Options

Axl Says "Thanks, But No Thanks" About HOF

PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
edited April 2012 in Other Music
Not only is he not going...he doesn't want to be inducted as a member of GNR.

Story here

PBM
"We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Stardog3..Stardog3.. Posts: 1,527
    When it comes down to it, at the end of his days, I wonder if he looks back and thinks he made the right decision.

I'm not saying he's right or wrong. I just wonder if this is something he will regret down the road.
  • Options
    PKTrekGirlPKTrekGirl Posts: 747
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tpl4J56a ... re=related

Axl WHO???

I think Slash should just turn up with the rest of the old lineup and Myles Kennedy in tow and blow the roof off that mofo.

Screw Axl. I hate drama queens. Even when they are men.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,315
    PKTrekGirl wrote:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tpl4J56a_H4&feature=related

Axl WHO???

I think Slash should just turn up with the rest of the old lineup and Myles Kennedy in tow and blow the roof off that mofo.

Screw Axl. I hate drama queens. Even when they are men.

Agree talk about an egotistical idiot ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    I just read through his entire letter. Honestly, regardless of my feelings about a reunion, it seems sincere and honest.

Whatever problems he thinks exist...he believes he is correct.

As goofy as Axl has been over the years, I give him credit for taking a stand and explaining his point of view.

Again, not that I fully agree with it, but I can respect it.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    Of course he isn't interested, hell isn't yet frozen over.
  • Options
    I just hope the rest of the guys will play. 1 song with Steven and 1 song with Matt and yes bring Myles Kennedy, and Izzy because he hasn't said yes yet.
    Let's see those 2013 dates in the southern states.
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    What happened between Axl and Slash? Such a shame Axl feels this was but I don't know enough about the situation to judge Axl for his actions.
  • Options
    I'm really hoping that Slash, Duff, Izzy, Steven, an maybe even Matt say, FUCK YOU AXL ROSE, and go on a 70 date tour with Myles Kennedy, and play the shit out of Appetite, Lies and Illusion 1 and 2 for all the fans.
  • Options
    Nothing happened between them except Axl is a control freak/egomaniac, and he was tired of being treated as an employee by Axl. Also Slash wrote songs for Guns that Axl rejected. Those songs went on Slash's 1st solo record in 1995, before he left Guns. Then Axl was pissed that he used them elswhere. So there is no pleasing Axl.
  • Options
    I'm with Trek Girl. Bring in Myles Kennedy. It was so great to see Slash open for Ozzy last year and play some of those songs. Those are the songs of my youth and they bring back such great memories It really made me feel great and energized for a few weeks after the show.
  • Options
    I'm with Trek Girl. Bring in Myles Kennedy. It was so great to see Slash open for Ozzy last year and play some of those songs. Those are the songs of my youth and they bring back such great memories It really made me feel great and energized for a few weeks after the show.
    I'd definitely pay to see these shows.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    Fuck Myles Kennedy!!!! He doesn't begin to approach the greatness of Axl, and he blows at singing GnR material. He's got a huge set of pipes, no doubt, but he can't do what Axl does.

Yeah, he's an arrogant bitch but Axl has a one of a kind voice and is fantastic front man.

It sounds like he's doing it to squash an future reunion rumors and I can't really blame him for that.
  • Options
    EBowieEBowie Posts: 529
    It's shit like this that reminds me of why I am sooooo grateful to have Pearl Jam as "my band".
  • Options
    PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    EBowie wrote:
    It's shit like this that reminds me of why I am sooooo grateful to have Pearl Jam as "my band".
    I agree! :thumbup:

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • Options
    I'm really hoping that Slash, Duff, Izzy, Steven, an maybe even Matt say, FUCK YOU AXL ROSE, and go on a 70 date tour with Myles Kennedy, and play the shit out of Appetite, Lies and Illusion 1 and 2 for all the fans.

You did notice that G 'n R Greatest Hits was back in the top 10 during/following the club tour? Has any of those guys (as much as I like them all, too) done that with ANY of their albums?

Interpret that how you will - popular doesn't matter, it's a greatest hits, it's new fans (which would be an ironic rationalization). But, it MEANS something.

Myles Kennedy is not doing that. Sorry. Yes, Axl can seem a bit much at times. But, if you read what he wrote, it's actually well thought out, and you can see what he can't come right out and say, but is getting at. The fact is DJ Ashba is every bit the guitarist Slash is (yes, I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the original line-up), and he's more accomplished in other areas (producing, etc.).

There's a clear disagreement between the group (and if Steven Adler, of all people involved, is on YOUR side, you're not starting off with a good team). And with such things, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. However, musically, nothing Slash has done since touches what he did with G 'n R, and his current versions while good, are missing 1 important ingredient - Axl. So, ultimately, Axl holds the cards.

