Auto-Save Draft feature temporarily disabled. Please be sure you manually save your post by selecting "Save Draft" if you have that need.

***Ben Harper Appreciation Thread***

24

Comments

  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,173
    afroannnie wrote:
    conman wrote:
    i like what i've heard from him but i never got into him extensively.. what album would you suggest i start with?

    I'd recommend starting with this..
    10585.jpg
    listening to this album today. Great stuff
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

    1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,173
    Brisk. wrote:
    I love this song - great live version
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

    1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,173
    Better Way (Live Eurockéennes 2008):

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0HsHXPj ... re=related
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

    1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,364
    LukinFan wrote:
    Better Way (Live Eurockéennes 2008):

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0HsHXPj ... re=related

    Which you prefer? The swift beated version or the version like you just posted?

    I first heard the song live like you posted and think I prefer it rather to the the heavier version.

    EDIT this is actually a 3rd kinda version you just posted.
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,173
    Brisk. wrote:
    LukinFan wrote:
    Better Way (Live Eurockéennes 2008):

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0HsHXPj ... re=related

    Which you prefer? The swift beated version or the version like you just posted?

    I first heard the song live like you posted and think I prefer it rather to the the heavier version.

    EDIT this is actually a 3rd kinda version you just posted.
    Yeah, I agree with you - I'm digging this version probably the most.
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

    1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    afroannnie wrote:
    conman wrote:
    i like what i've heard from him but i never got into him extensively.. what album would you suggest i start with?

    I'd recommend starting with this..
    10585.jpg
    listening to this now.. me likey
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,364
    LukinFan wrote:
    Brisk. wrote:
    LukinFan wrote:
    Better Way (Live Eurockéennes 2008):

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0HsHXPj ... re=related

    Which you prefer? The swift beated version or the version like you just posted?

    I first heard the song live like you posted and think I prefer it rather to the the heavier version.

    EDIT this is actually a 3rd kinda version you just posted.
    Yeah, I agree with you - I'm digging this version probably the most.

    Ah yes that version is with Criminals, the Relentless 7 version is the better one:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHhWgdrrYMI
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,173
    Brisk. wrote:

    Ah yes that version is with Criminals, the Relentless 7 version is the better one:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHhWgdrrYMI
    NICE!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

    1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
  • afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    Brisk. wrote:
    afroannnie wrote:
    The last time I saw him, he covered Uncle Neil :mrgreen:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vFP62ldhB4

    HE NAILS THIS!!

    FULL BAND - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEH5GboaG0I

    :clap::clap: wow.
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    conman wrote:
    afroannnie wrote:
    conman wrote:
    i like what i've heard from him but i never got into him extensively.. what album would you suggest i start with?

    I'd recommend starting with this..
    10585.jpg
    listening to this now.. me likey

    Awesome! You'll have to try to see him live sometime when you can...i know i've said it before, but his shows are really amazing! :D:D
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    ok, so i'm loving the live from mars album... what next? :geek:
  • afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    conman wrote:
    ok, so i'm loving the live from mars album... what next? :geek:

    I like his earlier stuff..like Fight for your Mind & Welcome to the Cruel World, but there's a good mix from both of those albums on Live from Mars, so I would recommend this if you want more of the "get down/funk" stuff...

    3678482_1317446216.jpg


    or this if you want more "straight rock, guitar driven stuff"...i love them both...just depends on your mood...

    benharper_2050_10408494.jpg
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • hello gremmies. we like ben too. stay tuned for a big announcement from gremmie.net. there's diamonds on the inside....
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero GalaxyPosts: 17,892
    afroannnie wrote:
    conman wrote:
    ok, so i'm loving the live from mars album... what next? :geek:

    I like his earlier stuff..like Fight for your Mind & Welcome to the Cruel World, but there's a good mix from both of those albums on Live from Mars, so I would recommend this if you want more of the "get down/funk" stuff...

    3678482_1317446216.jpg


    or this if you want more "straight rock, guitar driven stuff"...i love them both...just depends on your mood...

    benharper_2050_10408494.jpg


    I agree when I asked about BH a long time ago *Diamonds On The Inside was one of the first suggestions.

    Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

    *MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

    *The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)


  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,173
    BHBSOTG.jpg
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

    1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero GalaxyPosts: 17,892
    LukinFan wrote:
    BHBSOTG.jpg

    Met him on the tour of that album...not too many artists release double albums anymore.

    peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

    *MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

    *The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)


  • afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    i'm revisiting this...it's been a little while since I've watched it..

    18224773;encoding=jpg;size=300;fallback=defaultImage
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    I really like the relentless 7, but i miss seeing him with the innocent criminals...especially leon...

    love him at the end of this... :mrgreen:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEe9P1QXTwU
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,173
    g under p wrote:
    LukinFan wrote:
    BHBSOTG.jpg

    Met him on the tour of that album...not too many artists release double albums anymore.

    peace
    It's such a great album too. I've been listening to a lot recently. It seems like it has everything - fast songs, slow songs, electric, acoustic - just a killer Ben Harper album (I could be wrong, but itsn't the first CD mainly Ben solo stuff and the 2nd mostly R7 stuff?)
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

    1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero GalaxyPosts: 17,892
    LukinFan wrote:
    g under p wrote:
    LukinFan wrote:
    BHBSOTG.jpg

    Met him on the tour of that album...not too many artists release double albums anymore.

    peace
    It's such a great album too. I've been listening to a lot recently. It seems like it has everything - fast songs, slow songs, electric, acoustic - just a killer Ben Harper album (I could be wrong, but itsn't the first CD mainly Ben solo stuff and the 2nd mostly R7 stuff?)

