Something funny about MIA

TheDecline13TheDecline13 Posts: 990
edited September 2012 in The Porch
Show was great but the one thing that kinda bugs me is Ed starts talking about how jobs should be created in America, which is fine I agree 1000% but the problem is the jacket being sold at the show was made in China.

It has stuck with me for a few days and figured I would share it.
Tour with fucking NOFX
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    you need to let it go and move on. Focus on the music and the show the boys put on.

Also, be thankful you got to see the best band in the world play this year.

Love to have a PJ fix this year.. maybe next year, fingers crossed.
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • I loved the show, they were fucking fire.. Very interesting to see the band with the very eclectic crowed nice change of pace.

Never said I wasn't thankful, but its hard when someone speaks from the heart when they doing the same things as the accused .

Nami wrote:
    you need to let it go and move on. Focus on the music and the show the boys put on.

Tour with fucking NOFX
  • Show was great but the one thing that kinda bugs me is Ed starts talking about how jobs should be created in America, which is fine I agree 1000% but the problem is the jacket being sold at the show was made in China.

It is worth sharing. PJ is authentic as they come, but we live in a dollars-and-cents(sense also applies here) world. PJ is a business. Making clothing in China makes economic sense. Making clothing in the USA would cause a spike in cost that would send most consumers into a coma.

America has become the most spoiled country in the history of the world.
  • Very interesting point. I think I agree with you. Unfortunately I do not think he has much control over where those things come from or maybe he never thought about it. But perhaps he should.
  • Kelly Leak wrote:
    Show was great but the one thing that kinda bugs me is Ed starts talking about how jobs should be created in America, which is fine I agree 1000% but the problem is the jacket being sold at the show was made in China.

It is worth sharing. PJ is authentic as they come, but we live in a dollars-and-cents(sense also applies here) world. PJ is a business. Making clothing in China makes economic sense. Making clothing in the USA would cause a spike in cost that would send most consumers into a coma.

America has become the most spoiled country in the history of the world.

I think its worth sharing, its a forum of discussion. Many people did not see or hear the show its information that people could discuss. I agree pearl jam is a business, one of the best business around in fact. But if one of the CEO's starts making statements, someone should be able to point out that there doing the same thing.

Also the shirts are made in America at $35 (Maybe $30 I would have to check my receipts), Jacket made in China $60.
    Tour with fucking NOFX
  • schuhljam wrote:
    Very interesting point. I think I agree with you. Unfortunately I do not think he has much control over where those things come from or maybe he never thought about it. But perhaps he should.

I'm sure he doesnt either but like I said it "stuck" with me. Did it stop me from buying the merch. hell no. I would take a bullet for the band if need be.. ha
    Tour with fucking NOFX
  • Show was great but the one thing that kinda bugs me is Ed starts talking about how jobs should be created in America, which is fine I agree 1000% but the problem is the jacket being sold at the show was made in China.

Your not alone, I thought of the lumber Jacket as soon as he said it.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • All Sprinsgteen shirts made in US - $40 each. Also interestingly all monitors on stage as well - then unions came out to break down stage. Interesting contrast.
    "Stone (Gossard, Pearl Jam guitarist) is barely a guy, anyway. [Laughs] He's not a dude. He wears flip-flops onstage."

-Janet Weiss of Sleater-Kinney
  • boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525

Your not alone, I thought of the lumber Jacket as soon as he said it.

I don't think PJ getting their clothing merch made in the US is going to help the economy or jobs market out. How many of those jackets do you think got made? I'd be surprised if it was a 1000. Seriously people are going way over the top on this.
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Haha...

... come on. Big deal.

I bet you all drive american cars too? Only play american game consoles? Only Xbox - no Nintendo or Sony in your house!

Did you watch that swedish vampire-movie "Let the right one in" or waited for the american remake cuz your a patriot? "This movie didn't help the filmworkers in California, they gave work to swedish filmworkers - no way we can watch this film and stay true americans!"

Pearl Jam is a band with an international audience. They should play China and say "we helped create jobs here!" and as long as the people making the shirts were treated correct, that matters more to me than making them in american XXXXXXXXXL sizes.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    Haha...

... come on. Big deal.

I bet you all drive american cars too? Only play american game consoles? Only Xbox - no Nintendo or Sony in your house!

Did you watch that swedish vampire-movie "Let the right one in" or waited for the american remake cuz your a patriot? "This movie didn't help the filmworkers in California, they gave work to swedish filmworkers - no way we can watch this film and stay true americans!"

Pearl Jam is a band with an international audience. They should play China and say "we helped create jobs here!" and as long as the people making the shirts were treated correct, that matters more to me than making them in american XXXXXXXXXL sizes.

Yep.

Everyone's a hypocrite here. People moaning about PJ playing the Oracle thing - 90% of people on this forum must work for a corporation. And then this jacket thing. Its hilarious.
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    love the fact that eddie here in europe shows talks for intresting things and not politics..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • love the fact that eddie here in europe shows talks for intresting things and not politics..
    I would not say that saying "Hello. Sorry for my bad [insert language], sorry for us taking so long to come back but we will come back more often from now on!" in X different languages is more interesting.

