The National Football League

Comments

• Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    I guess Teddy Roosevelt saved football.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/05/opinion/g ... index.html
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    Depressing time of the year kicks in....no real football games for 7 months. What the hell am I going to do on Sundays now?
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    Depressing time of the year kicks in....no real football games for 7 months. What the hell am I going to do on Sundays now?

february BLOWS.

time to jump start the diet :mrgreen:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276

get stoned and watch nascar. :lol:

Daytona is good times.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380

:cry: You have no idea how much this depresses me. I need a new excuse to be lazy and drink beer all day on Sundays now!!!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    Mamasan23 wrote:

:cry: You have no idea how much this depresses me. I need a new excuse to be lazy and drink beer all day on Sundays now!!!

I know! 81's idea of watching nascar makes me want to cry.
    81 wrote:

Daytona is good times.

daytona.... :lol::lol::lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    soooo....nobody wants to head to talladega in May
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

what is in talladega in may?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • cowboypjfancowboypjfan Posts: 2,453
    81 wrote:

what is in talladega in may?

Dream Weekend! :lol:

http://www.talladegasuperspeedway.com/T ... s-499.aspx
    don't be a hater :P
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    Mamasan23 wrote:

I know! 81's idea of watching nascar makes me want to cry.

:lol: Sorry 81...no love for Nascar here! I've got a sweet sports package through my satellite...I will find something to watch on Sundays...rugby maybe? Hell I'll even follow lacrosse if I have to. Give me SOMETHING!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
    i won't be lacking for things to watch...plenty of hockey and basketball going on right now...a couple of nascar races to watch (daytona, talladega) and if all else fails, there is HBO.

and if that doesn't cut it...baseball will be starting up soon enough. always a good time watching the cubs get their heads bashed in. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    81 wrote:

Daytona is good times.
    Daytona is fun to watch and I'm not a Nascar fan.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    Newch91 wrote:
    81 wrote:

Daytona is good times.
    Daytona is fun to watch and I'm not a Nascar fan.

i wonder how much money someone would have to pay me to watch a nascar race from start to finish :think:

i'd rather watch women's bowling over nascar
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • ricky-williams-smoking-weed.jpeg
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    3/13/12 4pm = Free agency :D:D:D
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • cowboypjfancowboypjfan Posts: 2,453
    Prayers go out to Tommie Harris and family. 29 is too young, not to mention just having twins 4 months ago.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ies-at-29/
  • 407872_10151272992250062_594680061_22346333_1700976024_n.jpg
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • haley-iroc-600x339.jpg

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Los Pollos Hermanos Posts: 4,957
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    we got the PED thing under control :roll:

landry_crop_340x234.jpg?1330053386
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    so looks like the rams are set on trading down...
    chinese-happy.jpg
    so looks like the rams are set on trading down...

let me put on my shocked face

:shock:

:lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    imalive wrote:
    we got the PED thing under control :roll:

landry_crop_340x234.jpg?1330053386
    He looks like Cole from Gears of War video game. :shock:
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    this would be surprising if it wasn't
    Saints looking at severe punishment for bounty system

The National Football League on Friday found the New Orleans Saints guilty of a wide-ranging system of bounty payments to between 22 and 27 defensive players from 2009 through 2011, and player-safety-conscious commissioner Roger Goodell could bring the hammer down very hard on the franchise.

The most alarming finding by the league, according to one club source who was briefed on the investigation late Friday afternoon, was this: Before the 2009 NFC Championship Game, Saints linebacker Jonathan Vilma offered any defensive teammate $10,000 in cash to knock then-Vikings quarterback Brett Favre out of the game. Favre was hit viciously several times in the game. That fact was in a report to the 32 NFL owners, sent out by the league to detail further what the league's 50,000-page investigation found.

Early indications late Friday afternoon were that the sanctions against the Saints and their former defensive coordinator who the league said administered the bounties, Gregg Williams, will be severe. The league said the penalties could include suspensions, fines and loss of draft choices -- the latter of which could be particularly damaging to the Saints, who do not own a first-round pick this year. Their first choice will be late in the second round, the 59th overall ... unless Goodell takes the pick away.

