Options

Lost Dogs should be temporarily shut down

Hugh Freaking DillonHugh Freaking Dillon Posts: 14,010
edited July 2013 in Lost Dogs
as people who went to Wrigley knew they could get more than one of something to trade for something they missed. This has become a flipper's community and partly why so many people got shut out of items at the show and the lines were 5 hours long.

I wasn't at the show but this is atrocious.

Shut this place down for a while, or have a "no trading new merch for at least 6 months" policy.
Gimli 1993
Fargo 2003
Winnipeg 2005
Winnipeg 2011
St. Paul 2014
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Jamminonthe1Jamminonthe1 Posts: 1,243
    I was thinking the same thing. This place is ridiculous. Though at the same time I don't blame flippers for flipping.
  • Options
    juddboz80juddboz80 Posts: 2,141
    Screw all the flippers.....I waited in line for over 4 hours and got shut out on the cracker jack and Ames poster.....and to see so many on eBay pissed me off!!!
    Cant buy what i want cause its free....
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,050
    A ot of positive things happen in thiis forum where people do a lot of great things for each other. Focus on the posiitive and enjoy the happiness some bring to others. The lesson to be applied where this band continues to teach us things after 20+ years is that we should focus more on the experience and not stuff. With that said, a lot of harmful feelings could be avoided if a communication went out stating if more would be available on-line and if the merch booths were properly managed where 10c members were given first dibs at items
  • Options
    Jamminonthe1Jamminonthe1 Posts: 1,243
    A ot of positive things happen in thiis forum where people do a lot of great things for each other. Focus on the posiitive and enjoy the happiness some bring to others. The lesson to be applied where this band continues to teach us things after 20+ years is that we should focus more on the experience and not stuff. With that said, a lot of harmful feelings could be avoided if a communication went out stating if more would be available on-line and if the merch booths were properly managed where 10c members were given first dibs at items

I think 10C members should be guaranteed everything they want (ya know, within reason). And the band would make more money. It would be a win-win. I think limited edition items are ridiculous because all it does is up the resale value. Pre-sales are a great way to do this — here is the item, here is the price, you have until X date to order.
  • Options
    crober72crober72 Bartlett, IL Posts: 81

I think 10C members should be guaranteed everything they want (ya know, within reason). And the band would make more money. It would be a win-win. I think limited edition items are ridiculous because all it does is up the resale value. Pre-sales are a great way to do this — here is the item, here is the price, you have until X date to order.

Had this same conversation with my brother in law on Friday as we were realizing the lines were such that we weren't going to get the shirts we wanted. I don't mind people trading as that's the nature of collectables. Ok with selling for basically face value, too. But the eBay auctions are kinda nuts, especially when we talked to people just checking out at the merch stands at 2:00 pm having been in line since 8:30.
  • Options

this is true, but in lieu of shutting it down, make it policy, as I stated at the end of my OP, to have a time frame where you can't sell or trade within a given period of time of purchase with no exceptions.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    I don't understand this. I feel for the people who got munsoned on not getting the merch they wanted, but come on guys. they were selling merch for two whole days before the show including the day of the show. everyone should have known after the first day that they would have to get in line early to get the merch they wanted. it really looks like the flippers were just willing to put in more time in line.
    if you think what I believe is stupid, bizarre, ridiculous or outrageous.....it's ok, I think I had a brain tumor when I wrote that.
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,717
    You'll just drive even more to eBay ... At least here trades are happening and face value hook ups

I do get your point however
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,070
    pdalowsky wrote:
    You'll just drive even more to eBay ... At least here trades are happening and face value hook ups

Agree with this. Understand the sentiment, but at least here there are a bunch of people looking to swap extra stuff for stuff they got shut out on (and within reason). If people are willing to shell out for it, they're gonna find the sellers.
  • Options
    PH20PH20 Posts: 466
    I don't understand this. I feel for the people who got munsoned on not getting the merch they wanted, but come on guys. they were selling merch for two whole days before the show including the day of the show. everyone should have known after the first day that they would have to get in line early to get the merch they wanted. it really looks like the flippers were just willing to put in more time in line.

I got in line at 1:58p on Thursday and got to the merch booth at 7:08p. I'm not making that shit up.

All I wanted was one poster. And they were "sold out" although the guy I was with could see the freaking extra boxes in the back room, but the kid just half cracked a smile and said sorry.

I'm fine with it and just hope that 10c does a sale or I'll pay 3x value like I did at alpine.
    2006 - Marcus Ampitheater, Milwaukee
    2011 - Alpine Valley Ampitheater, East Troy
    2013 - Wrigley Field, Chicago
    2014 - Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul
    2014 - Bradley Center, Milwaukee
    2016 - Wrigley Field, Chicago
    2018 - Wrigley Field, Chicago 
  • Options
    arqarq Posts: 7,936
    Man you scared me I thought you were talking about the band not playing lost dogs anymore!
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Options
    that sucks yo, I hope the boxes in the back were for Friday's sale and not some shady side deal. out of curiosity, what poster were you trying to get?

PH20 wrote:

I got in line at 1:58p on Thursday and got to the merch booth at 7:08p. I'm not making that shit up.

All I wanted was one poster. And they were "sold out" although the guy I was with could see the freaking extra boxes in the back room, but the kid just half cracked a smile and said sorry.

