Options

Lightning Bolt first reviews

Comments

• Options
    jtr101jtr101 Posts: 260
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    jtr101 wrote:
    Absolutely loving this album!! I've listened to it non-stop since it was streamning last week (at work, at home, at the gym). Now that I have the disc, I've added to car listening to the list. Love having the lyrics and have throughly enjoyed sitting down at home with the headphones on absorbed in the new music with liner notes in hand.

For me the only weak link on this album is LTRP. If I had to pic favorites, I am loving Getway, Lighting Bolt and I love the Infalable, Pendulum, Swallowed Whole trifecta.

As for mixed reviews - who cares. It's all subjective anyway. If the music hits you, that's all that matters.

And I don't get all the hate for Future Days. This is a beautiful song.

I think the hate for Future Days comes from the fact that it essentially Ed And BoB on his casio keyboard and not a whole band effort. I think the song would have been better if it was just a solo acoustic guitar, the keys make it extra cheesy.
    They just should have used a real piano. If they had, it would be a WAY better song.

I can agree with that to an extent, i personally don't find the lyrics all that great either to be honest but thats just me.... Just feels like a Just Breathe 2.0 ....
    Enjoy difference. Without it we're all boring!

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    jtr101 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    jtr101 wrote:

I think the hate for Future Days comes from the fact that it essentially Ed And BoB on his casio keyboard and not a whole band effort. I think the song would have been better if it was just a solo acoustic guitar, the keys make it extra cheesy.
    They just should have used a real piano. If they had, it would be a WAY better song.

I can agree with that to an extent, i personally don't find the lyrics all that great either to be honest but thats just me.... Just feels like a Just Breathe 2.0 ....
    Well, that's true... the lyrics don't really grab me either, although there is nothing wrong with them. I can appreciate a simple love song... this one isn't a stellar one, but it's not that bad either. Anyway, at least with a real piano we wouldn't cringe at the end. :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    jtr101jtr101 Posts: 260
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Well, that's true... the lyrics don't really grab me either, although there is nothing wrong with them. I can appreciate a simple love song... this one isn't a stellar one, but it's not that bad either. Anyway, at least with a real piano we wouldn't cringe at the end. :lol:

Fair enough...haha...
    Enjoy difference. Without it we're all boring!

• Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    Well, I definitely need more listens...I've only listened to it twice. But now I kinda understand the BoB arguments. I figured the intro/outro in Future Days would be important to the entire song. Its like the song is just sandwiched in between and that that piano is the bookends...it makes no sense to me.

I'd rank the albums like this:
    Yield
    No Code
    Ten
    Vs
    Vitalogy
    Binaural
    riot act
    Avocado
    Lightning Bolt
    Backspacer

There are no stand-outs to me yet, but as I said, I need more listens.

Getaway....great opener. I dig it.
    Mind Your Manners... fun and energetic.
    Father's Son... Kinda mish-moshy... Not sure yet..
    Sirens... Its Ok.
    Lightning Bolt...pretty good.
    Infallible... Cool tune, but I dont get the hype ( I hope I change my mind)
    Pendulum... Awesome. The drums are fantastic.
    Swallowed Whole... I honestly dont remember much of the song after two listens. Not very memorable..
    Let the Records Play... MAN! I thought this was Led Zeppelin for a second. Cool tune.
    Sleeping by Myself...face palm, face palm, face palm. ugh groan. I've never done this before, but I may reburn the disc without SBM. It was painful to sit through.
    Yellow Moon...I'm also not getting the hype. Lyrics are vanilla. "Round we go, where we stop, noone knows?" :fp:
    Future Days... Piano is atrocious. Feels like Just Breathe 2.

Again, I need more listens. I hope it grows on me. :problem:
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    CranMalReignCranMalReign Posts: 1,928
    OK here's where I stand.

After the first listen last night, I gave it 7/10 (9/10 for first half, 5/10 for last).

After more listens last night and today, it's trending downward.

