Gary Clark Jr.

Comments

• intodeep wrote:
    Album comes out next Tuesday, right? Stoked!
    yes i just saw his "gary clark jr" ep on amazon last night and i purchased that. came out in 2010 but had a few songs i'd not heard so i was stoked
    It's real good.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Album comes out next Tuesday, right? Stoked!

Will be buying next Tuesday for sure. Gary tweeted that the vinyl version will be available in stores on Nov 23. Will most likely be buying that too... 8-)
    "In certain trying circumstances...profanity furnishes a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
  • blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,505
    yes. i've been wondering for months now, why does this guy not have a full album out?

oh. next tues? coolbeans.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,488
    My preorder CD came in the mail yesterday. I gave it two solid listens.

Maybe I'm a little out of the loop but I was TOTALLY shocked by some of the songs on this album. Blak and Blu and The Life are straight up R&B songs. There's another one too I believe.

The rest of the album is the normal kick ass blues type stuff we have heard from Gary (although Ain't Messin Around is a lot more pop then I'd thought his first single would be). there's a little Stevie Wonder vibe in some songs also, which is a good thing.

The "R&B" songs are good (I guess) but I think they destroy the flow of the album. I was so pumped to burn a copy of this for my uncle who is a blues maniac, so I'm gonna have to just take those songs off.

That being said the "blues" sings are incredible (and he should really stick to this). When My Train Pulls In is definitely the highlight. Also loved Numb and Glitter Ain't Gold the best. The version of Third Stone/If You Love Me is good, but the live version on HWUL Raw Cuts is not surprisingly way more ferocious.

Just still a little confused why he didn't make a 100% rock/blues album. I've seen him three different times this year (and a 4th coming in Nov) and never thought he had any other side to him other than just kick ass guitar insanity.
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    Listened to his last EP and some of the album on itunes today. Wow, this guy's really good! Great songs! I'm definitely going to buy the album..probably the vinyl also.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    samjam wrote:
    Missed him in NYC, missed him at MIA, so really hoping I'll be able to see him in DC next month!
    Aaaaand crap, looks like I have somewhere to be on that day! Damn! Still gotta listen to the new album. I've heard it's quite good, but way all over the place. Will have to see for myself!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
    Album is out today.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,488
    Preorder came with the two iTunes bonus tracks and also HWUL Raw Cuts Vol. 2, which is 7 live tracks. They will also be sending Vol. 3 in December.

This guys live stuff is just incredible.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    So i like the album. As i was worreid it has a bit too polished sound with the production for my taste and soemtimes a little more pop friendly than i like. I really like the dirty blues sound he gets live. That said i'm enjoying it.

The outro solo on when my train pulls in..... :o :shock: :mrgreen:

Kills me everytime
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:
    So i like the album. As i was worreid it has a bit too polished sound with the production for my taste and soemtimes a little more pop friendly than i like. I really like the dirty blues sound he gets live. That said i'm enjoying it.

Kills me everytime

Oh yeah..that's awesome!
  • kasedougkasedoug The Golden State Posts: 2,888
    Haven't even picked up the album yet (did listen on iTunes)but that's my favorite song. Literally been waiting for that one song since seeing him play it at Coachella. Off to get the album!
    Better Dan wrote:
    intodeep wrote:

Kills me everytime

Oh yeah..that's awesome!
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    FOrgot it came out yesterday, picked it up today. WIll give it a listen tomorrow.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    intodeep wrote:

Kills me everytime

I think this pretty well sums up my thoughts, too. You can definitely hear the big name pop producer slickness, but When My Train Pulls In is a monster.
  • MissPennyLaneMissPennyLane Redondo Beach, CA Posts: 687
    Made my day when I saw this guys name pop on here! Saw him at Bridge School over the weekend and he is just so cool.....
    I saw something on youtube were this summer i guess he played with mick jagger and Buddy Buy at the white house for the Obama's

