How Would You personally Rank the Studio Albums? Updated

Comments

• Oceans 98Oceans 98 Posts: 232
    Vitalogy- Amazing from top to bottom. The weirdness sets it apart in my opinion. Probably the pentacle of introspective lyrics from Eddie.
    Ten- What can you say? It's a classic. Pearl Jam's most complete work in my opinion. Every song is classic.
    Vs- Another very complete album, great songs from start to finish. Best closer ever with indifference. Guitar work is amazing.
    No Code- PJ off the grid. Amazing songs from start to finish. Songs like Present Tense and In My Tree set this album apart. One of Eddies best lyrical achievements.
    Yield- Another classic. Has some of that weirdness that was apparent in Vitalogy but songs like Red Dot and the hidden track Hummas didn't resignate as well as bugs, foxy..., pry to, and seemed a bit out of place to me. Still contains many classics and fan faves.
    Pearl Jam- Other than VS this is their best guitar album. Great songs from start to finish. Inside Job is the best closer since Indifference and the first five songs were back to basics Pearl Jam that many fans were yearning for since yield.
    Binaural- Experimental but great. Some of my favorite notables are Nothing as it Seems and Grievance. This album didn't resignate with fans as well as previous albums, but it grows on you. Now it's a fan favorite.
    Riot Act- It has some great tunes like Save You, I Am Mine, Green Disease, and Half Full. Unlike the other albums, it seems Riot Act was made to be played live. Though this was one of PJs weaker albums the songs are some of PJs best live staples. Get Right, Half Full, Help Help are great examples of this.
    Backspacer- PJs weakest album but still really good. I am a little critical of this album because I am not into pop music and this album goes in that direction more than the others. Some great tracks on here however, such as Got Some, Unthought Known, and Just Breathe.
    St. Louis 07/02/98, St. Louis 10/11/00, New York 07/08/03, New York 07/09/03, Chicago 05/16/06, Chicago 05/17/06, Bridge School 10/21/06, Bridge School 10/22/06, Chicago 07/05/07, Chicago 07/24/09, Kansas City 05/03/10, St Louis 05/04/10, PJ20 09/03/11, PJ20 09/04/11, Chicago 07/19/13, St. Louis 10/03/14, Ohana 09/24/21 (EV/Earthings), Ohana 09/25/21 (EV/Earthlings), Ohana 09/26/21, Nashville 09/16/22, Louisville 09/17/22, St. Louis 09/18/22, Oklahoma City 09/20/22

• callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Oceans and Zje:

Great review and insights on your rankings

ST does have some incredible guitar work.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • PJSEMPREPJSEMPRE Posts: 687
    Vitalogy
    No Code
    Ten
    Yield
    Binaural
    Vs
    Riot Act
    Backspacer
    Pearl Jam
    Let's say knowledge is a tree, yeah.
    It's growing up just like me.
  • PolicemanPoliceman Posts: 61
    Ten
    Yield
    Vs
    Vitalogy
    No Code
    Backspacer
    S/T
    Riot Act
    Binaural
    Don't it make you smile?
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    1 - Ten
    2 - Vs.
    3 - Yield
    4 - No Code
    5 - Vitology
    6 - Pearl Jam
    7 - Riot Act
    8 - Backspacer
    9 - Binaural

I know it's not cool to have Ten and Vs. at the top but those 2 are absolute fucking classics. I had a hard time picking between the two for #1. I went with Ten mostly because I still think Alive is such a badass song. Still get chills everytime I hear the beginning of that song.
  • zje1979zje1979 Posts: 25
    zje1979 wrote:
    I don't really like Yield or Binaural outside of a few songs and LOVE Backspacer and Avocado... I kind of classify Pearl Jam as 3 different eras: Ten/Vs/Vitalogy is classic PJ; No Code/Yield/Binaural is Experimental PJ; Riot Act/Avocado/Backspacer is Mature PJ.

Athough this list can change daily, right now my top 9 are as follows:

1. Ten -- my all time favorite album by anyone
    2. Backspacer -- most underrated album, every song is enjoyable, no filler or weird shit just to be different
    3. Avocado -- other than Wasted Reprise filler, every song is enjoyable... similar to Backspacer
    4. No Code -- This fluctuates the most, but right now I'm loving it
    5. Riot Act -- Used to love this more, still a great album
    6. Vitalogy -- half of it would put it at #2, the other half would put it at #9. Come on, Bugs? fucking shit
    7. Vs -- The most overrated album (still pretty good however)
    8. Yield -- weak album, like a handful of songs
    9. Binaural -- Yield/Binaural could have been released as a single album if they scrapped a bunch of the weaker songs (majority of this album)

I think the reason I put the order I did was mainly because in my top 4 (ten,backspacer,avocado, no code), I can listen to the entire album without ever skipping a track. While Vitalogy, Yield, and Binaural have some of my favorite songs, there's too many songs I skip through to get to them.
  • Oceans 98Oceans 98 Posts: 232
    First time I've ever seen Riot Act at the top of these lists, and there have been many over the past. I feel Riot Act doesn't get as much love as it should as well. The songs are incredible live.
    Using the criteria of how much I listen to them...

