13»

Comments

• Options
    cmaliszecmalisze Posts: 2,626
    A lil bump
  • Options
    PKTrekGirlPKTrekGirl Posts: 747
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I have no idea what PJ thinks about this kind of thing... I would like to think they care, but I haven't actually seen any evidence of that. They keep on releasing way way less vinyl than the market demands, which is what's causing the inflation, so they couldn't care that much.

Yeah...this kind of bothers me too. With vinyl and with all of the other limited edition goods. Maybe the band doesn't know about it - I hope not, because I can't imagine them supporting flippers who routinely rip off their fans.

I'm thinking all this too-limited edition stuff is the work of someone who doesn't know how to run a business very well. If 10c produced more copies of their vinyl, they would make the money (as it should be) instead of the flippers (most of whom aren't even fans, but just money grubbers) making all the money.

That is the sad thing about the current state of affairs. The band is losing potential income, and the fans are getting ripped off because if they want something, they have no choice but to pay double, or triple or whatever. The only group that is winning under the current model are the flippers. The LAST people that should have been given the upper hand when it comes to PJ merch.
  • Options
    mike-sizzlemike-sizzle Posts: 186
    Metallica did something to avoid that when they first released "Garage Days", pretty sure the packinging was "Garage Days: The $5.98 EP" so that's an idea. It's hard to jack up prices if the price is part of the artwork. Granted it could just be me being naive.
    Uniondale - Apr 30, 2003 Camden - Jul 06, 2003 Holmdel - Jul 14, 2003 Boston - Sep 28, 2004 Montreal - Sep 15, 2005 Philly - Oct 03, 2005 East Rutherford Jun 03, 2006 MSG - Jun 24-25 2008 Philly Oct 27-31, 2009 Newark - May 18, 2010 MSG - May 20-21, 2010
    Alpine Valley - Sept 3-4, 2011 Philly - Sept 2, 2012 Brooklyn - Oct 18-19, 2013 Philly - Oct 21-22, 2013 LA - Nov 23-24, 2013 New York -Sept 26, 2015 Fort Lauderdale - Apr 8, 2016 Miami - Apr 9, 2016 Philly - Apr 28-29, 2016 MSG - May 1-2, 2016 Fenway - Aug 5-7, 2016
    Brooklyn - Apr 7, 2017 Fenway - Sept 3-4, 2018 

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    Metallica did something to avoid that when they first released "Garage Days", pretty sure the packinging was "Garage Days: The $5.98 EP" so that's an idea. It's hard to jack up prices if the price is part of the artwork. Granted it could just be me being naive.
    I just looked it up on eBay. They're going for $20 - $100 now. :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,049
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I just looked it up on eBay. They're going for $20 - $100 now. :lol:
    The sticker said the $5.98 EP DO NOT PAY MORE!!! Well now that it is out of print that is more of a novelty :-)
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 
  • Options
    JK_Livin wrote:
    I thought 19.99 was high for my store. Was he going to charge you shipping by walking to the back and bringing it to the register?
    That is what I paid at my record store here in South Jersey. However, I did get Po, Brad, and Mike at regular price.
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,205
    JK_Livin wrote:
    I thought 19.99 was high for my store. Was he going to charge you shipping by walking to the back and bringing it to the register?
    That is what I paid at my record store here in South Jersey.

that's bullshit. not surprising, but still bullshit.

edit: let me make clear: it's not bullshit you paid that- your hand was essentially forced there- but ridiculous he charged that.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,432
    PKTrekGirl wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I have no idea what PJ thinks about this kind of thing... I would like to think they care, but I haven't actually seen any evidence of that. They keep on releasing way way less vinyl than the market demands, which is what's causing the inflation, so they couldn't care that much.

Yeah...this kind of bothers me too. With vinyl and with all of the other limited edition goods. Maybe the band doesn't know about it - I hope not, because I can't imagine them supporting flippers who routinely rip off their fans.

I'm thinking all this too-limited edition stuff is the work of someone who doesn't know how to run a business very well. If 10c produced more copies of their vinyl, they would make the money (as it should be) instead of the flippers (most of whom aren't even fans, but just money grubbers) making all the money.

That is the sad thing about the current state of affairs. The band is losing potential income, and the fans are getting ripped off because if they want something, they have no choice but to pay double, or triple or whatever. The only group that is winning under the current model are the flippers. The LAST people that should have been given the upper hand when it comes to PJ merch.