Quite honestly, I don't see this CD taking out a mortgage for my car stereo like, say, the latest QOTSA record did. I could not get enough of that disk and spun it dozens of times for months. But Lightning Bolt... idunno... I see a short honeymoon period while I'm still excited for new PJ music, then it ends up being stuck in my giant CD case to be plucked out for nostalgia every now and again. I do enjoy many of the lyrics, but I don't listen to PJ just for lyrics.
    • Getaway - Had me grooving on first listen, but not a true standout
    • Mind Your Manners - Loved it at first, but now it's wearing on me
    • My Father's Son - Lyrically trying to squeeze in between Alive and Once. Musically, reminds me of Johnny Guitar or something, which to me just sounds weird.
    • Sirens - Don't hate it as much as I did when it was released, but still not in love with adult contemporary radio.
    • Lightning Bolt - Unthought Known 2.0. I enjoy it more on the album than I do live.
    • Infallible - Tremor Christ with a touch of Burden in My Hand in the chorus. I dig the groove, and loved it in Pittsburgh and Buffalo, but the more I listen to it, the more the sheen wears off.
    • Pendulum - Best track on the record. This is beautiful and I truly love this song.
    • Swallowed Whole - I've listened to the album 6 times, and I still can't remember how this one goes. That's got to say something.
    • Let the Records Play - Stone: "Hey guys, let's do a bluesy song! Whaddya say? Think we can shoehorn something together?"
    • Sleeping by Myself - Ugh. Fan Club Holiday Single snuck its way onto the album!
    • Yellow Moon - Growing on me, but overall, it's a "nice" song. Into the Wild tune.
    • Future Days - [ insert gripe about cheesy piano ] - Made-to-Order wedding song for 10 Club members.
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 03 Pgh|Philly|PSU|Camden 1+2|Hershey
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 08 Camden 1+2|Hartford|Mansfield 2
    • 09 Philly 1 [EV]|Toronto|Spectrum 1-4
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 13 London|Pgh|Buff|Philly 1+2|Balt
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 16 Philly 1+2|Philly 2 [TotD]
    • 18 Boston 1+2
  • Options
    jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484
    edited October 2013
    I wrote a review for Examiner, more geared toward the casual reader, but some of you folks may enjoy it

http://www.examiner.com/review/review-p ... ht?cid=rss

I loved your style, man. Review started with a very proper writing style and then comes the phrase: "you hipster-doofus Pitchfork reading folks".

:clap: :thumbup: for putting the album at 2013 best, but QoTSA album also deserves some mentioning in 2013 best albums talk.
    Post edited by jumbojet on
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
  • Options
    jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484
    I dig the album and it literally raised my overall mood significantly in the last week or so. I cannot stop smiling. FOr sure, some of that positive vibe comes from seeing my baby's smiles but PJ effect is there.

I'm already thinking how great it will be next time to see PJ live, with these new songs. Hoping for Euro-14 announcement, already.
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
  • Options
    ponner1usponner1us Posts: 736
    I do not like this album, not one bit
    It is quite boring, kind of sh!t
    I have listened in my car,
    I have listened at the bar,
    I have listened, near and far.
    4 years I waited, waited for this,
    LB songs at live shows=time to piss.
    Really really quite ho-hum
    Except for one great one, Pendulum

Oh well, they can't all be great.
    Journey Begins: 1992-08-15, Montage Mountain Performing Arts Center,
    Scranton, Pennsylvania

Journey Ends:
  • Options
    jumbojet wrote:
    :clap: :thumbup: for putting the album at 2013 best, but when you said since Gaslight Anthem 2012, wasnt it somewhat unfair to QoTSA album of this year?

That QOTSA album is a masterpiece, imho.

I don't buy nearly as much music as I used to, so I can't speculate on "best of the year" or anything like that... but at the end of the day, Lightning Bolt doesn't hold a candle to Like Clockwork. I barely stopped listening to the Queens album since the day it leaked [and yes, I had already preordered it when I got the leaked version... shame on me, but I paid the artist so nyah!]. It took up permanent residence in my car stereo since May. I took it out for Lightning Bolt, and Lightning Bolt won't be staying there long.
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 18 Boston 1+2
  • Options
    jmuscatellojmuscatello Colorado Posts: 332
    Half this album is fucking outstanding. Territory the band has not ventured to in some time. The other half sucks and would fit nicely as backspacer b-sides. Seriously, sleeping by myself is a joke, yellow moon is sirens broke cousin....never heard an album be so good and so shitty at the same time.
    Keep listening to Yellow Moon, seriously. It wasn't in my top few initially, but after listening more it's become, to me, a pretty brilliant song. Nothing in common with Sirens, not a bit of sentimentality. Others sort of dismissed it as "nice". This song seems to be about gun violence with a heavy sense of weariness and hopelessness - nothing happy or nice here. Much more NAIS or Parting Ways in tone. Again, you might just not like it, and that's okay, but for some reason I feel compelled to defend this one. I think it's outstanding songwriting.
  • Options
    keyserkeyser Posts: 67
    ltrp 1.5/5...shania twain meets bugs bunny meets zz top meets jeepers creepers and was supposed to meet up with DoTheEvoloution for beers but got lost on the way and then just eventually gave up looking. yuck. this one is a mess.