Riot Act
    Binaural
    Yield
    Ten
    Vitalogy
    VS
    No Code
    S/T
    Backspacer
    St. Louis 07/02/98, St. Louis 10/11/00, New York 07/08/03, New York 07/09/03, Chicago 05/16/06, Chicago 05/17/06, Bridge School 10/21/06, Bridge School 10/22/06, Chicago 07/05/07, Chicago 07/24/09, Kansas City 05/03/10, St Louis 05/04/10, PJ20 09/03/11, PJ20 09/04/11, Chicago 07/19/13, St. Louis 10/03/14, Ohana 09/24/21 (EV/Earthings), Ohana 09/25/21 (EV/Earthlings), Ohana 09/26/21, Nashville 09/16/22, Louisville 09/17/22, St. Louis 09/18/22, Oklahoma City 09/20/22

• october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    This is my personal list (which sometimes fluctuates) and is different from a technical list in which by default Ten and Vs would have to be on top. My ranking weighs heavily on overall artistic achievement and from what I've drawn the most inspiration from over the years.

Vitalogy
    No Code
    Yield
    Binaural
    Vs
    Ten
    Riot Act
    Pearl Jam

Backspacer
  • Ten
    Yield
    No Code
    Vs.
    Vitalogy
    Binaural
    Pearl Jam
    Riot Act
    Backspacer

Ask me later and this could be completely different. I don't hate any of these albums.
  • STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    october22 wrote:
    This is my personal list (which sometimes fluctuates) and is different from a technical list in which by default Ten and Vs would have to be on top. My ranking weighs heavily on overall artistic achievement and from what I've drawn the most inspiration from over the years.

Vitalogy
    No Code
    Yield
    Binaural
    Vs
    Ten
    Riot Act
    Pearl Jam
    Backspacer

nice line up. I need to update my tally's. :thumbup:

If any poster decides to change their line up. (I've done it too. :? ) It will make us crazier. I'm not completely certain how the others are keeping the votes. But I'm going to use your changed line up as a separate vote. And the halves as the same.
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,012
    Vs
    Yield
    Vitalogy
    Ten
    No Code
    Riot Act
    Avocado
    Binaural
    Backspacer
  • iiseeiisee Charlotte, NC Posts: 485
    Ten
    Vs
    Binaural
    Yield
    Riot Act
    No Code
    Vitalogy
    S/T
    Backspacer

Plus a shout out for Lost Dogs (which is a studio album). If I was ranking it on the list I would have it between "No Code" and "Vitalogy". Very hard to rank the first 7 for me...but extremely easy to pick the last 2.... 8-)
    8/25/92 – Charlotte, NC
    10/4/96 – Charlotte, NC
    8/4/00 – Charlotte, NC
    4/16/03 – Charlotte, NC
    9/5/05 – Edmonton, Canada
    6/16/08 - Columbia, SC
    6/17/08 - VA Beach, VA
    6/26-27/12 - Amsterdam, NL (I and II)
    7/19/13 - Wrigley Feild, Chicago, IL
    10/30/13 - Charlotte, NC
    11/22/15 - Rio De Janeiro, Brazil
    ranked the songs on Vitalogy 1-10 just finished listening

Last Exit 8
    Spin The Black Circle 8
    Not For You 9.5
    Tremor Christ 8
    Nothingman 9
    Whipping 7
    Pry, To 2
    Corduroy 10
    Bugs 6
    Satan's Bed 8
    Betterman 5
    Aye Davanita 2
    Immortality 10
    Hey, Foxymophandlemama, That's Me 3

are you trying to mess up my counting. That is a little monkey wrench. ;) I almost counted and I stopped.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    1) Lost Dogs
    2) No Code, Vitalogy, Binaural, Yield, Riot Act, Ten, Vs, Rearviewmirror, and Avocado
    3) Backspacer
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    1) Lost Dogs
    2) No Code, Vitalogy, Binaural, Yield, Riot Act, Ten, Vs, Rearviewmirror, and Avocado
    3) Backspacer
    brianlux wrote:

No ties! Shit or get off the pot.

:lol: :thumbup:
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    1) Lost Dogs
    3) Backspacer
    brianlux wrote:

No ties! Shit or get off the pot.

:lol: :thumbup:
    I just CAN'T! I tried. Couldn't do it. :oops:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    1) Lost Dogs
    3) Backspacer

Lol, I know it is hard. I second guess my list every day but with the support of the forum, I get through it and so can you. NOW CHOOSE!
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
  • JB128716JB128716 Posts: 2,064
    1. Ten
    2. VS
    3. Yield
    4. Backspacer (what what)
    5. Vitalogy
    6. Riot Act
    7. No Code
    8. Binaural
    9. S/T

Now for a real challenge, rate the bootleg CD's.
    92 - Orlando
    03 - Tampa
    08 - Tampa
    12 - DeLuna Fest, EV Orlando 1 & 2, EV Ft Lauderdale 1 & 2
    13 - Wrigley!!! ,Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford, OKC, Seattle
    14 - Leeds, Milton Keynes, St Louis
    16 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 & 2
  • your move nowyour move now Posts: 1,165
    JB128716 wrote:
    1. Ten
    2. VS
    3. Yield
    5. Vitalogy
    6. Riot Act
    7. No Code
    8. Binaural
    9. S/T

Now for a real challenge, rate the bootleg CD's.

