Options

Absolutely disgusted about EV RSD and a certain record store

Comments

• Options
    RedMosquito22RedMosquito22 Posts: 8,158
    cmalisze wrote:
    So, yesterday my travels took me to Peoria, IL and I decided to stop in two different record stores in the area yesterday. As I walked in Younger than Yesterday in Peoria I was initially very impressed at the amount of records and organization of the store. As I got to talking to the owner about RSD I asked if he received any of the EV 45's he mentioned that he did get 5 of them. He said he put two out at the store opening and had a price tag of $34.99 on them. He then said he had 3 others in the back and that he was putting them on EBay for $50 a piece. He asked if I wanted to buy one. I told him no thanks and immediately walked away. Is this what RSD is for? So frustrating.....

Email the people at RecordStoreDay.com and they will make sure this store no longer gets RSD records
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    What's next, CSD....Concert Scalpers Day?
    nah thats every day
  • Options
    perfectlefts14perfectlefts14 Posts: 1,970
    I hope this jerk off never gets to participate in another RSD!
    Tell the captain
    'This boats not safe
    And we're drowning.'
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,630
    edited April 2012
    Get_Right wrote:
    nah thats every day
    Yeah. :| I have a friend - great, really fun guy with tons of charisma - who started a ticket reselling business (all kinds of events), which is really flourishing, and he is living the life and kicking financial ass ... And I find it difficult to respect him now because what he does for a living is just so shitty and against what I consider really important principles. :( But obviously I keep it all to myself, and he continues on in ever-more-wealthy ignorant bliss. Blah.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    rolenrockrolenrock Posts: 312
    I think recordstoreday.com should post ALL retail prices of the records on the release list (with a reasonable range to account for smaller stores that need a higher margin).

I will be emailing in this suggestion. If you could all do the same, maybe we could be SMARTER consumers as well. We all should be able to trust our record store's... but there are some that are not ethical at all. This is even more aggravating to me than customers flipping RSD vinyl! WOW! It should at least make it into the hands of A consumer first.
    2009: Philly Night 2
    2010: MSG Night 1 and Night 2
    2011: Eddie Vedder Solo in Philly, PJ20 Alpine Valley Day 1 and Day 2.
    2012: Berlin Night 1(7/4)
    2013: Wrigley Field, Philly 1 and 2
  • Options
    rolenrock wrote:
    I think recordstoreday.com should post ALL retail prices of the records on the release list (with a reasonable range to account for smaller stores that need a higher margin).

I will be emailing in this suggestion. If you could all do the same, maybe we could be SMARTER consumers as well. We all should be able to trust our record store's... but there are some that are not ethical at all. This is even more aggravating to me than customers flipping RSD vinyl! WOW! It should at least make it into the hands of A consumer first.

All you have to do is report the store to the folks at recordstoreday.com The don't allow stores to do it by not sending them anything in the future.
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Get_Right wrote:
    nah thats every day
    Yeah. :| I have a friend - great, really fun guy with tons of charisma - who started a ticket reselling business (all kinds of events), which is really flourishing, and he is living the life and kicking financial ass ... And I find it difficult to respect him now because what he does for a living is just so shitty and against what I consider really important principles. :( But obviously I keep it all to myself, and he continues on in ever-more-wealthy ignorant bliss. Blah.
    Its just a job at the end of the day. Everyone needs to make a living. Dont hate the playa.....hate the game!
  • Options
    Yes.. but next year there will still be stores to do it and there will be customers who go into the store and think they are buying a record at retail.. when in fact it is price gauged up the butt hole. As a decent brand, recordstoreday needs to take hold and beat this kinda crap out BEFORE it happens.
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    Its just a job at the end of the day. Everyone needs to make a living. Dont hate the playa.....hate the game!

You sound like "stir the pot" Sawyer.... DOH!
  • Options
    rolenrock wrote:
    Yes.. but next year there will still be stores to do it and there will be customers who go into the store and think they are buying a record at retail.. when in fact it is price gauged up the butt hole. As a decent brand, recordstoreday needs to take hold and beat this kinda crap out BEFORE it happens.