So, the opinions of Axl may be proper. I for one would prefer to see G 'n R as it is currently constituted with Axl, then your "dream" line up with a pretender up front. That's like wanting Page to play with Coverdale and being happy about it.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    bennett13bennett13 Posts: 439
    Axl calling his current lineup "Guns N' Roses" is like Paul McCartney referring to Wings as "The Beatles"
  • Options
    EBowie wrote:
    I agree! :thumbup:

True, but I have no idea what that has to do with anything. It certainly makes me appreciate PJ20 more, and how they handle their 2ndary bands. But, mainly because it highlights how many more bands are disfunctional like G 'n R than work like PJ (I'm sure you catch how much Eddie gushes over Matt - it's b/c the guy saved the band - as he himself has said. There was something more going on, or we'd be talking about them the same way. Of course, the maturity of the guys to "get over it" speaks volumes, but still. There but by the grace of whoever go they.... Except, PJ would be a footnote of broken bands that we wish were still together. Axl takes so much crap b/c he's considered one of the greatest front men of all time - sorry, Eddie)

However, it doesn't make me grateful.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413

You did notice that G 'n R Greatest Hits was back in the top 10 during/following the club tour? Has any of those guys (as much as I like them all, too) done that with ANY of their albums?

Interpret that how you will - popular doesn't matter, it's a greatest hits, it's new fans (which would be an ironic rationalization). But, it MEANS something.

Myles Kennedy is not doing that. Sorry. Yes, Axl can seem a bit much at times. But, if you read what he wrote, it's actually well thought out, and you can see what he can't come right out and say, but is getting at. The fact is DJ Ashba is every bit the guitarist Slash is (yes, I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the original line-up), and he's more accomplished in other areas (producing, etc.).

There's a clear disagreement between the group (and if Steven Adler, of all people involved, is on YOUR side, you're not starting off with a good team). And with such things, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. However, musically, nothing Slash has done since touches what he did with G 'n R, and his current versions while good, are missing 1 important ingredient - Axl. So, ultimately, Axl holds the cards.

So, the opinions of Axl may be proper. I for one would prefer to see G 'n R as it is currently constituted with Axl, then your "dream" line up with a pretender up front. That's like wanting Page to play with Coverdale and being happy about it.

Great post!!

Axl is a key ingredient as are the other guys...Izzy, Duff, and Adler. Slash is great but he's always needed other people to take his work from bare bones hard blues rock to something a little more. If what ended up as Snakepit material is truly indicative of what Slash was bringing to the table in the latter days of GnR I can't really blame Axl for not being into it. It was a huge step back for them. They were never gonna be this hugely progressive band, but there's something missing in the arrangements of alot of Slash's work away from GnR.

Chinese Democracy sounds alot closer in several to real GnR than the majority of the stuff Slash has done.

I don't wanna come off as some big Axl fan. I dig Slash's playing and he seems like a cool dude, and we all know Axl has done a gob of dumb shit. I'd say I'm even more excited about Slash's future output than anything the new lineup has to offer. I'm just trying to step outside all the image bullshit that these guys put in the press and give it a fair shake.
  • Options
    bennett13 wrote:
    Axl calling his current lineup "Guns N' Roses" is like Paul McCartney referring to Wings as "The Beatles"

No it's not. Paul didn't own the name. Axl does. So, Paul would have been working for John, George and Ringo if he did that. Plus, if you listen to Chinese Democracy, you would have no idea the others weren't involved. It's a natural evolution of their sound.

If you listen to Wings, you'd know someone else was on keyboards. :lol:
  • Options
    One last thing -

If PJ is elected in a few years, and the RRHOF said - nope - only Dave A. can come. Not Matt, Not Boom. They'll get first dibs at BUYING a ticket to the show, but no go on the acceptance -

WWED? What would Ed do?
  • Options
    CallawayCallaway Posts: 635
    I heard the real reason he isn't going is because he heard that Tommy Hilfiger was going to be there and he doesn't want to get his ass kicked yet again by him. His friends told him to just go but don't be a douche and Hilfiger wouldn't beat him down.......but he knows it's impossible for him to not be a douche so he isn't risking getting beat down again by an old man fashion designer.
  • Options
    Callaway wrote:
    I heard the real reason he isn't going is because he heard that Tommy Hilfiger was going to be there and he doesn't want to get his ass kicked yet again by him. His friends told him to just go but don't be a douche and Hilfiger wouldn't beat him down.......but he knows it's impossible for him to not be a douche so he isn't risking getting beat down again by an old man fashion designer.

:lol: When you've run out of good arguments, here comes the classic - I know you are but what am I?

How many threads have you put this in now? Ok. We get it. There's an overblown story of Tommy H hitting Axl.