:lol::lol::lol:
    If nothing is everything, I will have it all
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    Half this album is fucking outstanding. Territory the band has not ventured to in some time. The other half sucks and would fit nicely as backspacer b-sides. Seriously, sleeping by myself is a joke, yellow moon is sirens broke cousin....never heard an album be so good and so shitty at the same time.
    Keep listening to Yellow Moon, seriously. It wasn't in my top few initially, but after listening more it's become, to me, a pretty brilliant song. Nothing in common with Sirens, not a bit of sentimentality. Others sort of dismissed it as "nice". This song seems to be about gun violence with a heavy sense of weariness and hopelessness - nothing happy or nice here. Much more NAIS or Parting Ways in tone. Again, you might just not like it, and that's okay, but for some reason I feel compelled to defend this one. I think it's outstanding songwriting.

I agree. Ed is doing this thing lately ... on this album and others ... where a lyric that seems simple on the surface actually becomes quite profound once you marinate on it a while.

Yellow Moon is one of those.

I feel a little sorry for those who dismiss "simple" lyric off hand and never listen to certain songs again. They are missing out.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    CTD10CTD10 Posts: 351
    I feel sorry for those people who do not like this record. 100 times better then backspacer and imho LB is up there with anything else this band has ever done....its a great record.
    ctd
  • Options
    iamicaiamica Chicago Posts: 2,628
    Just listened to it the second time. Better than Backspacer...

Getaway - Like the music, don't like the lyrics. Sorry, Ed.
    Mind Your Manners - Same as Getaway. Also I think it sounds a lot like most of the stuff they've done recently.
    My Father's Son - Sounded meh to me at first, but I liked it better the second time. Powerful.
    Sirens - Can't stop listening to this song, easily one of my favorites. The music and the message are fantastic.
    Lightning Bolt - For some reason, I just can't get into this song. Not sure why.
    Infallible - YES YES YES! This is pure gold. I absolutely love it.
    Pendulum - Love this one too, very dark and creepy and brooding.
    Swallowed Whole - Didn't think much of this one at first, but it's growing on me.
    Let The Records Play - You know what, I like it when they experiment. This is an interesting one.
    Sleeping By Myself - I'm trying to like this one, I really am.
    Yellow Moon - Thought it was OK the first time, listened to it again and am really digging it.
    Future Days - Didn't like it when I first heard it. Second time around, I think I could like it eventually.

Interesting mix of songs...only one f word, surprisingly...and for those who said it sounds "adult contemporary", I'm afraid I have to agree with you there. :fp: But on the whole, I think this one is pretty good.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • Options
    crober72crober72 Bartlett, IL Posts: 81
    I do begrudgingly agree with the "adult contemporary" comment. And if they one came out 10 years ago, that fact would probably have me hating this....But, as it is, I'm 41 and my tastes have firmly drifted into "dad rock" the last few years, so I guess it plays better with my sensibilities than it might have a few years ago. But, saying that, I have to say that after two days and probably 10 listens, I really like LB. When I heard the title track at Wrigley, I somehow got the idea that this album was going to be closer to "Yield" than what it turned out to be. To me, Ten through Yield is the era that really defines Pearl Jam, so it is almost impossible for anything they do to stand up to that. But that doesn't mean I don't appreciate this for what it is. At times the production is a little too slick for my tastes, but you know...if my tastes have mellowed somewhat over the last 22 years, then it's only natural that a band like PJ might mellow over time.

