Options

By my humble opinion..There are 6 GREAT bands of all time

TK31831TK31831 Posts: 13
edited November 2013 in The Porch
'Great' is very difficult to define and these are not necessarily my favorite bands but these bands have been around for a long time and continue to be loved by so many... here goes..

Led Zeppelin
The Rolling Stones
The Beatles
U2
Grateful Dead
Pearl Jam

And by looking at this list, I think it's fair to say that Pearl Jam is the greatest American Rock Band of all time..
We all walk the Long Road
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    Metallica has proven their worth many times over as well, Pink Floyd as well
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    So many bands missing

Pink Floyd
    The Who
    Bruce
    CCR
    Metallica
    Iron Maiden
    Allman Brothers
    TOOL
    The fucking Band!!!
    Sabbath
    Hendrix
    Radiohead

I'd have a hard time putting them firmly at the top of the US bands over the Dead, Bruce, Allman or CCR and maybe some others.
  • Options
    One HUGE omission.... NEIL YOUNG
  • Options
    WhyGo91WhyGo91 Posts: 639
    10ctoronto wrote:
    One HUGE omission.... NEIL YOUNG

+1
    446927_artist.jpg?0119
  • Options
    TheGhostTheGhost Posts: 534
    bold statement. I get what you're talking about. Great, huge, live bands that unite thousands in incredible shows... E street band definitely deserves to join the list beyond a doubt.

how about:
    Stones
    PJ
    Dead
    E street
    U2
    Zep
    ......?
    Your light made us stars
  • Options
    TheGhostTheGhost Posts: 534
    DewieCox wrote:
    So many bands missing

Pink Floyd
    The Who
    Bruce
    CCR
    Metallica
    Iron Maiden
    Allman Brothers
    TOOL
    The fucking Band!!!
    Sabbath
    Hendrix
    Radiohead

I'd have a hard time putting them firmly at the top of the US bands over the Dead, Bruce, Allman or CCR and maybe some others.

The fucking Band indeed!!!
    Your light made us stars
  • Options
    I am sure other people would possibly add to the list: Elvis, Bob Marley, Slayer, and even Rush.
    I wouldn't disagree... but my picks for live shows and studio recordings are: Pearl Jam, Zeppelin, Neil Young, Hendrix, The Who, and Beatles. Pearl Jam wins if we include a third category of charitable , socially/politically active, and kind people.
  • Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,598
    60's : Beatles, Rolling Stones
    70's: Who, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd
    80's: U2, Metallica, possibly REM
    90's: Pearl Jam, Nirvana
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    TK31831 wrote:
    'Great' is very difficult to define and these are not necessarily my favorite bands but these bands have been around for a long time and continue to be loved by so many... here goes..

Led Zeppelin
    The Rolling Stones
    The Beatles
    U2
    Grateful Dead
    Pearl Jam

And by looking at this list, I think it's fair to say that Pearl Jam is the greatest American Rock Band of all time..

Other than U2 sucking and the Dead being hit or miss depending on the night and what drugs you were on, that's a fantastic list. Oh, and any greatest list that doesn't include The Who is automatically null and void. So, other than you completely missing, you did a great job! :D
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,316
    edited November 2013
    TheGhost wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:
    So many bands missing

Pink Floyd
    The Who
    Bruce
    CCR
    Metallica
    Iron Maiden
    Allman Brothers
    TOOL
    The fucking Band!!!
    Sabbath
    Hendrix
    Radiohead

The fucking Band indeed!!!
    And that guy they backed for a few years, somebody named DYLAN. And any group Eric Clapton's in at any given moment.
    Post edited by HollisBrown on
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    I agree to scratch off U2. They have a handful of good older songs, musicianship-wise/lyrically-wise... but they also have some really cheesy junk. If you are going to add U2, you might as well add Bon Jovi. :P
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,903
    The Who
    Bob Dylan
    Neil Young
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    Don Henley said it best when refusing to accept Grammy for the Eagles. Music is not a competition.
  • Options
    And please stop it with Neil Young. Not even his own fan club message board thinks that.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    And please stop it with Neil Young. Not even his own fan club message board thinks that.

