Afghanistan

Comments

• CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    Afghanistan wants us out of Afghanistan...
    Should we stay or should we go, now?
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    NOW but I think they are waiting for another country in dire need of saving
    to send the troops to :?
    that might take a year or two to arrange :o
    sassy I am today ...

must be FRIDAY!!! :D
  • IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    edited March 2012
    Afghan Probe: More Than a Dozen US Troops Involved in Massacre

A member of the Afghan parliamentary investigation team into last weekend’s massacre of civilians, Kandahar MP Naheem Lalai Hameedzai, says that the probe has concluded the massacre was carried out by a team of US soldiers, and not a lone individual.

If confirmed, the threats would also appear to support the Afghan probe’s version of the massacre, which had an organized group of over a dozen US troops carrying out the massacre, as opposed to a lone man, as the US maintains.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/afghan-villagers-told-they-would-pay-for-bomb-days-ahead-of-massacre-of-16/story-e6frg6so-1226305886039
    Post edited by Idris on
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,383
    ^^^^^ it seems as if ballistics could confirm or deny this. do the afghans even have that capability?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:
    ^^^^^ it seems as if ballistics could confirm or deny this. do the afghans even have that capability?
    That was my thought.
    This whole massacre sickens me. It paints our involvement over there with one brush.
    Time to cut our losses and leave that place. WAY past the time to leave.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
    Cosmo wrote:
    imalive wrote:
    That was my thought.
    This whole massacre sickens me. It paints our involvement over there with one brush.
    Time to cut our losses and leave that place. WAY past the time to leave.

cuz god knows there would be no credibility (fair or not fair) if the U.S. conducted the tests.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    edited March 2012
    Edit
    Post edited by Idris on
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    I'm only going by news reports, but the outrage over 16 people getting massacred seems to pale in comparison to the Koran burning.
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    Jason P wrote:
    I'm only going by news reports, but the outrage over 16 people getting massacred seems to pale in comparison to the Koran burning.

Oh for sure
  • imalive wrote:

No they do not have that capability.
    "I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as Josh Homme"
    Afghan Officials Change Story: Kandahar Massacre May Have Only Had One Shooter

Everybody Saw Several Troops, But No One Saw More Than One Shooter

http://news.antiwar.com/2012/03/21/afghan-officials-change-story-kandahar-massacre-may-have-only-had-one-shooter/
    Idris wrote:

http://news.antiwar.com/2012/03/21/afghan-officials-change-story-kandahar-massacre-may-have-only-had-one-shooter/

^^^^ good to hear

it's still time to go, IMO.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,211
    On an aside, I just watched the documentary called Restrepo. Insane what those boys go through.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1559549/
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    On an aside, I just watched the documentary called Restrepo. Insane what those boys go through.
    Yeah, I saw that one and recommend it too.
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    Jason P wrote:
    Yeah, I saw that one and recommend it too.

I also recommend it!

It is sad that Tim Hetherington died in Libya. :(
    imalive wrote:
    Idris wrote:

^^^^ good to hear

it's still time to go, IMO.
    Agreed. I was hoping it was the act on one individual... although I can understand why and how other soldiers would want to do the same thing. The soldiers and their families are the ONLY ones shouldering the war. The rest of us aren't doing jack shit. We aren't even paying for this war... or kids and grandkids are footing the bill. We keep cycling our troops in and out of that fucking place and wonder why one of them goes psycho. We should be surprized more of them are going psycho.
    Maybe... the FUCKING COWARDS that are beating the drums of War with Iran are learning from our screw ups in Iraq and Afghanistan.
    My guess... they aren't learning jack fucking shit.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    Here we go again.  Or should I say still re. this endless war.

The Pentagon is “deeply concerned” about the deteriorating situation in Afghanistan, as the Taliban completed their sweep of Afghanistan’s south on Friday, taking four more provincial capitals in a lightning offensive that brought them closer to the capital, Kabul, just weeks before the US is set to officially end its two-decade war.

The Biden administration has begun rushing 3,000 troops to Kabul’s airport to help with a partial evacuation of the US embassy. The move highlights the stunning speed of the Taliban takeover of much of the country, including their capture on Thursday of Kandahar, the second-largest city and the birthplace of the Taliban movement.

