Options

The Who- North American Tour announced

Comments

• Options
    mca47 wrote:
    Just got back.
    The Who killed it tonight. The crowd was awful! Halfway into the first song, they all sat and stayed seated the entire time around me. One old broad made a comment about my standing and she got a middle finger in her old face, followed by a long swig of beer! :lol:

My first Who show. Love me some Who, but the crowd suuuuucked!
    FUCK YEAH!!!!

So how old was the "Old Broad"
    My age? :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    mca47 wrote:
    Just got back.
    The Who killed it tonight. The crowd was awful! Halfway into the first song, they all sat and stayed seated the entire time around me. One old broad made a comment about my standing and she got a middle finger in her old face, followed by a long swig of beer! :lol:

She was CLEARLY not a Who fan. Every fan knows, NO SITTING at a Who show!

The crowd at Anaheim was really on and stayed rowdy the whole night. The only thing that annoyed me was during Tea and Theatre, which is a quiet song, some guy behind me kept screaming "I love you Pete!" :roll:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    No, Speedy, she was MY age! :P :lol:
  • Options
    My wife and I SAT for 90% of the show.

Call me old.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    My wife and I SAT for 90% of the show.

Call me old.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
    I don't give a rat's ass how old you are. :lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,258
    mca47 wrote:
    Just got back.

FUCK YEAH!!!!

Late 50s, early 60s...maybe.
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    sounds like a lot of the peeps from the chicago show went to the mca show :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    Like I said. My age. :lol::lol:
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,258
    mca47 wrote:
    Well, I'm sure you're waaaaay more fun at a show than that lady. :D

I was also surprised at how many open seats there were. My original seats were in section 230. Get there to find out they blocked off the entire upper deck. Had to get new tickets/seat assignments (way better seats!) and my section was maybe 70% full. 70% full of people napping!
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:

My age too!! :lol: Some of us "oldsters" love our Who and our PJ too!! :D
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    mca47 wrote:
    Well, I'm sure you're waaaaay more fun at a show than that lady. :D

I was also surprised at how many open seats there were. My original seats were in section 230. Get there to find out they blocked off the entire upper deck. Had to get new tickets/seat assignments (way better seats!) and my section was maybe 70% full. 70% full of people napping!
    Yeah, some of us old folks still know how to rock! :lol::lol:

I bought my tickets for Anaheim the day of the show. I was expecting some good ticket drops but I was amazed at what good seats we got. I wasn't sure if we'd get 3 seats together. Not only did we get to sit together but we were in 201, 3rd row on the aisle. Almost the same level as the stage, slightly higher. Some of the best concert tickets I've ever gotten! Felt like I was onstage. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:

My age too!! :lol: Some of us "oldsters" love our Who and our PJ too!! :D
    Hells yes! Like I said, some of us old folks . . . ;)
  • Options
    kj1nyrkj1nyr Posts: 837
    I'm heading to this show tonight in Phoenix. Decided yesterday to get tix, tried TM but nothing. Went to eBay and saw a set of resonable priced tix. At cost or less by the looks of it, good section and row. So, bought them. When I received the email from the seller I noticed their user name was Brainof something or other. So, I immediatley emailed back and was like, you must be a PJ Fan. Turns out, yes indeed, huge PJ fan, had a set of extra Who fan club tix that she needed to get rid of. Anyway, we met today for the tix exchange and exchanged many PJ related stories! Love when shit like this happens. She was really happy that a "true" fan got the tix. With that said, love me some Who tonight!

That was me, aka brainofkjf (KJF being my initials, aka KellyJean when I'm in trouble). :D I wish we would have had more time to compare PJ notes, but we'll have to get together another day when I don't have to rush back to work. Hope you enjoyed the show!!

I thought The Who were awesome!!!! I felt the entire audience hold their breath every time they knew Roger was coming up on having to hit a serious note. And I thought he nailed it!! Then everyone broke out in cheers and applause. He looks pretty good at 68 years young too! He was the first "rock star" who's picture I kept in my pre-pubescent wallet as a girl.

Anyone planning to hit any other shows on this tour do NOT hesitate. Great energy and I have no voice today from singing along!