No one can truly believe that.

I was sticking to bands, otherwise he and Dylan are gimmes.
  • Options
    HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,316
    How bout C,S,N & Y or Buffalo Springfield?
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    Pearl Jam
    Pink Floyd
    Beatles
    Beastie Boys (yep, I said it.. and fuck off if you dont like it)
    Led Zep
    The Band
    **7th spot would certainly go to the Stones, if there was one**

individual:

Hendrix
    Dylan
    Howlin' Wolf
    Muddy Waters
    Elvis
    Cash
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • Options
    YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    Band:
    Pearl Jam
    Stones
    Led Zep
    Bruce & E Street
    Pink Floyd
    Beatles

Flyin' Solo:
    Van Morrison
    Dylan
    Hendrix
    Cash
    Elvis
    Otis Redding
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options
    fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    hrd2imgn wrote:
    Metallica has proven their worth many times over as well, Pink Floyd as well

I think people often forget how important Metallica was in the '80s because they're too busy focusing on later Metallica. Kill 'em All, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, and And Justice for All are amazing albums that influenced so many.
  • Options
    YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    First of all...there is no official Neil Young fan club.
    Second of all...you're wrong about the Neil fans thinking that. We surely do. :-)
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • Options
    fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    Caveeze wrote:
    Pearl Jam
    Pink Floyd
    Beatles
    Beastie Boys (yep, I said it.. and fuck off if you dont like it)
    Led Zep
    The Band
    **7th spot would certainly go to the Stones, if there was one**

individual:

Hendrix
    Dylan
    Howlin' Wolf
    Muddy Waters
    Elvis
    Cash

Hey, we agree on Beastie Boys :) Anyone who questions their greatness/importance/influence/originality/genius is a complete dolt. See, we don't always disagree.
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    Beatles
    Rolling Stones
    Led Zeppelin
    The Who
    Pearl Jam

That's my list of "great" bands. And the above is in no order.

There is a long, long list of great artists and "good" bands
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,772
    If we're talking rock and roll/ rock bands as a musical unit and not individual contributors I would go with:

The Beatles
    The Rolling Stones
    The Who
    The Doors
    Led Zeppelin
    Pearl Jam

This leaves some hugely important individuals of course. My top six (I can't count very well) are:

Little Richard
    Chuck Berry
    Elvis Presley
    Brian Wilson
    Bob Dylan
    Jimi Hendrix
    Neil Young

Not to mention a whole slew of personal favorites. My Top six honorable mentions:

Lou Reed/ Velvet Underground
    The New York Dolls
    The Ramones
    R.E.M.
    Mission of Burma
    The Replacements
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    jimc3jimc3 Posts: 230
    (bands only)

I think the big 4 of the Beatles, Stones, Led Zep and the Who are all lock must-haves 1st tier, Mt Rushmore immortals.

I think the 2nd grouping (had the magic of the big 4 but not for long enough) is Floyd, Doors, Radiohead, Hendrix/Experience

third tier (ie at one point lit the WORLD on FIRE, but are just short of immortal) would be Beach Boys, U2, Ramones, Springsteen/E St, Prince/Revolution, Police, Clash, Aerosmith, Sabbath, Nirvana

4th tier (super-special, super-talented but just missing that thunder-god gene) would be REM, Niel Young/CH, Queen, G Dead, Ramones, Velvet U, Petty/Heartbreakers

All that being said, I think it's fair to slot Pearl Jam somewhere in the higher end of the 3rd tier.

additional thoughts:

I would love to see the Pixies, Husker Du, Dinosaur Jr, Buzzcocks, Mission of Burma, Minutemen more into these conversations, but obviously they never had the wide commercial appeal.