Goodell is angry about this sustained use of paying players to hurt players on other teams. There's little doubt the penalties on the Saints will be worse than what the league did to the Patriots for the Spygate scandal in 2007. Coach Bill Belichick was fined $500,000 and the franchise fined $250,000 and docked a first-round draft choice for videotaping opponents' signals during games in violation of league rules. It would not be surprising, judging by the seriousness of the findings, that Williams, recently hired as the defensive coordinator of the Rams, would face a multi-game suspension.

At 5:30 p.m. ET on Friday, Williams issued an apology: "I want to express my sincere regret and apology to the NFL, Mr. Benson, and the New Orleans Saints fans for my participation in the 'pay for performance' program while I was with the Saints," Williams said. "It was a terrible mistake, and we knew it was wrong while we were doing it. Instead of getting caught up in it, I should have stopped it. I take full responsibility for my role. I am truly sorry. I have learned a hard lesson and I guarantee that I will never participate in or allow this kind of activity to happen again."

A stern Goodell and a team of NFL officials -- league counsel Jeff Pash and NFL Security officials who headed up the investigation -- summoned Saints coach Sean Payton and general manager Mickey Loomis to New York Thursday to inform them of the seriousness of the investigation. Then Pash flew to New Orleans Thursday night to brief Saints owner Tom Benson.

Payton, the league says, was not "a direct participant'' in the bounty program but was aware of it and did nothing to stop it. Loomis could be in more trouble. The league claims Loomis was told by Benson to stop the program and didn't.

The league said there was an initial investigation, after the 2009 season, into a bounty system led by Williams that could not be corroborated. Then, Goodell said "significant and credible'' new information was forthcoming late in the 2011 season that led to the findings the league acted on Friday. Those conclusions found that Saints players were paid off-the-books incentives for some outstanding performances such as interceptions -- obviously in violation of the league's salary cap -- as well as $1,000 and $1,500 payments for injuring opposing players.

"The payments here are particularly troubling because they involved not just payments for performance, but also for injuring opposing players," Goodell said in a league statement Friday afternoon. The bounty rule, Goodell said, protects "two key elements of NFL football: player safety and competitive integrity. It is our responsibility to protect player safety and the integrity of our game, and this type of conduct will not be tolerated. We have made significant progress in changing the culture with respect to player safety and we are not going to relent. We have more work to do and we will do it."

The league, led by director of investigative services Joe Hummel and chief league security officer Jeff Miller, discovered these violations:

• Players pooled their own money to fund the bounty club, and players were paid $1,500 if a foe was knocked out of the game, and $1,000 if an opponent was carted off the field.

• Between 22 and 27 players contributed to the bounty pool over a three-year period, with amounts guaranteed if a certain opposing player was knocked out of the game.

• Williams occasionally reached into his own pocket to contribute to the bounty pool.

• Benson said when he was informed of the new and credible evidence that the bounty program was going strong after the 2011 season, he directed Loomis to make sure the program ceased. "There is no evidence that Mr. Loomis took any effective action to stop these practices,'' the league's statement said.

Since mid-2010, when a spate of head injuries ratcheted up the NFL's attention to player safety, Goodell has been nearly manic about player safety. The league has heavily fined players for excessive and late hits on players, and Goodell's relationship with many prominent players in the league has been radically affected because of it. That's why the penalties in this case will be significantly more severe -- almost certainly -- than what was levied on the Patriots four seasons ago. It's hard enough for players to stay on the field in the first place, never mind when a team is purposely trying to injure them.

That's why you can expect Goodell to issue the most severe penalties of his six-year reign on the Saints as soon as late this month. Players will be watching this case closely, particularly heavily fined players like James Harrison. If Williams gets away without a six-figure fine plus suspension, players will think Goodell is softer on the ringleaders than the players.

Messages to Williams, Payton and Loomis were not immediately returned to SI.com Friday afternoon. Saints owner Tom Benson issued this statement: "I have been made aware of the NFL's findings relative to the 'Bounty Rule' and how it relates to our club. I have offered and the NFL has received our full cooperation in their investigation. While the findings may be troubling, we look forward to putting this behind us and winning more championships in the future for our fans."

It could be a while, a long while, before the findings, as Benson calls them, can be put behind the Saints.
    Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/w ... z1o0IdUv1d
    this will always be my favorite bounty scandal:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bounty_Bowl

the good old days :mrgreen:
    chinese-happy.jpg
    sooo...where does manning go?

and i'm going to be the first to predict...Luck Sucks for indy :P
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg