Options

would you spend 1400 to meet PJ? I

13»

Comments

• Options
    lcusicklcusick Posts: 310
    I am in my 50's and when I started going to concerts they were like $15.00. Prices for concerts has gotten way out of control. I only pay a lot cause fortunately, I can afford it. I am sure once I retire, I probably cannot, so I am going to enjoy concerts while I still can. But I have a limit as to what I will pay. For $1400.00, you could go on an awesome vacation with some loved ones and it would last more than one day. Just saying.....
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,023
    Cosmo wrote:
    I think the only way I'd think about it would be if:
    A. It is for a charity...
    B. It is for something very special... like being able to sit in on a rehearsal... or a tour of their studio... or I got to string Mike's '59 Strat or something.

If it's for charity, I would be down for that.
    A sit in on a rehearsal would be mind blowing!!!!

:D
  • Options
    yellowwhoyellowwho Posts: 1,661
    I don't think I would. To me it would feel very awkward and I think the band would probably feel the same way too. One of things I like most about them is the stuff they don't do. If you had a bunch of people meeting them for cash, it would almost feel scripted...Nice to meet you, next. I'd much rather meet randomly out somewhere.
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,826
    Fuck no
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    DeadmanDeadman Posts: 785
    I'd pay it. Hell, I'd pay 2400. BUT... it better include an EV koozie!

Seriously though, I'd pay it.
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I'd spend that to meet the band. I've gotten the oppurtunity to shake Boom's, Eddie's, and and Mike's hands. Memories are priceless. 8-)
  • Options
    PKTrekGirlPKTrekGirl Posts: 747
    Suziemay wrote:
    I'm against tiered pricing and VIP tickets. It implies that only people with money are allowed to meet the band/ sit up close. I'm glad PJ doesn't do it.

If PJ started doing that I think I would begin to lose interest in them. I can't see them doing that though.

This. I feel exactly the same way.

I have only met one rock star in my life - Bruce Springsteen. And I had the backstage passes I did (and thus got to chat with him and Patti) because of a volunteer cause I did a lot of work for, and which The Boss supported. The backstage passes I and others at the show got were all based on causes Bruce supported - NOT based on how much money any of us were willing to pay to meet him. Springsteen is nothing if not a decent guy who cares about his fans - even the ones who are not made of frakkin' money. Actually, especially the ones who are not made of frakkin' money. :D

If PJ were ever THAT uninterested in their fans, that they were only willing to chat with us if we paid them $1,400...that would be the day I'd no longer be interested in spending a single moment of my time with any of them. Egotistical assholes are not my cup of tea...even if they do make good music. And making themselves available only to the wealthy who are willing to pay them lots of money for the 'pleasure of their company' would be the height of egotism.

In truth, I can't imagine any of these $1,400 'opportunities' with rock stars are very authentic. I mean, what could a band possible say to me, knowing I paid $1,400 to talk to them? Talk about pressure! And what would I say, knowing that I paid that much? That' just not a normal basis of a good conversation. it's just not.

I mean, jeez....Pearl Jam is not some high priced hooker, for goodness sake! :lol: But I don't think they would ever do this...so I think I am safe from experiencing this massive hit to my interest levels.
  • Options
    pjamaholicpjamaholic Posts: 1,225
    Much as I love PJ and my efforts in trying to meet them have failed dismally to date, I would not pay this money to do so. I would love to meet them, but not for that amount of money and I dont believe in paying to meet a band anyway.
  • Options
    No, I never would, even though I would love to meet them someday.
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120
    this is sad, why not do it the way metallica does it and hold a fanclub lottery every show? I wouldnt spend 1400 to spend the day with PJ. I've met Eddie and Mike just hanging outside a venue.
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,826
    I wouldnt spend $1400 to meet Santa Claus, The Pope, or Jesus Christ.....

And I am pretty sure they wouldnt spend $1400 to meet me....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    mindimindi Posts: 1,858
    Suziemay wrote:
    I'm against tiered pricing and VIP tickets. It implies that only people with money are allowed to meet the band/ sit up close. I'm glad PJ doesn't do it.

If PJ started doing that I think I would begin to lose interest in them. I can't see them doing that though.
    Yep I agree.

That all said, I have no desire to meet them for free, so I wouldn't pay anything. Why would I want/need to meet them?
    To 10c; "Your PJ tshirt should be tight enough to show you're a woman and loose enough to show you're a lady." - bionicamy
  • Options
    PKTrekGirl wrote:
    Suziemay wrote:

This. I feel exactly the same way.

I have only met one rock star in my life - Bruce Springsteen. And I had the backstage passes I did (and thus got to chat with him and Patti) because of a volunteer cause I did a lot of work for, and which The Boss supported. The backstage passes I and others at the show got were all based on causes Bruce supported - NOT based on how much money any of us were willing to pay to meet him. Springsteen is nothing if not a decent guy who cares about his fans - even the ones who are not made of frakkin' money. Actually, especially the ones who are not made of frakkin' money. :D

If PJ were ever THAT uninterested in their fans, that they were only willing to chat with us if we paid them $1,400...that would be the day I'd no longer be interested in spending a single moment of my time with any of them. Egotistical assholes are not my cup of tea...even if they do make good music. And making themselves available only to the wealthy who are willing to pay them lots of money for the 'pleasure of their company' would be the height of egotism.

In truth, I can't imagine any of these $1,400 'opportunities' with rock stars are very authentic. I mean, what could a band possible say to me, knowing I paid $1,400 to talk to them? Talk about pressure! And what would I say, knowing that I paid that much? That' just not a normal basis of a good conversation. it's just not.

I mean, jeez....Pearl Jam is not some high priced hooker, for goodness sake! :lol: But I don't think they would ever do this...so I think I am safe from experiencing this massive hit to my interest levels.

I wouldn't pay that, either. But, why so high and mighty? Who cares if they did this? If you're not buying, why do you care?

You make a lot of great points about authenticity, etc. But, why care if they do this? That wouldn't be your problem. It wouldn't end the world or change their music.

Why is it egotistical? If folks will pay, so be it. If not, then fine. Nothing ego about it. And, if you didn't realize, to get up on stage and do what they do already requires quite a huge ego. I'm sure it didn't bother you when Eddie called us a bunch of f*!kers! Me neither. That was fun!!! But, quite egotistical that he knew he could get away with that.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Pay for access to another human being?
    No thanks, not unless it involves acts of perversion and, well, the guys in PJ are just not my type. :lol:
  • Options
    URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,644
    Members of PJ have done high priced meet & greets but all were for charity.
    Mike's FTM does special promotions - play on stage w/the band, get pic's & sig's but $ goes to charity.
    Ed did a lottery for his LA solo show a few yrs back and got almost $3000 for WM3.
    All you had to do to meet Stone was plant a few trees.

As long as someone besides the band members are benefitting from the cash then I don't see a problem throwing down the dough, but I myself prefer spontaneous meet ups, since I don't really have a bunch of dough to throw down.
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,880
    would not...my relationship with the band is through the music...if we met it would be dissapointing...
    you'd find that they are just mediums in which the music flows...

most pictures of the band with fans they are looking away, not happy, like a wild animal caught in headlights...

if you've met the band and feel otherwise...very cool...I've breifly talked with CC and he was very nice...did not pay VIP to do it
  • Options
    vedderman72vedderman72 Posts: 387
    Suziemay wrote:

You are in la la land I know for a fact that the people with money to burn get better seats and get to meet the band and all that shit. If it makes you feel better keep on thinking that, its all ways going to be that way more money equals more power. And more power equals better seats backstage passes etc.
    Indianapolis, Indiana 11-24-1991 East Troy, Wisconsin 08-29-1992 West Lafayette, Indiana 03-17-1994 Milwaukee, Wisconsin 07-09-1995 Chicago, Illinois 07-11-1995 East Troy, Wisconsin 06-26-1998 Auburn Hills, Michigan 10-07-2000 Chicago, Illinois 09-23-2002 Noblesville, Indiana 06-22-2003 Toledo, Ohio 10-02-2004 Chicago, Illinois 10-05-2005 Grand Rapids, MI 05-19-2006 Chicago, Illinois 08-02-2007 Chicago, Illinois 08-23-2009 Noblesville, Indiana 05-07-2010 East Troy, Wisconsin 09-03-2011 East Troy, Wisconsin 09-04-2011 Chicago, IL 07-19-2013
  • Options
    I think a lot are missing the point. With these VIP experiences comes front row (or very close) seats (and for $1,400 it would be FIRST row) plus some goodies. So, the question really is - would you pay this for FRONT row seats, a lithograph/special poster, a goody bag of specials and a meet & greet?

My answer is still no. Even though I could afford that, I couldn't justify that. But, the $1,400 would not simply be meet Eddie in a contrived setting.

And I'm guessing it framing the question this way would change some folks minds (just for the special "collectible" poster).....

As others have said, I paid more than this to meet all you fine folks last Labor Day Weekend, so you're worth more than meeting the band to me (at least going on my 2 answers here). :D
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,952
    Nah.
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    Suziemay wrote:

You are in la la land I know for a fact that the people with money to burn get better seats and get to meet the band and all that shit. If it makes you feel better keep on thinking that, its all ways going to be that way more money equals more power. And more power equals better seats backstage passes etc.
    People get backstage passes and better seats today that have nothing to do with paying an obscene packaged price endorsed by the band. Sure, if you're a celebrity or someone with money and power I'm sure there are ways to get to the front that involves paying a lot of money. That's just life. My point is that Pearl Jam is not releasing tickets to the general public on a tiered basis the way some other bands are and I like it that way.

If that means I'm in "la la land" then fine. You might want to visit some time, it's really nice here.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,436
    Suziemay wrote:

I actually live in L.A. land, and many people I know are not rich, but they have access to great seats/backstage. If it makes you feel better, keep on thinking that only money/power can get you what you want in life.

BTW, Suziemay, we have lunch reservations for 2pm at the la la land fantasy diner!
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    BTW, Suziemay, we have lunch reservations for 2pm at the la la land fantasy diner!
    Is that an invitation? :D
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,436
    Suziemay wrote:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Is that an invitation? :D

sure....since we are both in la la land!
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,528
    JR86440 wrote:
    saw Motley Crue is charging 1400 for VIP seats and a meet and greet with the whole band!! 1400?? I almost fell out of my chair, who the heck is going to spend 1400 to see a bunch of tools?

Senrock? ;):lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14