I also love S'garden, AIC, Pumpkins, Peppers and even Green Daybut they just miss the GREAT level

personally don't think Metallica, ACDC, J Priest, Van Halen, GnR deserve to make this list. and I like "metal".

aside from that, I don't get how Spoon never gets mentioned AT ALL in these conversations. they're not young pups anymore. they have more than a handful of incredible albums, are studio wizards AND live gems, and are absolute critical darlings. I know they only took off on the radio a tiny bit once, but I feel like history will judge them well.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,772
    jimc3 wrote:
    (bands only)

I think the big 4 of the Beatles, Stones, Led Zep and the Who are all lock must-haves 1st tier, Mt Rushmore immortals.

I think the 2nd grouping (had the magic of the big 4 but not for long enough) is Floyd, Doors, Radiohead, Hendrix/Experience

third tier (ie at one point lit the WORLD on FIRE, but are just short of immortal) would be Beach Boys, U2, Ramones, Springsteen/E St, Prince/Revolution, Police, Clash, Aerosmith, Sabbath, Nirvana

4th tier (super-special, super-talented but just missing that thunder-god gene) would be REM, Niel Young/CH, Queen, G Dead, Ramones, Velvet U, Petty/Heartbreakers

All that being said, I think it's fair to slot Pearl Jam somewhere in the higher end of the 3rd tier.

additional thoughts:

I would love to see the Pixies, Husker Du, Dinosaur Jr, Buzzcocks, Mission of Burma, Minutemen more into these conversations, but obviously they never had the wide commercial appeal.

I also love S'garden, AIC, Pumpkins, Peppers and even Green Daybut they just miss the GREAT level

personally don't think Metallica, ACDC, J Priest, Van Halen, GnR deserve to make this list. and I like "metal".

aside from that, I don't get how Spoon never gets mentioned AT ALL in these conversations. they're not young pups anymore. they have more than a handful of incredible albums, are studio wizards AND live gems, and are absolute critical darlings. I know they only took off on the radio a tiny bit once, but I feel like history will judge them well.

This post = great read!

Spoon- new to me- will check it out.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    If you're talking about long term influence on music I guess you're talking The Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Who, Neil Young, Springsteen, ACDC, Ramones to name a few. Bowie too.
    If you read about the bands you like, in interviews they reveal their influences. That's how I got into Neil Young all those years ago cos he played with PJ at the MTV awards.
    Happy up here in my tree
  • Options
    10ctoronto wrote:
    I agree to scratch off U2. They have a handful of good older songs, musicianship-wise/lyrically-wise... but they also have some really cheesy junk. If you are going to add U2, you might as well add Bon Jovi. :P

Love it! And please.................. Let's all make sure Bon Jovi end up nowhere near this list
  • Options
    Beatles
    Rolling Stones
    Led Zeppelin
    The Who
    Pearl Jam

That's my list of "great" bands. And the above is in no order.

There is a long, long list of great artists and "good" bands

Finally. That's the List.

brianlux wrote:
    If we're talking rock and roll/ rock bands as a musical unit and not individual contributors I would go with:

The Beatles
    The Rolling Stones
    The Who
    The Doors
    Led Zeppelin
    Pearl Jam

And a very fine addition to bring it to the 6 the OP mentioned. Listen to the guys that have actually been through it. Thank you, Pete (?) and Brian for bringing truth to this thread.
  • Options
    brianlux wrote:
    jimc3 wrote:
    (bands only)

additional thoughts:

This post = great read!

Love that post, too even though I don't like all the folks he talks about (Radiohead? really? I think Talking Heads are more properly put in that tier than Radiohead. There is no Radiohead without the Heads.) One thing these lists are all missing is Eric Clapton. There isn't a guitarist alive that would not point to him as one of the immortals. Not sure where he fits on your list, but he would be the Theodore Roosevelt on the Mount Rushmore of guitarists with Jimi, Jimmy and BB.
  • Options
    jimc3jimc3 Posts: 230
    brianlux wrote:
    jimc3 wrote:
    (aside from that, I don't get how Spoon never gets mentioned AT ALL in these conversations. they're not young pups anymore. they have more than a handful of incredible albums, are studio wizards AND live gems, and are absolute critical darlings. I know they only took off on the radio a tiny bit once, but I feel like history will judge them well.

This post = great read!

thanks. start with A Series of Sneaks. you will NOT be disappointed. then you can take off from there.