**Star Trek Fan Thread**

Comments

• eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    intodeep wrote:
    I saw Capt Kirk speak last labor day at a convention and Capt Picard is lined up for this labor day :geek:

Shatner is very funny and charasmatic at conventions. I saw him and Spock at Nassau Coliseum nearly 20 years ago.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    eddiec wrote:

As cool and funny as that scene is, it comes from the worst Star Trek movie ever made- the 5th.
    Agreed...it was bad...True story, I read the novel adaptation the night before going to see the 5th movie....it was fantastic....I was geeked for the movie....really geeked.....then I endured the torture of watching that POS....watched it again years later....still awful
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    eddiec wrote:

As cool and funny as that scene is, it comes from the worst Star Trek movie ever made- the 5th.
    I probably should have been obvious with my sarcasm. I see that scene as epitomizing the crappiness of Star Trek V: The Final Frontier. Sorry for the confusion; I usually pretend like that movie never happened...I mean Spock's egotistical half brother? Come on!
  • Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    I was in my early teens when TOS aired. It was always cool to go to school the next day and everybody would be talking about the previous night's episode. Fave episodes include City on the Edge of Forever (of course), The Devil in the Dark (great suspense) and Mirror, Mirror (introduced the alternative universe scheme that the later series made good use of).

I was sure that TNG would be a flop but it turned out great. Retained all the elements that made TOS popular. Big fan and couldn't understand why they took it off the air when it was still so popular. Probably my favorite episode is Darmok (with the aliens that spoke in metaphor) and The Inner Light (Picard is transported to a dying planet and lives another man's life).

It took me a while to warm up to DS9 but eventually I liked it the best. Never really got into Voyager and I only watched a little of Enterprise.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Funny, I was just wishing for a Star Trek thread so I could post this picture:

star-trek-light-e1332030686285.jpg

It recently sold on etsy.
    that is so cool I want one too! :D
  • kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909
    internet-memes-he-was-the-first.jpg
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5gdbUC9mWU

This looks great! Can't wait.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    I like that. Old Spock is looking exactly that. Wow.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Mainly all I've seen is the stuff with the original crew. The original series and the 6 movies. Besides that, the only thing I've seen is the Next Generation movie where they go back in time to stop the Borg. That was really good. And I saw the new Star Trek, which was OK, but seemed like mainly they were setting up the characters and relationships for future movies, which is why I have higher hopes for this new one. They took care of all the introductions and showing how they got to be where they are, now they can focus on storytelling. I wouldn't think I'd like anybody but Shatner and Nemoy, but those younger guys did a really good job.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • nickburrows14nickburrows14 Posts: 858
    The new movie in 3D is mind blowing
    Happy up here in my tree
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,164
    I have to say, I'm not always for rebooting but Into Darkness is pretty darn awesome and I think better than the one before this. Zachary Quinto as Spock is perfect. And Benedict Cumberbatch too, I don't know how Benicio Del Toro could have done that role any justice.
    I guess I'm in the minority, but I felt that Star Trek: Into Darkness was the worst of all Star Trek Films. I've watched them all many times (even The Final Frontier and The Search for Spock), and found this one to make the least amount of sense. I even gave it a 1/10 on IMDB. I really wanted to enjoy it and I hoped that it would improve upon the last one, which I felt wasn't terrible, but by no means a good Star Trek movie.

My favourites (in order):
    1. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
    2. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
    3. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
    4. Star Trek: First Contact
    5. Star Trek: The Motion Picture
    6. Star Trek: Generations
    7. Star Trek: Insurrection
    8. Star Trek (2009)
    9. Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
    10. Star Trek: Nemesis
    11. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
    12. Star Trek: Into Darkness
    I'm undecided where the latest movie ranks amongst the 12, but I know it can't hold a candle to the Wrath of Khan. It's all dash and flash, aping on the original with Easter Eggs but lacking the heart and soul of WOK had in spades.
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
    kw18 wrote:
    I'm undecided where the latest movie ranks amongst the 12, but I know it can't hold a candle to the Wrath of Khan. It's all dash and flash, aping on the original with Easter Eggs but lacking the heart and soul of WOK had in spades.
    It tried so hard to be the Wrath of Khan, but fell flat for me. They could have taken it any direction they wanted, but instead it came off as a knockoff.
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    kw18 wrote:
    It tried so hard to be the Wrath of Khan, but fell flat for me. They could have taken it any direction they wanted, but instead it came off as a knockoff.

