Options

Axl Says "Thanks, But No Thanks" About HOF

Comments

• Options
    PKTrekGirl wrote:
    I would too. And I would NOT pay to see Axl and nuGnR. So that says something.

You would be cutting off your nose to spite your face. At least the shows they put on for the club show were incredible, and Slash was not missed.

Why do we (I exclude me in the we b/c I don't) care about the personal lives of people we don't know (even if we think we do)? Who give a spit if Axl's an ass (which I think if you read up on what's out there, you will see it's clear there's wrong on both sides)? I can understand if you were at a show they cancelled or cut short - fine - you've had a direct hit. But, to think that was Axl all on his lonesome and not his bandmates, then, I guess we'll just believe everything that's written.

He's not harming babies or starting wars in the Middle East. So, who gives a crap if the media paints him one way or the other? OR, if he actually is one way or another? I guess I'm a product of the sports steroid era - I don't give a crap if you fight with your guitarist or shorten your life. As long as I'm enjoying, destroy yourself. I bet most folks talking crap about Axl glorify Kurt who took the easy way out. Now, that's pathetic.

It's about the music. And your statement only lessens your potential enjoyment of life b/c this current line-up puts on a kick ass show.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    perfectlefts14perfectlefts14 Posts: 1,964
    The real reason Axl isn't going is because the HOF told him he couldn't change his outfit twenty times because there are schedules to keep.
    Tell the captain
    'This boats not safe
    And we're drowning.'
  • Options
    capthowdy1027capthowdy1027 Posts: 3,270
    PKTrekGirl wrote:
    I would too. And I would NOT pay to see Axl and nuGnR. So that says something.

You would be cutting off your nose to spite your face. At least the shows they put on for the club show were incredible, and Slash was not missed.

Why do we (I exclude me in the we b/c I don't) care about the personal lives of people we don't know (even if we think we do)? Who give a spit if Axl's an ass (which I think if you read up on what's out there, you will see it's clear there's wrong on both sides)? I can understand if you were at a show they cancelled or cut short - fine - you've had a direct hit. But, to think that was Axl all on his lonesome and not his bandmates, then, I guess we'll just believe everything that's written.

He's not harming babies or starting wars in the Middle East. So, who gives a crap if the media paints him one way or the other? OR, if he actually is one way or another? I guess I'm a product of the sports steroid era - I don't give a crap if you fight with your guitarist or shorten your life. As long as I'm enjoying, destroy yourself. I bet most folks talking crap about Axl glorify Kurt who took the easy way out. Now, that's pathetic.

It's about the music. And your statement only lessens your potential enjoyment of life b/c this current line-up puts on a kick ass show.

Great post. I never got the chance to see GNR back in the day but I saw the band a few months ago and loved every second of it. I thought Chinese Democracy was a fantastic album but obviously not many other people agree. I also think most people that talk shit about it didn't even listen to it or just couldn't keep an open mind going into it. I don't care that Slash ain't in the band anymore. Was he a good guitar player? Of course. Is there anything that he can do that DJ Ashba can't? Not really. And what has Slash done without Axl? His solo stuff sucked. He guest starred at the Super Bowl with the damn Black Eye Peas and had a ton of shitty guest singers on his last album. I personally didn't care for Velvet Revolver but I understand that some people did, so that's cool.

But I'm sorry, I miss the days of "rock stars". All these new bands are so damn tame and corporate that it just makes it boring. At least Axl keeps it interesting.
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
  • Options
    HoltzmnHoltzmn Posts: 87
    http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/168299 ... tter.jhtml

An Open Letter To Axl Rose And Guns N' Roses Fans Everywhere
    Our columnist comes out in support of the last remaining rock star after Axl's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame kiss-off.

By James Montgomery

To: W. Axl Rose, Guns N' Roses Fans and Whom It May Concern,

Greetings from New York City, which is approximately 490 miles from Cleveland, site of this weekend's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony and roughly 50 bazillion miles from whatever Bedouin caravan Mr. Rose is currently encamped with — though, to be honest, it feels much farther removed from both. Especially given the reaction most GN'R fans have had to Rose's open letter to the Hall of Fame, which he published Wednesday and which has subsequently turned him into the most hated man on the Internet.

Here's the thing (and, really, the reason I'm writing this letter): Despite the thousands of comments his letter has generated — which largely run the gamut from "YOU SUCK" to "Axl Rose is a freaking whiny-ass bitch" — I'm happy to be in the minority of people who seemingly have no problem with it whatsoever. In fact, I think it's pretty awesome.

Because I support Axl Rose. And yes, I am aware that, in the past, I have called him "the creepy old guy with the Raiders jersey who lives on top of the hill" and compared him to Lil Wayne. And sure, I realize his recent, uh, output might not be on par with Guns' previous efforts (anyone can have a bad 20 years). But after reading his letter, none of those things matter. Or, if anything, they actually made it better for me. Because Axl Rose is a rock star. Maybe the last one standing. He is an anachronism and an enigma. There will never be another like him, and really, his missive to the Rock Hall is just further proof of all those points.

To wit: There are a lot of words in Rose's letter (more than 1,000 of them), none of which are "apology." This is because Axl never apologizes. Because he doesn't have to, and he doesn't care if that offends you. He also never allows himself to be backed into a corner — and everything from his unrelenting blood feud with Slash to the 15-year wait for Chinese Democracy is basically proof of this — and he intimates at several points in his letter that everyone from the HOF committee to his former bandmates was basically attempting to do just that. So rather than be intimidated, Rose just decided to walk away from the whole thing. As he writes, "No one's taking the ball and going home. ... From my perspective ... the ball's never been in our court."

It's easy to call Rose a jerk for doing this, but, really, he is a jerk. It's what makes him who he is and why he's still able to sell out arenas around the world. We've come to expect nothing less, and yet we're willing to vilify him for acting the way he always has.

In some bizarre way, by skipping the induction (and asking his name not be mentioned in absentia), Rose displays a supreme level of actual integrity. Unlike, say, Ozzy Osbourne, who previously asked that his band Black Sabbath no longer be considered for the Hall only to show up at the 2006 induction and call it an "achievement," Axl won't come crawling back. And unlike fellow 2006 inductees Blondie, he spared anyone the ugly onstage feud that surely would've erupted by simply saying, "No thanks." He does what he wants and only what he wants. And the same goes for that much-discussed GN'R reunion, which he shuts down in the letter because, really, it's "time to move on."

And that last quote should be taken to heart by all the Guns fans out there raging against Rose today. Because, really, it is time to move on. Move on from your misguided beliefs that Rose is ever going to change or suddenly have a moment of clarity. It's been, like, 20 years now, and he's never wavered from his original point: No reunion, not ever. Guns N' Roses are still a band and they still tour, and if you don't like it, then don't come out to the shows. Even though you probably still will.

So, sure, be angry with Axl today. Make claims of never listening to his music again (which would suppose he's ever going to make music again) and accuse him of putting himself before his fans. But don't take him to task for being the same person he's been for 25 years now, because, really, you wouldn't want him to change. Not for a reunion tour, not for an induction ceremony, not for anything. He will continue to blaze his own path whether you follow him or not. And I applaud him for doing so. He is Axl Rose, after all. He is rock and roll in an era where that phrase has increasingly less clout. We want him on that wall. We need him on that wall. It's about the only way we can sleep at night, knowing somewhere, Axl is watching over us all. And writing open letters to let us know he still cares.

Sincerely,
    James Montgomery
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    Nice read...thanks for posting. As I mentioned earlier, I give him credit for standing up and being honest about the whole thing.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    Bronx BombersBronx Bombers Posts: 2,208
    Former Guns N’ Roses drummer Steven Adler is making all kinds of headlines leading up to the band’s induction into the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame next week.

Desperate to perform with a reunited GNR at the event, Alder went off last week during an interview with Loudwire about his frustration over the upcoming event, including a hefty slam against the band’s current lineup.

“He [Slash] wants to do it. I want to do it,” said Adler. “Just from what I hear, Izzy [Stradlin]‘s not gonna show up and Axl [Rose] will probably want to play with his hack band — his band of hacks. ‘Axl and His Hacks’ — it shouldn’t even be Guns N’ Roses. He’s just driving that name into the freakin’ ground. ‘Axl and His Hacks.’”

Adler had second thoughts about his comments, and offered an apology to those involved, which was accepted by Ron “Bumblefoot” Thal.

"Sometimes my emotions get the best of me when talking about my former band,” explained Adler. “It's hard to see your ex in bed with somebody else. We created one of the biggest-selling debut albums of all time and it's no secret that I want to finish what we started 25 years ago and play together at the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. The guys that Axl has put together are all great players. They're not hacks in the sense that they can't play, they're all incredible musicians. I just meant that they are not the original lineup. I would like to apologize to Axl, Bumblefoot, D.J., Tommy, Dizzy, Richard, Frank, and Chris for my statement."

Now, in another interview about the Rock Hall, Adler has decided to rephrase his choice of insults about the current GNR band members.

"I apologized to them,” Adler told Artisan News (See video below). “I said the wrong word. I meant to say 'scabs.' But, you see, 'scabs' are something that… Big factories, when the main workers would go on strike, the factory would get people off the street and they would call them scabs. I wouldn't say they can't play. I would just say more the main people are on strike, [and] this is what Axl's got going. Of course they're great players, or they wouldn't be playing with Axl.

http://www.hennemusic.com/2012/04/steve ... roses.html

Wouldn't doubt that adlers recent comments may have played a role in all of this.
  • Options
    Former Guns N’ Roses drummer Steven Adler is making all kinds of headlines leading up to the band’s induction into the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame next week.

Desperate to perform with a reunited GNR at the event, Alder went off last week during an interview with Loudwire about his frustration over the upcoming event, including a hefty slam against the band’s current lineup.

“He [Slash] wants to do it. I want to do it,” said Adler. “Just from what I hear, Izzy [Stradlin]‘s not gonna show up and Axl [Rose] will probably want to play with his hack band — his band of hacks. ‘Axl and His Hacks’ — it shouldn’t even be Guns N’ Roses. He’s just driving that name into the freakin’ ground. ‘Axl and His Hacks.’”

Adler had second thoughts about his comments, and offered an apology to those involved, which was accepted by Ron “Bumblefoot” Thal.

"Sometimes my emotions get the best of me when talking about my former band,” explained Adler. “It's hard to see your ex in bed with somebody else. We created one of the biggest-selling debut albums of all time and it's no secret that I want to finish what we started 25 years ago and play together at the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. The guys that Axl has put together are all great players. They're not hacks in the sense that they can't play, they're all incredible musicians. I just meant that they are not the original lineup. I would like to apologize to Axl, Bumblefoot, D.J., Tommy, Dizzy, Richard, Frank, and Chris for my statement."

Now, in another interview about the Rock Hall, Adler has decided to rephrase his choice of insults about the current GNR band members.

"I apologized to them,” Adler told Artisan News (See video below). “I said the wrong word. I meant to say 'scabs.' But, you see, 'scabs' are something that… Big factories, when the main workers would go on strike, the factory would get people off the street and they would call them scabs. I wouldn't say they can't play. I would just say more the main people are on strike, [and] this is what Axl's got going. Of course they're great players, or they wouldn't be playing with Axl.

http://www.hennemusic.com/2012/04/steve ... roses.html

Wouldn't doubt that adlers recent comments may have played a role in all of this.
    :lol: this is the side the anti-Axl folks are taking. You can have Adler and the others that are with him. Do you maybe get some insight into the problem? Izzy said he wasn't going BEFORE Axl. :lol: Of course these guys want to perform with Axl. :lol: $$$$$
  • Options
    Adler has always reminded me of Uncle whatshisname from Napoleon Dynamite. Living in the past. Complete loser that can't move on with life. He was on ONE FUCKING ALBUM. He got booted before UYI were even recorded. Who in their right mind would want to attach their wagon to his star? He's a train wreck.

And I have to say, as much of a dick as Axl's been in the past, I can't say a bad word about his letter. He seems to have his shit in order and he isn't afraid to serve it up.

Good for him.

Velvet Revolver should play in the GNR slot. That would be awesome.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    capthowdy1027capthowdy1027 Posts: 3,270
    Adler has always reminded me of Uncle whatshisname from Napoleon Dynamite. Living in the past. Complete loser that can't move on with life. He was on ONE FUCKING ALBUM. He got booted before UYI were even recorded. Who in their right mind would want to attach their wagon to his star? He's a train wreck.

And I have to say, as much of a dick as Axl's been in the past, I can't say a bad word about his letter. He seems to have his shit in order and he isn't afraid to serve it up.

Good for him.

I laughed my ass off last year when I seen QOTSA at a small club and there was a flyer in the bathroom saying that Adler's Appetite was coming soon. He's in a damn cover band that plays shit from the one album he was on. Like you said, move on.
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,687
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options

Good for him.

:lol: Well said. And as much as I agree with Axl, your suggestion for VR is a good one. Might as well. I'm sure in some quarters that will seem disrespectful, but Izzy and Axl aren't there, so why not? Slash should enjoy it however he sees fit at this point and the HoF should accommodate.
  • Options
    Axl is a dick and in real life I probably wouldn't like him, but as a singer and just the whole fuck you he's giving to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame I have to applaud him. For a band as raw and dangerous as GNR were, especially right out the gate, this should be expected. Even if he wasn't a dick I can understand why he wouldn't want to do a one off couple of songs at a corporate event only to open the floodgates more than they were already open about the original line up getting back together.