I'm fine with it and just hope that 10c does a sale or I'll pay 3x value like I did at alpine.
    if you think what I believe is stupid, bizarre, ridiculous or outrageous.....it's ok, I think I had a brain tumor when I wrote that.
  • Options
    pdalowsky wrote:

which actually might be a good thing if you think about it. more supply - less demand - lower prices.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options

so the flippers should be rewarded for "putting in the time"? that's ludicrous. standing in line for 5 or 6 or however many hours to get a fucking t shirt or poster is insane. I thought it was bad at the EV show in Minnie. That merch table was outrageous. No line, just a mass of people shaking their money-filled fists in the air. Sounds like Wrigley was 1000 times worse.

Maybe they need to start doing the merch sales after the show, here on the site, and only the people who went to the show get a code or something with their ticket order. One of each item per ticket holder, no exceptions.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    The only way to combat flippers is to not buy the items they're trying to flip. Perhaps if we all just let the ebay auctions go without bids or winners, eventually people will get the point that they're not going to get 10x retail for a poster just because they hogged them all. Wait it out, prices will drop, then buy. I can see spending a little more based on rarity, but the whole "OMGINEEDAWRIGLEYPOSTERRIGHTTHISSECONDANDIDONTCAREWHATITCOSTS" is where we - the buyers - are going wrong.
  • Options
    PH20PH20 Posts: 466
    that sucks yo, I hope the boxes in the back were for Friday's sale and not some shady side deal. out of curiosity, what poster were you trying to get?

Pretty sure they were for Friday.

I would have been happy with any...just one from the show.

However, the EMEK was the one I wanted the most, hence my ISO on Lost Dogs. :D

My last post sounds kind of bitter. Don't get me wrong...I am not bitter. I enjoyed every part of the three day experience (we got there Thursday and left Saturday) I even enjoyed waiting in the various lines (merch, GA, beer, bathroom, GA part deux, taxi, 7-11) and met a bunch of cool people (and a few d-bags, but that at least made it interesting)

I was by far the best concert experience of my life.
    2006 - Marcus Ampitheater, Milwaukee
    2011 - Alpine Valley Ampitheater, East Troy
    2013 - Wrigley Field, Chicago
    2014 - Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul
    2014 - Bradley Center, Milwaukee
    2016 - Wrigley Field, Chicago
    2018 - Wrigley Field, Chicago 
  • Options
    well here's some crossed fingers for ya hoping they sell them here in the shop. and for what it's worth, i'd be fuckin pissed to wait in line for 5 hours and not get what I was after, so no harm in being a little bitter.

PH20 wrote:

Pretty sure they were for Friday.

I would have been happy with any...just one from the show.

However, the EMEK was the one I wanted the most, hence my ISO on Lost Dogs. :D

My last post sounds kind of bitter. Don't get me wrong...I am not bitter. I enjoyed every part of the three day experience (we got there Thursday and left Saturday) I even enjoyed waiting in the various lines (merch, GA, beer, bathroom, GA part deux, taxi, 7-11) and met a bunch of cool people (and a few d-bags, but that at least made it interesting)

I was by far the best concert experience of my life.
  • Options
    PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,293
    Bringing back the poster pre-sale would solve a lot of the merch issues - no more long lines, no more having to protect your poster during the show, no need to travel with a poster.

Please sign the petition to try and help bring it back:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=202481
  • Options
    shawnb199shawnb199 Posts: 133

We flew to Chicago on Thursday night for the show. I showed up before the stands opened on Friday morning, and had to bail after about an hour and a half before getting through the line. I had my four month old daughter with me, because I didn't want to impose on the friends who were gracious enough to watch her during the show for us. After temperatures hit about 90 degrees, I couldn't keep her out there any longer and we had to leave. Sounds like I made the right choice, as it seems like others who arrived around the same time also were shut out of the Shuss and Munk One posters I was looking for.

With the relatively limited touring schedule these days, people already make huge sacrifices to get to the shows. It shouldn't be that hard to get your hands on merch if you are actually attending. Pre-orders for 10C members who win the lottery for a given show would be a good start.
  • Options
    jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    The only way to combat flippers is to not buy the items they're trying to flip. Perhaps if we all just let the ebay auctions go without bids or winners, eventually people will get the point that they're not going to get 10x retail for a poster just because they hogged them all. Wait it out, prices will drop, then buy. I can see spending a little more based on rarity, but the whole "OMGINEEDAWRIGLEYPOSTERRIGHTTHISSECONDANDIDONTCAREWHATITCOSTS" is where we - the buyers - are going wrong.
    Exactly. It's the buyers who set the market not the sellers.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    Evel KEvel K Posts: 520
    as people who went to Wrigley knew they could get more than one of something to trade for something they missed. This has become a flipper's community and partly why so many people got shut out of items at the show and the lines were 5 hours long.

I wasn't at the show but this is atrocious.

Shut this place down for a while, or have a "no trading new merch for at least 6 months" policy.
    I waited in line for 5 hours on Friday only to find one style of large t-shirts available. I bought it thinking I could trade it for the one I really wanted. I have since decided this shirt works fine for me. In fact I have it on right now. I just wanted a show specific shirt. It's the black baseball one and I initially wanted the dark blue shirt with the guitar. People buying two of every poster style to help finance their travels is a whole different story.
    Things were different then
  • Options
    Evel K wrote:
    I waited in line for 5 hours on Friday only to find one style of large t-shirts available. I bought it thinking I could trade it for the one I really wanted. I have since decided this shirt works fine for me. In fact I have it on right now. I just wanted a show specific shirt. It's the black baseball one and I initially wanted the dark blue shirt with the guitar. People buying two of every poster style to help finance their travels is a whole different story.

your situation is not exactly the type I'm talking about, but it's a slippery slope. by buying the shirt you didn't want so you could hopefully trade for the one you wanted, you may have inadvertently robbed someone else down the line who WANTED the shirt you bought.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014