Anyway, song by song.....
    Getaway - Love it. Can't get it out of my head (in a good way). IMO, best opening track to a PJ album since Brain of J.
    MYM - As the most familiar one on here, also one I really like as much as anything on the album.
    My Father's Son - One that's growing on me the more I listen to it.
    Sirens - I think it is a cheesy 80s power ballad, and I kinda want to hate it. But the more I listen to it, the more the opposite is true.
    Lightning Bolt - If it weren't for some of the "sonic flourishes" that were added, this song would have been at home on Yield. Liked it better live when they played it at Wrigley, but still a pretty good song.
    Infallible - The first time I listened to it, the opening made me think "Maroon 5" (not good). I think the song is better than that, but having trouble getting past that first impression.
    Pedulum - Another one that is taking me a while to get into.
    Swallowed Whole - I've seen others describe this as REM meets the Who and also something that would have been at home on Into the Wild. I like REM and the Who a lot...and also really like Setting Forth. So, as you can guess, I like this one, too.
    Let the Records Play - The bluesy thing just doesn't seem like PJ to me. Don't hate it, but not a standout for me.
    Sleeping By Myself - I do agree with others that it feels a little out of place, and I kinda feel like I *should* hate this one. But I find it's another one that's been consistently stuck in my head the last two days.
    Yellow Moon - Another one that minus some of the "production sheen" would have fit on one of their older albums. Growing on me.
    Future Days - A pretty song. When they played it at Wrigley, I thought it sounded like Just Breathe. Like Maroon 5 and Infallible, that impression is proving hard to shake. I think I'd like this one better if the album were one or two songs shorter.

We'll see how I feel about it after a couple of weeks. For now, I think 7/10 is a pretty good score. This band has never made what I would call a bad album, and LB doesn't change that for me.
  • Options
    TyTy Posts: 1,007
    Killer album with good flow. Reminds me of Yield, maybe No Code. Love it, more than I thought I would! And as most albums... "Sleeping By Myself" is the one that should never have made it. It's corny, and the solo version was great. And they should have started "Sirens" without the drum beats, just the guitar.
    PJ - Sydney 1998; Sydney 2003; Sydney, Melbourne, Newcastle 2006; Melbourne, Sydney 2009; Gold Coast, Melbourne, Sydney 2014.
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle, Sydney 2011; Sydney 2014.
  • Options
    OutOfBreathOutOfBreath Posts: 1,804
    Listened to it back to back 4-5 times now. And although I think it may be a little better than Backspacer (which is hands-down their worst album), it's sadly not by much. I think pitchfork nailed my feelings for the later years' direction of the band in their review:
    pitchfork wrote:
    The Pearl Jam mythos as it exists today is undeniably wrapped up in their notoriously epic live shows, wherein the band is famous for loosening up and stretching out, but for whatever reason, that adventurous ethos rarely translates to their increasingly mannered albums. Pearl Jam on record have essentially been reduced to the rock ‘n’ roll version of wearing sweatpants: they’ve given up trying to impress anyone, so they may as well be comfortable.

They seem a bit too content these days and make too straight-forward arrangements that fail to captivate me. They used to have a sincerity, intensity and immediacy that now just fails to translate through. As for Lightning Bolt, it isn't all bad. There are elements and moments here and there that are good, but sadly, they rarely are consistent for a whole song. Only 3-4 of the songs make me perk my ears, while several leave me completely indifferent.

And no, I'm not one of those who think they strayed after Ten. I love to bits the entire stretch from Ten to and including Binaural (which I am rediscovering these days, and upping my valuation of). That's when they still tried complex arrangements, experimented with sounds and threw surprise balls at you. Riot Act was saved for me by I am mine, which is such a great song, and the political activism inherent in it. The self-titled album was half good, half not, and sadly, the half-not is the direction they've taken since. The two last albums are the least good, and the ones that leave me indifferent. Which none of their first 7-8 albums did.

Anywho. I'm holding out for them trying to be difficult again. They may still come back with great things, but they have to get out of their current comfort zone.

Peace
    Dan
    "YOU [humans] NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN'T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME?" - Death

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert, Dune, 1965
  • Options
    CTD10 wrote:
    I feel sorry for those people who do not like this record. 100 times better then backspacer and imho LB is up there with anything else this band has ever done....its a great record.

