men (and Boom) that I will likely never meet along with their thousands of fans continues to become more and for surreal . . . but "even the smallest ocean, still gets big big waves!"

I am still riding the high that was. The low that follows is calling my name as my need to re-experience what was begins to find it's way in. As the haze clears, I once again realize the length of time before I can re-experience what was will inevitably be longer than I can stand. Yet the difference that 11/21/13 also means, is that it was a once in a lifetime experience that cannot be duplicated. Oh it can get depressing . . . "But it makes much more sense to live in the present tense."

Here is hoping that each 10 clubber has or will get to have their moment with the band as well! Until the next tour . . .Pearl Jam, thank you from the bottom of my soul!
  • Agree with everyone, great show.
    As always, what sucks about every Pearl Jam show is that it always ends!