No one can stop it before it happens. You just report them, put their store on their website and try to discourage other stores from doing it.
    Member 164xxx

More to Come....
  • Options
    rolenrock wrote:
    Get_Right wrote:

You sound like "stir the pot" Sawyer.... DOH!
    Nah I dont whine like sawyer and I try to be objective ;)
    and if they went to a paperless system the secondary market would take a serious hit
    tis all......back to the topic at hand......thread integrity!
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Get_Right wrote:
    nah thats every day
    I don't hate him - I said he's a great guy (otherwise) - but I don't respect what he does for a living at all, and when you can't respect what someone does as a living, you can't really respect them. It sucks. He does have "humble" beginnings... he simply borrowed some cash from his folks, bought 20 NHL tix, and sold them for triple once the game sold out. And he went from there. Hard to respect that! It's not like he was ripping people off by accident! I don't really agree with your 'don't hate the playa hate the game' theory anyway. While he's still a friend, he's where the problem starts. He IS the game. If he didn't scoop up tix and resell for way more, those tix would be bought by the consumer at face value. I think the professional ticket resellers are definitely deserving of some resentment! Just like these asshole record store owners are!

(note: he IS still a friend... I just do my best to not think about what he does usually, and I get along fine... kind of have to; he's my best friend's brother!).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,547
    Get_Right wrote:
    yeah, the purpose is to get people into their local record store to support new music at a price an average joe can still afford.
    really? sure seems like every year is a mad dash to grab up the limited releases...which only end up on the bay anyway...why shouldnt the store owner capture that profit? a true fan of the medium, might say that RSD is ruining what made collecting vinyl truly great

just saying

That is what has happened as a result of the releases being so limited. If they just made a crapload of them there wouldn't be an issue with jacking prices, but then if there were a ton released, people wouldn't worry so much about getting to the store on Record Day because they'd know they could get the records at any time.... Its all kind of a lose, lose situation
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Get_Right wrote:
    yeah, the purpose is to get people into their local record store to support new music at a price an average joe can still afford.
    really? sure seems like every year is a mad dash to grab up the limited releases...which only end up on the bay anyway...why shouldnt the store owner capture that profit? a true fan of the medium, might say that RSD is ruining what made collecting vinyl truly great

just saying

That is what has happened as a result of the releases being so limited. If they just made a crapload of them there wouldn't be an issue with jacking prices, but then if there were a ton released, people wouldn't worry so much about getting to the store on Record Day because they'd know they could get the records at any time.... Its all kind of a lose, lose situation
    Totally. Just press more records, and this problem would pretty much disappear. 1500 EV singles?? That's crazy. Of course it turns into price gouging. PJ is definitely part of this problem with their addiction to limited editions.
  • Options
    sgtppr67sgtppr67 Posts: 241
    cmalisze wrote:
    So, yesterday my travels took me to Peoria, IL and I decided to stop in two different record stores in the area yesterday. As I walked in Younger than Yesterday in Peoria I was initially very impressed at the amount of records and organization of the store. As I got to talking to the owner about RSD I asked if he received any of the EV 45's he mentioned that he did get 5 of them. He said he put two out at the store opening and had a price tag of $34.99 on them. He then said he had 3 others in the back and that he was putting them on EBay for $50 a piece. He asked if I wanted to buy one. I told him no thanks and immediately walked away. Is this what RSD is for? So frustrating.....