That's kinda twisted, you feel sorry because people don't like the same thing as you? musical taste differs hugely from one person to next your taste isn't any better than mine or the next person.
    Speaking as a child of the 90's
  • Options
    Save MeSave Me Posts: 147
    I think this is half a great album and half average to bad.

Awesome:
    Getaway
    MYM
    My Fathers Son
    LB
    Pendulum

Average
    Swallowed Whole
    Yellow Moon
    Future Days (ending piano is awful)
    Infallible

Take me out to the back and shoot me:
    Sirens
    Sleeping By Myself
    Let The Records Play
    "The Wild is chasing after me. Hot on my trail won't leave me alone. All I can see is your blood right in front of me, and I can't kill The Wild." Me
  • Options
    CTD10 wrote:

That's kinda twisted, you feel sorry because people don't like the same thing as you? musical taste differs hugely from one person to next your taste isn't any better than mine or the next person.

I agree with ya..
    But I feel sorry for myself. I wish I liked LB more. :cry:

Has anyone else had the impression that this album is lyrically, or rather vocal heavy... For instance, I kinda like Sirens, but its SO wordy. I was reading the lyrics to some fof the songs and Im amazed that Ed might be able to remember all the words to these songs because they're so wordy (with the exception of Yellow Moon). Sirens is like 5+ minutes and it seems like its ALL vocals, like there's no break for you to enjoy the instruments. Same with Fathers Son, LB, and Future days.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    iamica wrote:
    Just listened to it the second time. Better than Backspacer...

Getaway - Like the music, don't like the lyrics. Sorry, Ed.
    Mind Your Manners - Same as Getaway. Also I think it sounds a lot like most of the stuff they've done recently.
    My Father's Son - Sounded meh to me at first, but I liked it better the second time. Powerful.
    Sirens - Can't stop listening to this song, easily one of my favorites. The music and the message are fantastic.
    Lightning Bolt - For some reason, I just can't get into this song. Not sure why.
    Infallible - YES YES YES! This is pure gold. I absolutely love it.
    Pendulum - Love this one too, very dark and creepy and brooding.
    Swallowed Whole - Didn't think much of this one at first, but it's growing on me.
    Let The Records Play - You know what, I like it when they experiment. This is an interesting one.
    Sleeping By Myself - I'm trying to like this one, I really am.
    Yellow Moon - Thought it was OK the first time, listened to it again and am really digging it.
    Future Days - Didn't like it when I first heard it. Second time around, I think I could like it eventually.

Interesting mix of songs...only one f word, surprisingly...and for those who said it sounds "adult contemporary", I'm afraid I have to agree with you there. :fp: But on the whole, I think this one is pretty good.
    People, adult contemporary is Celine Dion, Elton John, Ricky Martin, shit like that. Anyone who says that LB sounds adult contemporary has NO idea what adult contemporary is.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    People, adult contemporary is Celine Dion, Elton John, Ricky Martin, shit like that. Anyone who says that Sirens doesn't sound adult contemporary has NO idea what adult contemporary is.

Fixed.
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 18 Boston 1+2
  • Options
    mk5877mk5877 Posts: 13
    cp3iverson wrote:
    As a semi-audiophile I cant bring myself to listen to the stream.

My turntable is waiting for Oct. 15

Turntable still waiting ? Mine is. Thanks PJ for the timely delivery .
  • Options
    mk5877mk5877 Posts: 13
    Save Me wrote:
    I think this is half a great album and half average to bad.

Take me out to the back and shoot me:
    Sirens
    Sleeping By Myself
    Let The Records Play

if I'm getting shot over this , please do it during Future days or any of the above. Let the Records Play sounds like a take on Shanaya Twain "Man i feel like a women..."
  • Options
    MW3384MW3384 Posts: 122
    Infallible is good. Missing "of the earth" was really hoping for that track. The problem is songs only have small Eddie baritone parts. Used to be the music evolved around his voice and the song, now his voice is just added in and sounds kinda of the same on each track. I can't really explain whether it's age or the way he's writing songs. It's just different. It's good just doesn't blow me away. Still can't believe it took 4 years to make this album. Took Ed like a month to make into the wild and it's a better album. I still appreciate anything new, the days and chance for more albums is coming close to the end. Maybe one or two more tops IMO
  • Options
    First time ever on the board and I guess this record's got me wanting to talk! Like many posts I've seen, I feel a lot of "strong like" for about 7 of the songs, while on a few I'm still up in the air. And IMO if this CD was dominated by the sound of two of the songs, I feel like we'd be hearing Sirens with the medics on the way cause PJ would be in its Final Days.