Cheers,
    KJ
  • Options
    Hunger StrikeHunger Strike Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 229
    Hey KJ!

Great show, they were spot on!, thanks again!!! I also loved the opening band, Vintage Trouble, awesome!!!
    What a fun night!!!

Stay in touch!!!

Cheers!!!
    Sandra
  • Options
    Anybody going to Denver?
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    Anybody going to Denver?

headed there next summer. :mrgreen:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    If you didn't come to Denver last night, you missed an amazing show. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,244
    just bought 4 tix for the Nassau show next Thursday.

I hate that place...should have went to Barclays or MSG late last year

Still worth it to see them...its been 6 years for me
  • Options
    chaslilchaslil Westminster CO Posts: 306
    Who Princess- I am disappointed we didn't get to meet! Where were you last night?

I posted this review from The Who's Denver show last night on the "Relayers" Who list. I thought I share on my other message boards:

Quadrophenia has always been my favorite piece of music, so this was a real treat. I thought it was generally performed quite well over 90 minutes. Five mainstream hits after Quad rounded out the evening, leaving Pete and Roger alone on the stage to do Tea & Theater. The near capacity crowd went home happy. We were in the third row.

For me a Who show always centered around Pete Townshend. I missed his usual amusing banter, but they had to keep charging forward during Quad. He didn't get a chance to "cut loose" on his guitar until the extended version of 5:15. Brother Simon helped with some of lead licks. Pete remains a powerful presence, and naturally the lighting and cameras followed Roger and Pete the most, but Pete didn't *dominate the stage* like I have become used to over the past 42 years. I understand he can't do the leaps like in the old days (plenty of windmills though!), but I missed the soloing. Both Who Are You and the end of Won't Get Fooled Again were opportunities to let it rip that he passed up. I would have traded Pinball Wizard for My Generation with Pete killing it. The music stand in front of Pete during Quad was annoying, I'm glad he got rid of it for the hits at the end.

Roger is war horse, generally strong in voice. He takes good care of it. He has been pissed during earlier shows about smoking, so the audience was repeatedly told by PA and on video screens to refrain from lighting up. He struggled with a few high notes, appearing visibly frustrated at one point. But compared to Bob Dylan whose croak is awful and embarrassing, he's a miracle. Attention Eddie Vedder: Stop with the smoking or you will be like Dylan before you are 55! The iconic mic twirling is still around. Roger still likes to show off the six pack abs doesn't he?

We were directly in front of Pino Palladino on bass, and I was underwhelmed. He wasn't high on the mix and his playing was constrained. I have watched Pino play in a power trio with John Meyer, so I know he is capable of more. Zak Starkey has an injured ligament in his forearm, so he's been absent the last few shows. His replacement is from Roger's touring band. He did quite well, but I missed Zak, whom I consider to be the best drummer in rock. Simon Townshend is pretty much a fixture and added a good performance. They had three people on keyboards but they added little substance. I anticipated wrongly that the synth parts would be live, but I don't think they were. A white-haired dude played the opening piano tinkles on Love Reign O'er Me, but he did his own thing- I didn't like it so much. You are lucky to be on the stage with these guys, play it right.

I was less impressed with the videos served on the six screens arrayed behind the band. My Wife and I were in the 3rd row, so the focus for us was directly on the band, but I don't think the videos helped the narrative of the Quad story much. Some of "Who Glory Days" stuff on the screen was a bit overly self-indulgent. The heavy tone and content of the videos during the Rock was a total Non Sequitur, was very distracting, and arguably ruined one of my favorite Quad segments. Recorded videos of John Entwhistle and Keith Moon were incorporated into Quad. It's a nice tribute, but borders on cheesy. I had a laugh thinking about Furthur similarly playing along to a Jerry Garcia video. Hah! Otherwise, if you weren't in the front, the screens showing band close-ups probably were a blessing.

Reading this over, it appears I am complaining too much. Let it be said, this is a worthwhile show.

Also don't miss the openers, Vintage Trouble. They are a 60's retro style band, very high energy. I felt sorry for the late arrivals.

