Options

"This year, for sure."- McCready

Comments

• Options
    saying it's a logical extension of Backspacer doesn't at ALL mean it's going to sound like it, although I don't mind if it does. All he means is that it's not like they are going out on a freaky limb with any drastic style changes in the band's sound.

don't read much into it.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    CTD10CTD10 Posts: 351
    Being my favorite member of the band, I always trust Mike.
    ctd
  • Options
    primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,339
    Why do I get the feeling that if you asked all 5 band members when the new album will come out, we would get 5 different answers? :fp:
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    CTD10 wrote:
    Being my favorite member of the band, I always trust Mike.
    i like you :P
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    This is great news! I'm inclined to believe Mr McCready
    i like you too :P
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    wpg pearlwpg pearl Posts: 1,258
    best news i got all week :mrgreen:
    Happy Friday
    ajb
  • Options
    TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120
    as happy as I am that they are putting out a new album I really hope it sounds nothing like backspacer
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
  • Options
    YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    Awesome news, but man, don't like the sound of it being an extension of Backspacer.

Great news nonetheless on a Friday!
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options
    primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,339
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • Options
    So 22 songs/demos that will probably be whittled down to 7, primarily "punk rock" like songs a la Supersonic/Ole/Comatose, then Ed will bring in 3 folksy one's from previous Into the Wild stuff, one of which the band will get a hold of and build it into a Gone/Unthought Known thingy......sounds like a logical extension of Backspacer.....
    -PUSH ME AND I WILL RESIST!
  • Options
    jonsey30jonsey30 Rochester Hills, MI Posts: 998
    More experimental, Pink Floyd sounding stuff sounds deliscious to me. More echoey, atmospheric sounds, drum and bass, guitar solos please.
    7/19/13 - Wrigley Field, Chicago, IL
    10/11/13 - Pittsburgh, PA
    10/12/13 - Buffalo, NY
    10/16/2014 - Detroit, MI
    5/10/2016 - Toronto, ON
    3/24/2020 - Hamilton, ON
    9/7/2023 - Chicago, IL

• Options
    I've never been a big fan of their "punk rock" songs. They all sound the same and lately have been pop punk like "supersonic" and "Ole'". Both of which I don't think are terrible but more B side quality. Now, a song like "All Night" and "Whipping" are punkish but hard charging. Don't have that upbeat sound or poppy sound. We'll see what happens.

Pink Floyd stuff is interesting. I like "Backspacer" but it's average. Nothing special about it. But to be honest I don't have high expectations anymore, I don't think they can make that "special" album anymore. I'm all good with that. They'll be 4-5 good songs that I"ll love and a few interesting ones. I'm glad they still want to make music together which brings in tour possibilities and at this point they are a total live band. I also feel they are in a good place, almost semi-retired. They can do small tours and play festivals, maybe 10-20 shows a year. It allows them to have lives, to be free. They seem more inspired with that freedom and more inspired doing other music outside of Pearl Jam. They know PJ is home however. I'm good with that also. I to will get excited when we get definate answers. I like getting the tracklist and betting myself which songs I will gravitate to based on their titles. I'm right 90% of the time. That's my 2 cents.
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    so ready for a new PJ album! :mrgreen:
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    GOD................................

PLEASE...

DO YOUR MIRACLES...

AND GIVE US SOMETHING UNIQUE AND AWESOME LIKE THIS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUij90kZRUA

THANK YOU..
  • Options
    ChrisileinChrisilein Vienna/Austria Posts: 3,878
    Next year, this year, in May, in summer, fall or winter :crazy:
    up here in my tree in Vienna
    2006: Vienna 2009: Berlin 2010: London ~ Berlin 2012: Amsterdam 1+2 ~ Werchter ~ Arras ~ Berlin 1+2
    2014: Milano ~ Trieste ~ Vienna ~ Berlin 2018: Padova ~ Rome 2022: Budapest ~ Vienna
    EV London/Hammersmith 2012
    EV Berlin/Zitadelle 2017
  • Options
    This will be the first album PJ release since I "discovered" them at Bridge in 2010!! :D I am very very excited about it!! :D:D
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    Chrisilein wrote:
    :lol:
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,841
    Chrisilein wrote:

Funny....and true :lol: :corn:
  • Options
    HailRoad24 wrote:
    So 22 songs/demos that will probably be whittled down to 7, primarily "punk rock" like songs a la Supersonic/Ole/Comatose, then Ed will bring in 3 folksy one's from previous Into the Wild stuff, one of which the band will get a hold of and build it into a Gone/Unthought Known thingy......sounds like a logical extension of Backspacer.....
    I got scared by reading this, because it sounds so ...logical, like it is already...happening.
    If they don't have the anger stimulation anymore, why wouldn't they follow the up-lift mood songs of Yield rather than that of the punk-alike Avocado/Backspacer tunes?
    Also, why wouldn't they follow the down mood songs of Binaural rather than Eddie's solo albums? Or the airy Nocode in full?
    I don't know...but punk again? sometime last year Mike said that it was going to sound a bit like motorhead. Now that was promising... :)
    whatever, I'm ok with everything, as long as they like it.
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,000
    I love Mike too but his predictions of the "sound" from avocado on where often wildly inaccurate..
    The reason being that Stone is infamous for "messing" with every aspect of a song , until he is satisfied (he re-formatted "puzzles and games" into "light years" on binaural "..
    So what Mike "hears" early on might not be what ends up as the finished product..
    Great or mediocre..
    IT'S STONE FAULT!
    :)
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    Why do people hate Backspacer so much? It's the punchiest and tightest the band has sounded since Yield. It also brought Brendan O'Brien back into the fold which only bodes well for the future.

