Options

Dear Ed, There is a such thing as a Responsible Gun Owner...

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    hostishostis Posts: 441
    Not only would I die for my children, but I would also Kill for them. Apparently, you do not value your children as highly as I do, which is a shame.

have you really just implied that because you will kill for your children it means you value them more?

such a responsible gun owner....
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    lcusick wrote:
    DevonPearl wrote:

Not to be a hippie, but trade guns with flowers... Make love not war etc. etc. etc. And lets face it, the first is much more fun than the latter.

+1
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    One comment on hunters: They're not sportsman. You ever that term? Sportsman. Peyton Manning is a sportsman. You're shooting animals is what you're doing. And that's fine with me. My buddy kills deer all the time and serves us up the dear meat on football Sundays and it's delicious. And the less deer there are to run out in the middle of the road while I'm driving the better. But it's not a sport. If the deer had a gun too, that'd be a sport. A bunch of hunters in the woods shooting at each other....that'd be a sport. But shooting animals is just that: shooting animals. It's not a sport.
    very well said
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    I think you should make a big poster telling ed why you are flipping him off. I think there will be a lot of people giving him the finger just because of how bad the new album is and he won't be able to differentiate between you and them.
    if you think what I believe is stupid, bizarre, ridiculous or outrageous.....it's ok, I think I had a brain tumor when I wrote that.
  • Options
    C'mon IS, you HAVE been here a long time, you know Ed doesn't wish harm.

Ugh

That's exactly why his words bothered me so much.
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    In honour of the tour and new album, can we just let this thread die? So tired of seeing it at the top when so many better PJ things are happening.
    Underneath this smile lies everything...
  • Options
    In honour of the tour and new album, can we just let this thread die? So tired of seeing it at the top when so many better PJ things are happening.
    need the mods to move it where it belongs,at AMT forum..
    its fuckin time we talk about music
  • Options

If you do not want to comment that is fine, with your comment on requesting people to 'kill' this thread you have made it go top. If you really believe in democracy you will allow it to go on as long as people want to debate.
    Speaking as a child of the 90's
  • Options

There is plenty of great threads on music just because you don't like one topic doesn't mean you have to demand it shut down, don't comment on it if you are apathetic
    Speaking as a child of the 90's
  • Options

There is plenty of great threads on music just because you don't like one topic doesn't mean you have to demand it shut down, don't comment on it if you are apathetic
    the topic belongs to politics forum.aka A MOVING TRAIN
    .i didt said anything about shut it down..dont distort my post to make a point
  • Options
    -Emma--Emma- Sydney, Australia Posts: 2,864
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db8h0u8w2hY
    (Have a look at the comments so far...)

I don't like guns, but I think the issue with Ed's comment is that it was poorly worded (saying that he almost wished bad things would happen to these people, but that he didn't have to because every week he hears about a 4 year old shooting...). It is just a poorly worded comment that can easily be misunderstood or taken out of context and used against Ed. I think if Ed spoke more about the need for stricter background checks, licensing, mental health and early intervention for the mentally ill and at-risk children and adults, then people wouldn't have batted an eyelid.

With an estimated number of 310 million guns in the US, even with stricter gun laws, you are still going to have so many guns in your country :( .

In Australia after the Port Arthur massacre the government ran a gun buyback scheme, where guns that became prohibited were bought back from gun owners and the illegal weapons were destroyed. "A total of 643,726 prohibited firearms were surrendered at a cost of $320 million, financed by an additional levy on Medicare". I can't imagine that a similar scheme would work in the US, due to your large population and the number of guns.

weapons_2804_narrowweb__300x455,0.jpg

Just because you are a fan of PJ, it doesn't mean that you have to agree with every word that comes out of their mouths and mimic their lifestyle choices. I am very anti-smoking, does that mean I'm going to go to a concert and give Eddie the middle finger when he lights up a cigarette? Obviously cigarettes are a different argument, but like somebody else pointed out, cigarettes actually cause more deaths than guns...
    "Each year about 443,000 people in the United States die from illnesses related to tobacco use. Smoking cigarettes kills more Americans than alcohol, car accidents, suicide, AIDS, homicide, and illegal drugs combined".
    PJ: Sydney, 11th February 2003 ♥ Sydney, 26th January 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 20th March 2011 ♥ EV: Perth, 7th February 2014 ♥ EV: Perth, 8th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 11th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 12th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 13th February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 22nd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 23rd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 25th February 2014 ♥

Eddie Vedder Tribute Videos - Playlist
    The EDvolution of Dance: youtu.be/-HtF3gRYHnE
    eddievedderhallpass.tumblr.com
  • Options
    I apologize if this has already been pointed out, but almost wishing harm is not the same thing as doing so. It clearly has "almost" in the title of the article as well as the quote itself. I completely understand where Ed is coming from. I thought we may finally see some action after sandy hook, but after seeing the effect of the NRA, I only ask those supporters one thing: the next time something like that happens (sadly smaller scale shootings as Ed said happen all the time) don't bother shedding a tear, because you helped it happen. As for the OPs intent for the Philly show I doubt Ed will see you, but if he does, hope you get called out. Perhaps you may want to sell your tickets and go to a Ted Nugent show instead
  • Options
    EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,103
    RC242143 wrote:
    I apologize if this has already been pointed out, but almost wishing harm is not the same thing as doing so. It clearly has "almost" in the title of the article as well as the quote itself. I completely understand where Ed is coming from. I thought we may finally see some action after sandy hook, but after seeing the effect of the NRA, I only ask those supporters one thing: the next time something like that happens (sadly smaller scale shootings as Ed said happen all the time) don't bother shedding a tear, because you helped it happen. As for the OPs intent for the Philly show I doubt Ed will see you, but if he does, hope you get called out. Perhaps you may want to sell your tickets and go to a Ted Nugent show instead

It has been said but it needs repeating apparently.
  • Options
    the topic belongs to politics forum.aka A MOVING TRAIN
    .i didt said anything about shut it down..dont distort my post to make a point

those fighting Irish! :lol:
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Guns ,no guns tonight it's on bitches!!!!!!Im glad no matter which side of the aisle you are on with this issue that we all had a chance to voice an opinion.
    This music,This band obviously is bringing together people with at least one thing in common and that is some passionate like minded taste in all things Pearl Jam.Enjoy the Shows and the new music people.Its all good.

Ps can we lighten the mood next week and talk about abortion rights,religion,Obama care and political affiliations. :D
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    McNairn wrote:
    We have a mere 35 million people up here in Canada. In my 43 years I have never even seen a real handgun, nor known anyone who has been shot even accidentally by a gun.
    We don't have homes broken into by gun robbers, and I literally NEVER even THINK about the possibility of anyone I ever see posessing a gun while I am anywhere in my entire country.
    I am not the least bit threatened in my home or tempted in any way to get a gun to protect myself or my family.
    I have shot a rifle and a pellet gun and have nothing against these or against hunting for meat.
    I am just saying that having no handguns or assault rifles around is a good way to live and doesn't lead to anarchy.
    You guys should seriously consider it.
    Definitely my experience in Canada as well. I did see someone with a handgun once at a camping ground, but everyone was completely horrified. The guy who had it was a complete pariah, and everyone was scared of him because most people here who are safe and sane don't have them (he was also weird).... most people who aren't sane and safe don't have them either! it's just an completely different mindset up here.

I have buddies who hunt. they have rifles. I don't know anyone with a handgun. Nor have I even ever seen one in person. I have no fear of encountering someone with a handgun. Darwin forbid a semi-automatic. It just doesn't happen up here. One friend of mine was stabbed once. But I've never seen a gun.
    There was a shooting death in Vancouver yesterday (gang related I think). It was the 5th murder of the year. Not the 5th gun murder. Just the 5th murder overall. In a city of 700,000 or whatever it is now. Yeah, things are just different up here obviously.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    tbell_1tbell_1 Posts: 21
    Not sure what the issue is with our neighbours to the south, but clearly changes need to be made. I can't say, coming from Canada, that I agree with Eddie hating all gun owners and thinking they should all be banned or whatever (forgive me, I'm yet to read the interview). Automobiles and prescription drugs both cause more deaths and are just as easy (if not easier) to obtain than firearms. I do believe there are responsible gun owners.

Regardless, I don't post often, but I'm pumped for Buffalo tomorrow night. Safe travels everyone! :D
    2003 - Toronto
    2005 - London ON
    2006 - Toronto I & II, Detroit
    2008 - Camden II, EV solo Toronto I
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Cleveland
    2011 - Toronto, EV Solo Detroit
    2013 - Wrigley, Buffalo
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    tbell_1 wrote:
    Not sure what the issue is with our neighbours to the south, but clearly changes need to be made. I can't say, coming from Canada, that I agree with Eddie hating all gun owners and thinking they should all be banned or whatever (forgive me, I'm yet to read the interview). Automobiles and prescription drugs both cause more deaths and are just as easy (if not easier) to obtain than firearms. I do believe there are responsible gun owners.

Regardless, I don't post often, but I'm pumped for Buffalo tomorrow night. Safe travels everyone! :D

For the love of god people....read it before you comment about it.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,103
    Deep down, I believe people own guns because it makes them feel like a 'big guy'; except no one will admit to that so they hide behind the 'protection' line to sound less aggressive.

That's very judgmental. I own guns for hunting. Plain and simple.
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
  • Options
    MG79478MG79478 Posts: 1,628
    It's never good to talk in absolutes, but I can say with confidence that there is no such thing as a responsible liberal.
    Rossum20 wrote:
    Everyone is a responsible gun owner...until they're not.

The facts don't lie: you're far more likely to have someone innocent get hurt as a result of having a gun in the home than not. The irony is that you think you're protecting you kids, when in fact, you're likely doing the opposite. Weapons often escalate situations unnecessarily, and accidents happen all the time. If you don't live in a dangerous neighborhood, odds are you are just paranoid, like most gun owners who use it for the sole purpose of "personal protection".

But I'd agree there are some responsible gun owners, so what? Does that mean we shouldn't have common sense gun laws? Will they completely eradicate gun violence? Of course not, but they'll help a little.

The NRA sure is effective with their brainwashing propaganda though :lol:

The number of gun owners in the US is on the decline, while the number of guns is on the rise. The gun nuts are stockpiling for the zombie apocalypse!

What is the next cause you will stand up for... that having a blender in the house makes you much more likely to have a blender accident? Thanks for the worthless "fact"!
    10ctoronto wrote:
    I agree with CitizenRick. Look at countries that ban guns, like Japan, much safer! I think the poster should be banned from the Pearl Jam show with his opinion of Ed. I do not think Ed cares about your stupid opinion, hillbilly! Poster has fallen victim to fear-mongering or Hollywood glamorization. I think you are more likely to be shot if you have a weapon.

What planet do you live on? Because that is not how it works on planet earth.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    ^^^^ Really? There is no such thing as a responsible Liberal? :roll:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    ^^^^ Really? There is no such thing as a responsible Liberal? :roll:

Usually not with my tax dollars.......Sorry PJ I couldn't resist :)
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    This law abiding, licensed gun owner and supporter will see you in the PIT at both Philly shows. You can expect a middle finger on night one from me for your ignorance.

Things have been very busy so I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier. There's a right way and a wrong way to express one's feelings and this was over the line. There are discussions about gun control and gun safety in A Moving Train. Be polite when you visit there too. This thread is done here on Porch.
    Falling down,...not staying down
This discussion has been closed.