I didn't like it that much either. I liked parts of it...I liked the character interactions..there were several moments where I thought the characters were right on. Unfortunately, it just tried to be nonstop action and a lot of it just didn't make sense. I would have liked a Star Trek movie where the characters aren't just running around all the time. Also, with all the call-backs to Wrath of Khan, even with some characters saying the same things, at what point does it stop being a homage and become a rip off or parody?
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
    Better Dan wrote:
    I didn't like it that much either. I liked parts of it...I liked the character interactions..there were several moments where I thought the characters were right on. Unfortunately, it just tried to be nonstop action and a lot of it just didn't make sense. I would have liked a Star Trek movie where the characters aren't just running around all the time. Also, with all the call-backs to Wrath of Khan, even with some characters saying the same things, at what point does it stop being a homage and become a rip off or parody?
    In my mind it became a parody right at the beginning with Spock in the volcano saying, "The good of the many outweigh the needs of the few". It set the tone for the entire film for me, a callback to ST II and the quote was incomplete; the line worked so well in the original because Spock said, "...the few or the one", and everyone had a good cry. This Spock hasn't really been developed very much and his impending doom had no emotion behind it.
    Better Dan wrote:
    In my mind it became a parody right at the beginning with Spock in the volcano saying, "The good of the many outweigh the needs of the few". It set the tone for the entire film for me, a callback to ST II and the quote was incomplete; the line worked so well in the original because Spock said, "...the few or the one", and everyone had a good cry. This Spock hasn't really been developed very much and his impending doom had no emotion behind it.

Same with the Kirk scene at the end. It had no weight because we knew he wasn't going to stay dead. We also barely know this Kirk.I also don't buy the whole transwarp transporter thing. I know that was used in the first movie, but it felt worse here..Earth to Quo'nos? I didn't buy it nor did I buy the Enterprise traveling from there back to Earth in minutes. I just wish they would have written something more original. Not everything has to be a callback to Khan. Why not introduce us to new villains, races, adventures?
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
    Better Dan wrote:
    Same with the Kirk scene at the end. It had no weight because we knew he wasn't going to stay dead. We also barely know this Kirk.I also don't buy the whole transwarp transporter thing. I know that was used in the first movie, but it felt worse here..Earth to Quo'nos? I didn't buy it nor did I buy the Enterprise traveling from there back to Earth in minutes. I just wish they would have written something more original. Not everything has to be a callback to Khan. Why not introduce us to new villains, races, adventures?

My biggest beef was that after the planet Vulcan was destroyed, neither Quo'nos nor Earth had any sort of defenses in their own systems. One would think a starship would be spotted entering Klingon space, either by satellite, telescope or defensive ships. Or the people on Earth would know that there's a battle in orbit and evacuate the area of the impending crash, but they just went about their business all happy and blissfully unaware that they could die very soon.
    I guess I'm in the minority, but I felt that Star Trek: Into Darkness was the worst of all Star Trek Films. I've watched them all many times (even The Final Frontier and The Search for Spock), and found this one to make the least amount of sense. I even gave it a 1/10 on IMDB. I really wanted to enjoy it and I hoped that it would improve upon the last one, which I felt wasn't terrible, but by no means a good Star Trek movie.

8. Star Trek (2009)

I haven't seen many in a while, and this will probably change, but at the moment I'd probably go with:

Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan
    Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
    Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
    Star Trek: First Contact
    Star Trek: Generations
    Star Trek: Insurrection
    Star Trek (2009)
    Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
    Star Trek: Nemesis
    Star Trek: Into Darkness
    Star Trek: The Motion Picture
    Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

8. Star Trek (2009)

It clearly wasn't the best Star Trek film but if I had a choice to rewatch any of the films I would put it before The Motion Picture, The Final Frontier (worst one IMO by far), and The Search for Spock. In fact, I don' think I will ever watch The Final Frontier again.
    Excuse me....What does God need with a starship? :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3u4j0hVy8c
  • Can't believe some of you guys don't rate Into Darkness. Saw it in 3D at the cinema and was blown away. Best film I've seen of that genre for years
    Happy up here in my tree
    Can't believe some of you guys don't rate Into Darkness. Saw it in 3D at the cinema and was blown away. Best film I've seen of that genre for years

I completely enjoyed it. Just a little too much on rehashing the 'Wrath of Khan' thing though. Overall it was a great movie IMO.
    Best. Episode. Ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M6yoeOglNw

Except, of course, TOS didn't have replicators ... :ugeek:
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
    kw18 wrote:
    Best. Episode. Ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M6yoeOglNw

Except, of course, TOS didn't have replicators ... :ugeek:

:lol:
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    eddiec wrote:
    Can't believe some of you guys don't rate Into Darkness. Saw it in 3D at the cinema and was blown away. Best film I've seen of that genre for years

I completely enjoyed it. Just a little too much on rehashing the 'Wrath of Khan' thing though. Overall it was a great movie IMO.

I agree with both these feelings - it was enjoyable, but why not something NEW? Khan has been done to death, though I did like Cumberbatch in the role. I'm honestly kind of glad that JJ Abrams is not on the next movie.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x11dpq ... ?start=230

There are some good moves there ... :lol:
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."