I just noticed this bullshit yesterday by looking at completed auctions for RSD stuff in my area(Bloomington). He has already flipped a bunch of other stuff from saturday
  • Options
    javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    cmalisze wrote:

did you tell RSD management about this?
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Options
    PjdreamerPjdreamer Posts: 318
    i had somewhat of the same experiencen on rsd. the first store i went to said he only had one and he wanted 20 dollars for it. i told him i knew he was jacking up the price,and that i did not think that rsd permited that. everything he had was higher in price then all of the record stores i went to that day. he didnt seem too concerned at all.
    Pjdreamer
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    he simply borrowed some cash from his folks, bought 20 NHL tix, and sold them for triple once the game sold out. And he went from there. Hard to respect that! It's not like he was ripping people off by accident! I don't really agree with your 'don't hate the playa hate the game' theory anyway. While he's still a friend, he's where the problem starts. He IS the game. If he didn't scoop up tix and resell for way more, those tix would be bought by the consumer at face value. I think the professional ticket resellers are definitely deserving of some resentment! Just like these asshole record store owners are!
    This is where you and I will have to agree to disagree....I have a lot of respect for people that start their own successful business from scratch...is not like he is selling kids into slavery..he is not the game...the game is reselling tickets which is legal in most states...he is just a player....

I guess I just dont impose moral standards on legal, free commerce-at least on reselling records and concert tickets anyway. I dont blame anyone for trying to make a buck when the opportunity presents.
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    PJ_Soul wrote:

I knew a guy that did the same thing...even opened up a lounge for his customers to hang out in before concerts/games/shows...said he'd hook me up with tickets at a great price. So when I needed tix to a show, I called him, his number was disconnected...and his lounge had closed...I guess he didn't do that great at being a 'ticket broker'.

Anyway, on Brad's FB page, they are pretty disgusted with the RSD flippers, and some suggested they press more singles, so they said they'd look into it. Some artists are aware of the flippers, so it's a sign.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    he simply borrowed some cash from his folks, bought 20 NHL tix, and sold them for triple once the game sold out. And he went from there. Hard to respect that! It's not like he was ripping people off by accident! I don't really agree with your 'don't hate the playa hate the game' theory anyway. While he's still a friend, he's where the problem starts. He IS the game. If he didn't scoop up tix and resell for way more, those tix would be bought by the consumer at face value. I think the professional ticket resellers are definitely deserving of some resentment! Just like these asshole record store owners are!
    This is where you and I will have to agree to disagree....I have a lot of respect for people that start their own successful business from scratch...is not like he is selling kids into slavery..he is not the game...the game is reselling tickets which is legal in most states...he is just a player....

I guess I just dont impose moral standards on legal, free commerce-at least on reselling records and concert tickets anyway. I dont blame anyone for trying to make a buck when the opportunity presents.
    Yes, we will definitely have to agree to disagree. There are a LOT of legal business practices that I consider basically pure evil. Just because it's legal and it earns money doesn't make it right or worthy of respect or moral or ethical. But I am aware that this is an unbreachable moral divide. Way too much space between these two lines of thought for any chance of agreement for sure!
    Just want to say thank goodness not everyone in the world will do anything for money, just as long as it's legal. If that were the case, I'd probably just kill myself.
  • Options
    DeadpoolDeadpool Posts: 155
    Here is the main argument of this post. NEVER buy anything from someone that acts like that. I can guarantee that if someone told me that they had a price tag of $34.99 for 2 tracks, I would never buy a single thing from that store ever again. $17.49 a song is stupid money for a song. On a side note I also hate when people post that vinyl reissues are a cash grab. Paying eBay prices for an original copy of a record of $100 or more is just dumb. A record store day example of this is Black Rebel Motorcycle Club's HOWL. Usually sells on Ebay for around $100 bucks. Got it on RSD for $24.99.
  • Options
    Deadpool wrote:
    Here is the main argument of this post. NEVER buy anything from someone that acts like that. I can guarantee that if someone told me that they had a price tag of $34.99 for 2 tracks, I would never buy a single thing from that store ever again. $17.49 a song is stupid money for a song. On a side note I also hate when people post that vinyl reissues are a cash grab. Paying eBay prices for an original copy of a record of $100 or more is just dumb. A record store day example of this is Black Rebel Motorcycle Club's HOWL. Usually sells on Ebay for around $100 bucks. Got it on RSD for $24.99.