But plenty of positives to make me look forward to their next release in hopefully shorter than 4-5 years. After repeated listens, I'm really liking the opening two tracks although definitely not the strongest openings they've ever had. Still, it's good stuff. But the first song that I've been digging since first listen is Let The Records Play. Just has a great groove, a little different PJ sound, and love the McCready break with Eddie yowling in the background. I read someone's comment and there is a part where it shifts gear a little and I agree that drags the song a little, but I crank it up everytime I play it. For me, reminds me of Get Right. Pendulum is really growing on me and I can see how that would be a great opening for a show. Great atmospheric and the production done to the song works for me (unlike some overproduction elsewhere). Lightning Bolt and Swallowed Whole are good, and I think Yellow Moon's by far the best slow tune (not counting Pendulum).

I've heard a lot of hype for Father Son and see plenty of people love it and love the hard edge. I get that, but there's just not enough great music with it for me to want to listen to it over and over. Kind of the same for me with Infallible. I'm liking the lyrics the more I hear it, but even Eddie's lyrics aren't enough to keep my interest if the music's not matching. It's hard to explain, but it's like too much on this record that's too produced and not enough of the raw PJ and quirky PJ that makes them special.

Fortunately, all the music above's enough for me to overcome Sirens and Final Days. I've given Sirens repeated listens and I can honestly say that I kind of like the song...for the first 49 seconds. After that, it degenerates until by the end I'm feeling like Pearl Jam's suddenly part of a Whitesnake video and Celine Dion's warming up backstage. Okay, maybe not that bad yet, but... I'm not against slow tunes, ballads, whatever you got. And I've got a few 80s power ballads on my iPod. But this trend starting with Backspacer to now with these two songs. I don't know where it's going. I guess we'll see when the next one comes out. BUT, Sirens is the Sex Pistols compared to Final Days! I don't know what to say about this song except "This is Pearl Jam?!!!" I can't believe the boys in the band heard that song in the mix and said "That's a keeper!" Excuse me to anyone that likes this song. No disrespect intended. I know there are songs I like that other people couldn't comprehend. But it's just depressing to me listening to that song coming from this band. I'll just say one more thing: Someone throw that fuckin' piano out the studio window! Are you really going to make Boom play that live?!

Okay, I'll stop. Thanks for hearing me out. I feel better now. It may not seem it, but all in all I'm pretty happy with this record. When I think about it, PJ's put out amazing music that I love from Ten to Avocado (that's right, I like that one!), and now they've put out some more really good tunes after 20+ years on the job. Keep it up, boys! And as Eddie would say sometimes, Mahalo!
  • Options
    weenieweenie Posts: 1,623
    First time ever on the board and I guess this record's got me wanting to talk! Like many posts I've seen, I feel a lot of "strong like" for about 7 of the songs, while on a few I'm still up in the air. And IMO if this CD was dominated by the sound of two of the songs, I feel like we'd be hearing Sirens with the medics on the way cause PJ would be in its Final Days.

But plenty of positives to make me look forward to their next release in hopefully shorter than 4-5 years. After repeated listens, I'm really liking the opening two tracks although definitely not the strongest openings they've ever had. Still, it's good stuff. But the first song that I've been digging since first listen is Let The Records Play. Just has a great groove, a little different PJ sound, and love the McCready break with Eddie yowling in the background. I read someone's comment and there is a part where it shifts gear a little and I agree that drags the song a little, but I crank it up everytime I play it. For me, reminds me of Get Right. Pendulum is really growing on me and I can see how that would be a great opening for a show. Great atmospheric and the production done to the song works for me (unlike some overproduction elsewhere). Lightning Bolt and Swallowed Whole are good, and I think Yellow Moon's by far the best slow tune (not counting Pendulum).

I've heard a lot of hype for Father Son and see plenty of people love it and love the hard edge. I get that, but there's just not enough great music with it for me to want to listen to it over and over. Kind of the same for me with Infallible. I'm liking the lyrics the more I hear it, but even Eddie's lyrics aren't enough to keep my interest if the music's not matching. It's hard to explain, but it's like too much on this record that's too produced and not enough of the raw PJ and quirky PJ that makes them special.

