Options

Absolutely disgusted about EV RSD and a certain record store

cmaliszecmalisze Posts: 2,626
edited April 2012 in The Porch
So, yesterday my travels took me to Peoria, IL and I decided to stop in two different record stores in the area yesterday. As I walked in Younger than Yesterday in Peoria I was initially very impressed at the amount of records and organization of the store. As I got to talking to the owner about RSD I asked if he received any of the EV 45's he mentioned that he did get 5 of them. He said he put two out at the store opening and had a price tag of $34.99 on them. He then said he had 3 others in the back and that he was putting them on EBay for $50 a piece. He asked if I wanted to buy one. I told him no thanks and immediately walked away. Is this what RSD is for? So frustrating.....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I would've told him to keep the vinyl(which you did) and say , with that $50 you can find a new customer because this one won't be returning ever
  • Options
    jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181
    report him to record store day. he won't be allowed to participate in the future if what you said is true.
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • Options
    TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,359
    This absolutely destroys the spirit of RSD.... I hope they get dropped from the event.
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,891
    Its bad enough that customers are buying these to list them instantly on eBay, but the record shop owner!?!?! That's messed up.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,396
    Record Archive in Rochester NY does crappy things like that too.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    AAJCAAJC Calgary, AB, Canada Posts: 262
    I just want one of these to actually listen to! I don't care about collecting things and not using them. Someone help me out! LOL.

AC
  • Options
    cmalisze wrote:
    So, yesterday my travels took me to Peoria, IL and I decided to stop in two different record stores in the area yesterday. As I walked in Younger than Yesterday in Peoria I was initially very impressed at the amount of records and organization of the store. As I got to talking to the owner about RSD I asked if he received any of the EV 45's he mentioned that he did get 5 of them. He said he put two out at the store opening and had a price tag of $34.99 on them. He then said he had 3 others in the back and that he was putting them on EBay for $50 a piece. He asked if I wanted to buy one. I told him no thanks and immediately walked away. Is this what RSD is for? So frustrating.....

<!-- e --><a href="mailto:michael@recordstoreday.com">michael@recordstoreday.com</a><!-- e -->
    The only 3 stores in 30 miles of me got zero EV. Report him!
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Wow, that is seriously messed up. You should definitely report him.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Indi4enceIndi4ence Posts: 947
    this is horrible, you have to contact the RSD people
  • Options
    juddboz80juddboz80 Posts: 2,141
    I hear ya.....I bought 2 of em from him and thought the albums retailed for that price....I'm still pissed off at him.....I have my receipt and don't know what to do about this.....can I report this to anyone??? He also sold the phish box set for $250.....makes me sick.....ill never go back!!!!!
    Cant buy what i want cause its free....
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    I thought 19.99 was high for my store. Was he going to charge you shipping by walking to the back and bringing it to the register?
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Who do I report this too????? Help cause I wanna bust his balls!!!!
  • Options
    Given to...Given to... Wyoming Posts: 4,977
    juddboz80 wrote:
    I hear ya.....I bought 2 of em from him and thought the albums retailed for that price....I'm still pissed off at him.....I have my receipt and don't know what to do about this.....can I report this to anyone??? He also sold the phish box set for $250.....makes me sick.....ill never go back!!!!!

I would gladly pay you for one of them.

Really.
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • Options
    juddboz80 wrote:

<!-- e --><a href="mailto:michael@recordstoreday.com">michael@recordstoreday.com</a><!-- e -->

Please, report him. I sent an email to this Michael guy last Thursday with the link to the person on ebay who was selling the EV for $50 two days before RSD. He knew the store, said they were upset about it and were going to look into serious ways to stop this.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,629
    cmalisze wrote:
    What an asshole! Definitely contact RSD people so he doesn't get included from now on. He's an enemy of his own industry, let alone his customers.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    juddboz80 wrote:
    Who do I report this too????? Help cause I wanna bust his balls!!!!

• Options
    juddboz80 wrote:

I would gladly pay you for one of them.

Really.
    Sigh. And that is why everyone gets ripped off.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Leyna MinaiLeyna Minai Posts: 688
    $34.99?! :o
    That's definitely a :nono: on his part. I can't believe he admitted to your face that he's going to be selling the rest on ebay for more money.
    UGH. People are frustrating! :evil:
    7/15/2011 - Benoroya Hall - (Eddie Vedder Solo) - Seattle, WA
    4/2/2008 - The Center in Vancouver for Performing Arts (Eddie Vedder Solo) - Vancouver, WA
    9/21/2009 Key Arena - Seattle, WA
    7/22/2006 - Gorge Ampitheater - George, WA
    9/1/2005 - Gorge Ampitheater - George, WA
  • Options
    After seeing this post I called the owner of younger than yesterday where I got ripped off.....I told him how upset I was with him and how upset all his customers were on record store day....I asked why he jacked up prices and he told me because of eBay.....I asked him why that had anything to do with his prices and he says that's the going rate.....when I get home from work I will report him and I have a receipt to prove it......makes me so mad.....I thought that's what this album retailed for.....I will never give this man a dime of my money ever again!!!!! Its people like this who ruin good things in life....I hope he never participates in rsd ever again!!!!!
  • Options
    AAJCAAJC Calgary, AB, Canada Posts: 262
    Why the hell would a record with two songs be that much on RSD? I bought full length albums on RSD for half that price here in Calgary.

AC
  • Options
    iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,547
    We're talking 8 minutes of music here. ridiculous price for a new single
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    wow...that sucks. i'd report him as well.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    I dont blame a record store owner for trying to make a buck. Isnt that the purpose of record store day?
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Get_Right wrote:
    I dont blame a record store owner for trying to make a buck. Isnt that the purpose of record store day?
    I'm pretty sure the purpose of RSD isnt to jack up the price of desired records 3x that of the retail price set forth by the record companies. It's supposed to be about celebrating the enjoyment and pleasure of the niche media format and the places that still support its continued revival.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,547
    yeah, the purpose is to get people into their local record store to support new music at a price an average joe can still afford.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    yeah, the purpose is to get people into their local record store to support new music at a price an average joe can still afford.
    really? sure seems like every year is a mad dash to grab up the limited releases...which only end up on the bay anyway...why shouldnt the store owner capture that profit? a true fan of the medium, might say that RSD is ruining what made collecting vinyl truly great

just saying
  • Options
    PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,049
    Get_Right wrote:

I agree with you, but unfortunately there is no need to tell customers that is what you are doing. It would have been one thing to tell the guy sorry they sold out, but to say Yeah I have it, and its $35 thats a slap in the face. This seemed to happen with PJ20 a bit too.
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Get_Right wrote:
    :lol: No, the point of RSD is definitely not to allow store owners to jack up prices and rip off customers to make outrageous profits! :lol:
    That is actually counterproductive to what RSD is supposed to be about. This kind of activity repels potential customers rather than encouraging them to cozy up to and appreciate the format. And then, of course, it is actually the people willing to buy the things anyway that are the ultimate problem. So I wish you people willing to pay $50 for a 7" new release would give your heads a shake and think about what it's doing to the integrity of the industry too. Anyway, if this keeps up, I think they should just cancel RSD altogether.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    What's next, CSD....Concert Scalpers Day?
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    EvenstevenEvensteven Posts: 868
    Several at Criminal Records for $5.99. That's why they rock.
    "Mark it 20, Dude."