People say reissues are cashgrabs?? Oh man, I LOVE reissues!! I just got my Ten reissues instead of paying $250 for first pressing, and I'm just DYING for when they reissue everything between Vitalolgy and Backspacer as well, so I can avoid paying $250+ for each of those as well! I got the reissues of Ten, Vs, and Vitalogy together for $36 including shipping. Reissues kick ass. I understand wanting first pressings - I bought Vitalogy and No Code originals from eBay and really cherish them... But I simply can't afford to buy every studio album's first pressing, especially since they're going up in price every month - soon enough they'll be unattainable. If they don't rerelease, I'll never own some of them.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,956
    The Ma & Pa record stores are looking to get a quick & easy buck. Of course they will save copies & put them in the back to sell later on for higher the cost. They gotta make more money. They know the product will be more down the road so it's good for their business.

Have you see the cost of the RSD singles? The Star Anna & Po & 4 Fathers sold here for only $5.99. Many stores sold them for way more. I bought a copy of Brad for $13.99 here @ Taz Records. Maybe cause it's a little expensive to ship to Canada, but did they have to charge every single so much more then what was selling in the USA?

Yes it's a must that we support our local record stores, but if they are charging the customer way more then the original cost of the product is that right? I've been to another local record store where I saw this one record change in price x3 a month in time. It's like many of them are checking eBay and getting their prices from there then putting the price on the vinyl that's displayed in the store.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    demetrios wrote:
    The Ma & Pa record stores are looking to get a quick & easy buck. Of course they will save copies & put them in the back to sell later on for higher the cost. They gotta make more money. They know the product will be more down the road so it's good for their business.

Have you see the cost of the RSD singles? The Star Anna & Po & 4 Fathers sold here for only $5.99. Many stores sold them for way more. I bought a copy of Brad for $13.99 here @ Taz Records. Maybe cause it's a little expensive to ship to Canada, but did they have to charge every single so much more then what was selling in the USA?

Yes it's a must that we support our local record stores, but if they are charging the customer way more then the original cost of the product is that right? I've been to another local record store where I saw this one record change in price x3 a month in time. It's like many of them are checking eBay and getting their prices from there then putting the price on the vinyl that's displayed in the store.
    It's just a slap in the face to every customer to do it on Record Store Day in particular. Money isn't everything. They should have more pride in what they do and at least control themselves with RSD items.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    CaptainBCaptainB Posts: 57
    i hate to hear this about a local shop, and not to condone this stuff..... but i'm sure its much more the rule than the exception, he just was honest (and naive to admit it) about it. its tough to make it out there for these shops, look at ear x-tacy in louisville, and that's in a much larger area.

on the other hand, its nice to see some pj love on the boards from some locals:)
  • Options
    cmaliszecmalisze Posts: 2,626
    I did send an email to Michael at RSD.....we shall see what occurs.
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    After reading all this... i just wanted to put in a plug for one of the best record stores in the country... Harvest Records in Asheville, NC... The guys that run this store are awesome... never price gouge anyone. bought the EV single from them for about 7 bucks.. a true class act... please stop in if you are ever in the area!!!!!

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    juddboz80juddboz80 Posts: 2,141
    i just reported him as well!!!!
    Cant buy what i want cause its free....
  • Options
    I think Eddie should have sold them on ebay himself and cut out the flippers. He could give the extra money to charity if he wanted. Honestly, did anyone really think that this kind of stuff wouldn't happen?
    When FASCISM Comes To America
    it will be wrapped in the FLAG and
    carrying a CROSS.
  • Options
    I think Eddie should have sold them on ebay himself and cut out the flippers. He could give the extra money to charity if he wanted. Honestly, did anyone really think that this kind of stuff wouldn't happen?
    I have no idea what PJ thinks about this kind of thing... I would like to think they care, but I haven't actually seen any evidence of that. They keep on releasing way way less vinyl than the market demands, which is what's causing the inflation, so they couldn't care that much.