More cheesy - yes. Interesting...no...
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    love the fact that eddie here in europe shows talks for intresting things and not politics..
    I would not say that saying "Hello. Sorry for my bad [insert language], sorry for us taking so long to come back but we will come back more often from now on!" in X different languages is more interesting.

More cheesy - yes. Interesting...no...
    for me everything is more intresting than any politics
    for bikes,for lakes,for serfing?whatever..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Tboz51Tboz51 Posts: 2,808
    Nami wrote:

Yes, everyone ignore the atrocities of China and just keep your heads in the sand.

Don't get politically or socially involved in anything because in the end you need to not care about other nations or other human beings. Not so long as music is being performed.

Please ignore anyone else or any other problems in this world. Just keep listening...
    "Honesty will always be construed as negative to a dumbass"
    :-)
  • I know you're focusing on the jacket and maybe the zip-up at the show but it is worth pointing out that all of the t-shirts they sold at MIA ($30) are made in the US. However, you do have a greater point and I think the debate is worth having considering that Ed decides to use the stage as a soapbox for his views and ideals. If the zip-up at MIA was made in china and sold for $60, I'd rather it be made on an American Apparel zip-up and sold for $70. Also, American Apparel sweatshirts are great quality so I don't mind paying for something I consider a superior product.

Remember too that the posters were made in America so all things considered more merch sold at MIA was made in America than anywhere else which I think is worth praising.

My 2 cents.

POP POP!
    POP POP!
  • Tboz51 wrote:
    Yes, everyone ignore the atrocities of the USA or whatever nation and just keep your heads in the sand.

Buying clothes from China is not "ignoring atrocities". It's a country still evolving burden by its rule and late development. Compare that to where the western world was at the same stage of development.

And saying that this discussion regarding where the PJ merch are made is pointless is also not the same as ignoring atrocities.

And if USA (or comparable nation) is in the forefront of our praised democratic evolvment - how come it still have the death penalty and the top of its (democratic political climate consists of right-winged, more right-winged and crazy christian right-winged?

It's a piece of clothing made in a country other than your own... come on... as I stated earlier - as long as it's being made from a place where the workers are being treated correclty.
    Tboz51 wrote:
    Yes, everyone ignore the atrocities of the USA or whatever nation and just keep your heads in the sand.

Buying clothes from China is not "ignoring atrocities". It's a country still evolving burden by its rule and late development. Compare that to where the western world was at the same stage of development.

And saying that this discussion regarding where the PJ merch are made is pointless is also not the same as ignoring atrocities.

And if USA (or comparable nation) is in the forefront of our praised democratic evolvment - how come it still have the death penalty and the top of its (democratic political climate consists of right-winged, more right-winged and crazy christian right-winged?

It's a piece of clothing made in a country other than your own... come on... as I stated earlier - as long as it's being made from a place where the workers are being treated correclty.

Yes, because we know that things that come from China are always made humanely.

Read the post I referenced.. the one telling the guy to not worry about where stuff is made, just listen to the music.

Dissecting my post for your own agenda isn't cool....

DO NOT ignore other countries and do your absolute best to never buy any cheaply made Chinese stuff.

Yes care about other life issues besides "the music".

But, in fairness if we all quit caring maybe some day we can all speak chinese on this planet?
  • Tboz51 wrote:
    Tboz51 wrote:

Yes, because we know that things that come from China are always made humanely.

Read the post I referenced.. the one telling the guy to not worry about where stuff is made, just listen to the music.

Dissecting my post for your own agenda isn't cool....

DO NOT ignore other countries and do your absolute best to never buy any cheaply made Chinese stuff.

Yes care about other life issues besides "the music".

But, in fairness if we all quit caring maybe some day we can all speak chinese on this planet?

The thing is - You take for granted that they were made inhumane (if that is the word).
    I trust that PJ/10C make sure these are made from a place (even in this evil China) where workers are treated correct and humane etc.

And I don't see the problem with speaking chinese, swedish or american-english in the future... as long as we have a free democratic planet - without opression, one-party systems or Bush/Mitt Romney/J. Edgar Hoover type characters (oh wait... that was USA and in modern time)
  • (And I'm not saying that China is the ideal country to get the merch from.)

But all this "they are an american rockband and their merch should only be made here and the have sold out making the merch in another country" bullshit...

Vedder wanting more jobs (and I'm guessing he talks about politicial actions here) in the USA and making a jacket in another country does not stand against eachother enought to warrant some "I'm leaving the 10C and how dare they have something to do with the evil communist China!"-threats.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    I'm with the op on this one. If you're gonna spout off shit from the stage to try and get a rise out of the crowd/preach make sure you're doing what you can to help the change. Sure it's 1000 jackets, but that's 1000 jackets that didn't have to be made in China.