Charles
    Charles
    "The Who is my life. Pearl Jam is my retirement"
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,527
    chaslil wrote:

Also don't miss the openers, Vintage Trouble. They are a 60's retro style band, very high energy. I felt sorry for the late arrivals.

I have a CD of theirs which was included in a british rock magazine sent to me by a sweet 10C'er. good stuff :thumbup:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    BN8419BN8419 Posts: 290
    I'm going tomorrow night! I hadn't listened to QUAD in years, couldn't even find a copy, so I downloaded and have been playing the shit out of it eerywhere for the last week. Man, I don't remember that album being so good. Guess i am getting older, I appreciate the full span of it now. It's a little dissapointing that Zak Starkey won't be there, I have been amazed every time I've seen him play on video, etc... Hope the replacement is capable.

My first (and probably only) WHO show - !!!!
  • Options
    I was at the show last night (Feb 14) in Tulsa....and OMG - this was AMAZING!!! What a show - the words I want to use don't even do justice to the ass they kicked last night.

I've been a casual to interested Who fan for years, but first time I've seen them live. UN-FUCKING-BELIEVABLE!! Don't miss this show if you have a chance to go!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

06/26/2011 - EV - Detroit, MI
    09/03 and 09/04/2011 PJ20 - Alpine Valley
    06/20 and 06/21/2012 - PJ - Manchester, UK
    11/13 and 11/16/2012 - EV - Houston, TX and Dallas, TX
    07/29/2013 - PJ - Wrigley Field, Chicago, IL

11/15/2013 - PJ - Dallas, TX
    11/16/2013 - PJ - Oklahoma City, OK
    10/03/2014 - PJ - St. Louis, MO
    10/08/2014 - PJ - Tulsa, OK
    10/12/2014 - PJ - ACL Festival, Austin, TX
  • Options
    territamu wrote:
    I was at the show last night (Feb 14) in Tulsa....and OMG - this was AMAZING!!! What a show - the words I want to use don't even do justice to the ass they kicked last night.

I've been a casual to interested Who fan for years, but first time I've seen them live. UN-FUCKING-BELIEVABLE!! Don't miss this show if you have a chance to go!!
    You picked a good tour to see them the first time!
    Hard to pick a favorite part of the shows I've seen but when they play The Rock, it blew me away. I didn't want it to end.
  • Options
    EL 10EL 10 Posts: 40
    I also saw The Who for the first time tonite in Columbus. Awesome! Really amazing. I had 12th row center. People were actually sitting down at times. I was not used to that. Vintage Trouble was excellent! They are worth checking out. They did a meet & great afterwards & signed autographs - very nice guys. I would love to see them open for PJ sometime.
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    edited February 2013
    saw the show in Tulsa a few nights ago. What a great show! 8-) Crowd on the floor stood up the whole time. Vintage Trouble were very good, and got to meet them after the show. Zack was sick, so they had the guy from Roger's solo tours on drums.
    Post edited by red mos on
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    Spoony CSpoony C Posts: 278
    I was at the Louisville show Saturday, and really enjoyed it. I hadn't seen the Who since the 2006 tour, but had seen Roger solo a couple of times in 2009-10. His voice is definitely a bit rougher than it was on those solo tours, but not as bad as before he had surgery; the 2006 show, he was really struggling (and had a smoke allergy problem so bad he had to run backstage and let Pete sing "My Generation"). He did pretty well, though, considering, and while he laid off some of the tough parts, he still hit the "Enough of trying to loooooove!" to end "I've Had Enough," and saved up for the scream at the end of "Won't Get Fooled Again." I think the latter might have been sweetened a bit, to save him embarrassment, but it wouldn't bother me if it was. He had just had a couple minutes of technical difficulty with his in-ear monitors at that point--even skipping a couple of lines of the song while gesturing to his sound person--so hitting it on the right timing was impressive on its own.

Pete's voice seemed a bit rougher than I remember it from 2006, and he relied more on growls to cover what he couldn't croon, but on guitar he was still great. He even tried to do a leap at the end of "Baba O'Riley," but missed the timing so he didn't land on the final note. He joked about how it used to be much easier, and advised he'd really rip it up during WGFA. He didn't go too crazy, but he sounded great.