Your avatar is awesome, by the way. Goes with your "discussion point."
  • Options
    CallawayCallaway Posts: 635
    Callaway wrote:

:lol: When you've run out of good arguments, here comes the classic - I know you are but what am I?

How many threads have you put this in now? Ok. We get it. There's an overblown story of Tommy H hitting Axl.

:lol:
    I will probably put it in every thread about Guns N Roses when I'm in the mood to post anyway. I didn't beat him up, it was a 60 year old clothing mogul who did it so don't be mad at me.

Is the guy who wears the Kentucky Fried Chicken bucket on his head going to be there too? :lol: What a sorry excuse for a band these dolts were.
  • Options
    Callaway wrote:
    Callaway wrote:

:lol:
    I will probably put it in every thread about Guns N Roses when I'm in the mood to post anyway. I didn't beat him up it was a 60 year old clothing mogul who did it so don't be mad at me. Is the guy who wears the Kentucky Fried Chicken bucket on his head going to be there too? :lol: What a sorry excuse for a band these dolts were.

Wow! Callaway you are something else. Guns N Roses are/were a great rock band and helped usher in bands like Pearl Jam & Nirvana by destroying the hair metal scene. You can bad mouth Guns all you want but as Kurt Cobain once said "Pearl Jam has a lot more in common with guns N roses than the Melvins". If you cant hear that than you are deaf. Ten is the '90's version of Appetite in my opinion.
  • Options
    mulva9mulva9 Posts: 417

Not disagreeing with the rest of your post. But the greatest hits wasn't in the top 10 because of the club tour. Amazon was selling it for 25 cents.
  • Options
    mulva9 wrote:

Not disagreeing with the rest of your post. But the greatest hits wasn't in the top 10 because of the club tour. Amazon was selling it for 25 cents.

So, if they sold Slash's Snakepit for 10 cents it would shoot to the top 10? Not trying to put him down, but I'm guessing most folks wouldn't even know it existed.

EDIT: But truthfully, I did not know that to be the case. I'm only laying this out if it was.
  • Options
    HoltzmnHoltzmn Posts: 87
    I just hope the rest of the guys will play. 1 song with Steven and 1 song with Matt and yes bring Myles Kennedy, and Izzy because he hasn't said yes yet.

Izzy told Duff/Slash over a week ago that he wasn't going.
  • Options
    BamaPJFanBamaPJFan Posts: 410
    I'm a big fan of each GNR. I have no problem whatsoever with Axl's statement. First and foremost, the Rock Hall is a sham. Everyone knows that. They induct non-rock bands and ignore some of the greatest, most influential bands of all time. Eventually, they'll induct Nirvana, while ignoring superior bands Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains. Just wait, it's going to happen.

Furthermore, Axl was not going to allow a bunch of hacks at the Hall try and dictate when (and if) the original GNR lineup would get back together. Screw the Hall. Long live dysfunctional rock stars!!!!!!!
    United Center (Chicago): 8/24/09
    Gibson Amphitheatre (Los Angeles): 10/7/09

• Options
    PKTrekGirlPKTrekGirl Posts: 747
    I'd definitely pay to see these shows.

I would too. And I would NOT pay to see Axl and nuGnR. So that says something.

Of course the impression is gonna be that Axl sings the old GnR songs 'better' than Myles - he sang them originally, and many of the lyrics were his. And anyone else singing them sounds sort of cover-ish, even if they are singing with Slash.

However, IMO, Myles Kennedy has the better voice...and I'll but Starlight up against pretty much any GnR song (certainly any recent GnR song - no contest!!) and give Myles the nod on sound. Myles Kennedy is a great singer with an incredible range. Just listen to Summergirl from his Mayfield Four days - we are talking Chris Cornell range here.

Plus, and this is a HUGE plus - he's not a Massive Fucking Douchebag. I don't care what kind of talent Axl has - he's an asshole of epic proportions. A guy who is so All About ME that he can't see anything except in terms of how it effects HIM. And every time he doesn't get his way or what he believes to be the appropriate amount of worship and adoration from everyone around him, he pouts like a toddler and pitches hissy fits. And frankly, I'm over it.

I hope Slash rounds up the rest of the original GnR, grabs Myles Kennedy, and rocks the house at the HoF. Since Axl wants to act like a child, he can sit at home and watch it on TV. Because frankly, this was was last straw for me and Axl Rose. I'm done with him. Axl needs to save his drama for his mama more than anyone in the fucking universe.
  • Options
    I'll admit that I've paid twice to see Axl's current GnR and had a great time. I'll also admit I've only seen one YouTube video of Myles singing, so I can't accurately judge. My belief however is that if Axl feels the musicians are replaceable, why can't the musicians find their singer replaceable? I saw Velvet Revolver do some GnR and it sounded awesome. Different, yes, but it was still great. I would love to see a full set of the former band play the music that made them big.