Unfortunately this type of hypocrisy is becoming more and more common in the PJ camp.
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,719
    DewieCox wrote:
    I'm with the op on this one. If you're gonna spout off shit from the stage to try and get a rise out of the crowd/preach make sure you're doing what you can to help the change. Sure it's 1000 jackets, but that's 1000 jackets that didn't have to be made in China.

Unfortunately this type of hypocrisy is becoming more and more common in the PJ camp.

I bet EV doesnt even know that those jackets were made in China. Hell, I'd bet he doesnt even know those jackets exist :lol:.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,588
    edited September 2012
    DewieCox wrote:

I'm not a textile expert, but it could be very likely that the lumberjack shirt couldn't be made in the U.S. I've heard it's very hard for American clothing companies to have their stuff be made exclusively in the U.S. and I've only seen it with cotton t-shirts and some wool clothing. Certainly we can all picture the bitching if the lumberjack shirt was $170, but made in the U.S.

It's not the first thing sold by the band that was made in China, which is why I find all the comments about it interesting. I checked a couple shirts, one made in Honduras, and another in Indonesia, and my backpack is made in China.

Edit:backpack is made in Vietnam
    Post edited by Go Beavers on
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Go Beavers wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:

Certainly we can all picture the bitching if the lumberjack shirt was $170, but made in the U.S.

It's not the first thing sold by the band that was made in China, which is why I find all the comments about it interesting. I checked a couple shirts, one made in Honduras, and another in Indonesia, and my backpack is made in China.

Fair point, but I think the bitching would be justified if it was $170 even made in the states.

Then EV shouldn't be preaching from the stage about it.
    (And I'm not saying that China is the ideal country to get the merch from.)

But all this "they are an american rockband and their merch should only be made here and the have sold out making the merch in another country" bullshit...

Vedder wanting more jobs (and I'm guessing he talks about politicial actions here) in the USA and making a jacket in another country does not stand against eachother enought to warrant some "I'm leaving the 10C and how dare they have something to do with the evil communist China!"-threats.

The lead singer of our band does not practice what he preaches.

This stuff is on the most part a fast cash grab. If he truly cared about American jobs he would not purchase anything over seas.

EVERYTHING they buy should be American after the long long long lines of show rants about how jobs should stay.

Everything else is unimportant. No one needs a jacket this badly.

This is to quickly sell a cheaply made item for grossly over profit.

Regardless if all of them know, or none of them know they are even selling it... This is Pearl Jams CLUB>>>

The End of this argument.

Could care less about the jacket, shirts, posters whatever... DO NOT preach on thing and DO another....

STOP talking about jobs in AMERICA as you SELL CHINESE CRAP!
  • Tboz51 wrote:

This stuff is on the most part a fast cash grab. If he truly cared about American jobs he would not purchase anything over seas.

EVERYTHING they buy should be American after the long long long lines of show rants about how jobs should stay.

Regardless if all of them know, or none of them know they are even selling it... This is Pearl Jams CLUB>>>

Could care less about the jacket, shirts, posters whatever... DO NOT preach on thing and DO another....

d0a.jpg
    POP POP!
  • I thought it was a really cool way to get to the tag line "Made in America" --- so at that point i screamed YEAAAAAHHHHH!!!!! because i was at a rock and roll show - where its okay to be excited by every little thing and scream your lungs out and dance like a fool.

Do i really give a shit what is being said up there ---- no.
    Would it have been cooler if he would have said something about everyone leaving and having sex so we could have a bunch of Made in America babies Made in America! ....... yeah probably
    but then you would have been all over him for being shallow.

Poor ol Eddie --- he just can't win
  • Magnitude wrote:
    I know you're focusing on the jacket and maybe the zip-up at the show but it is worth pointing out that all of the t-shirts they sold at MIA ($30) are made in the US. However, you do have a greater point and I think the debate is worth having considering that Ed decides to use the stage as a soapbox for his views and ideals. If the zip-up at MIA was made in china and sold for $60, I'd rather it be made on an American Apparel zip-up and sold for $70. Also, American Apparel sweatshirts are great quality so I don't mind paying for something I consider a superior product.

Remember too that the posters were made in America so all things considered more merch sold at MIA was made in America than anywhere else which I think is worth praising.

My 2 cents.

POP POP!

That is a very good thing to note about the shirts. Thanks for the call out. I did not know all the shirts were MIA (see what I did there hahah) I only bought 2 of the same shirt 1 for myself and the other for the wife.

And I am glad you see my point. I can listen to Ed talk all day, but I also have the right to point out bullshit, I do it to everyone, so why stop here?
    Tour with fucking NOFX
  • (And I'm not saying that China is the ideal country to get the merch from.)

For the record I never said I was leaving the 10c nor did I call China evil..
    Tour with fucking NOFX
  • Magnitude wrote:
    Tboz51 wrote:

d0a.jpg

hahaha awesome
    Tour with fucking NOFX