Yeah... when I have a spare 12 months it will be on the top of my to do list
    I don't mean to offend anyone, a lot of what I say should be taken with a grain of salt... that said for most of you I'm a stranger on a computer on the other side of the world, don't give me that sort of power!
  • october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    JB128716 wrote:
    1. Ten
    2. VS
    3. Yield
    5. Vitalogy
    6. Riot Act
    7. No Code
    8. Binaural
    9. S/T

Backspacer above Vitalogy, No Code and Binaural?? Wow. The diversity on this thread is amazing. I didn't even want to include Backspacer on my list because I find it unlistenable but I'm sure some rank it first. I think an interesting bit of data would have been to include when we started listening. I wonder if we would see some similarity in the year you discovered the band and how you rank the albums.
  • JB128716JB128716 Posts: 2,064
    I was there from Ten. I must admit, I drifted away in the middle. I have no idea why, but I did.

I got back with Riot Act and haven't looked back.

Unthought Known and Amongst the Waves are some of my favorite songs in the entire catalog.

But that's what makes this band great. Meet 10 different PJ fans and you'll get 10 different lists.
    92 - Orlando
    03 - Tampa
    08 - Tampa
    12 - DeLuna Fest, EV Orlando 1 & 2, EV Ft Lauderdale 1 & 2
    13 - Wrigley!!! ,Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford, OKC, Seattle
    14 - Leeds, Milton Keynes, St Louis
    16 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 & 2
    zje1979 wrote:
    I don't really like Yield or Binaural outside of a few songs and LOVE Backspacer and Avocado... I kind of classify Pearl Jam as 3 different eras: Ten/Vs/Vitalogy is classic PJ; No Code/Yield/Binaural is Experimental PJ; Riot Act/Avocado/Backspacer is Mature PJ.

Athough this list can change daily, right now my top 9 are as follows:

1. Ten -- my all time favorite album by anyone
    2. Backspacer -- most underrated album, every song is enjoyable, no filler or weird shit just to be different
    3. Avocado -- other than Wasted Reprise filler, every song is enjoyable... similar to Backspacer
    4. No Code -- This fluctuates the most, but right now I'm loving it
    5. Riot Act -- Used to love this more, still a great album
    6. Vitalogy -- half of it would put it at #2, the other half would put it at #9. Come on, Bugs? fucking shit
    7. Vs -- The most overrated album (still pretty good however)
    8. Yield -- weak album, like a handful of songs
    9. Binaural -- Yield/Binaural could have been released as a single album if they scrapped a bunch of the weaker songs (majority of this album)

Yes... score for back spacer first post for the top 3 :D
    I have my tally.

I'm going to post it in a few hours along with my notes.

The answers are suprising.

THANK YOU to all that voted. New voters are always welcome.

I hope BrianLux and Dimitri can post their results later tonight with mine. It should be interesting. ?
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    No Code
    Ten
    Vs.
    Backspacer
    Binaural
    Vitalogy
    Yield
    Avocado
    Riot Act

lost dogs I did not factor as it is a compilation
    Merkin Ball Either
    hrd2imgn wrote:
    No Code
    Ten
    Vs.
    Backspacer
    Binaural
    Vitalogy
    Yield
    Avocado
    Riot Act

lost dogs I did not factor as it is a compilation
    Merkin Ball Either

It's fine I left those out anyway.
    I counted the order of the albums that people posted even if they only choose 6.
  • jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,815
    1. No Code
    2. Vitalogy*
    3. Yield*
    4. Vs*
    5. Ten*
    6. Binaural*
    7. S/T*
    8. Riot Act*
    9. Backspacer

* subject to change ;)
    The results are surprising. If you want to continue to vote I will count yours and post tomorrow. With my team mates? :lol: They are occupied at the moment. (aka out of order)

BUMP

:clap: :thumbup: :wave:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    1) Lost Dogs
    3) Backspacer

Lol, I know it is hard. I second guess my list every day but with the support of the forum, I get through it and so can you. NOW CHOOSE!
    Fuck, FINE. Just note that this subject to change every 5 minutes. And i do consider Rearviewmirror and Lost Dogs studio albums (Lost Dogs isn't a compilation IMO. Just an album they were saving up for).
    G
    1. Lost Dogs
    2. No Code
    3. Vitalogy
    4. Yield
    5. Riot Act
    6. Ten
    7. Binaural
    8. Avocado
    9. Vs.
    10. Rearviewmirror
    11. Backspacer

:fp: That just feels really wrong.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    out of order team mate brianlux, here. You're good to go, OP/STAYSEA POLL-TAKER. :D

And the final tally is......... (drumroll)...........
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux wrote:
    out of order team mate brianlux, here. You're good to go, OP/STAYSEA POLL-TAKER. :D

And the final tally is......... (drumroll)...........

Waiting for the other team member Captain. It's not logical to proceed.

Tomorrow will come and I have a few more votes.