Until the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame puts Rush in, I am happy with anyone who says fuck you to them. Even if you aren't a fan, their contribution, influence, and longevity belongs ahead of many of the acts that are even being inducted this year. I'm not a big fan of Neil Young or the Stones, but I ackowledge their influence and know the HOF would be a joke without them in it. As it is now without Rush in.
  • Options
    Bronx BombersBronx Bombers Posts: 2,208
    There's more than a few big names that have chosen not to appear at their induction including Paul McCartney, Neil Young and Jerry Garcia.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... s-20120412
  • Options
    HoltzmnHoltzmn Posts: 87
    http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/reverb/2 ... _of_fa.php

Izzy asked me to do him a favor and sort of get this out for him. Izzy don't Tweet, etc.

Thanks.

Duff

Izzy's Statement:

I have waited up to this point to see what would become of the GNR induction into RRHOF. I would like to say THANK YOU and GRACIAS to RRHOF for the acknowledgement of our works over the years as a band. BIG THANKS to all my bandmates who helped get us to where we are today. And, of course, THANK YOU to all of the people on this planet (including, but not limited to, the entire universe and beyond, etc., etc., etc.) who have supported Guns N' Roses from day one. Adios, Amigos!

Izzy Stradlin

LONG LIVE ROCK N ROLL!
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    axl can do whatever the F he wants and unless u have walked a mile in his shoes then u got no say on nuttin

he's earned that respect imo
  • Options
    marcosmarcos Posts: 2,111
    rrivers wrote:

Interesting that he wants to come off as so cool and everyday guy as he promotes his trashy tabloid looking book, what a phony. He actually belongs in the HOF with all the other phony acts who are just interested in self promotion and glorification.

It's really so easy to hate on Axl and simply dismiss him as another megalomaniac a-hole I suppose. But but in fact Axl really seems like the only one that has moved on. Duff selling this book, Steven Adler on celebrity rehab, and Slash with that same stupid hair and hat selling himself to Black Eyed Peas, or whoever it was, for a lame Superbowl halftime set. None of that really seems "Rock n Roll" to me.
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,757
    marcos wrote:
    rrivers wrote:

But but in fact Axl really seems like the only one that has moved on.

Don't know about that. Some who has truly moved on shouldn't have trouble getting up on stage to play some songs for 8 minutes in celebration of their successes.

Axl used a divorce as an analogy in his letter. My divorced parents can still have dinner together during the holidays and can meet up during family celebrations and then carry on with their current lives afterwards....that's what moving looks like.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    Don't know about that. Some who has truly moved on shouldn't have trouble getting up on stage to play some songs for 8 minutes in celebration of their successes.

Axl used a divorce as an analogy in his letter. My divorced parents can still have dinner together during the holidays and can meet up during family celebrations and then carry on with their current lives afterwards....that's what moving looks like.

That's a good point but this was an extremely ugly divorce and there's still constant feuding going on. Axl is not the most reasonable person as we all have learned in the last 20 years. Although it has been more than 15 years since they disbanded maybe the wounds or whatever made them hate each other so much have not healed. But with Duff writing that tabloid style book and Slash constantly going on about how bad Axl was to work with keep adding fuel to the; and Axl has made some disparaging comments over the years as well.

And putting aside their differences for "the fans" for the Rock HOF would be disingenuous for a number of reasons. First there is still a lot that has obviously not been resolved and in reality the HOF have nothing to do with the fans anyway.

And yes it should be obvious that I hate the HOF because of it's of it's phoniness and am an Axl fan once again since he blew me away on the club tour. So maybe my judgements are somewhat bias though I do understand your reasoning for asking him to act like an adult.
  • Options
    marcos wrote:

That's a good point but this was an extremely ugly divorce and there's still constant feuding going on. Axl is not the most reasonable person as we all have learned in the last 20 years. Although it has been more than 15 years since they disbanded maybe the wounds or whatever made them hate each other so much have not healed. But with Duff writing that tabloid style book and Slash constantly going on about how bad Axl was to work with keep adding fuel to the; and Axl has made some disparaging comments over the years as well.

And putting aside their differences for "the fans" for the Rock HOF would be disingenuous for a number of reasons. First there is still a lot that has obviously not been resolved and in reality the HOF have nothing to do with the fans anyway.

And yes it should be obvious that I hate the HOF because of it's of it's phoniness and am an Axl fan once again since he blew me away on the club tour. So maybe my judgements are somewhat bias though I do understand your reasoning for asking him to act like an adult.

I agree. But if his case is as you say, he shouldn't present himself in his letter as though he's taking the high road and is in a healthy place with the band. He should just be more transparent and say that he still doesn't get along with others in the band. That could condense his letter quite a bit.

Another thing with the letter is that he presented it as though if he showed up to the HOF then that meant that the old Guns n Roses would have to get together permanently and do a full blown tour. That made his case completely irrational.
  • Options
    marcos wrote:
    rrivers wrote:

But but in fact Axl really seems like the only one that has moved on.

Yeah, but your parents aren't being asked to go on stage and have sex with each other while their current companions sit in the worldwide audience that they were forced to buy tickets to get into. And then get on with their normal lives afterward.
  • Options
    pjamaholicpjamaholic Posts: 1,225
    Nothing happened between them except Axl is a control freak/egomaniac, and he was tired of being treated as an employee by Axl. Also Slash wrote songs for Guns that Axl rejected. Those songs went on Slash's 1st solo record in 1995, before he left Guns. Then Axl was pissed that he used them elswhere. So there is no pleasing Axl.

The guy's a dickhead, simple as that. I cant stand him! The band would do better to find a decent lead singer and tour without him. Someone who's actually got a good voice, cos Axl hasn't.
  • Options
    marcos wrote:
    rrivers wrote:

Interesting that he wants to come off as so cool and everyday guy as he promotes his trashy tabloid looking book, what a phony. He actually belongs in the HOF with all the other phony acts who are just interested in self promotion and glorification.

It's really so easy to hate on Axl and simply dismiss him as another megalomaniac a-hole I suppose. But but in fact Axl really seems like the only one that has moved on. Duff selling this book, Steven Adler on celebrity rehab, and Slash with that same stupid hair and hat selling himself to Black Eyed Peas, or whoever it was, for a lame Superbowl halftime set. None of that really seems "Rock n Roll" to me.

How can Axl be the one who moved on when he's still playing under the name "Guns N Roses"?
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Yeah, but your parents aren't being asked to go on stage and have sex with each other while their current companions sit in the worldwide audience that they were forced to buy tickets to get into. And then get on with their normal lives afterward.

If the other band members have a problem with it they should have their own HoF worthy career.

I think you're analogy takes it alot further than playing a few songs in recognition of the honor.
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    marcos wrote:
    rrivers wrote:

How can Axl be the one who moved on when he's still playing under the name "Guns N Roses"?

Axl legally bought them out and they're the ones still complaining about how bad he is/was to work with. Especially Duff selling himself with tabloid style book. I usually like Duff but that book makes him look real cheap. He is not the every guy dude that he tries to portray right now. I get that it's the only time people really pay attention to Duff, Slash, or Adler so perhaps after this weekend they will move on and stop selling themselves based on a over 20 year old brand.
  • Options
    Again, Axl is touring as Guns N Roses, so, again, how are the other guys "selling themselves based on a over 20 year old brand" and Axl isn't?
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    Is this airing on TV somewhere? I want to see the live performances! Drama aside :D
  • Options
    Suziemay wrote:
    Is this airing on TV somewhere? I want to see the live performances! Drama aside :D

Same here :)
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    Suziemay wrote:

Same here :)

:( I don't think there is. Found this here: http://rockhall.com/event/2012-induction-simulcast/

See the 2012 Induction Ceremony on HBO on May 5.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum will host a live broadcast of the 27th Annual Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony at the Museum. Other than at Public Hall, the simulcast will be the only place to watch the Induction Ceremony live on the night of the event.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum will simulcast the 3+ hour ceremony, including the performances and presentations. The broadcast will be on a giant 12-foot screen on the Museum’s Main Stage and several large screens throughout the Museum’s theaters. All exhibits will be open to tour during the event, including the Museum’s newest exhibits, the Grateful Dead: The Long, Strange Trip and the 2012 Hall of Fame Inductees exhibit.
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:

If the other band members have a problem with it they should have their own HoF worthy career.

I think you're analogy takes it alot further than playing a few songs in recognition of the honor.

It is? What else could the guys do on stage together? Is there further they could go? :corn:
  • Options

You're right, but this has nothing to do with Axl and his current situation.