Fortunately, all the music above's enough for me to overcome Sirens and Final Days. I've given Sirens repeated listens and I can honestly say that I kind of like the song...for the first 49 seconds. After that, it degenerates until by the end I'm feeling like Pearl Jam's suddenly part of a Whitesnake video and Celine Dion's warming up backstage. Okay, maybe not that bad yet, but... I'm not against slow tunes, ballads, whatever you got. And I've got a few 80s power ballads on my iPod. But this trend starting with Backspacer to now with these two songs. I don't know where it's going. I guess we'll see when the next one comes out. BUT, Sirens is the Sex Pistols compared to Final Days! I don't know what to say about this song except "This is Pearl Jam?!!!" I can't believe the boys in the band heard that song in the mix and said "That's a keeper!" Excuse me to anyone that likes this song. No disrespect intended. I know there are songs I like that other people couldn't comprehend. But it's just depressing to me listening to that song coming from this band. I'll just say one more thing: Someone throw that fuckin' piano out the studio window! Are you really going to make Boom play that live?!
    Okay, I'll stop. Thanks for hearing me out. I feel better now. It may not seem it, but all in all I'm pretty happy with this record. When I think about it, PJ's put out amazing music that I love from Ten to Avocado (that's right, I like that one!), and now they've put out some more really good tunes after 20+ years on the job. Keep it up, boys! And as Eddie would say sometimes, Mahalo!

Great first post. Welcome. I've been away from the board for quite a while, but your comment about throwing the fucking piano out the window inspired me to post and say "exactly". I feel the same about the "violin" actually, fiddle. I think that Brendan O'Brian got carried away with himself due to the success of "Unthought Known", and committeed some serious overkill on this album.

Like others in this thread, the few great songs make up for the shit songs for me. I feel a serious disconnect between the great and the ugly on LB, but I'm happy to hear Mikey playing like the guitar God he really is on this one. That guy is long overdue the recognition he deserves. He alone won me over on a couple of tunes.

Anyway, I'm thinking that hearing the mediocre songs live will help. And I admit to being smitten over "Infallible". CAN'T WAIT to hear this band live again and hope to feel that same rush I've always experienced from their energy, mad musical skills and love.
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau
  • Options
    My impression of the album is improving after 5th listen. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 between a rock and a dumb place Posts: 12,632
    I like it

the end

.com
  • Options
    I will be honest, as hard as I am trying, I just cannot get into it. This is my opinion only, and equally respect those who do love it. Do not question my loyalty to PJ or EV please, as I am a die hard, "lifer" with PJ and EV (I am the one with the EV tat :) but also one that feels perfection cannot be achieved all the time in everything.

I have not posted in a while, my Mother died back in July, and I had to give away my 10c Pearl Jam tix as she died at the same time I was supposed to go to London On show. It was an awful time. I could not even listen to PJ since July as it brought back really sad memories of Mom dying.

So I thought, now is the time to jump back on board. With such a long wait since Backspacer (which BTW I did like some tunes on, like Just Breathe, still takes my breath away) I had high expectations.

Between the Country twang in "Sleeping by Myself" and Eddie almost sounding like Elvis on "Let the Records Play" and the "distortion effects" are not doing Eddie's voice any justice. Sorry I love my Eddie with a deep baritone (Nothing as It Seems) and to hold a note forever (like in Release Me or even Crown of Thorns for that matter) with a pitch that one could only dream of. (love the entire Into the Wild Soundtrack)

Perfect Band working together in sync to create magical pieces of musical art.

Lightning Bolt..again IMHO, does not achieve any of this. I do like Yellow Moon, deep, soulful, and "clean" in sound. Mystical lyrics. I find myself getting deeply into my PJ zone with that song.

I have tried, genuinely tried listening to the CD in different moods, settings, driving, sitting alone, listening with people, even lighting (it should not be this difficult!!) to get into it, and so far I have failed.(Other than Yellow Moon) I find it all over the place personally.

I am not a young buck, and have grown, as has PJ and EV. However, I am not so sure I can "grow" into Lightning Bolt.

Just my 2 pennies worth, take it for that :roll: :roll: