Best Concert of 2012

Comments

• Citizen ZackCitizen Zack Posts: 1,763
    ComeToTX wrote:
    Agree. It's a great song. Saw them in October and thinking about a Texas show this summer.

Definitely do one of the Texas shows. My wife and I are doing Grand Prairie on June 2nd and New Braunfels on July 28th. They are also playing the Free Press Festival in Houston on June 3rd. I don't think we'll make it back from Dallas in time for that, but we're stoked about the other two shows.
    "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them." - Thoreau

No time to be void, or save up on life, you've got to spend it all
  • samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    chimpat wrote:
    I saw the Avett Brothers last night at Terminal 5 in nyc, was really impressed with their show. Awesome live band.
    Jealous!! If only I was home, I would have so been there! Avetts are A+ live. Incredible! Also can't wait for the new album!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    I'm looking forward to seeing Glen Hansard in June, but unless PJ actually plays Central Park, I think there's nothing but classical music on my concert calendar.

Favorite NYPhil concerts this year:

http://nyphil.org/meet/archive/index.cf ... &archive=1
    Yuja Wang is a star in the making.

This was just an amazing, exhilarating concert.

Technically in 2011, but part of the 2011-12 season and a huge, hugely moving event.

I've seen some of the biggest names in classical music perform this year (e.g. Joshua Bell, Lang Lang), but I think my introduction, thanks to my son, to contemporary "classical" music has been my biggest opportunity for learning and growth, and I've been lucky to see some really, really great performances of very interesting pieces in small venues. :)
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    dr john and warren
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    the boss at msg
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    I'll just rank my six concerts of the year (so far):
    1. Tool
    2. Mastodon/Opeth
    3. Supersuckers/Nashville Pussy
    4. Red Hot Chili Peppers
    5. Big Wreck
    6. Andrew WK
    7. Young the Giant

I have Big Wreck coming up tomorrow, and I fully expect that to be better than the bottom two at least.
    Edited to include tonight's Big Wreck show.
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,122
    Nothing new except for The Once & Future Carpenter. They've been playing that one live for the last year or so and it's slated to be on the new record. It actually might be my favorite song by them right now and I'm a huge fan. Seeing them twice more this summer and can't wait.

The set from NYC last night looked awesome though -

Will You Return, Tin Man, Traveling Song, Distraction #74, Paranoia in Bb Major, At The Beach, Pretty Girl From Cedar Lane, Prettiest Thing, Down With The Shine, Slight Figure of Speech, Salina, Shame, Denouncing November Blue, Head Full of Doubt, The Fall, The Once & Future Carpenter, Gimme A Kiss, Murder in the City, Ballad of Love & Hate, Closer Walk With Thee, Laundry Room, I Killed Sally's Lover, Go To Sleep, Kick Drum Heart, I & Love & You

Encore: January Wedding, Matrimony, Talk On Indolence

I saw them live in London on June 22nd 2011. They were really awesome! I also got to shake hands with Scott and took the handwritten setlist home with me! :D Here's the setlist from that show:

1) AND IT SPREAD
    2) TIN MAN
    3) THE FALL
    4) SHAME
    5) PARANOIA
    6) GO TO SLEEP
    7) 74
    8) JAN WED
    9) HEAD FULL OF DOUBT.
    10) MURDER IN THE CITY
    11) WHEN I DRINK
    12) PRETTIEST THING
    13) SALINA
    14) KICK DRUM
    15) COLOURSHOW
    16) LAUNDRY
    17) ONCE AND FUTURE
    18) SALLYS LOVER
    19) I+L+Y
    20) BALLAD
    21) INOLENCE
    22) GOSPEL

P.S: At the back of the setlist there is their whole schedule before that concert at Shepherd's Bush (hotel, dinner, soundcheck, merch etc.) 8-)
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • MissJam81MissJam81 Posts: 1,878
    I went to see Florence and The Machine in New Castle and she blew me away!!! :clap::clap:
    Wendy Testaburger

" we're going to take this to some level that people aren't going to forget... and if that means risking your life, we're going to do it!..." EV

"
  • acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    acutejam wrote:
    Oh I'll play! Lemme just rank those....

1) Built to Spill - Uptown Theater, Napa
    2) The Black Keys - Oracle Arena, Oakland
    3) Built to Spill - The Fillmore, SF
    4) Death Cab for Cutie - The Fox Theater, Oakland (Tues)
    4) Death Cab for Cutie - The Fox Theater, Oakland (Weds)
    5) Matt Nathanson - The Fillmore, SF
    6) OAR - The Fillmore, SF

And then, sigh .. not seen: Coldplay double booked for EV which was then cancelled.

Edit: Was sitting there knowing I was missing something .... And it should prolly be on the top of the list! But then as the Death Cab sinks in, man, some simply haunting show! So hard to choose, but not that hard when your bro and yer 80 year old dad both go with you to see:

1) Leo Kottke - Mystic Theater, Petaluma, CA
    [sic] happens
  • Citizen ZackCitizen Zack Posts: 1,763
    Pap wrote:
    Nothing new except for The Once & Future Carpenter. They've been playing that one live for the last year or so and it's slated to be on the new record. It actually might be my favorite song by them right now and I'm a huge fan. Seeing them twice more this summer and can't wait.

The set from NYC last night looked awesome though -

Will You Return, Tin Man, Traveling Song, Distraction #74, Paranoia in Bb Major, At The Beach, Pretty Girl From Cedar Lane, Prettiest Thing, Down With The Shine, Slight Figure of Speech, Salina, Shame, Denouncing November Blue, Head Full of Doubt, The Fall, The Once & Future Carpenter, Gimme A Kiss, Murder in the City, Ballad of Love & Hate, Closer Walk With Thee, Laundry Room, I Killed Sally's Lover, Go To Sleep, Kick Drum Heart, I & Love & You

Encore: January Wedding, Matrimony, Talk On Indolence

I saw them live in London on June 22nd 2011. They were really awesome! I also got to shake hands with Scott and took the handwritten setlist home with me! :D Here's the setlist from that show:

1) AND IT SPREAD
    2) TIN MAN
    3) THE FALL
    4) SHAME
    5) PARANOIA
    6) GO TO SLEEP
    7) 74
    8) JAN WED
    9) HEAD FULL OF DOUBT.
    10) MURDER IN THE CITY
    11) WHEN I DRINK
    12) PRETTIEST THING
    13) SALINA
    14) KICK DRUM
    15) COLOURSHOW
    16) LAUNDRY
    17) ONCE AND FUTURE
    18) SALLYS LOVER
    19) I+L+Y
    20) BALLAD
    21) INOLENCE
    22) GOSPEL

P.S: At the back of the setlist there is their whole schedule before that concert at Shepherd's Bush (hotel, dinner, soundcheck, merch etc.) 8-)

Awesome! That's a great souvenier.
    "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them." - Thoreau

No time to be void, or save up on life, you've got to spend it all
    I'll just rank my six concerts of the year (so far):
    1. Mark Lanegan
    2. Tool
    3. Mastodon/Opeth
    4. Supersuckers/Nashville Pussy
    5. Red Hot Chili Peppers
    6. Big Wreck
    7. Andrew WK
    8. Young the Giant
    Edited to include tonights Mark Lanegan concert
  • No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    Bon Iver - Brisbane in March - Best Non PJ concert I have seen - Just Brilliant

City and Colour - Brisbane May 8th

Calling all Cars - Brisbane May 5th

Coming up I have Matt Corby and then Busby Marou - Both should be very good. Then hopefully Slash in October
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,717
    Beach House, Bowery Ballroom NYC 5.15.12
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
  • perfectlefts14perfectlefts14 Posts: 1,955
    81 wrote:
    bit early in the year, but Radiohead by a mile
    ^^^this^^^
    Tell the captain
    'This boats not safe
    And we're drowning.'
  • kasedougkasedoug The Golden State Posts: 2,888
    Saw Beck at the El Rey last night and have to add him to my top 3. He was playing with his old band for the first time since they recorded Sea Change 10 years ago. The show was incredible and heavy on Sea Change and Odelay, which are my two favorite Beck albums.
    photo2.jpg
    kasedoug wrote:
    So far this year, I've seen Wilco, Mark Lanegan Band, Cake, Sleigh Bells x2, Dead Sara, little hurricane, Cloud Nothings, Guns 'N Roses, The Joy Formidable, Of Monsters and Men, The Stone Foxes, The Beach Boys, been to Coachella (my top sets were Gary Clark Jr., Other Lives, Pulp, The Black Keys, The Head and the Heart, The Shins, Radiohead, The Hives, and Dr. Dre & Snoop Dogg), Deer Tick, and Jack White.

Jack White has probably been my from that list, with Radiohead, Wilco, The Joy Formidable, and The Hives rounding out the top 5.

Oof. How can I forget the Boss? Totally slipped my mind about Springsteen and I don't know how because he was incredible and tops the list. Springsteen, Jack White, Beck, and then the rest.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    I'll rank mine as well:
    1. 3/10- The Black Keys/Arctic Monkeys@ Wells Fargo Center
    2. 5/3- The Shins@ Tower Theater
    3. 3/21- Kasabian@ TLA
    4. 2/2- The Asteroids Galaxy Tour@ Union Transfer
    5. 3/31- Nowadays Music Festival in Bethlehem, PA w/We Are Scientists & RJD2

*updated since i saw Polyphonic Spree last night :D
    1. 5/25- The Polyphonic Spree@ TLA
    2. 3/10- The Black Keys/Arctic Monkeys@ Wells Fargo Center
    3. 5/3- The Shins@ Tower Theater
    4. 3/21- Kasabian@ TLA
    5. 2/2- The Asteroids Galaxy Tour@ Union Transfer
    6. 3/31- Nowadays Music Festival in Bethlehem, PA w/We Are Scientists & RJD2

This was my first time seeing the Spree. I was a "Casual fan" before. Had their albums and all but no real desire to see them. Some of my friends had seen them before and I decided to check them out. I heard they were good live. Not what I expected, really really good/fun/energetic band. Great interaction with the crowd and Tim (former singer of Tripping Daisy) seemed real cool. Hung out signed autographs, took pics. Hate to say this but they reminded me a lot of Arcade Fire. About 15 people in the band and just as good live :D
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • titchinellotitchinello Posts: 3,139
    BamaPJFan wrote:
    My favorite(s) so far in 2012 are Guns N' Roses. I saw GNR twice in March on their small venue tour. Awesome stuff. Axl sounded great and his band is really good. Obviously not the original lineup that too many people obsess over, but you wouldn't know it just by listening to them play.

I've also seen Springsteen. It was my first Bruce concert, but to be honest, I wasn't that impressed. I thought it was a little on the boring side. It was a good show, but nothing unique or 'special' as so many people tend to say about his concerts. Maybe that's because I'm not a huge Springsteen fan, but at least I can now say that I've been to one of his shows.

Coming up, over the next few months, I have Roger Waters performing 'The Wall' in Atlanta at Philips Arena, Iron Maiden with Alice Cooper in Charlotte (I'm pretty stoked about this show. The Mighty Maiden!!!), Van Halen twice (New Orleans and Birmingham, AL), Aerosmith in Atlanta, and Merle Haggard in Aspen, CO.

I'm just home from seeing guns n roses in Glasgow, and must say it was awsome, and its true, the new line up is so amazing, you don't miss the original line. axl and band sounded great. so far my fav gig of the year
    Glasgow cathouse-1992-2-23, San diego sports arena-1995-11-06 & 07, Glasgow secc-2000-06-03, Tampa st petes times forum-2003-04-13, London O2 arena-2009-08-18, Belfast odyssey arena-2010-06-23.Leeds 2014 - 07-08
  • LanternjawLanternjaw Posts: 553
    I can't not go with Springsteen in Albany April 16... I took my two daughters and the neighbor's son who had never seen Bruce. I sat side stage about 11 rows up with my youngest daughter (she's 11) and gave my oldest daughter (16) and the neighbor's son (15) the GA tix... they lucked out and got into the pit via the lottery and this was the result:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSiR2wqz ... e=youtu.be

My daughter got pulled up on stage and the neighbor's son is the red-haired kid with the blue hat.

It can't get much better than that... :D:D:D
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    kasedoug wrote:
    Saw Beck at the El Rey last night and have to add him to my top 3. He was playing with his old band for the first time since they recorded Sea Change 10 years ago. The show was incredible and heavy on Sea Change and Odelay, which are my two favorite Beck albums.
    photo2.jpg

Nice :D
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    MissJam81 wrote:
    I went to see Florence and The Machine in New Castle and she blew me away!!! :clap::clap:

I saw Florence in Glasgow in March,she was amazing.I was so surprised as I didn't know what to think but she was one of the most engaging performers I have seen in a while.I thought she'd be dour and uncommunicative but she was bright and laughs a lot.She is also absolutely beautiful.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • mensanemensane Posts: 912
    doesn't really matter.....seeing Afghan Whigs later this year will surpass all....
    I haven't posted in this thread for a while. Here's my updated list:

1. 29-Sep - Ben Harper
    2. 15-May - Mark Lanegan
    3. 16-Sep - Glen Hansard
    4. 25-Jan - Tool
    5. 07-Apr - Mastodon/Opeth
    6. 26-Apr - Supersuckers/Nashville Pussy
    7. 28-Apr - Red Hot Chili Peppers
    8. 10-May - Big Wreck
    9. 17-Aug - Grace Potter & the Noctournals
    10. 14-Jun - Bad Religion
    11. 27-Mar - Andrew WK
    12. 1 Mar - Young the Giant
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    my morning jacket - AGAIN.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    Still have a couple of shows to hit before the end of the year but so far:

1. Pearl Jam in ATL!!!
    2. Mumford and Sons (by far one of the best shows I've ever seen)
    3. Old Crow Medicine Show (Bluegrass Fest was best then Central Park and the Palace in Louisville although I'm also going to see them NYE at the Ryman which should be the BEST of the 4)
    4. My Morning Jacket

Hopefully will be seeing Springsteen in November and then EV in Memphis.
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    I'll rank mine as well:
    1. 3/10- The Black Keys/Arctic Monkeys@ Wells Fargo Center
    2. 5/3- The Shins@ Tower Theater
    3. 3/21- Kasabian@ TLA
    4. 2/2- The Asteroids Galaxy Tour@ Union Transfer
    5. 3/31- Nowadays Music Festival in Bethlehem, PA w/We Are Scientists & RJD2

*updated since i saw Polyphonic Spree last night :D
    1. 5/25- The Polyphonic Spree@ TLA
    2. 3/10- The Black Keys/Arctic Monkeys@ Wells Fargo Center
    3. 5/3- The Shins@ Tower Theater
    4. 3/21- Kasabian@ TLA
    5. 2/2- The Asteroids Galaxy Tour@ Union Transfer
    6. 3/31- Nowadays Music Festival in Bethlehem, PA w/We Are Scientists & RJD2

This was my first time seeing the Spree. I was a "Casual fan" before. Had their albums and all but no real desire to see them. Some of my friends had seen them before and I decided to check them out. I heard they were good live. Not what I expected, really really good/fun/energetic band. Great interaction with the crowd and Tim (former singer of Tripping Daisy) seemed real cool. Hung out signed autographs, took pics. Hate to say this but they reminded me a lot of Arcade Fire. About 15 people in the band and just as good live :D

wow, i've seen about double the shows now, not sure if i can rank them now :lol: Plus would festivals count as 1 event or say if it's a 2 or 3 day thing separate events for each day :?:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly

wow, i've seen about double the shows now, not sure if i can rank them now :lol: Plus would festivals count as 1 event or say if it's a 2 or 3 day thing separate events for each day :?:
    I keep a spreadsheet of my concerts, including a rank column (out of ten). So for me it's somewhat easy, just sort by ranking. Personally I count two nights of a festival as separate entities, but that's just me, and I don't see too many festival shows.
    Updated to include last night's Afghan Whigs Show

1. 29-Sep - Ben Harper
    2. 15-May - Mark Lanegan
    3. 16-Sep - Glen Hansard
    4. 25-Jan - Tool
    5. 07-Apr - Mastodon/Opeth
    6. 03-Oct - The Afghan Whigs
    7. 26-Apr - Supersuckers/Nashville Pussy
    8. 28-Apr - Red Hot Chili Peppers
    9. 10-May - Big Wreck
    10. 17-Aug - Grace Potter & the Noctournals
    11. 14-Jun - Bad Religion
    12. 27-Mar - Andrew WK
    13. 01-Mar - Young the Giant
  • got give a nod to the boss
    most concerts are 2hours
    he plays over 3.5hours on this tour
    thats another concert after a normal concert :shock:

and comparing club shows to concerts is another thing entirely. i love club shows

also the year isn't over yet. i still have approx 20more ticket stubs
  • pjamaholicpjamaholic Posts: 1,225
    81 wrote:
    bit early in the year, but Radiohead by a mile

I would have to say Roger Waters cos he's the only concert I've been to this year. But then I have a band I've been eagerly awaiting for many months - Radiohead in November. :D
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,939
    considering Ive got RHCP, Neil Young, Paul Mcarntey and Tragically Hip still to go, this conversation will take place later.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18