Pretty cool I thought
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    Listened to his album today. Wow it rocked and kicked ass! I think i said it before, reminds me of kimi hendrix meets the black keys :D
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Listened to his album today. Wow it rocked and kicked ass! I think i said it before, reminds me of kimi hendrix meets the black keys :D
    especially the song "Numb"!
    We were but stones your light made us stars
    Yuu Saved Me sounds like a Tres Mts. song
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,643
    solid disc. not really feeling track 3 but everything else is great. track 2 is phenomenal, it is worth the price of admission. the life is also a track i didnt think i would like but i love it now. i hope this guy comes to canada, more specifically alberta or bc because i would be there for sure
    Can't wait to see him on Tuesday at the Troubadour!
  • EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,995
    kasedoug wrote:

Somebody at the Brandi Carlile concert Friday told me last night I was crazy not to go see him. Said he's amazing. I think he said he's at the Troubadour two nights maybe?
    3 nights at the Troubadour, Tues, Wed, Thurs. All sold out. Saw him at Coachella this year from right up front and he was amazing! One of my favorite sets of the entire festival. I've been trying desperately to get a ticket, even though I had a couple in my cart during the onsale but let them go because I was waiting on my brother, but everybody wants 2,3,4x face value.

So thankful for my friend having an extra. I love the Troub and I can't wait to see him there! If you can find a ticket for reasonable, I highly recommend it.
    Enkidu wrote:
    kasedoug wrote:

Somebody at the Brandi Carlile concert Friday told me last night I was crazy not to go see him. Said he's amazing. I think he said he's at the Troubadour two nights maybe?
    kasedoug wrote:
    3 nights at the Troubadour, Tues, Wed, Thurs. All sold out. Saw him at Coachella this year from right up front and he was amazing! One of my favorite sets of the entire festival. I've been trying desperately to get a ticket, even though I had a couple in my cart during the onsale but let them go because I was waiting on my brother, but everybody wants 2,3,4x face value.

So thankful for my friend having an extra. I love the Troub and I can't wait to see him there! If you can find a ticket for reasonable, I highly recommend it.
    Enkidu wrote:
    kasedoug wrote:

[/quote
    These are going to be such great shows! Im going tonight and seeing him at troubadour is such a perfect match
    Cant wait!
    My friend said the EXACT same thing about his set at Coachella. That it was her favorite of the weekend...so excited he`s at the Troubadour for these shows this week, yay.
    kasedoug wrote:

Enkidu wrote:
    kasedoug wrote:

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Saw dude Saturday night. Dude is awesome.
    I was absolutely blown away tonight! Gary was even more incredible than I'd seen before and the Troubadour was the perfect place to see him. What a show. He was incredible!!!

My favorite song of his is "When My Train Pulls In" and that song was worth the price of admission alone. Except, it was only the first song! It just got better and better throughotu. "Numb" absolutely ripped to close out the main set. The encore was great and I loved "Blak and Blu" into "Bright Lights" to close out. So good!

My friend hadn't seen him before and she turned to me and said, "my face hurts from smiling." Yep. That about summed it up perfectly. :D So thankful to her for the extra ticket.

049-1.jpg
    kasedoug wrote:
    I was absolutely blown away tonight! Gary was even more incredible than I'd seen before and the Troubadour was the perfect place to see him. What a show. He was incredible!!!

My favorite song of his is "When My Train Pulls In" and that song was worth the price of admission alone. Except, it was only the first song! It just got better and better throughotu. "Numb" absolutely ripped to close out the main set. The encore was great and I loved "Blak and Blu" into "Bright Lights" to close out. So good!

My friend hadn't seen him before and she turned to me and said, "my face hurts from smiling." Yep. That about summed it up perfectly. :D So thankful to her for the extra ticket.

049-1.jpg
    He opened with when my train pulls in :o
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    I think he almost always does, but that's one of the few songs where I could be thoroughly satisfied if he only played a one song set. Luckily, he played on and it was an incredible night. :D
    intodeep wrote:
    He opened with when my train pulls in :o
  • cowboypjfancowboypjfan Posts: 2,453
    If you have a dimadozen.org account, here's a torrent of Gary Clark Jr.'s 11-9-12 DC performance:

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=428174
    kasedoug wrote:

049-1.jpg

God damn he jams!!!