Perhaps the band is happy releasing limited edition items for the fun of it, without having to worry about maximizing prfoits. They have run a successful business for over 20 years, so they have the luxury of ignoring "textbook" business advice.
  • Options
    javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    We don't have RSD in Argentina, but for some reason unknown to me, there is only one store here in Buenos Aires, and the whole country for that matter, that joined RSD this year. I didn't pay much attention at first, since this record store only has music items released in Japan, they import this and their prices are astronimcaly high, so I never buy anything from them, I don't even look through their window. Last saturday I was engaged in my quest, and with all the EV single flipping stuff I gave them a call from a payphone in order to check if they have anything or if they will have anything. They told me to check during the week. I sent an email to them yesterday, asking about the EV single and any other RSD released. I got the answer today: they told me they don't have it, but they may get it, it will take 20 days to arrive in case I want to buy it. But I have to go there first, make a downpayment first, and the total amount would be... 150 US Dollars!!! shall I notify RSD management about this, or just go there and set that store on fire?
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    We don't have RSD in Argentina, but for some reason unknown to me, there is only one store here in Buenos Aires, and the whole country for that matter, that joined RSD this year. I didn't pay much attention at first, since this record store only has music items released in Japan, they import this and their prices are astronimcaly high, so I never buy anything from them, I don't even look through their window. Last saturday I was engaged in my quest, and with all the EV single flipping stuff I gave them a call from a payphone in order to check if they have anything or if they will have anything. They told me to check during the week. I sent an email to them yesterday, asking about the EV single and any other RSD released. I got the answer today: they told me they don't have it, but they may get it, it will take 20 days to arrive in case I want to buy it. But I have to go there first, make a downpayment first, and the total amount would be... 150 US Dollars!!! shall I notify RSD management about this, or just go there and set that store on fire?
    Here's hoping the place doesn't happen to burn down anytime soon.;)
    Yeah, doesn't hurt to let the RSD folks know.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    whgarrettwhgarrett Posts: 574
    I personally think RSD is lame. Everyday is record store day for me. The whole idea stinks. It's boring.
  • Options
    AndySlash wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:
    That is what I paid at my record store here in South Jersey.

that's bullshit. not surprising, but still bullshit.

edit: let me make clear: it's not bullshit you paid that- your hand was essentially forced there- but ridiculous he charged that.
    I know.
    I knew I was getting boned, but it was not going to make a scene. Hopefully karma kicks in.
  • Options
    PJ88PJ88 Birthplace of the Toll House Cookie Posts: 1,074
    whgarrett wrote:
    I personally think RSD is lame. Everyday is record store day for me. The whole idea stinks. It's boring.

I am going to have to agree with you. I used to like it and what it was meant to be about. Now it just seems to be a big money grab and people purchasing what they think/know will sell for ridiculous prices on the usual sites. Pretty sad.
  • Options
    starmap3333starmap3333 Posts: 3,908
    wasn't the list price 7.99?
    Ithaca, NY-11/6/91 SPAC, NY-8/4/92 Rochester, NY-4/7/94 Toronto-9/21/96 Buffalo, NY-10/1/96 Barrie, ONT-8/20/98 Pittsburgh, PA- 8/25/98 Jones Beach, NY-8/23/00 Jones Beach, NY-8/24/00 Jones Beach, NY-8/25/00 SPAC, NY-8/27/00 Buffalo, NY-5/2/03 MSG-7/8/03 MSG -7/9/03 Hamilton, ONT-9/13/05 Albany, NY-5/12/06 Cleveland, OH-5/20/06 Camden, NJ-5/27/06 East Ruth, NJ-6/3/06 Chicago, IL-8/5/07 Bonnaroo-6/14/08 MSG-6/24/08 MSG-7/25/08 Mansfield, MA-7/30/08 Chicago, IL-8/23/09 Philly, PA-10/30/09 Philly, PA-10/31/09 Buffalo, NY 5/10/10 MSG 1&2 5/20-21/10
  • Options
    starmap3333starmap3333 Posts: 3,908
    Ithaca, NY-11/6/91 SPAC, NY-8/4/92 Rochester, NY-4/7/94 Toronto-9/21/96 Buffalo, NY-10/1/96 Barrie, ONT-8/20/98 Pittsburgh, PA- 8/25/98 Jones Beach, NY-8/23/00 Jones Beach, NY-8/24/00 Jones Beach, NY-8/25/00 SPAC, NY-8/27/00 Buffalo, NY-5/2/03 MSG-7/8/03 MSG -7/9/03 Hamilton, ONT-9/13/05 Albany, NY-5/12/06 Cleveland, OH-5/20/06 Camden, NJ-5/27/06 East Ruth, NJ-6/3/06 Chicago, IL-8/5/07 Bonnaroo-6/14/08 MSG-6/24/08 MSG-7/25/08 Mansfield, MA-7/30/08 Chicago, IL-8/23/09 Philly, PA-10/30/09 Philly, PA-10/31/09 Buffalo, NY 5/10/10 MSG 1&2 5/20-21/10
  • Options
    javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136

either that or 8.99
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...