I learned a long time ago to just let the band put out there what they put out there. Every album is unique and even if you don't like in on first listen (or 2nd or 3rd or 4th...) give it a few years and you'll appreciate how it fits into the whole catalogue.

Making comparisons to past albums has never worked with this band. Can you name any two PJ albums that sound exactly alike? I sure can't. I would expect album No.10 to follow this pattern.
    So this life is sacrifice...
    6/30/98 Minneapolis, 10/8/00 East Troy (Brrrr!), 6/16/03 St. Paul, 6/27/06 St. Paul
  • Options
    Why do people hate Backspacer so much? It's the punchiest and tightest the band has sounded since Yield. It also brought Brendan O'Brien back into the fold which only bodes well for the future.

I learned a long time ago to just let the band put out there what they put out there. Every album is unique and even if you don't like in on first listen (or 2nd or 3rd or 4th...) give it a few years and you'll appreciate how it fits into the whole catalogue.

Making comparisons to past albums has never worked with this band. Can you name any two PJ albums that sound exactly alike? I sure can't. I would expect album No.10 to follow this pattern.
    no hate,its good album,but the rest are better
    and this
    It's the punchiest and tightest the band has sounded since Yield

is really something i disagree 1000000%
  • Options

I love Backspacer, it' s just that there is this very thread and we feel like we can have our saying on what the rumours might bring. Backspacer brought me back to being a PJ lunatic again, so apart from loving it I also feel obliged to it, but I'd rather prefer Eddie's voice in a kind of a dark Binaural situation. (But that must be another thread!)
    Every album is a different album for sure, but it's the first time I have this enormous anticipation of what it is going to sound like.
    And I'm ending with a Wish: Blame it on Stone!!!!!!
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    good news! :D
  • Options
    smanchac1smanchac1 Posts: 2,256
    I would like to point this out.

In an interview with Matt in 2010, in the deep magazine, he says

"We have about 6-7 ideas recorded" were in the studio now working on new material.

The interview was taken after the euro tour 2010

Mike gave an interview months before Missoula in 2011 saying we have around 7 ideas recorded.

I'm not saying when, I have no idea. I'm just saying we've been told the same thing before. Whoever is good at digging up old articles should post these links.

Anyone else remember Eddie talking about how he used to over analyze each lyric trying to give multiple meanings for lines so they could be interpreted differently, and then said with backspacer how he realized that wasn't necessary? I think the line was, we could just wing it. He then proceeded to talk about writing Johnny guitar on the toilet stall in the studio and that all the words were inspired by the pictures on the back of the bathroom door.

I only bring these points up to show that with all the side projects going on that its likely they do have a few demos, but not a lot of work has probably been done. We all know they aren't in the studio for months and months like before due to the side projects, and realistically they more than likely have 2-4 weeks booked sometime this year to record.

How long did backspacer take to record? Just a few weeks?

Again it's not that I'm saying your thoughts are wrong, just don't want anyone to get too excited until we have something more concrete. To expect an album anytime before fall will let you down.

Backspacer was released 9-20-2009 (technically 9-19 but worldwide 9-20) followed by a three week, 15 date us tour. Followed up by another three week, 15 date tour in May 2010. 30 shows, split up over two legs (talking US Shows only) and to expect a similar pattern this time around isn't something outlandish.

Keep the faith, it will be soon enough! Wrigley can't come soon enough. And if you can't make wrigley, I understand! It sucks. But just save that money for the fall. If you don't already have your wrigley tickets, hotel room and flight booked, then you will be better off planning 2-3 shows this fall. Get more bang for your buck! And maybe, just maybe, some new songs for your fall shows.

To think new songs will be played at wrigley is crazy. No easier way to lose 40,000 people's attention is to play a song no one has ever heard or care about. London maybe, but not wrigley :)
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,710

Im with ya dude,

and lets not forget No Code was heavily dismissed for a long time, and now its very much revered here.

im not saying BS is a no code style record because its instantly more accessible......but its funny how time changes perspectives.

We all have our opinions but id reach for BS over riot act any day of the week. (its apparent from how often the songs get played live that perhaps the band are not overjoyed by binaural and riot act?)
  • Options
    Backspacer is my favorite PJ album. I love all the songs on there-well, Johnny Guitar a little less than the others, but I never skip it! :D
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,921
    Again, given the conflicting information we have, Mike is the one I trust. Go with Mike.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."