I liked the staging of Quadrophenia. I hadn't listened to it in quite some time, but it's so burned into me from listening during my college years (mid-nineties) that I still knew every word and could feel the flashbacks the music was bringing on. I think the 1996-97 Quad tour did a good job telling the story, but the video and narration between each song slowed it down and kiled momentum, and left less time for the hits portion of the evening after the album. So I liked this version, where aside from a couple of extended jams, it had the timing of the album, including the interstitial sound effects/newscasts/etc. between songs. And while the video wasn't great at storytelling, it did well setting the place for each song's spot in the story. And I really liked the history montages during "Quadrophenia" and "The Rock." The first one made more sense narratively, showing British and American culture from WWII to the early sixties, setting the stage for the plot of Quadrophenia. The second, from the mid-sixties to now, was less tied to the source material, but the combination of such a powerful song with such evocative images really, really worked for me. I think it's "The Rock" that I'm going to come away remembering the most. That, and the Entwistle bass solo with Zak Starkey playing live underneath it. I thought that worked well, too.
  • Options
    RoughMixRoughMix back of a lorry Posts: 385
    Going to my 4th (and final) show of the tour tomorrow night in Hamilton.
    Can't wait.Again!! 2nd row.
    I will never get tired of seeing this band.
    "They don't give a shit Keith Moon is dead,
    is that exactly what I thought I read."
  • Options
    acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    Never really clicked with The Who when I was developing my music taste in High School.

I had Who's Next in the collection -- eventually added their greatest hits CD. As a guitar affecinado, I've always liked Pete (even when he switched to Strats...) and saw him in '96 at the Bridge School Benefit -- so I had kinda notched him off of my "Must See Every Guitar God" quest.

And then the Dad of one my daughter's friends calls me up, "Hey, Wanna see this Quadrophenia Tour?" He's seen them a gazillion times, was his High School scene, so I figure, heck, it's like watching World Cup with a European!

We caught the Oakland Arena show, four days after having my mind blown by Muse! Vintage Trouble was a blast! They're making a big splash, seeing them listed at a lot of festivals and openers now. And they certainly got the crowd up and excited. Perfect opener.

And I knew nothing about Quadrophenia -- it's kinda like their Wall album, huh? Oh my, that was certainly a blast! The floor was standing for the entire show, we were 2 sections down on the sides and sat/stood throughout the middle of the show, but were on our feet for the finale and the encores. I had OF COURSE heard nearly all that album without really registering it. Love love loved it. Every moment...

The production was great, and Pete and Roger were certainly center stage -- Pete thanked Roger personally at the end, "For doing this whole thing for me..." Noticed he has a good growl going, every time he sang I would just think, "Man, I'm just more of a Pete fan..." and then Roger would sing again and I'd forget Pete!

At some point, Pete's glasses came flying off -- he put 'em back on and shook his head. In between songs someone ran out and handed him his sunglasses, poor guy!

I liked the Entwistle and Moon tributes, Roger and Pete turned around and watched 'em. But I mostly just watched Pete all night....

And then when Quad was done -- ohhh my. Anyone notice? IT GOT LOUDER. They cranked it up for those last five greatest hits songs as most of the supporting musicians exited and they stripped down to the smaller core rock band. Mighty impressive, thoroughly fun! And I really liked that Tea & Theatre at the very end -- nice to see Pete stills plays some kinda Gibson!
    [sic] happens
  • Options
    RoughMix wrote:
    Going to my 4th (and final) show of the tour tomorrow night in Hamilton.
    Can't wait.Again!! 2nd row.
    I will never get tired of seeing this band.

Tonight will be my 2nd and final show for this tour. I'm really stoked about being 4th row in front of Pete. Plus, great news... Zack is back. After missing 4 or 5 shows Zack is back behind the kit. Enjoy the show. :D

q
  • Options
    Spoony C wrote:
    I think it's "The Rock" that I'm going to come away remembering the most.
    A week after Denver, The Rock is still playing in my head. 8-)