“We are certainly concerned by the speed with which the Taliban has been moving,” the Pentagon press spokesman, John Kirby, said at a briefing on Friday afternoon.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    It was a dumb war.  GWB is a war criminal.  But this is typical of America today.  Create a bigger mess and bug out.
    and for that asshole Bush to use NATO’s article 5 to rope us into that fucking mess is why I lost so much respect for the USA.  

I feel for the woman and children…they will be brutalized by the Taliban, hell it’s already started.

I do think NATO has to support the Afghan army in some way.

I agree with Joe Biden when he said “it’s their country, they need to fight for it.”  

But it is a bigger mess more than ever…

Just a lot of wasted lives for nothing…

Give Peas A Chance…
  • RenfieldRenfield NYC NY Posts: 1,054
    brianlux said:
    Here we go again.  Or should I say still re. this endless war.

The Pentagon is “deeply concerned” about the deteriorating situation in Afghanistan, as the Taliban completed their sweep of Afghanistan’s south on Friday, taking four more provincial capitals in a lightning offensive that brought them closer to the capital, Kabul, just weeks before the US is set to officially end its two-decade war.

The Biden administration has begun rushing 3,000 troops to Kabul’s airport to help with a partial evacuation of the US embassy. The move highlights the stunning speed of the Taliban takeover of much of the country, including their capture on Thursday of Kandahar, the second-largest city and the birthplace of the Taliban movement.

“We are certainly concerned by the speed with which the Taliban has been moving,” the Pentagon press spokesman, John Kirby, said at a briefing on Friday afternoon.

Now the imminent threat is upon Kabul.  
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,429
    all of that military equipment dropped where they fucking stood.  I guesd the Taliban are the only ones willing to fight for theor fucked version of a country. Certainly your average Afghani wasn't given how many just surrendered.

THEY are the reason we shouldn't have stayed as long as we did.

so, now we need to napalm all the poppy fields. Sucks for those farmers but they are pawns anyway. eliminate that source of income and the heroin and opium that come from it.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14

Wow.  20 years of progress being undone in weeks.  The Afghan military and political leaders must have just rolled over.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    It sounds like many afghans who helped NATO countries may not be able to get out.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    The president of Afghanistan has fled…it’s over.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    It sounds like many afghans who helped NATO countries may not be able to get out.  

A small thing we as individuals can do to help is to donate here: https://nooneleft.org/default.aspx?

It's a very small thing, indeed, but it's something.

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602

Wow.  20 years of progress being undone in weeks.  The Afghan military and political leaders must have just rolled over.  
    They did.  They were bribed and capitulated. It was always a house of cards. 
    mrussel1 said:

I'm guessing you read the same WaPo article as I did.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • RenfieldRenfield NYC NY Posts: 1,054
    mrussel1 said:

US was saying 30 days, it took 3 and Kabul was handed to the Taliban. 
    Renfield said:
    mrussel1 said:

US was saying 30 days, it took 3 and Kabul was handed to the Taliban. 

<<The spectacular collapse of Afghanistan’s military that allowed Taliban fighters to reach the gates of Kabul on Sunday despite twenty years of training and billions of dollars in American aid began with a series of deals brokered in rural villages between the militant group and some of the Afghan government’s lowest-ranking officials.

The deals, initially offered early last year, were often described by Afghan officials as cease-fires, but Taliban leaders were in fact offering money in exchange for government forces to hand over their weapons, according to an Afghan officer and a U.S. official.

Over the next year and a half, the meetings advanced to the district level and then rapidly on to provincial capitals, culminating in a breathtaking series of negotiated surrenders by government forces, according to interviews with more than a dozen Afghan officers, police, special operations troops and other soldiers.>>

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    mrussel1 said:

I'm guessing you read the same WaPo article as I did.
    Yeah.  No surprise. 

I find it interesting that the Republicans are calling it Biden's "Saigon moment".  I say.. I hope so. That would be great.  If the fall taught us anything it's that the war was for nothing and losing S. Vietnam had no long term geopolitical consequences.  Vietnam is now a fairly modern,  trading partner.  The ramification was the human toll, of which we were just as responsible.