    I'm not sure because when I saw and met BH backstage he was touring with the Innocent Criminals at that Langerado Festival In South Florida. A big thank you to Michael Franti who allowed me to meet him. After the show though it was a nightmare to leave that show some 3 hours we were stuck there.

    Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

    *MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

    *The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)


  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,173
    g under p wrote:
    I'm not sure because when I saw and met BH backstage he was touring with the Innocent Criminals at that Langerado Festival In South Florida. A big thank you to Michael Franti who allowed me to meet him. After the show though it was a nightmare to leave that show some 3 hours we were stuck there.

    Peace
    That story sounds familiar. So freakin cool.

    According to wiki, I'm completely wrong:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Both_Sides_of_the_Gun

    The album saw Harper playing the majority of the instruments on both discs; an approach that he had rarely used on his previous albums. However, the Innocent Criminals would appear on a few tracks whilst his later band, Relentless7, would appear together for the first time on "Serve Your Soul", the last track on the second disc.

    And on a related note, I'm glad I went to the wiki page. I didn't know there was a 3rd bonus disc:

    Disc 3 (Special Edition package only)

    The album was also released as a Limited Special Edition box set including a Bonus CD featuring four alternate mixes and two live tracks.

    Gather ‘Round The Stone (Alternate Version Mix)
    Reason To Mourn (Alternate Mix)
    Get It Like You Like It (Live, Acoustic)
    Waiting For You (Alternate Mix)
    Morning Yearning (Alternate Mix)
    Beloved One (Live)
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

    1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero GalaxyPosts: 17,892
    LukinFan wrote:
    g under p wrote:
    I'm not sure because when I saw and met BH backstage he was touring with the Innocent Criminals at that Langerado Festival In South Florida. A big thank you to Michael Franti who allowed me to meet him. After the show though it was a nightmare to leave that show some 3 hours we were stuck there.

    Peace
    That story sounds familiar. So freakin cool.

    According to wiki, I'm completely wrong:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Both_Sides_of_the_Gun

    The album saw Harper playing the majority of the instruments on both discs; an approach that he had rarely used on his previous albums. However, the Innocent Criminals would appear on a few tracks whilst his later band, Relentless7, would appear together for the first time on "Serve Your Soul", the last track on the second disc.

    And on a related note, I'm glad I went to the wiki page. I didn't know there was a 3rd bonus disc:

    Disc 3 (Special Edition package only)

    The album was also released as a Limited Special Edition box set including a Bonus CD featuring four alternate mixes and two live tracks.

    Gather ‘Round The Stone (Alternate Version Mix)
    Reason To Mourn (Alternate Mix)
    Get It Like You Like It (Live, Acoustic)
    Waiting For You (Alternate Mix)
    Morning Yearning (Alternate Mix)
    Beloved One (Live)


    I have that box set and it's a gem to have and behold. Great show he had at langerado and i even had some pictures from that show but where the hell they are I don't have a clue. I'll try and find them it's on an old laptop somewhere.

    Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

    *MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

    *The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)


  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,364
    I still hear you saying "All of life is chance, and is sweetest, is sweetest when at a glance". But I live, I live a hundred lifetimes in a day.
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,173
    Brisk. wrote:
    I still hear you saying "All of life is chance, and is sweetest, is sweetest when at a glance". But I live, I live a hundred lifetimes in a day.
    8-)
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

    1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
  • cockagecockage Posts: 447
    LukinFan wrote:
    g under p wrote:
    I'm not sure because when I saw and met BH backstage he was touring with the Innocent Criminals at that Langerado Festival In South Florida. A big thank you to Michael Franti who allowed me to meet him. After the show though it was a nightmare to leave that show some 3 hours we were stuck there.

    Peace
    That story sounds familiar. So freakin cool.

    According to wiki, I'm completely wrong:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Both_Sides_of_the_Gun

    The album saw Harper playing the majority of the instruments on both discs; an approach that he had rarely used on his previous albums. However, the Innocent Criminals would appear on a few tracks whilst his later band, Relentless7, would appear together for the first time on "Serve Your Soul", the last track on the second disc.

    And on a related note, I'm glad I went to the wiki page. I didn't know there was a 3rd bonus disc:

    Disc 3 (Special Edition package only)

    The album was also released as a Limited Special Edition box set including a Bonus CD featuring four alternate mixes and two live tracks.

    Gather ‘Round The Stone (Alternate Version Mix)
    Reason To Mourn (Alternate Mix)
    Get It Like You Like It (Live, Acoustic)
    Waiting For You (Alternate Mix)
    Morning Yearning (Alternate Mix)
    Beloved One (Live)

    here ya go....

    http://www.mediafire.com/?p77iqqspaw737x3
  • afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    afroannnie wrote:
    :thumbup:
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yhc2cDi66ug

    makes me want to get naked 8-)
  • afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    conman wrote:


    makes me want to get naked 8-)

    agreed 8-)
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
Sign In or Register to comment.